Music U2

Rooney24

When is this new album out?

Bono stop trying to save the fecking world and just do what you are paid for!

Brophs

The One and Only
I've never, ever rated them. I can't think of one of their songs I wouldn't click off if it came on the radio. I can't be the only one, surely?

Name Changed

weso26
I think U2 are fantastic. I listen to their stuff more than any other band. Easily my favourite band.

pillory

I've never, ever rated them. I can't think of one of their songs I wouldn't click off if it came on the radio. I can't be the only one, surely?
Probably not, but even I, who hate the bastards with a passion, like some of the stuff on Achtung Baby.

Alex

They are extremely good live, but to call them the best by some distance is a bit much. Not saying they arent the best, but to say that essentially ever other band is shit compared to them is a bit over the top

Johnno

U2 are obviously a very good band but I reckon they're quite over-rated, particularly by the Pads who regard them as a national treasure.
I've heard the concerts are mind-boggling and very entertaining though.
With or Without You, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, One, Stuck in a Moment etc are all excellent songs.....

kps88

Its out Jan 09.

They delayed it because they hit a good song writing groove.

From what I've read Bono said its going to be a departure from the style of the last 2 albums.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
U2's material from Boy to Joshua Tree was impeccable (bar October)

My fave album is definitely Unforgettable Fire.

Achtung Baby had it's moments, and Stay was a great track from later.

But basically
1980's U2 > Most Bands Ever
Most Bands ever > 1990-Present U2

Still Have seen them live twice, and they were pretty amazing, I still think they could have been immortalised if Bono hadn't gone on his save the world ego trip.

Don16

Annoying cnut
I can't stand U2 but there's been alot of their stuff from the 80's was excellent, but the rest of their stuff is pure shite. And Bono is just a complete and utter fecking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime of a man.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bump.

New album Songs of Innocence was released for free on Itunes at the Apple thingy earlier for anyone interested.

New single:

kps88

I'm enjoying it so far. It's as good as can be expected for a band in their 50s striving to stay relevant in today's pop scene.

Zen

They live to tour really, their albums have been mostly irrelevant for 20 odd years now with the odd decent song around them. But yeah, the Rolling Stones blueprint innit, milk the tours, and give the die hards a throwaway album for even easier money.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's actually a brilliant bit of marketing. Ends up in your iTunes whether you want it or not. Which means it will get much greater exposure than it would have if it was a conventional release. I had a listen this morning (found it a lot less shite than I thought it would be) and would almost certainly not have listened to it otherwise. Bound to be millions of people in the same boat.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
They live to tour really, their albums have been mostly irrelevant for 20 odd years now with the odd decent song around them. But yeah, the Rolling Stones blueprint innit, milk the tours, and give the die hards a throwaway album for even easier money.
Not really....

They were very much "relevant" until 2004/2005.....

You say the Stones but, the Stones haven't produced a decent album since the 70's. My favourite band, Status Quo, are releasing a double album of their songs, done acoustically. That's "irrelevance" my friend.

Where as U2, have constantly tried to write something out of their comfort zone and tried to move with the times, while retaining their sound

Either way, the term relevant should have no business in music. You either like it or you don't

Zen

That's exactly why I used the Stones.....when U2 are in their 70's, they also wouldn't have produced an album of note for 40 years too. Ditto Bon Jovi, ACDC, any box office rock band.....why bother when your tours rake in the money without needing to back it up with a good album? You might get the odd bits of good stuff in there, but it's mostly for the die hard fans. Not much post-Zooropa I can say I think of as great really.....loved the video for Windows in the Skies mind.

kps88

That's exactly why I used the Stones.....when U2 are in their 70's, they also wouldn't have produced an album of note for 40 years too. Ditto Bon Jovi, ACDC, any box office rock band.....why bother when your tours rake in the money without needing to back it up with a good album? You might get the odd bits of good stuff in there, but it's mostly for the die hard fans. Not much post-Zooropa I can say I think of as great really.....loved the video for Windows in the Skies mind.
I agree with most of that except that U2 really do care and really do want to release a mega hit album that would destroy the charts. They crave that relevancy and commercial appeal and haven't been shy to admit that publicly. I'd rather they had other priorities that let them try more interesting things, but it's not complacency or laziness. They didn't have to spend five and a half years with multiple producers trying to bash out a new album if all they cared about was the tour money. They live to tour, but only if there is new material to tour with. They could easily tour without a new album and make loads of money.

kps88

Either way, the term relevant should have no business in music. You either like it or you don't
It's actually Bono that used it; stating the band was "on the verge of irrelevance". I wish they didn't care so much and did whatever they felt like.

.Rossi

Not having that....

Achtung baby and Zooropa were class.
Pop is great and is getting the recognition it deserves now
All that you can't leave behind has some great stuff
Same with Atomic bomb
No line on the horizon has some good moments.

Basically, U2 have been far more creative and have had a better output then AC/DC or the Stones.

I am a massive AC/DC fan but, I'll even admit, they have produced nothing but shit since Flick of the switch. And that was in 1983

Zen

Not having that....

Achtung baby and Zooropa were class.
Pop is great and is getting the recognition it deserves now
All that you can't leave behind has some great stuff
Same with Atomic bomb
No line on the horizon has some good moments.

Basically, U2 have been far more creative and have had a better output then AC/DC or the Stones.

I am a massive AC/DC fan but, I'll even admit, they have produced nothing but shit since Flick of the switch. And that was in 1983
Achtung is a fantastic album, I don't even know why you threw that and Zooropa in tbf. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me is the best thing they've done post-Zooropa though, says it all. I like some of the safe stuff, but I also like some of the safe stuff the Stones put out post 1975, and Bon Jovi post 1995, still all safe and easy though regardless of what the artists say to try and hype this stuff up by being a comeback to greatness album or whatever. The best thing about Pop was the tour, GOAT tour.

I don't like peak ACDC, I just threw them in there because I didn't even know they were still making albums, just touring, until the Iron Man album -_-

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree with kps88. You can accuse U2 of a lot of things but making throwaway albums definitely isn't one of them. They're very determined to remain the biggest band in the world in terms of albums and aren't just content to milk money off tours. I'm sure they see themselves as being in competition with the young pretenders to the throne rather than the likes of the Stones.

In fact if anything I'd say they're far too focused on remaining dominant. They might be better off giving up on trying to be the biggest band in the world and trying something a bit weirder and more uncommercial.

Still, you can't fault their ambition. They've actually found a way to essentially force people to acquire their stuff. Pretty nifty.

Member 39557

Achtung Baby was a great album. Can't say I've enjoyed anything past the odd song or two since.

.Rossi

Achtung is a fantastic album, I don't even know why you threw that and Zooropa in tbf. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me is the best thing they've done post-Zooropa though, says it all. I like some of the safe stuff, but I also like some of the safe stuff the Stones put out post 1975, and Bon Jovi post 1995, still all safe and easy though regardless of what the artists say to try and hype this stuff up by being a comeback to greatness album or whatever. The best thing about Pop was the tour, GOAT tour.

I don't like peak ACDC, I just threw them in there because I didn't even know they were still making albums, just touring, until the Iron Man album -_-
Have a listen to the latest album. It's quite different and certainly a departure from the typical U2 sound.
Best thing about it is, there's not one obvious single on it.

John_Jensen

Can't turn on the radio or the TV without hearing about these wankers.

They're never going to feck off are they?? :(

.Rossi

Can't turn on the radio or the TV without hearing about these wankers.

They're never going to feck off are they?? :(
Biggest band in the world...One of the most innovative bands to ever exist....

Yeah, sorry but, pretty sure they will live forever in some capacity

EDIT: I never quite got the hate there is for U2...Fair enough if you don't like their music but, people seem to have a vicious hate for them....They're like the Manchester United of music it seems.

Peculiar

John_Jensen

Biggest band in the world...One of the most innovative bands to ever exist....

Yeah, sorry but, pretty sure they will live forever in some capacity

EDIT: I never quite got the hate there is for U2...Fair enough if you don't like their music but, people seem to have a vicious hate for them....They're like the Manchester United of music it seems.

Peculiar
Biggest Band in the World = The McDonalds of the music business. A talent for self promotion and selling shit to masses.

Most innovative bands to ever exist? Jesus fecking wept....

The only people who seem to have been influenced by U2 are Chris Martin and that dickhead from Muse

.Rossi

Biggest Band in the World = The McDonalds of the music business. A talent for self promotion and selling shit to masses.

Most innovative bands to ever exist? Jesus fecking wept....

The only people who seem to have been influenced by U2 are Chris Martin and that dickhead from Muse
:lol:

Coldplay
Creed
The Killers
Travis
Starsailor
Elbow
The Thrills
Oasis
Radiohead
Members of Blur
No Doubt
Keane
The Script
Smashing Pumpkins
Ryan Adams
Muse ( also influenced by my band, Quo :D )

And thats only the tip of the iceberg.

McDonalds music?!?! Good Jesus....
So, the melody and instrumentation means nowt then?! It's whether or not it's cool or not?! This isn't the 1960's anymore and we're not sitting in a field, platting each others hair! The music business is all about marketing these days, sadly.

Every single band has a marketing strategy to sell their music now! No one is the exception to the rule. No one!

If you're calling U2 out on that, you best call out every other single band right now in the mainstream.

Gone are the days of The Roses or Oasis breaking into the mainstream on the back of word of mouth.

Case in point, there's been a huge deal made of The Courteeners getting into the charts without much publicity, a few weeks back....Yet, they made fairly sure they milked that association with United for as long as they could. Marketing!!

Last edited: