U21 Final: United vs. Spurs

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
VS

Barclays Under 21 Premier League Final
Kick off: Monday, 20 May, 7:00 PM BST
Location: Old Trafford Stadium, Trafford, Greater Manchester (75,765)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Having had the pleasure of being in Tottenham's group for both phases of the U21 Premier League, our U21 team will be very familiar with them.

Results vs. Spurs so far this season: 2W, 0D, 2L

| 29-08, 19.00 | Tottenham U21s | H | U21 Premier League 2 | 2:1 |
| 27-10, 11.00 | Tottenham U21s | A | U21 Premier League 8 | 2:4 |
| 15-02, 12:00 | Tottenham U21s | A | U21 Elite Group 6 | 1:3 |

| 15-04, 19:00 | Tottenham U21s | H | U21 Elite Group 13 | 1:0 |

United U21 2 Spurs U21 1: Macheda 2' (Tunnicliffe), Macheda 50' pen (Powell)

Lindegaard; Wootton, Evans, M. Keane, Buttner; Fletcher, Tunnicliffe, Powell, Brady (Lingard 60) King (Thorpe 85); Macheda (Cole 65). Subs not used: Sutherland, Veseli.
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...er-united-u21-tottenham-u21-match-report.aspx

U21s: Spurs 4-2 United: Lingard 14' (King), Lawrence 86' (Blackett)

Johnstone; Veseli, M. Keane, Fornasier, McGinty; Thorpe (Blackett 82), Tunnicliffe; Lingard, Brady, Cole; King (Lawrence 46). Subs not used: Ekangemane, Sutherland, James.
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...-manchester-united-under-21-match-report.aspx

U21s: Spurs 3 United 1, Thorpe 48' (Januzaj)

Johnstone; Vermijl, Brown, Fornasier, McGinty; Cole (Blackett 79), Thorpe, Tunnicliffe, Lingard (Ekangamene 85); Januzaj (Lawrence 68); Powell. Subs not used: Sutherland, van Velzen.
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...-manchester-united-under-21-match-report.aspx

U21: United 1-0 Spurs, Tunnicliffe 56' (Lingard)

Amos; Veseli (Blackett 10, Lawrence 84), Thorpe, Fornasier, Vermijl; Lingard, Ekangamene, Cole, James; Tunnicliffe; Januzaj. Subs not used: Sutherland, Hendrie, van Velzen.
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...united-v-tottenham-under-21-match-report.aspx

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hopefully we play the same team that beat Liverpool 3-0 in the semi-final, we're a much better team with a striker up front.

Amos
Vermijl Thorpe M.Keane James
Ekangamene Tunnicliffe
Cole Januzaj Lingard
Lawrence​

Brightonian

Dangermen for them? Obika obviously, he's absolutely on fire and has shown that he can cause us problems. I remember one attacking midfielder giving us lots of problems but can't remember which it was... Kane maybe, or Pritchard?

mo0

the Spurs XI will be different...Obika, Pritchard, Carroll will all drop down, as they did for Everton.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Is this a double header? If not, was the venue drawn or did we somehow earn home advantage?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Why? Pearson has played a handful of minutes for the reserves...Ekangamane is much more assured at this level and very tidy.

Pearson should be on the bench.
Ekangamane will be playing for Barnet in 5 years time. Ben Pearson will be playing for United. No time for sentimentality. Give the lad some game time.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
:lol: what utter shite. You've absolutely no idea about the career paths of head two. Ben Pearson is very talented and very promising...but I've seen better players from youth level not make it. He very well could make it here, by Charni is a much better player than you are giving him credit for. I'm a big fan of Pearson...but Ekangamane is the better option for spurs game. Ben will get plenty of reserve footba next season.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

:lol: what utter shite. You've absolutely no idea about the career paths of head two. Ben Pearson is very talented and very promising...but I've seen better players from youth level not make it. He very well could make it here, by Charni is a much better player than you are giving him credit for. I'm a big fan of Pearson...but Ekangamane is the better option for spurs game. Ben will get plenty of reserve footba next season.
:lol:

I was just winding you up a little. Which youth players better than Pearson have failed to make the grade? I think that Pearson has looked very assured in his substitute appearances for the reserves. I am impatient!

londonredmaniac

I understand the impatience mate...I'm desperate to see our youth system produce the likes of the 90's again. Pearson is one of them that just fills me with hope. As does Januzaj, as does Barmby at times. The same with Mats and Wilson.

I too have been quite impressed with how Pearson has come on and played at ressie level...by they've not been games anywhere near as big, and as tough as spurs in final.

I've ended up giddy about Fabien Brandy, Darron Gibson, David Jones, Chris Eagles, Nick Ajose, Ebanks Blake, Magnus Eikrem, Michael Barnes, Danny Drinkwater, Matty James, Ollie Norwood, Rossi (okay not academy), Macheda, Ravel Morrison, Robbie Brady, josh King. Markus Neumayr are all players I have been very excited by in the past. Just so much can happen between 16 and 19 odd. I share your enthusiasm mind :)

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I've ended up giddy about Fabien Brandy, Darron Gibson, David Jones, Chris Eagles, Nick Ajose, Ebanks Blake, Magnus Eikrem, Michael Barnes, Danny Drinkwater, Matty James, Ollie Norwood, Rossi (okay not academy), Macheda, Ravel Morrison, Robbie Brady, josh King. Markus Neumayr are all players I have been very excited by in the past. Just so much can happen between 16 and 19 odd. I share your enthusiasm mind :)
I have only been as giddy about Morrison and Rossi. Macheda yes but that was based on what he did in his early senior career. In the academy I always thought that Petrucci was the superior of the two. I did think that Petrucci would hit the big time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ekangamane will be playing for Barnet in 5 years time. Ben Pearson will be playing for United. No time for sentimentality. Give the lad some game time.
Ekangamene is very talented and has a fair chance of making it I reckon.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Ekangamene is very talented and has a fair chance of making it I reckon.
Not here I don't think. You have to remember that hardly any youth team players make the grade at United. I would pick Pereira, Pearson and Januzaj as the three I can see in the U18's & U21's that I think really think have what it take. I confess that I am not a great watcher of defenders and goalkeepers so I would exclude those positions from my assessment.

jb8521

Ekangamenes development over the past few months has been fantastic and if he can continue to develop at this rate he will have a chance, he does a very thankless job of shielding the defence and breaking up play but he does it very well. I think him being put in this role along with Thorpe moving into defence is the main reason the under 21s defence has been so much better recently

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wonderful that 2 proper football clubs with illustrious records in young player development and stylish football have made the final.

In many ways, it's apt and symmetrically appropriate that this will be SAFs final ever game in charge of the club. Win or lose, he not only leaves behind a very young and vibrant 1st team squad but also a crop of youngsters about to hit the big time as good as any other club in the land.

I would think victory in this tournament would give him as much pleasure as his 13tu and final PL win. I don't usually watch out youth teams but will be looking for a stream on Monday night to see how these boys get on.

One last trophy for the SAF dynasty please!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ekangamenes development over the past few months has been fantastic and if he can continue to develop at this rate he will have a chance, he does a very thankless job of shielding the defence and breaking up play but he does it very well. I think him being put in this role along with Thorpe moving into defence is the main reason the under 21s defence has been so much better recently
He really has come on leaps and bounds. Looks like he understands that midfield role more and how to be effective there, which is often not the case for younger players. Be interesting to see how he gets on, he's definitely a bigger prospect than the likes of Tunnicliffe for me.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not here I don't think. You have to remember that hardly any youth team players make the grade at United. I would pick Pereira, Pearson and Januzaj as the three I can see in the U18's & U21's that I think really think have what it take. I confess that I am not a great watcher of defenders and goalkeepers so I would exclude those positions from my assessment.
Pearson and Januzaj are the two I picked as the 'most likely' from that group too. Still not sure about Pereira though, was really excited about him based on those highlights that we had from his Belgium games, but I've not seen him hit those heights yet. Possibly doesn't help that he plays higher up the pitch, whereas for Belgium he seemed to start from deeper and dictate play.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Anyone know how many youth and reserve team trophies we won during the SAF era?

londonredmaniac

Impressed with Gollini and Sutherland.

Thorpe and Keane impressed me greatly this season.

Lingard has an outside shot for me and if Llarnel Cole can rediscover his form I think he has an outside chance.

I'm also a fan of Vermijl.

Wilson, Barmby and Pereira will have an interesting season next year...as will Byrne and Daelhi. Be very interesting to see how they adapt to reserve team football. Pearson is a gem and if Rothwell stays fit I'm sure we will see plenty of him.

Blackett looks very useful to me at times and will we be likely to see a little more of Tom Lawrence next year?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Where is Glaston and his talk about Fryers being more happy about playing for the bestest youth team in the country rather then play for the champions?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Where is Glaston and his talk about Fryers being more happy about playing for the bestest youth team in the country rather then play for the champions?
Actually, if we beat Spurs on Monday, we are the U21 champions too :drool: