U23's: Man City v Man United

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Has Bernabé been earmarked for loan moves? If so, which clubs are interested in taking him in? To me, he's looked very good, defensively, I feel like he's ready to play first-team football.
Well yeah, he needs to leave esentially. There is no pathway for him currently at City but definitely has the talent to become a La Liga regular very soon.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Here are their notable players and their ages:
  • Samuel Edozie (goalscorer): 18
  • Liam Delap: 18
  • Adrián Bernabé: 19
  • Tommy Doyle: 19
  • Cole Palmer: 18
For the most part, they're about the same age as us (or slightly older as we have only two 19-year-olds), though United probably have two of the youngest players in Shoretire and Hugill.
Apart from Palmer who looks excellent two of the highest rated youngsters at City are actually James McAtee 18 and Romeo Lavia 17.

Dante

Average bang
30,000 Doyles in Ireland and 27,000 Doyles in England. I had no idea it was so close.

So we're still behind by 3,000 but there's time to come back and win it in the second half. Not bad for an away game.

Sea-Cow

From the look of the thread it sounds like no one showed up? Not even Hannibal? Thats disappointing.

Bigsid

Apart from Palmer who looks excellent two of the highest rated youngsters at City are actually James McAtee 18 and Romeo Lavia 17.
Callum Doyle their centre half also 17 and keeper 18. Looked a real gulf in teams tonight and not sure on hype on some of our players as they look a good way behind City's.

jb8521

Callum Doyle their centre half also 17 and keeper 18. Looked a real gulf in teams tonight and not sure on hype on some of our players as they look a good way behind City's.
Are you not going to do your usual comparison of ages? Or is that only reserved for when United win with an older side?

Bigsid

Are you not going to do your usual comparison of ages? Or is that only reserved for when United win with an older side?

I believe on average that city team is perhaps a year older on average? They played 2 17 year olds, 3 18 year olds and the rest were 19+. Our u18s side is generally a year older than City's with them only having one to two 18 year olds in their squad. However, their 23s appear older.

Davie Moyes

I don't know Sid. I know much less about the youth scene then most in this forum. However I've heard for years that Chelsea and City are way better than us and yes they do more often than not beat us results wise. However they rarely have produce players that makes it into their first teams.

Us on the other hand even during when have had weaker pool of players still manage to produce more first team players.

Bigsid

I don't know Sid. I know much less about the youth scene then most in this forum. However I've heard for years that Chelsea and City are way better than us and yes they do more often than not beat us results wise. However they rarely have produce players that makes it into their first teams.

Us on the other hand even during when have had weaker pool of players still manage to produce more first team players.
Absolutely. We have a better track record in producing players without doubt. Also its easier us producing them at the minute playing Europa league football than the likes of Chelsea and City who are competing at the top end of the champions league. Rashford may get a game in Citys team. Would any of our other youth graduates in the last decade?

Davie Moyes

Absolutely. We have a better track record in producing players without doubt. Also its easier us producing them at the minute playing Europa league football than the likes of Chelsea and City who are competing at the top end of the champions league. Rashford may get a game in Citys team. Would any of our other youth graduates in the last decade?
Fair points. We also look to pad out our squad with a sprinkle of youth players whilst they don't seem too bothered about that.

Do you think it's also something about how we prepare them up at Utd i.e. they may not seem the most talented in the youth setup e.g. Scott or even Rashford yet when they get into the first team squad there is something about the mentality and attitude that ensures they do pretty well.

Classical Mechanic

What nationality is Doyle, the city captain?
Shane Long has already tried this.

I wouldn't worry about it.
He's only English because he's born and raised here, plays here, his parents were English and grandfather played for England. And Doyle plays youth for England. But if he doesn't progress to the senior national team by a certain age I'm sure he'll become Irish. ;)
Both his grandfathers represented England. Pardoe at u23 level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rashford would definitely get a game, he's better than Sterling at the moment. McTominay is also better than Rodri. He might not be the style of player Pep likes but he is better. Henderson might go on to be a better player than Ederson too. Too early to say yet. And Pogba would definitely start somewhere in Pep's team. He's better than Gundogan for example. So not a bad list, 2 starters and 2 squad players. For us that's 3 starters and 1 squad player which is why they're ahead of us in the league.

Mickson

There's really not much difference in age between the teams. City has Sandler, who is 24 and highering their average age. Their players are between 17-19 in general, pretty much the same as United's. I would say a bigger difference is 1) they have played together for a long time and looks like a unit and a team and 2) they have players at their real positions. Two CBS, two fullbacks. United have Devine, who seem to have lost everything nowadays, and a young midfielder Charlie Wellens in the back four.

United didn't get a sniff in the game but apart from Fernandez, I really didn't think anyone in particular was poor. However, a midfield with Svidersky and McCann is obviously not good enough. Maybe that's the sad thing, that we didn't come close to scoring until the 93d minute and we weren't particularly bad. They are one step above right now. We need to develop our passing out from the back. Same as the first team. I thought it looked better before but somehow it's worse than ever now. I have said it earlier, it helps no one to play Devine as a CB. Maybe need to have a more balanced squad in the future.

Davie Moyes

There's really not much difference in age between the teams. City has Sandler, who is 24 and highering their average age. Their players are between 17-19 in general, pretty much the same as United's. I would say a bigger difference is 1) they have played together for a long time and looks like a unit and a team and 2) they have players at their real positions. Two CBS, two fullbacks. United have Devine, who seem to have lost everything nowadays, and a young midfielder Charlie Wellens in the back four.

United didn't get a sniff in the game but apart from Fernandez, I really didn't think anyone in particular was poor. However, a midfield with Svidersky and McCann is obviously not good enough. Maybe that's the sad thing, that we didn't come close to scoring until the 93d minute and we weren't particularly bad. They are one step above right now. We need to develop our passing out from the back. Same as the first team. I thought it looked better before but somehow it's worse than ever now. I have said it earlier, it helps no one to play Devine as a CB. Maybe need to have a more balanced squad in the future.
Cheers for the post. You explain it well. My hunch was City have the better system, team set up and balance rather than necessarily better players.

We probably do over hype our players to some extent but I think with this crop, individually, we have cause for optimism.

Ekeke

City's players from youth teams playing in the premier league :

Foden starting for City
Tosin Adarabioyo starting CB for Fulham
Jack Harrison starting left wing for Leeds
Iheanacho starting striker for Leicester
Kasper Schmikes starting goalkeeper for Leicester
Douglas Luiz starting DM for Aston Villa
Joe Hart sub keeper at Spurs
Eric Garcia sub for City

Europe:

Denayer starting CB for Lyon
Brahim Diaz sub for Milan
Rony Lopez starting for Nice

So while not many break into the City team because of all the money spent on new players and also they buy quite a few young developing players. Yangel Herrera at Granada, Pedro Porro at Sporting and Arsenal's Pablo Mari didnt play for the youth teams but were bought as young players and loaned out, not sure they played in any youth teams. They still have good list of players

JohnnyKills

Foden starting for City
Eric Garcia sub for City

Europe:

So while not many break into the City team because of all the money spent on new players and also they buy quite a few young developing players. Yangel Herrera at Granada, Pedro Porro at Sporting and Arsenal's Pablo Mari didnt play for the youth teams but were bought as young players and loaned out, not sure they played in any youth teams. They still have good list of players
Just shows how good Foden is doesn't it.

What a shame he was born in Stockport. Could have been a legend for us.

TwoSheds

Foden starting for City
Eric Garcia sub for City

Europe:

Sorry, you're going to give them Joe Hart?

And are we really going to give credit for buying young players and loaning them out while they never play for the first team? In my book that's called stockpiling and is basically just creaming off money from clubs lower down the leagues.

Douglas Luiz for example has never played for City but had 25 league appearances for Vasco de Gama before going there. They've made a nice profit on him and have a just in case buyback clause until the end of this summer.

Last edited:

cyberman

Rashford would definitely get a game, he's better than Sterling at the moment. McTominay is also better than Rodri. He might not be the style of player Pep likes but he is better. Henderson might go on to be a better player than Ederson too. Too early to say yet. And Pogba would definitely start somewhere in Pep's team. He's better than Gundogan for example. So not a bad list, 2 starters and 2 squad players. For us that's 3 starters and 1 squad player which is why they're ahead of us in the league.
They would all get a game. Pep isnt particular about his squad, its why its so huge and why he spends so much money.
Imo theres little difference between our first 11s.

Bigsid

They would all get a game. Pep isnt particular about his squad, its why its so huge and why he spends so much money.
Who would play for city? Pep isn't particular about his squad?

Offside!

Supports
Exeter City
The facts say otherwise.

PL Clubs ranked by players used

In terms of squad quality I think City's players are somewhat overrated whereas United's is underrated. It is Guardiola and his system that makes the difference.

cyberman

Who would play for city? Pep isn't particular about his squad?
He spends a lot to see if it sticks. He would love Rashford, Bruno, Pogba, Scott, tried to sign Maguire and Shaw and thats overall talent. Imo he would go mad over Greenwood he just wouldn't be playing as much as he has been.
We havent got Felaini in midfield anymore, the difference in quality is minimal imo.
Pep would make it work and be called a genius because he worked elite talent into a side.

Bigsid

He spends a lot to see if it sticks. He would love Rashford, Bruno, Pogba, Scott, tried to sign Maguire and Shaw and thats overalll talent. Imo he would go mad over Greenwood he just wouldn't be playing as much as he has been.
We havent got Felaini in midfield anymore, the difference in quality is minimal imo.
Pep would make it work and be called a genius because he worked elite talent into a side.
Meant from lads we had produced. I'll give you Rashford but no way would Greenwood be playing in Citys side.

TwoSheds

Meant from lads we had produced. I'll give you Rashford but no way would Greenwood be playing in Citys side.
Greenwood is no worse than Jesus up front. He takes a better pen too :lol:

Bigsid

Greenwood is no worse than Jesus up front. He takes a better pen too :lol:
His goal record in PL isn't. Greenwood obvs younger. Who knows? Point is lots of lads who get bench appearances for us wouldn't at top end.

cj_sparky

Mike Doyle - the most bitter blue there ever was. Hates United with a passion!! :D

Seriously though, great to see some of the sons and grandsons of old City players coming through.
Doyle's story is pretty cool to be honest. His grandads Mike Doyle and Glyn Pardoe, making 750 appearance between them at City,