U23s - Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United's Reserves have been hard at work in preparation for Monday night's Premier League 2 game against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford.

The 19:00 GMT kick-off is free to enter for all spectators and is also being shown live on MUTV as the Under-23s aim to pick up a first win of 2018. With several of the Reds' Under-18 players fighting for a place in the squad, there should be a real opportunity for the youngsters to impress on the big stage.

Angel Gomes and Aliou Traore, who have both signed professional contracts recently, trained with the group in front of the MUTV cameras, while Aidan Barlow could also be in contention.

Sbragia told ManUtd.com: "The fans who come to Old Trafford on Monday night can see what's there and what talent we've got coming through.

"We've got a nice number of players now. Maybe two to three weeks ago, we were down to 10 in training but we've balanced it up to 18 now. Some players are coming back from injuries - Tosin Kehinde and Jake Kenyon. We're just waiting on Gribbo [Callum Gribbin].

"The Under-18s are doing really well and we have great communication with their coach Kieran McKenna, while Nicky [Butt, Head of Academy] controls everything. We've taken five or six of their players up to the Reserves and we had 10 of them training with us over Christmas. It was a little opportunity to see where they are and where they want to be. They adapted extremely well to that side of it.

"That process of making room for younger players to give them reserve-team football early has always been in place whenever I've been here. If we have good 15 or 16-year-olds, we'll bring them in with us but it's certainly important for the 17 and 18-year-olds that they see a door there and a pathway as well.

"We know them, we know what they can do and it's great they can come and train with us. Some of them are playing in the games as well and are maybe slightly further ahead."

Ahead of the transfer window closing in midweek, there is likely to be more loan interest in the senior members of United's Reserves squad - particularly given the impact already made by James Wilson (Sheffield United) and Demi Mitchell (Hearts) with their new clubs. The Spurs match at Old Trafford could be an opportunity to impress any scouts and managers in attendance.

"We looked at it and talked with Willo, who knew the importance of going out on loan again," said Sbragia.

"He chose to go to Sheffield United, which is a good one for him, and his move makes room for Joshua Bohui and Indy Boonen. They had a few chances to play in the early part of the season when Willo was injured and they played extremely well against Leicester and Swansea.

"Josh is the main striker in my team now and he's got to stay in there. I thought he did well against Arsenal and made really good runs. He retained the ball quite well but he's not well developed physically yet. That will definitely come. We played Angel behind him and are giving him games as well.

"I think, in general, from my point of view, I love the senior players going out on loan. When I was here for the first time, I think we had 19 young players go out on loan and it's great development for them. It gets them in the market and people can see them, plus it leaves an opening for the younger players to show what they can do.

"I think it's the Manchester United way and it should always be that way."

Robbo*

Interested to see how we line-up after losing those couple of lads on loan.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's an excellent interview by Sbargia. Really promising stuff.

khoazany

Traore won't start after already played for the U17s on weekend.

Hazard a guess at the line-up: O'Hara - Olosunde, Warren, Williams, Kenyon - Sang, Hamilton - Kehinde, Gomes, Boonen - Bohui.

Buffonge, Barlow and Traore to come on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Traore won't start after already played for the U17s on weekend.

Hazard a guess at the line-up: O'Hara - Olosunde, Warren, Williams, Kenyon - Sang, Hamilton - Kehinde, Gomes, Boonen - Bohui.

Buffonge, Barlow and Traore to come on.
Has Barlow played for the U23s yet? He's a very handy player from what I've seen of him at U18.

kundalini

Has Barlow played for the U23s yet? He's a very handy player from what I've seen of him at U18.
He came on as a sub after 69 mins in the recent 0-4 defeat against Arsenal

In terms of the article, I would have liked Sbragia to explain why the team has been struggling and what they need to do better. James Wilson and Demi Mitchell provided 7 of the 11 goals the team has scored in the League. Bohui (0), Boonen (1) and Dearnley (0) have one goal between them at U23 level (in the League). Kehinde, Gribbin and Buffonge have one each this season.

Last edited:

AP88

Supports
Man City
My favorite youth player - just something I like about him that makes me believe he’ll go relatively under the radar til 20 then explode.

Mickson

Borthwick-Jackson will surely play. Probably Redmond too.

My favorite youth player - just something I like about him that makes me believe he’ll go relatively under the radar til 20 then explode.
Lampard-esque. Always seems to score or assist.

AltiUn

Chong, Barlow, Gomes and O'Connor all start, this game is well worth a watch.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
The time has come to enjoy the u23s again. Win or lose it’s become more interesting.

Nicklas

Gonna be great to see O'Connor, Hamilton, Chong and Gomes together!

Nero

Chong, Barlow, O'Connor, Gomes, Boonen. Awesome.

RedDevilRoshi

Might tune in after seeing that lineup.

What are folks’ opinions on Bohui & Buffonge? I’ve not watched that many of the reserves action this season and those two are names I remember along with the likes of Gomes, Chong, Boonen, O’Connor who really impressed when they all played together in the U18’s last season.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think they are playing this team so as to practice for the uefa youth league. Its a good shakeup and very exciting lineup.

Nero

I like Barlow as an #8. Played there a few times for the U18's.

AltiUn

Been the best team so far but neither keeper really troubled yet.

AltiUn

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of a game plan for either side at the moment.

AltiUn

24 minutes Bennett booked for Spurs after stopping Chong on a counter attack.

AltiUn

All the U18s are playing very well, certainly don't seem over-awed.

AltiUn

Penalty to Tottenham, Warren gives it away. Not had a good game at all. Saved by Joel Pereira.