U17 World Cup to now be held every year & next 5 to be held in Qatar

Santos J

A totally normal idea that as FIFA say is clearly only due to their steadfast commitment to youth football!

bstb3

A totally normal idea that as FIFA say is clearly only due to their steadfast commitment to youth football!

Logically if it is going to be every year (which maybe is fairer on a young age bracket - means everyone under 16 gets a chance, rather than being 'under 16' in the right year of two) it makes sense to have a fixed location to streamline the logistics and planning. Can't imagine how they came to choo$e Qatar though.

Oranges038

Logically if it is going to be every year (which is fairer on a young age bracket - means everyone under 16 gets a chance, rather than being under 16 in the right year of two) it makes sense to have a fixed location to streamline the logistics and planning. Can't imagine how they came to choo$e Qatar though.
It ₩a$ an €a$¥ d€ci$ion.

thisisnottaken1

But fecking why? This is just ruining the sport. These young athletes will have the stamina of a 50 year old by the time they’re 20.

didz

I was 100% certain this was going to be a parody thread.

But it makes perfect sense when you think about it. An opportunity for developing youngsters to sample some of the finest facilities worldwide, right off the back of a World Cup that will live long in the memory for its excellence. This is the country where Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe did battle, with one becoming a champion and the other a world star. There is no better venue to inspire tomorrow's most distinguished talents.

What's that? Qatar aren't gonna pay me for promotion? Oh.. nevermind..

Eric_the_Red99

It is hilarious that there was all that fuss over Blatter a few years ago but now things are objectively far worse, with nobody even pretending to do anything about it. There really is no hope, is there?

RoyH1

FIFA has lost the plot utterly and absolutely and Infantino's corruption by oil money complete

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Under 17s should not even have a world cup, let them be kids for gods sake
How does a football tournament stop anyone from being a kid? These are kids who love playing football and the opportunity to compete internationally is one of the greatest memories they will ever have.

One of my mates scoring on Jordan Pickford from over 70 yards at the u17s World Cup is still talked about in our circles over 10 years on. Many players from my club got the chance to draw against England and is a happy childhood memory. Should they have sat at home “being kids” instead?

Having the tournament every season makes perfect sense to give every age group a chance at it. Being in Qatar for 5 years not as much.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How does a football tournament stop anyone from being a kid? These are kids who love playing football and the opportunity to compete internationally is one of the greatest memories they will ever have.

One of my mates scoring on Jordan Pickford from over 70 yards at the u17s World Cup is still talked about in our circles over 10 years on. Many players from my club got the chance to draw against England and is a happy childhood memory. Should they have sat at home “being kids” instead?

Having the tournament every season makes perfect sense to give every age group a chance at it. Being in Qatar for 5 years not as much.
If anyone is scoring from that range that means they aren't scoring on anybody.

If FIFA are increasing the tournaments they should be increasing the funding because this isn't cheap for all but like 5-6 associations to fund.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If anyone is scoring from that range that means they aren't scoring on anybody.

If FIFA are increasing the tournaments they should be increasing the funding because this isn't cheap for all but like 5-6 associations to fund.
No, it means he scored on Jordan Pickford.

Oranges038

This goal? Pickford made a right mess of that.

babablue

At first hearing, it sounds like a parody, but thinking about it for more than a few minutes, there is logic to it.

It gives more kids a chance to play. And logistically, it avoids having to repeat the host bidding process every year. It also allows the host country to actually get value out of the infrastructure that was built for the tournament. Qatar just hosted a WC 15 months ago, they are probably well suited for this. I expect the 5 year thing to continue for future hosts as well.

And of course, the headline conveniently leaves out that Morocco is also hosting the female edition for 5 years as well, just to lean in to a conspiracy narrative.

Reactions: Rood

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
At first hearing, it sounds like a parody, but thinking about it for more than a few minutes, there is logic to it.

It gives more kids a chance to play. And logistically, it avoids having to repeat the host bidding process every year. It also allows the host country to actually get value out of the infrastructure that was built for the tournament. Qatar just hosted a WC 15 months ago, they are probably well suited for this. I expect the 5 year thing to continue for future hosts as well.

And of course, the headline conveniently leaves out that Morocco is also hosting the female edition for 5 years as well, just to lean in to a conspiracy narrative.
Don't all of these apply to adult football as well? Should we do the same?

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
It is hilarious that there was all that fuss over Blatter a few years ago but now things are objectively far worse, with nobody even pretending to do anything about it. There really is no hope, is there?
I was thinking the same :lol: what Sepp did (which was pretty corrupt and disgraceful on its own right) comparatively speaking is a very, very light version of what Infantino is getting away with lately.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

For a large number of countries the financial burden in the qualifying processes increases dramatically. This is especially difficult when you take into account there are mens and womens competitions for U17, U20, Olympic and senior competitions.
Its an awful idea for this alone. FIFA doesnt pay the travel costs and all the hidden costs in countries national training camps in the selection processes for their national sides, they dont pay for all the staff wages during qualifying competitions, they dont pay all thr travel and accomodation costs during qualifying competitions. These costs all cause a large number of countries financial pressures already. This just adds to the financial pressures and only a small number of countries get the financial benefit of having qualified.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Will we be seeing more cases of presenters virtue signalling at the beginning of the tournaments while happily taking the same people's money?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Don't have an issue with it being every year, good opportunity for more kids to experience this kind of thing

5 years in the same place is bizarre though

Note the Women's equivalent will be in Morocco for 5yrs too - they at least are planning for WC2030 so some logic to it

But who ever follows the U17 WC anyway? Not like it's a big TV thing or anything, I doubt many go live either

I doubt many know who won the last one or where it was without googling

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Every average player has a career long enough to participate in 3-4 World Cups, so that's fair to everyone. At youth level bigger intervals between tournaments result in it being more difficult for the younger eligible players to participate, so that's actually a sensible argument for them.

The infrastructure is not really a point for me, tournaments should be held in countries that make good use of that anyway, but streamlining the process by giving the tournament for multiple years to the same country is also a smart solution to reduce the organisational load of more tournaments.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
When you think about it most other international sport federations host their World championships either annually or biennially. Football (+ Rugby, Cricket) World Cups being held every 4 years is atypical and has more to do with logistics and economics of the sport rather than anything. We could realistically host a FIFA Men's world cup every year if it was being hosted in the same country all the time.

Yes but there's more returns to be had in Adult football so it's worth the organisational endeavour. Same doesn't apply to Junior or women's football.

edit: Adult Men's football

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yes but there's more returns to be had in Adult football so it's worth the organisational endeavour. Same doesn't apply to Junior or women's football.
Yep, the latest World Cup in Australia & NZ had a pathetic total attendance of 1,978,274 which makes an average of 30,910 per game. The tournament generated a revenue of $570m. No-one cares about women’s football, am I right?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yep, the latest World Cup in Australia & NZ had a pathetic total attendance of 1,978,274 which makes an average of 30,910 per game. The tournament generated a revenue of $570m. No-one cares about women’s football, am I right?
He didn't say no one cares, he said more care about men's football, and when you compare those numbers to the billions made on the men's tournaments you see this is just true.

steve zizou

For a large number of countries the financial burden in the qualifying processes increases dramatically. This is especially difficult when you take into account there are mens and womens competitions for U17, U20, Olympic and senior competitions.
Its an awful idea for this alone. FIFA doesnt pay the travel costs and all the hidden costs in countries national training camps in the selection processes for their national sides, they dont pay for all the staff wages during qualifying competitions, they dont pay all thr travel and accomodation costs during qualifying competitions. These costs all cause a large number of countries financial pressures already. This just adds to the financial pressures and only a small number of countries get the financial benefit of having qualified.
To be fair to FIFA, they do take care of all travel, accommodation and logistics for teams who qualify for their tournaments. They also give all football associations enough money for football development in their countries. That's one of the things they are actually good at. As to what the individual associations use the money for that's a different question.

But I think if they're going for an annual tournament then i believe the financial support for it will also be there.

top1whoisman

Scout
He didn't say no one cares, he said more care about men's football, and when you compare those numbers to the billions made on the men's tournaments you see this is just true.
Well it’s obviously ”worth the organisational endeavour”.

EURO 2021 generated a total attendance of 574,875 and the average crowd of 18,544 per game as well as projecting global cumulative live viewership of 365 million across TV.

Based on that logic they shouldn’t rotate the hosts on smaller sports (meaning every single sport) either as they can’t compete with football’s numbers.

steve zizou

In fact I'd argue for the Women's world cup to be held biennially. It's clearly the biggest money maker in women's football. Women's football needs momentum more than the prestige that you get with the mens. I know practically this won't be possible due to continental cups but I'd rather those were held in 4 year cycles.

steve zizou

Well it’s obviously ”worth the organisational endeavour”.

EURO 2021 generated a total attendance of 574,875 and the average crowd of 18,544 per game as well as projecting global cumulative live viewership of 365 million across TV.

Based on that logic they shouldn’t rotate the hosts on smaller sports (meaning every single sport) either as they can’t compete with football’s numbers.
Refer to my previous post. I was speaking relatively and responding to a post about why don't we host the men's adult football annually. It's cost a lot more to host the senior men's tournaments than the women or juniors so financially and logistically impossible to host every year but the U-17 you could practically host in a single country for the rest of eternity. I too want more international women's football not less. The last WC was great and wish we wouldn't have to wait another 4 years. In fact i feel sad for people who don't enjoy international tournaments (men or women).

top1whoisman

Scout
Refer to my previous post. I was speaking relatively and responding to a post about why don't we host the men's adult football annually. It's cost a lot more to host the senior men's tournaments than the women or juniors so financially and logistically impossible to host every year but the U-17 you could practically host in a single country for the rest of eternity. I too want more international women's football not less. The last WC was great and wish we wouldn't have to wait another 4 years. In fact i feel sad for people who don't enjoy international tournaments (men or women).
Fair enough.

It’s a big decision when it comes to the cycle of one, two, three or four years. There’s so many things to take into consideration. With men it’s the crazy amount of games players have to play every season already as it is. In the women’s game that’s not an issue, at least yet.

steve zizou

Fair enough.

It’s a big decision when it comes to the cycle of one, two, three or four years. There’s so many things to take into consideration. With men it’s the crazy amount of games players have to play every season already as it is. In the women’s game that’s not an issue, at least yet.
The women already play a crazy amount of international games. The number of players with 100+ international caps is insane compared to the men. Clearly the appetite to play internationals is there as these women are pretty much playing glorified friendlies throughout their calendars. Can cut all those out and put it into a WC which people actually want to watch... Could go on but don't want to derail the thread.

So yeah Qatar + football = bad.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Every average player has a career long enough to participate in 3-4 World Cups, so that's fair to everyone. At youth level bigger intervals between tournaments result in it being more difficult for the younger eligible players to participate, so that's actually a sensible argument for them.
And those same players also have the opportunity to participate in the U20 world cup years later, and after that in the adult World Cup. So it isn't a big detriment to their careers.

The infrastructure is not really a point for me, tournaments should be held in countries that make good use of that anyway, but streamlining the process by giving the tournament for multiple years to the same country is also a smart solution to reduce the organisational load of more tournaments.
And on paper it's reasonable. Thing is, when you combine both arguments (tournaments only hosted by countries with strong sport infraestructure + several consecutive tournaments hosted by the same country) you're fabricating a significant entry barrier for countries to host tournaments: it's telling that the first two hosts will be the previous WC host and the future one. Increasing the participating teams to 48 go in the exact same direction of limiting possible hosts.

Adding that to the double downer that the tournament will be twice as frequent (5x in the case of the hosts) therefore about half as special and half as attractive to follow in a schedule absolutely packed with Men WC, Women WC, Olympics, Club World Cup, U20 World cup, Euro, Nations League, other continental cups plus club football and well, I think we know what's going to happen to this tournament.

Marcelinho87

Makes sense.

Kids under 17 get to play and then the next year it would be a whole host of new kids bar the odd exception.

Men’s and Women’s not so much because over 17 they are going to see 3/4 tourneys over their career so keep that at 4 years.

Don’t like it been in Qatar for 5 years straight though.

jadaba

Willing to bet that this will be used to snowball the idea of the same country hosting multiple successive Men's World Cup when FIFA revives its idea for a biennial tournament.

top1whoisman

Scout
The women already play a crazy amount of international games. The number of players with 100+ international caps is insane compared to the men. Clearly the appetite to play internationals is there as these women are pretty much playing glorified friendlies throughout their calendars. Can cut all those out and put it into a WC which people actually want to watch... Could go on but don't want to derail the thread.

So yeah Qatar + football = bad.
There’s the same amount of international breaks and the same amount of international tournaments as there are in the men’s game. The top leagues are much smaller so the female players play a lot less in a season.

The reason for the high cap numbers is that a lot of the most talented players make their senior debuts as young as 17/18, which doesn’t happen that much in the men’s side.

It’s also been possible for many players in the latter stages of their careers to play international football, not sure about the the reason behind that. Up to recently the competition and tempo probably hasn’t been as demanding.