U21s: United vs. Stoke

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Powell is simply too good for this level. He needs to go out on loan or get some minutes for the first team.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Also, surely the firecrackers are distracting to the players? Would make me keep jumping!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He absolutely has zero of the required attributes to be a success at fullback, it's like they've just stuck him out there cause he has a left foot and I would have hoped our coaches would know better than to follow that philosophy. Would be interested to see if he can hack it as a centre half, cause we certainly aren't learning anything watching him blunder around at left back..
It'll do his game a world of good though, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.

jb8521

Lovely little feint and turn by Januzaj to beat two players and make a yard of space in the midfield, he has a fantastic first touch

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Is Paddy saying that Powell's goal was similar to the one Suarez scored yesterday? :lol:

Will Absolute

Even before the goal, that's by far the best I've seen Powell play. He's finding his feet for us. Maybe Fergie can spot a good player after all.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Powell has been good, brilliant goal, Januzaj has also shown great ability at times.

Cole has been good in moments but is so physically inferior to the experienced Shotton he is up against its been hard for him and this is further evidence of why he isn't ready for a loan yet. Shotton is literally twice the size of him.

As usual the back five's distribution into midfield has been poor.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Powell has got to be the oldest looking 18 year old I've ever seen

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
When the loanees were mentioned, I was surprised Macheda wasn't included. Surely he's not going to spend the year in the reserves?
I'm hoping there'll be another round of loanees. Lots of these players need some real match time - Wootton and Petrucci come to mind.

Would be nice to send Petrucci and Macheda somewhere. In my head, they get on well ;)

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Anyone else think that Powell is good enough to get more involved with the first team already?

Cold_Boy

Anyone else think that Powell is good enough to get more involved with the first team already?
Don't think we can take that risk.

Plus first team level is a lot lot harder.

Cameos and sub appearances is what he should and willl get imo.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Only as a sub into easy games. Still very inconsistent, drifts in and out of games and doesn't track back or follow runners enough to be fully trusted yet, I think.

EDIT: Actually, on reflection he could be an interesting option if we are chasing a game, very clever attacking wise and the long shot is something a little different to what most of our other players offer.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
It'll be interesting to see what happens when both Smalling and Jones return to fitness.
Assuming that our first XI is: De Gea, Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Valencia, RVP, Rooney, our bench will consist of:
Lindegaard, Smalling, Jones, Hernandez, Nani, Anderson, Kagawa, Welbeck, Buttner, Scholes and Giggs. There's hardly any room for any youngsters to have cameos :(

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Academy kicking off at the same time as Leicester on Saturday. Dilemma.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It'll be interesting to see what happens when both Smalling and Jones return to fitness.
Assuming that our first XI is: De Gea, Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Valencia, RVP, Rooney, our bench will consist of:
Lindegaard, Smalling, Jones, Hernandez, Nani, Anderson, Kagawa, Welbeck, Buttner, Scholes and Giggs. There's hardly any room for any youngsters to have cameos :(
Absolutely, with the depth of our squad these days the idea of several reserve players stepping up to the first team seems almost impossible.

Welbeck and Cleverley have shown the way with their multiple loans, and all parties involved found the right teams and circumstances, unlike with Macheda.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Great pass by Thorpe. I wonder if he's in that midfield for developmental reasons or if that's where we see his future.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
With 3 in midfield or how he's been deployed today going out to the left a lot (not exactly like today, but more of a wing role perhaps), don't see why not. He's a lot more comfortable in possession and has more to his game than Gibson ever did.

Think it would be a bit of a disaster against anyone half decent in a midfield 2, though.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

With 3 in midfield or how he's been deployed today going out to the left a lot (not exactly like today, but more of a wing role perhaps), don't see why not. He's a lot more comfortable in possession and has more to his game than Gibson ever did.

Think it would be a bit of a disaster against anyone half decent in a midfield 2, though.
I am just talking about a start against a lesser team in the league, or in the CL, next home game, should we win tomorrow.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Been impressed with Tunnicliffe and Powell tonight, with a decent showing from Januzaj and Cole. Macheda's been dire though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Considering Stoke have 3 points from 8 games in the U21 PL, this is heading for a pretty disappointing result. Stoke have scored 7 and conceded 25 in those 8 games, they'll be quite happy with a draw.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Been impressed with Tunnicliffe and Powell tonight, with a decent showing from Januzaj and Cole. Macheda's been dire though.
Powell looks gifted but Tunners has been my MOM. Aye, Powell and Macheda have looked like they have anti rapport tonight. We have been dire at playing the ball out of defence too.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I am just talking about a start against a lesser team in the league, or in the CL, next home game, should we win tomorrow.
Difficult to say given how vast the step up between this level and the next actually is. Like I say though, it depends on where you play him. If the Chelsea game is anything to go by, I'd say it'd be a big risk playing him in midfield the way we play in the league. Shows quality when he gets the ball, but positioning not good enough yet for a start alongside only Carrick, say. Even against weaker teams we could struggle in midfield lining up like that.

Cold_Boy

Tunnicliffe has shown a lot more than just tacking today.

2-3 very good defense splitting passes.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Difficult to say given how vast the step up between this level and the next actually is. Like I say though, it depends on where you play him. If the Chelsea game is anything to go by, I'd say it'd be a big risk playing him in midfield the way we play in the league. Shows quality when he gets the ball, but positioning not good enough yet for a start alongside only Carrick, say. Even against weaker teams we could struggle in midfield lining up like that.
Sometimes you have to roll the dice. Juventus have done with Pogba, we should at least give him a shot, in one game, IMO.

I agree about his positioning though. I actually think that there is a Berbatov-esque arrogance about him, kind of like he thinks that he is good enough for the game to come to him, he needs to get a bit more intensity in his play.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No because we're in a situation where even Anderson is struggling to get a game. It's good for him to be out of the spot light and to build on his performances

Great goal though.

The Neviller

He absolutely has zero of the required attributes to be a success at fullback, it's like they've just stuck him out there cause he has a left foot and I would have hoped our coaches would know better than to follow that philosophy. Would be interested to see if he can hack it as a centre half, cause we certainly aren't learning anything watching him blunder around at left back..
I remember reading somewhere that they deliberately played fullbacks and centrehalfs out of position at reserve level, or had them swap positions, to give them a more rounded defensive game. It's done as a ploy to teach them how to play in other areas at the back.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Thorpe and Tunnicliffe were very good second half. Back four and Macheda were shite.

The defenders couldn't pass wind and have no composure whatsoever. We're going to miss Michael Keane badly if they don't improve.

Macheda looks like he cant be arsed once again. The sooner he is gone the better imo. Keane > King >>>>>> Kiko

Cold_Boy

None of the back 4 have very good a chance imo.

Mcginty especially never looked good in any of the games I have seen.

mo0

can someone please troll that Tunnicliffe thread - or just link back to the glowing reports here...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Sometimes you have to roll the dice. Juventus have done with Pogba, we should at least give him a shot, in one game, IMO.

I agree about his positioning though. I actually think that there is a Berbatov-esque arrogance about him, kind of like he thinks that he is good enough for the game to come to him, he needs to get a bit more intensity in his play.
Powell? Can't say I've noticed.

Tunners grabbed the game by the balls in the final 20-25 mins, Thorpe was classy, Cole and Januzaj had some good moments, but all in all Powell was our best player.

F-Red

Tunniclife shaded the mom tonight, put some good effort in. Powell does look like he's wasted at this level & Macheda still struggles with staying on side and playing as a lone striker.