U18s - Derby vs Manchester United

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
First of all great to see many of new boys can now play :)....so only Emeran and Svidersky are still out.

But wow that was totally shambolic performance for 60-70 minutes.
Hopefully the coaches and the players are watching together the game a couple of days because there were so so so so many mistakes.

khoazany

I never understand why they can't just start Sotona. Shoretire and Hoogewerf are talented, and Wellens can chip in goals from times to times, but honestly we have not been looking dangerous with only those on the pitch as attacking options. We need Elanga or Sotona, or both - those direct attacking players. Without Stanley only make things worse.

Looks like another group that will suffer of lack of squad balance. Pretty sure we'll not see much of Mengi, Devine or even Fish due to the lack of defenders in the U23s (and most of those who are still at the club are injured). And I don't know what happened with Dodgson but looks like we'll have to play someone out of position when Devine's not there so we better play Hughes at RB to compensate for it. I really don't think Hoogewerf cut it as a number 9 but doesn't look like we have any other option, despite having like 7 players for left/right wing. Maybe playing Sotona up front?

Last edited:

khoazany

Hannibal looked talented - very hard to get the ball off him when he was on it - but he looked very lazy, strolling around. Pogba used to look lazy at times but not even near as much as this kid did today.
He's still extremely lack of match fitness having not played football in many months. Showed flashes of his talent.

Last edited:

mattunited1978

doommonger
Absolutely abysmal performance , we seem to take comical defending to new levels every season at this level.

Mickson

I never understand why they can't just start Sotona. Shoretire and Hoogewerf are talented, and Wellens can chip in goals from times to times, but honestly we have not been looking dangerous with only those on the pitch as attacking options. We need Elanga or Sotona, or both - those direct attacking players. Without Stanley only make things worse.

Looks like another group that will suffer of lack of squad balance. Pretty sure we'll not see much of Mengi, Devine or even Fish due to the lack of defenders in the U23s (and most of those who are still at the club are injured). And I don't know what happened with Dodgson but looks like we'll have to play someone out of position when Devine's not there so we better play Hughes at RB to compensate for it. I really don't think Hoogewerf cut it as a number 9 but doesn't look like we have any other option, despite having like 7 players for left/right wing. Maybe playing Sotona up front?
I'm already sick of seeing Bejger as RB. Thought he looked good as CB last season and I hoped he would kick on there.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's still extremely lack of match fitness having not played football in many months. Showed flashes of his talent.
It's quite incredible the number of posters who refuse to take things like this into account while choosing instead to rush to (negative) judgment. I swear they look for reasons to be pissed off.

Mark Pawelek

I'm already sick of seeing Bejger as RB. Thought he looked good as CB last season and I hoped he would kick on there.
Anyone know why we played 4 centre backs in defence yesterday, when more natural fullbacks are available? It's a very dramatic of trying to get arial domination, but obviously didn't work.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Derby team looked so much bigger than most of ours I think, that was the first thing I noticed. On the whole, it was a poor performance as said, they were disjointed and looked like strangers.

Mickson

Anyone know why we played 4 centre backs in defence yesterday, when more natural fullbacks are available? It's a very dramatic of trying to get arial domination, but obviously didn't work.
Probably because we didn't have anyone else at LB. Bejger has been playing RB the whole season. He probably doesn't rate Neville, which I understand, and he feels that Bejger deserves to play regardless of position.

Mark Pawelek

Probably because we didn't have anyone else at LB. Bejger has been playing RB the whole season. He probably doesn't rate Neville, which I understand, and he feels that Bejger deserves to play regardless of position.
What about these 3: Iestyn Hughes, Owen Joel Dodgson, Reece Devine. Aren't they all fullbacks and isn't Iestyn Hughes a right full-back, and the other 2 LBs?

I hope this was just an re-adjustment game.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
What about these 3: Iestyn Hughes, Owen Joel Dodgson, Reece Devine. Aren't they all fullbacks and isn't Iestyn Hughes a right full-back, and the other 2 LBs?

I hope this was just an re-adjustment game.
Devine was banned for the game against Derby.

Dodgson wasn't in any U18 squad this season so i don't know about this status.

Hughes is maybe not ready for start after his injury.
If he doesn't rate Neville then he should let him on the bench every game because so far he has come on four times as sub.

Mark Pawelek

Starting: 2.BEJGER 5.HOCKENHULL 4.HARDLEY 3.GALLAGHER-ALLISON

Hardley is a left-footer who's played left-back. Bejger is a centre-back. So why not?:
2.GALLAGHER-ALLISON 4.BEJGER 5.HOCKENHULL 3.HARDLEY