Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have heard absolutely nothing about a possible Lyon deal advancing from any club sources. So not sure this is any less speculative than a United deal. That being said, I dont think he's ready for United.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is this still alive?
I honestly doubt this. It would be an amazing move for him personally, but he's not good enough (yet). I wouldn't go as far as comparing him to Buttner, since he's way better, but he's just not ready.

BarstoolProphet

I honestly doubt this. It would be an amazing move for him personally, but he's not good enough (yet). I wouldn't go as far as comparing him to Buttner, since he's way better, but he's just not ready.
Was interesting to read the start of the Eredivisie thread. He was namedropped as one of those not good enough going into the season. He must have made one hell of a progress this season for him to be linked with big clubs abroad.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Was interesting to read the start of the Eredivisie thread. He was namedropped as one of those not good enough going into the season. He must have made one hell of a progress this season for him to be linked with big clubs abroad.
Yeah bit of a weird trajectory for him. He started amazingly well for Feyenoord at 17, but then fell off majorly and was labeled a dud. This year under Slot he's been amazing though and above all he's just a really nice dude, so I hope he keeps it up.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yeah bit of a weird trajectory for him. He started amazingly well for Feyenoord at 17, but then fell off majorly and was labeled a dud. This year under Slot he's been amazing though and above all he's just a really nice dude, so I hope he keeps it up.
He seems like the type of player who will be able to latch on to a higher level and tag along.. He has the mentality and the physique for it and I must say.. He developed himself really well both in how calm and less rash he is defensively and how secure he is on the ball..

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
We need a RB much more than a LB.
BrilliantOrange didn't argue that point, only that people come here to discuss Malacia is all, probably best to take that to the relevant thread.

On Malacia, I haven't seen a lot but I think we need to prioritise first XI and I don't see him displacing Shaw so would rather we left this for now unless we could swap for a player we aren't interested in and don't have to outlay the funds.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
BrilliantOrange didn't argue that point, only that people come here to discuss Malacia is all, probably best to take that to the relevant thread.

On Malacia, I haven't seen a lot but I think we need to prioritise first XI and I don't see him displacing Shaw so would rather we left this for now unless we could swap for a player we aren't interested in and don't have to outlay the funds.
Indeed

LuckyScout78

I havent watch a full match of him. But from his videoclips:

In shorts words and desciptions :

+ A really good tackler
+ Aggresive and good one on one
+ Athletic and run a lot
+ A good enough crosser for me.

And as an example. Nothing against United legend Gary Neville. Overall basic ball skills. This boy is above Gary Neville. So its all about the mentality. Where Neville was on top. The boy is a really good tackler. It mean he is a good figther too. High fighting spirit and mentality.

A really good tackler and good one on one. For me, defend and protect your goal come first as a defender.

I think he is on same level as Luke Shaw or better. Not 100 % sure. And i prefer him over Telles. Then its only the reserve left back option Álvaro Fernandez. Who looks promising. But again.
Tyrell Malacia defend ability. I rate it really high. I really high defender who is really good to defend. And those players and practise football everyday and have reach this level. I have expect them to have good basic football ability. Like running with ball, short, long passes, combination football, crossesr and finish.

But the art to defend. Its another question.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I havent watch a full match of him. But from his videoclips:

In shorts words and desciptions :

+ A really good tackler
+ Aggresive and good one on one
+ Athletic and run a lot
+ A good enough crosser for me.

And as an example. Nothing against United legend Gary Neville. Overall basic ball skills. This boy is above Gary Neville. So its all about the mentality. Where Neville was on top. The boy is a really good tackler. It mean he is a good figther too. High fighting spirit and mentality.

A really good tackler and good one on one. For me, defend and protect your goal come first as a defender.

I think he is on same level as Luke Shaw or better. Not 100 % sure. And i prefer him over Telles. Then its only the reserve left back option Álvaro Fernandez. Who looks promising. But again.
Tyrell Malacia defend ability. I rate it really high. I really high defender who is really good to defend. And those players and practise football everyday and have reach this level. I have expect them to have good basic football ability. Like running with ball, short, long passes, combination football, crossesr and finish.

But the art to defend. Its another question.
His cross is actually something he has to work on. He tends to be overenthusiastic in his delivery. You are right that his defending ability and overall tenaciousness are his standout abilities though.

Bestietom

We have young Fernandez who is doing great for under 23s and ready to move up.

Bojan Djordjic

We have young Fernandez who is doing great for under 23s and ready to move up.
He hasn't played a minute of senior football. I think its wildly optimistic that he could be back up to Shaw in the event Telles is sold, which he should be.

Bestietom

He hasn't played a minute of senior football. I think its wildly optimistic that he could be back up to Shaw in the event Telles is sold, which he should be.
He is taught very highly of and he will go on tour with first team this summer according to reports.

Bojan Djordjic

He is taught very highly of and he will go on tour with first team this summer according to reports.
He's very talented no doubt but he still makes errors at U23s and while I definitely would like to see him getting minutes in Europa League/minor cup comps, there's no way he's ready to be second choice LB with how injury prone Shaw is. I mean, Shaw has had loads of injuries and Telles is oft claimed to be the worst player ever seen in a United shirt and yet Fernandez still didn't get minutes. His time will come but he's not ready for that just yet.

Bestietom

He's very talented no doubt but he still makes errors at U23s and while I definitely would like to see him getting minutes in Europa League/minor cup comps, there's no way he's ready to be second choice LB with how injury prone Shaw is. I mean, Shaw has had loads of injuries and Telles is oft claimed to be the worst player ever seen in a United shirt and yet Fernandez still didn't get minutes. His time will come but he's not ready for that just yet.
We will see what Ten Hag thinks of him very soon.

Bojan Djordjic

Can't help think Owen Wijndal would be a better option for United. Supposedly available for just 10mn and this season he's had 11 assists so far.

rbnZz

Can't help think Owen Wijndal would be a better option for United. Supposedly available for just 10mn and this season he's had 11 assists so far.
Wijndal has 1 problem, he can't defend. Is quite important as defender.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

People say that about Trent Alexander Arnold but I think it's more important for high level clubs to have full backs that are good in build up and attacking phases of play than it is to have elite defensive qualities. Wijndal may not be Malacia from a defensive standpoint but he has a €10mn release clause so to me it'd be a no brainer. 10 assists from full back is insane.

rbnZz

People say that about Trent Alexander Arnold but I think it's more important for high level clubs to have full backs that are good in build up and attacking phases of play than it is to have elite defensive qualities. Wijndal may not be Malacia from a defensive standpoint but he has a €10mn release clause so to me it'd be a no brainer. 10 assists from full back is insane.
I understand your point of view but imo your wrong. I liked in when Sir Alex Ferguson made us so defensive good, that sometimes we knew our opponent wouldn't score. Also for the strikers, that is the best feeling. They had to score 1 goal, that would have been enough. With defenders like Wijndal, it looks amazing. He will keep attacking, probably also be important but I'm convinced that we can't keep the clean sheat because of him. He is such a poor defender, every counterattack he will be a sitting duck.

Theo88

Happy to land him as long as his name is pronounced MalaKia.

This lad will sell some shirts in Greece

Bojan Djordjic

I understand your point of view but imo your wrong. I liked in when Sir Alex Ferguson made us so defensive good, that sometimes we knew our opponent wouldn't score. Also for the strikers, that is the best feeling. They had to score 1 goal, that would have been enough. With defenders like Wijndal, it looks amazing. He will keep attacking, probably also be important but I'm convinced that we can't keep the clean sheat because of him. He is such a poor defender, every counterattack he will be a sitting duck.
He’s still very young and it’s far easier to improve defensive skills than offensive. Also, the aim under ten Hag is that we defend as a team and not as individuals. By keeping possession and having players that can play football, you are reducing the opportunities to concede goals. Obviously, it is dependent on other signings but as a back up to Shaw I think he would be absolutely fine and a more attacking option to bring on if needed.

daba

With the links to other clubs and the fact Rangnick stated that 10 out of the 11 starting yday would be here next year (ie. we will still have Telles) I don’t see this happening.

I also agree with the view that he doesn’t look strong enough offensively / on the ball to suit the style we want to be playing moving

Would much rather we sort out the RB position anyway… to the Timber thread.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Used to be. Nowadays it seems less and less people seem to care about how well defenders defend. Even goalkeepers are judged on what they do going forward more than anything else it seems.

At the top level, defending has changed conceptually. High lines, recovery speed and offside traps is the way now, as well as keeping the ball away from your opponents in the first place.

Bojan Djordjic

We made that mistake with Telles
Telles's numbers were boosted by his set pieces though. Wijndal is quick, energetic and over and underlaps.

Telles is a weirdo. He neither makes the correct attacking runs you want to create space but yet he still manages to find himself in the most mind numbingly stupid positions when the opposition are attacking.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Wijndal isn't better than Malacia at anything but crossing.

He's got a better left foot, but if he's not afforded a lot of time or space he is not a better footballer than Malacia.

Happy to land him as long as his name is pronounced MalaKia.

This lad will sell some shirts in Greece
More like mala cya. Sorry to disappoint.

AFC NimbleThumb

The game has moved on from Feegies years though, look at City & Liverpool, both got it right up front then City cycled through CBs whilst Pool settled on VvD.

We tried the ‘sort defence’ method with AWB & Maguire to no great effect, no matter how good you are defensively the game means you’ll always concede. We struggle because whilst our defence is horrific we barely create/convert enough to even occasionally render that a non-issue.

I love Fergie, we won’t win anything trying to emulate what he did a decade+ ago though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Used to be. Nowadays it seems less and less people seem to care about how well defenders defend. Even goalkeepers are judged on what they do going forward more than anything else it seems.

At the top level, defending has changed conceptually. High lines, recovery speed and offside traps is the way now, as well as keeping the ball away from your opponents in the first place.
defending had changed, its more built around speed and ability to recover quickly these days. However its still very important. Telles and Dalot are literally slaughtering us. That doesn't happen at Liverpool as their FBs know how to defend.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Tomorrows Conference League final should be a good opportunity for all interested in him to watch him...

Blood Mage

Yeah probably a bit too raw to make the step up to the Prem right now. Let him go to Lyon and see how he does there.

LuckyScout78

Roma vs Feyenoord
Right now and before that match. As left back. Good enough for United XI line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.