U21s: United vs. Aston Villa

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't think you can judge that much from a one off game. There were a lot of changes and our team was patched up. I think Villa pressed well and it was a close game. Lawrence had our best chance, nice deft touch to take it past the defender good save. I think we set the tone by playing one man up top at home. Henrequez had no chance and by the time we pushed up in the second half, he was knackered.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Disappointing. The midfield disease is spreading through the club - the reserves haven't been the same since Petrucci got injured.
The midfielders who have performed at u21 level this season are with the first team or on loan. Not sure how that equates to a midfield disease spreading through the club. Rather the opposite, I would've thought.

Brightonian

We didn't score in the first half but we were the better team, and playing some nice football. The move that Lawrence didn't quite manage to finish off was lovely. Honestly what that first-half line-up was really missing was one more technical attacking player to click with the nice partnership between Lawrence and Januzaj and tip the balance: either Barmby or Daehli.

Unfortunately Joyce brough Daehli on for Lawrence, and for me that, more than the goal, was what tipped the balance in Villa's favour. We looked a little rudderless without Tom in the middle. Then near the end Joyce seemed to seal our fate by replacing Ekangamene - a pretty adventurous, capable DM - with Grimshaw, a defender. You can't do that and then expect that bringing on Barmby will balance it out. We ended up with a load of forwards trying to fill the gaping hole in midfield.

Overall, however, I thought the lads did ok. It's a very strong Villa team, who also played a good match by their own standards, against a young, inexperienced United team who hadn't really played together. With a better final product, and a bit less Bebe, we could have won it despite all this.

Januzaj was the highlight for me. Showed signs of real brilliance, and resisted the chance, as Villa took control, to slip out of the game. His first touch reeks of class.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've said it before and I'm saying it again, Januzaj is the gem of this group. He was head and shoulders above the rest, his only problem was that they didn't give him the ball enough. Had they done so, I think we would have scored at least one.

Henriquez was shocking tonight. He had a thankless job on his own, but his first touch was piss poor at times.

Drainy

Henriquez was shocking tonight. He had a thankless job on his own, but his first touch was piss poor at times.
and at times it was great, no more inconsistent than any of our other strikers at that age- including Rooney.. like you said it was a thankless job, extremely difficult with no support and no service. Saying he was 'shocking' is too harsh, and makes you look petty, to be honest.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
and at times it was great, no more inconsistent than any of our other strikers at that age- including Rooney.. like you said it was a thankless job, extremely difficult with no support and no service. Saying he was 'shocking' is too harsh, and makes you look petty, to be honest.
I don't remember any being great. He pissed me off with his performance, if he ever did manage to get the ball down he'd start running at defenders. At times it was crying out for him to hold up the ball and wait for his team mates to catch up, because there was a huge gap at times.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Twas a joke. :(
My bad, mate.

We didn't score in the first half but we were the better team, and playing some nice football. The move that Lawrence didn't quite manage to finish off was lovely. Honestly what that first-half line-up was really missing was one more technical attacking player to click with the nice partnership between Lawrence and Januzaj and tip the balance: either Barmby or Daehli.

Unfortunately Joyce brough Daehli on for Lawrence, and for me that, more than the goal, was what tipped the balance in Villa's favour. We looked a little rudderless without Tom in the middle. Then near the end Joyce seemed to seal our fate by replacing Ekangamene - a pretty adventurous, capable DM - with Grimshaw, a defender. You can't do that and then expect that bringing on Barmby will balance it out. We ended up with a load of forwards trying to fill the gaping hole in midfield.

Overall, however, I thought the lads did ok. It's a very strong Villa team, who also played a good match by their own standards, against a young, inexperienced United team who hadn't really played together. With a better final product, and a bit less Bebe, we could have won it despite all this.

Januzaj was the highlight for me. Showed signs of real brilliance, and resisted the chance, as Villa took control, to slip out of the game. His first touch reeks of class.
Lawrence was never going to last the full 90, Charni was fouling people right, left and center and came off as soon as he got his long overdue booking.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, Januzaj is the gem of this group. He was head and shoulders above the rest, his only problem was that they didn't give him the ball enough. Had they done so, I think we would have scored at least one.

Did he receive a decent pass all night? He controlled a few difficult ones though, his touch seems fine to me.