U17 World Cup to now be held every year & next 5 to be held in Qatar

Boavista

So what happens to continental tournaments like Euro U17 ? And how does qualifying work?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There is already too much football on the calendar and some of you calling for more?they will suffer burnout and injuries which carry back to their club. Ben White had the right idea. Footballers are humans and need their downtime too

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
There is already too much football on the calendar and some of you calling for more?they will suffer burnout and injuries which carry back to their club. Ben White had the right idea. Footballers are humans and need their downtime too
Why would they? Currently some players fit the age to play a U17, some don't. This doesn't mean more matches at the peak for the players playing the most, it gives more players the opportunity to get these matches.

Herman Toothrot

Qatar grooming the next generation of the superstars. Nothing sinister about this whatsoever.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
To be fair to FIFA, they do take care of all travel, accommodation and logistics for teams who qualify for their tournaments. They also give all football associations enough money for football development in their countries. That's one of the things they are actually good at. As to what the individual associations use the money for that's a different question.

But I think if they're going for an annual tournament then i believe the financial support for it will also be there.
They give money for teams that qualify. They take care of travel, accomodation and logistics for teams that qualify. How many teams qualify compared to how many that dont qualify? Those that dont qualify will have an increased burden of expenses without their costs being covered.
The financial support will be there for the tournament and the teams that qualify. It will not be there for every countries costs during the qualifying process, it hasnt been there in the past. The cost of covering every countries costs during qualifying across U17, U20, Olympic and Senior WC over both sexes is staggeringly huge. This is why FIFA doesnt pay for all those costs. There are 211 countries in FIFA, they dont pay every countries costs during qualification.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
They give money for teams that qualify. They take care of travel, accomodation and logistics for teams that qualify. How many teams qualify compared to how many that dont qualify? Those that dont qualify will have an increased burden of expenses without their costs being covered.
The financial support will be there for the tournament and the teams that qualify. It will not be there for every countries costs during the qualifying process, it hasnt been there in the past. The cost of covering every countries costs during qualifying across U17, U20, Olympic and Senior WC over both sexes is staggeringly huge. This is why FIFA doesnt pay for all those costs. There are 211 countries in FIFA, they dont pay every countries costs during qualification.
True they do not pay every single country but Fifa gives all associations football development subsidies and I don't see how FIFA doesn't increase their budget to be in line with this annual tournament. Again it's up to each association how they distribute it. Fifa is a bit like Sport England in the sense they push more funds to associations that show value for money.

Also a lot of these qualifiers are largely regional with the few best teams playing in the final continental rounds. Countries are meant to be playing these regional tournaments annually at that age group anyway. For me, i think it's a good idea if the right financial backing follows of course.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
True they do not pay every single country but Fifa gives all associations football development subsidies and I don't see how FIFA doesn't increase their budget to be in line with this annual tournament. Again it's up to each association how they distribute it. Fifa is a bit like Sport England in the sense they push more funds to associations that show value for money.

Also a lot of these qualifiers are largely regional with the few best teams playing in the final continental rounds. Countries are meant to be playing these regional tournaments annually at that age group anyway. For me, i think it's a good idea if the right financial backing follows of course.
Im sorry and Im not trying to be a jerk but you have this horribly wrong.
FIFA gives the Confederations money for development and development money goes towards development related things. Things such as coach education, ref education. They provide training videos and other material related to coaching, warm ups refereeing, how to run grassroots clubs etc etc. They provide direction for countries coaching accreditation levels etc. That development money the Confederations hand out is set by FIFA for those things. It isnt set by FIFA for paying for countries coaching and peripheral staff during qualification, its not set for accomodation and travel costs during qualification, its not set for individual countries internal selection processes, training camps, national academies and all the staff required from coaching to logistical to medical to refereeing etc. FIFA does in developing countries provide some funding for balls and training equipment, ground development etc .

I know about this stuff because I have had an involvement at a regional, national and international level. I know how things are done in a number of countries.

So to give you an idea of the funding that FIFA does NOT provide for that will become an added expense to all countries trying to compete here is a short rundown.

Firstly there are regional rep selection processes that happen, after that 3 times a year most countries at U17 level have national academy trainings, usually for a week each time and 3 times a year typically. These happen every year and currently once every 4 years those training camps cull the players involved down to a number of roughly 40 who take part in a season long set of training camps that get culled to the final squad selection. Ive coached at regional rep level, at National academyu level and at final selection level. FIFA provides no funding for any of this. Nor are they expected to. The final selection clinics happen once every 4 years, the costs sit on top of the usual yearly coaching setups. This is not ever funded by FIFA and now under this new competition this will happen every year. Its an added expense to a countries processes.
Also remember within those costs come medical costs, accomodation costs, kit costs, ref costs, ground fees, coaching wages and peripheral staff costs such as video work and all the associated materials such as cones balls, bibs etc etc. It all adds up. These are costs that each country has to pay for and FIFA does not pay for any of this. We go from these additional costs happening once every 4 years to once every year for mens and womens U17 teams.

FIFA does not pay any of this.

I dont know why you have a view that FIFA is funding everything and there will be no added costs to countries associations finances. Countries only get money when they qualify. FIFA money to Confederations does not go to this. The confederations get money from FIFA when their teams qualify for a WC but all of that money goes towards grass roots development as I have mentioned, it does not go to each country to pay for internal selection systems or to countries for their costs during qualification such as travellling to another country to play. Air travel, busses, accommodation, food etc etc all paid for by the individual countries.

Its going to be an added financial strain.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Im sorry and Im not trying to be a jerk but you have this horribly wrong.
FIFA gives the Confederations money for development and development money goes towards development related things. Things such as coach education, ref education. They provide training videos and other material related to coaching, warm ups refereeing, how to run grassroots clubs etc etc. They provide direction for countries coaching accreditation levels etc. That development money the Confederations hand out is set by FIFA for those things. It isnt set by FIFA for paying for countries coaching and peripheral staff during qualification, its not set for accomodation and travel costs during qualification, its not set for individual countries internal selection processes, training camps, national academies and all the staff required from coaching to logistical to medical to refereeing etc. FIFA does in developing countries provide some funding for balls and training equipment, ground development etc .

I know about this stuff because I have had an involvement at a regional, national and international level. I know how things are done in a number of countries.

So to give you an idea of the funding that FIFA does NOT provide for that will become an added expense to all countries trying to compete here is a short rundown.

Firstly there are regional rep selection processes that happen, after that 3 times a year most countries at U17 level have national academy trainings, usually for a week each time and 3 times a year typically. These happen every year and currently once every 4 years those training camps cull the players involved down to a number of roughly 40 who take part in a season long set of training camps that get culled to the final squad selection. Ive coached at regional rep level, at National academyu level and at final selection level. FIFA provides no funding for any of this. Nor are they expected to. The final selection clinics happen once every 4 years, the costs sit on top of the usual yearly coaching setups. This is not ever funded by FIFA and now under this new competition this will happen every year. Its an added expense to a countries processes.
Also remember within those costs come medical costs, accomodation costs, kit costs, ref costs, ground fees, coaching wages and peripheral staff costs such as video work and all the associated materials such as cones balls, bibs etc etc. It all adds up. These are costs that each country has to pay for and FIFA does not pay for any of this. We go from these additional costs happening once every 4 years to once every year for mens and womens U17 teams.

FIFA does not pay any of this.

I dont know why you have a view that FIFA is funding everything and there will be no added costs to countries associations finances. Countries only get money when they qualify. FIFA money to Confederations does not go to this. The confederations get money from FIFA when their teams qualify for a WC but all of that money goes towards grass roots development as I have mentioned, it does not go to each country to pay for internal selection systems or to countries for their costs during qualification such as travellling to another country to play. Air travel, busses, accommodation, food etc etc all paid for by the individual countries.

Its going to be an added financial strain.

Far from it you being a jerk. I appreciate the insight. I'm merely speaking on the surface levels how these funding are distributed. I'm fully aware that FIFA doesn't fund everything but they do give some money out. Thos provided by governments.
All this to say I'm hoping FIFA will provide more assistance in line with this change.

stevoc

Well at least all those stadiums they built might get some use.

Wilt

Kids having to play in empty stadiums ….yeah great idea :rolleyes: