U18s: United vs Man City | Premier League Cup Winners!

Gungerz

Missed this. Fantastic experience for him and nice for the club to have done, although maybe suggests other clubs are circling.

RedRocket08

Congrats to this young team! First time winners of the league as well (and by some margin), at a good moment when clubs do need to look at developing youth in order to meet PSR regulations. Hope this will go on with next year's batch, and that we'll see a few of these faces in our first team in 1-2 years time :)

saik

We haven’t won the Premier League Cup before, this was our first one. We’ve won the North section of the U18 Premier League once before since its birth in 2012/13.

We did that in 2017/18 with the likes of Matěj Kovář, Ethan Laird, Lee O’Connor, Brandon Williams, Di’shon Bernard, Teden Mengi, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Dylan Levitt, Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal, Mason Greenwood, Largie Ramazani, Tahith Chong, D’mani Mellor, Nishan Burkart, Aidan Barlow, Dion McGhee, Millen Baars, George Tanner etc. in the team…

When you look at the level about half of those players are currently playing at, wow…. We might have something similar with the current team but it’s very hard to follow that 17/18 group in terms of development.
Yup makes sense why they were highly rated. I recognize a lot of those names even if I wasn't watching the u-18s regularly back then. Makes me excited for this current group.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nice, watched only few mins and we played good football.

Nice to do a double, first time for us?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
An interesting reflection on last night's team when I looked again at the teamsheet. There was no selected goalkeeper which indicates (unless every keeper was injured), that Adam Lawrence was prepared to go for the win last night by having more options on the bench.

Good to see.

saik

An interesting reflection on last night's team when I looked again at the teamsheet. There was no selected goalkeeper which indicates (unless every keeper was injured), that Adam Lawrence was prepared to go for the win last night by having more options on the bench.

Good to see.
He was forced into making 3 subs at half time due to first team commitments though. I think that played a bigger part in him not selecting a GK on bench.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
For all the criticism he gets, often for a reason, I want to praise Nolan for yesterday’s performance.

Two brilliant assists, that’s a big contribution in a final. In the first one he patiently waited for the right run and angle to present themselves. For the second goal he showed good vision again. Without the deflection the ball would’ve found its way straight to Wheatley. After the deflection it was all about Wheatley’s quick reaction and composure for the finish.

Especially early on he had some struggles with defending City’s LW, but I think he improved throughout the game. City obviously targeted him and created quite a lot from their left hand side so I’m not saying he was great defensively, but two assists is still two assists.

And that’s kind of Nolan’s problem too. Versatility is a good trait, but he lacks some crucial skills in all the positions he plays. Positioning and marking as a FB, close control and composure as a midfielder.

Anyway, just wanted to praise him for his contribution yesterday.

Reactions: lysglimt

top1whoisman

Scout
Adam Lawrence:
"I am delighted for the boys.

”In terms of finals, in these types of games, they are decided by fine margins. In the second half, towards the end of the game, we really had to dig deep.

"If it's a team that isn't together and doesn't have that spirit, they don't get through that game and it goes to extra time or they lose it.

"In terms of that, and the togetherness of the group, I thought we were outstanding and that has helped us get over the line."

"In terms of where the boys are at, and the other things we have got going on between the first team, Under-21s and the programme, certain individuals had to be managed today.

"In any game when you are taking three important players for the team off at halt-time, that can have a big effect on the team and on the group as well.

"But all of the players are good players, and the players that came on dealt with that. Sometimes it is about doing what is needed for the team.

"Overall, Manchester City are a good side and they posed us a lot of problems and towards the end they caused us a problem.

"It was nice to get over the line and for us to have that moment."

top1whoisman

Scout
Elyh Harrison:

"The emotions were really high in the game and also in the changing room just then.

"Everyone was celebrating so much in there and I couldn't even get my suit on as it was soaking wet! Everyone was enjoying themselves and I am glad we won.

"It was just what I had to do and it was a great feeling to have some big saves in the game to keep us in it. I am happy with myself."

Louis Jackson:
"I think that is the big thing with the Under-18s group, it has not been a consistent eleven every week and we have done really well given we chopped and changed the team.

"Whenever the [players] are called upon they do the job."

James Scanlon:
"The lads are buzzing and obviously coming off winning the Premier League North it is great. It's brilliant to get some silverware.

"Obviously going into the game you know it is your rivals so it does put a bit extra on it. To come out victorious is just unbelievable."

Ethan Williams:
"We have been a great team and we have all stick together in tough moments, this final is just another example of it.

"We have great squad depth and to win the Premier League North and then the Premier League Cup, it's just a great feeling honestly."

Finley McAllister:
"I am absolutely buzzing and I am proud of all of the lads, even the lads that haven't participated tonight.

"We have done this over the course of the season, together. Some people have played more minutes than others but ever since that first game against Reading we have all put in a shift.

"We have been the better team each time and when we have suffered, we have suffered together. We deserve this more than any other team in the country."

Jack Kingdon:
"In a cup final, the spirits are really high, especially against our main rivals.

"The boys really dug in and everyone was in the right place at the right time, we did well to get the victory.

"From the very start of the season, everyone was together. In every game the boys got stuck in.

"We had a goal and we hit that, winning the league and winning the Premier League Cup. I am really proud of everyone."

Borninthe80ts

For all the criticism he gets, often for a reason, I want to praise Nolan for yesterday’s performance.

Two brilliant assists, that’s a big contribution in a final. In the first one he patiently waited for the right run and angle to present themselves. For the second goal he showed good vision again. Without the deflection the ball would’ve found its way straight to Wheatley. After the deflection it was all about Wheatley’s quick reaction and composure for the finish.

Especially early on he had some struggles with defending City’s LW, but I think he improved throughout the game. City obviously targeted him and created quite a lot from their left hand side so I’m not saying he was great defensively, but two assists is still two assists.

And that’s kind of Nolan’s problem too. Versatility is a good trait, but he lacks some crucial skills in all the positions he plays. Positioning and marking as a FB, close control and composure as a midfielder.

Anyway, just wanted to praise him for his contribution yesterday.
I’d have to concur with this assessment. He has come in for some undue criticism I think as a lot of the squad has played well thus people need someone to critique.

The multiple positions he plays shows he has a good base level and is a team player. At this age where players start to build their base traits he has been very flexible which could help him in a squad player role which all teams need. Reminds me of P Neville a bit.

The pass for the second goal especially was very creative and if it had come off would have been special.

Pericles

Scanlon headed it to Nolan who assisted Wheatley.
Yes you are right. Just checked it again after my original post,

Yeah, Nolan is the weak link in the group for me still. Not solid enough to be a full back and no skilled enough to be a midfielder.