U21s: West Brom vs United

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A bit of academy football before the international break. Nice to see a PL2 live on MUTV, hasn’t been too many this season.

We’re currently 14th (26 teams) in the table with 20 points from 14 games. West Brom are 20th, 16 from 16.

MDFC Manager

A bit of academy football before the international break. Nice to see a PL2 live on MUTV, hasn’t been too many this season.

We’re currently 14th (26 teams) in the table with 20 points from 14 games. West Brom are 20th, 16 from 16.

Huddlestone needs to bulk up more.

saik

The last time I watched the u21s against Derby, we were absolutely atrocious defensively that day. Gifting goals like candies. Hopefully we play better this time around.

top1whoisman

Scout
The last time I watched the u21s against Derby, we were absolutely atrocious defensively that day. Gifting goals like candies. Hopefully we play better this time around.
Wouldn’t expect much better unfortunately. We’re quite low in numbers at the moment. Quite a few U18s players who would probably be playing here are injured. Evident by Kobbie in the U21s being the only United player called up to the England youth squads.

I’m afraid this won’t be pretty football. Not many interesting players available, hope to see at least Williams & Wheatley start. Otherwise it’ll be the same old with Murray, Huddlestone, Ogunneye, Collyer, McNeill etc.

saik

Wouldn’t expect much better unfortunately. We’re quite low in numbers at the moment. Quite a few U18s players who would probably be playing here are injured. Evident by Kobbie in the U21s being the only United player called up to the England youth squads.

I’m afraid this won’t be pretty football. Not many interesting players available, hope to see at least Williams & Wheatley start. Otherwise it’ll be the same old with Murray, Huddlestone, Ogunneye, Collyer, McNeill etc.
Yea, same as you I'm looking forward to watching Williams, Wheatley along with Missin. I don't think Missin is injured? He didn't play for the u18s so I expect him to start here. I like him, he has improved as the season progressed. Same with Wheatley.

Also, I wish we just give the same gametime to some other u18 player rather than playing Huddlestone every game. He has been part of that defensive shambles due to his lack of speed. :lol:

top1whoisman

Scout
Yea, same as you I'm looking forward to watching Williams, Wheatley along with Missin. I don't think Missin is injured? He didn't play for the u18s so I expect him to start here. I like him, he has improved as the season progressed. Same with Wheatley.

Also, I wish we just give the same gametime to some other u18 player rather than playing Huddlestone every game. He has been part of that defensive shambles due to his lack of speed. :lol:
At least I haven’t heard about any injury to Missin.

Probably the positive thing about us not having
many players to choose from is the fact that there could be a chance of another Ibragimov cameo. Amass would be a nice bonus.

The U18s don’t actually play until 6 April, unless the PL Cup final takes place before that. So there I guess there’s a chance for a few to be involved today. Mantato & Curley would be nice.

saik

The U18s don’t actually play until 6 April, unless the PL Cup final takes place before that. So there I guess there’s a chance for a few to be involved today. Mantato & Curley would be nice
Good point. Hopefully, more of the u18 regulars can get some gametime here.

top1whoisman

Scout
Harrison

Ogunneye
Kambwala
Aljofree
Murray

Collyer
Baumann

Ennis
Forson
Missin

McNeill

Subs: Plumley, Fredricson, Curley, Williams, Mantato

top1whoisman

Scout
Semi-exciting bench at least. Looking forward to watching Kambwala, Forson & Missin. That’s pretty much it when it comes to the starters.

saik

Harrison

Ogunneye
Kambwala
Aljofree
Murray

Collyer
Baumann

Forson
Ennis
Missin

McNeill

Subs: Plumley, Fredricson, Curley, Williams, Mantato
Good team. No Huddlestone, thankfully. Where's Wheatley?

Bertie Wooster

Quite happy with that team - good to see some of the promising players form the U18 are involved: Harrison, Missin, Baumann, Williams, Mantato.

Surprised to see Williams only on the bench as I do rate him and he was only a sub for the U18's as well. And shame there's no Amass or Wheatley at all.

Good to see the likes of Kambwala and Forson getting some game time - makes a lot more sense getting minutes into Kambwala rather than playing Huddlestone.

Gungerz

Brilliant to see Fredricson back. Best CB prospect in the 18s/21s pre-injury, so hopefully he can return to those levels.

top1whoisman

Scout
He was an unused sub, yeah. We started that game with Musa up top with Biancheri and Mantato on the either side of him.
Would’ve been nice to see him play but there’s also the thing with only five subs being named. Which in my opinion is stupid when you can actually make five subs each game. Hope the FA would raise that to seven or at least to six in the future.

Gungerz

Fun fact: Their keeper is Saido Berahino's (remember him?) cousin.

Another fun fact is that Saido Berahino is only 30.

top1whoisman

Scout
Interesting. Kambwala actually playing at RB, Ogunneye LCB. Could be because Willy might get more minutes as a fullback in the first team.

Hmm, they are in the shape of

Kambwala-Aljofree-Ogunneye
Missin —————————- Murray

…depending on the situation.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
11’

Brilliant switch from Aljofree, Ennis can’t get to Missin’s low cross in the box.

Last edited:

saik

Just a bit too far off that cross from Missin. Good touch from him to take it down.

top1whoisman

Scout
17’

1-0 United, OG.

Harrison starts a quick counter with a throw, Forson plays in McNeill whose cross is deflected in by a defender.

saik

Good break from us. Quick throw taken by Harrison to Forson who plays it to McNeil whose cross in turned in by their defender.

top1whoisman

Scout
19’

Collyer robs the last defender and is one-on-one with the keeper, who saves it well with his feet.

saik

Huge chance wasted by Collyer. Should really have scored.

saik

I still don't know where Forson is supposed to be playing. He is basically having a free role and popping up everywhere. :lol:

top1whoisman

Scout
31’

West Brom hit the crossbar from a decent distance. Harrison somehow saves the rebound.

top1whoisman

Scout
I still don't know where Forson is supposed to be playing. He is basically having a free role and popping up everywhere. :lol:
Yeah it’s kind of fun to watch. That’s the good thing about this formation. Gives a lot of freedom to the midfielders. We’ve already seen each one of the three being our highest player as well as deepest midfielder.

saik

We're lucky to still lead. They've had like 3 bites at the cherry there after their initial shot came back off the cross bar.

top1whoisman

Scout
37’

2-0 United. Another ball behind the defense, this time McNeill’s cross reaches Ennis who taps it in. Aljofree once again started the move, he’s been our best player.

saik

2-0 for us . Ennis scores what is basically a tap in from a cross from McNeil.

top1whoisman

Scout
40’

Harrison’s turn to open up their defense with a good long pass. Ennis returns the favour by playing in McNeill who couldn’t finish it. Ennis with an effort wide from outside the box.

top1whoisman

Scout
McNeill and Ennis have been very active without the ball. Constant runs behing the line and especially McNeill pressing like a maniac.