g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

U18s First Year Scholars Season 2017-2018

khoazany

With season 2016-2017 came to an end, I thought it would be a good idea to do a quick write-up before the players who will become new U18s scholars for the next season and what we can expect from them.

Obviously there will be a couple more signings for this age group over the course of summer so watch this space.

U18s First Years Scholars 2017-2018:
1. Ethan Laird - a quick and smooth full back who can also cover at centre back if required, Laird is a very offensive minded right-footed defender who can go past players with his skills and pace and also did score a bit more than your usual full back. Haven't seen him in the U18s in their last few games yet due to injury, hopefully he'll be a regular comes next season. His main competitor will be George Tanner who has done very well this season for the U18s but might play further forward next season, and his year mate Brandon Williams. Born in August same as Gomes and O'Connor so would not turn 17 until summer 2018.

2. Dylan Levitt - Wales U17s international. Levitt is a very good passer, capable of killer passes and is a calm presence on midfield. Could also play further forward if required. Will have to compete with a lot of names in midfield including the impressive Aidan Barlow, hopefully we'll see Dylan regularly.

3. James Garner - U16s captain who can play in both CM and CB position. From the little I've seen of him he looks good on the ball and in the air. A good option considering the older options in the defence aren't quite highly rated. Made 2 appearances from the bench for the U18s in their last 2 matches and slotted in comfortably.

4. Dion McGhee - a diminutive left-footed attacking midfielder who also play as left winger and left back - although from a bit I've seen of him he looks much better centrally. Looks like a clever pass-and-move player and has a good touch in the Lingard mould.

5. D'Mani Bughail-Mellor - a versatile player who can play in many positions including central midfield, AM, winger and full-back, D'Mani would be a very handy option to have around and he can chip in some goals as well.

6. Brandon Williams - a small and very quick fullback who also played centre back in his younger years. Williams has shown his pace in the last U18 game when he came on the bench. Used to be called up for England U15s training camp but his progress was hampered by injury after that, Williams will look to compete with the likes of Tanner, Laird at RB and Spratt at LB.

7. Ethan Galbraith - a signing from Northern Ireland last season and also their U17s international. Galbraith is a central midfielder with quick feet and good close control, capable to drive the midfield forward. Hopefully he'll have a better future at the club than some of our more recent youth signings from NI.

8. James Thompson - a reliable goalkeeper who's also a massive United supporter. He'll look to get game times when Alex Fojticek isn't available.

9. Jacob Carney - a tiny goalkeeper but rated highly for his technical abilities. Will likely to play down with the U16s next season.

10. Di'Shon Bernard - a defender who was released by Chelsea on January. He won Defender of a Tournament in a tournament few years ago so perhaps there're some talents in him that the club hope to polish more.

Likely signing
11. Aliou Traore - a France U16s international who left PSG last summer and now playing for his hometown club. A complete midfielder who can also play further forward or in defence, his style will surely be drawn some comparison with Paul Pogba. A strong option for midfield next season if signed.

U16s who might get some games: Mason Greenwood, Anthony Elanga, Teden Mengi.

Last edited:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Thankyou, that is a good read.
Any idea how chong is doing on his rehab? Also when will we finally see millen bars? Is he allowed to train or has he just not been playing football for a year?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jacob Carney is fairly highly rated, I think.

Good writeup though. Thanks a lot!

khoazany

Jacob Carney is fairly highly rated, I think.

Good writeup though. Thanks a lot!
He's an interesting one. His father is tall I believe so they hope he would grow like the likes of McTominay. Last time I've seen him he's so tiny that couldn't even held his own against players of his own age in a 5-a-side tourno.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thanks for the info OP. Enjoyed seeing Laird a couple of years ago in a youth tournament (maybe the Mercedes one?). Seem to remember it was him and Gomes that really stood out.

oskarutd

He's an interesting one. His father is tall I believe so they hope he would grow like the likes of McTominay. Last time I've seen him he's so tiny that couldn't even held his own against players of his own age in a 5-a-side tourno.
I thought they measured the bones now to know how big they´ll be.

Member 104911

I briefly saw part of this group at the Marveld Tournament last year and Garner probably impressed me the most, great on the ball, commanding, good vision and an allround good playmaker who is good defensively as well.

Hopefully we can sign Daishawn Redan as well, a killing striker would be a great addition to this team.

Another player we're looking to sign is Umaro Embalo, who we had a 6 million euro bid rejected for by Benfica, Embalo is probably one of the prospects in the entire world and if he doesn't leave Benfica now, he will in a few years but for a lot more money.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanClancy

Only watched a few minutes of the 2nd half in the u18 games against Blackburn but was impressed by the sub who came on at left back, was it Brandon Williams?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I briefly saw part of this group at the Marveld Tournament last year and Garner probably impressed me the most, great on the ball, commanding, good vision and an allround good playmaker who is good defensively as well.

Hopefully we can sign Daishawn Redan as well, a killing striker would be a great addition to this team.

Another player we're looking to sign is Umaro Embalo, who we had a 6 million euro bid rejected for by Benfica, Embalo is probably one of the prospects in the entire world and if he doesn't leave Benfica now, he will in a few years but for a lot more money.

Sportwitness have an article on it now.

After being linked to several first team players from Portuguese clubs this season, it’s time for Manchester United to go after the academy stars as well.

It’s the Lisbon newspaper Record who are making the latest claims, saying the Red Devils and Real Madrid are in a battle for 16-year-old winger Úmaro Embaló.

The outlet claims Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United have already shown they will pay €6m for the player, but that was before Real Madrid entered the race and offered €8m.

According to Record, Benfica’s president Luis Filipe Vieira has no intention of selling the youngster now. They think the player can still be useful for the club and will also make much more money if sold in the future.

Record say the interest is making it more difficult for the player to sign his first professional contract at Benfica, since his agent is now playing hard. Embaló, who has caps for Portugal’s U-16 and U-17s, takes the chase ‘with enthusiasm’.

Manchester United and Real Madrid may well be being used for window dressing on this one.
Dont know anything about him, maybe someone can add to it.

Trequartistry

Got a few questions: Do scholars get paid directly? Does each player get paid differently and what's a part time scholar and how does that work?

jb8521

Got a few questions: Do scholars get paid directly? Does each player get paid differently and what's a part time scholar and how does that work?
Yeah they get paid similar to people on an apprenticeship. The pay is generally the same but the higher players normally have an agreement to sign a professional contract at 17 while the others stay on a scholarship contract until 18. Part time scholars are lads who don't train full time, they only train part time and still attend school full time.

khoazany

With Arnau Puigmal reportedly signed it looks interesting in the midfield about how the U18s will line-up anyway. Potentially a 4-3-3 with the number midfielders we have

Chong - Burkart - Barlow
Puigmal - Levitt/Galbraith - Traore/Garner

or

Chong - Burkart - Baars
Barlow - Puigmal - Traore/Levitt

Nero

With Arnau Puigmal reportedly signed it looks interesting in the midfield about how the U18s will line-up anyway. Potentially a 4-3-3 with the number midfielders we have

Chong - Burkart - Barlow

or

Chong - Burkart - Baars
I'm still hoping Greenwood gets in.

Member 104911

Hopefully all the new lads come to the Otten Cup as most did last year. Would love to see how Traoré, Puigmal and maybe Redan as well all fit in!

Prodigal7

Chong - Burkart - Barlow

or

Chong - Burkart - Baars
I'd imagine Chong to be playing mostly with the U21s. Maybe Burkart too depending on his progress, which admittedly has been a little slower than expected this year.

khoazany

I'd imagine Chong to be playing mostly with the U21s. Maybe Burkart too depending on his progress, which admittedly has been a little slower than expected this year.
We'll have many attacking players at that level next season and I'd imagine we'll give Chong time to get back to speed since he's been out for so long.

With Burkart's progress he wouldn't be one of the candidates to be promoted early for me. Gomes, O'Connor, Chong, Barlow and Tanner all more deserving.

khoazany

With the imminent signing of Roberto Gonzalez, the U18s team next season is shaping up nicely...

Edit: forgot about Bernard at CB...

Last edited:

jb8521

With the imminent signing of Roberto Gonzalez, the U18s team next season is shaping up nicely...

From what I've heard 1 or 2 of next seasons 2nd year u18s have been told they can leave this summer if they can find a club

Wazza4Gaffa

Edit: forgot about Bernard at CB...
Who are the talents to watch in this team now that the likes of O'Connor, Gomes etc. are moving up?

khoazany

Who are the talents to watch in this team now that the likes of O'Connor, Gomes etc. are moving up?
Chong when he comes back from injuries, Barlow, some of the 1st year lads like Laird, Levitt, Garner and the new foreign recruits

barmyarmy

Is millen baar eligible to feature in youth team for next season? As i heard we completed his signing last December but yet to feature for our youth side.

jb8521

Is millen baar eligible to feature in youth team for next season? As i heard we completed his signing last December but yet to feature for our youth side.
Yeah he's eligible for the coming season. He's joined us but didn't get International clearance in time to play last season

khoazany

Galbraith on a 1 + 2 year pro deal so clearly rated. Traore close. Puigmal signed. How would McKenna fit them all in?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United's Under-18 ranks for the 2017/18 campaign will be swelled by the addition of 10 youngsters into the group.

With more additions still to be confirmed, the plans are taking shape ahead of the weekend flight to Austria for a pre-season training camp.

Defender Di'Shon Bernard was formerly with Chelsea, while midfielder Ethan Galbraith has arrived from Linfield in Northern Ireland.

Two Manchester-born prospects are on the list - D'Mani Bughail-Mellor and Brandon Williams - while fellow Englishmen James Garner, Ethan Laird, Dion McGhee and James Thompson also move up to Kieran McKenna's squad. Dylan Levitt is an Under-17 international for Wales.

Goalkeeper Jacob Carney has been taken on as an Academy student.

Confirmed Academy intake:

Di’Shon Bernard (Defender)
D’Mani Bughail-Mellor (Forward)
Jacob Carney (Goalkeeper)
Ethan Galbraith (Midfielder)
James Garner (Midfielder)
Ethan Laird (Defender)
Dylan Levitt (Midfielder)
Dion McGhee (Midfielder)
James Thompson (Goalkeeper)
Brandon Williams (Defender)

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...x?newsid=19089728-4E45-4D09-A63C-442973CE0FF3