UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

MarylandMUFan

you'd think that now everyone has a high-res camera in their pocket someone might get a good shot of one some day
That's really it isn't it? If we get good quality video it's easily recognizable as something we know (balloon, insect, plane etc...). It's only when we get blurry unrecognizable footage that people jump to "alien space craft".

GBBQ

That's really it isn't it? If we get good quality video it's easily recognizable as something we know (balloon, insect, plane etc...). It's only when we get blurry unrecognizable footage that people jump to "alien space craft".
Was in the garden a couple of days ago and a red kite (the bird) flew over head. I whipped out the phone to get a quick snap but I just couldn’t get a clear shot of it because of how much I needed to zoom in due to how high up it was and then how fast it was moving on the zoomed in screen. This was in the day time with good visibility as well.

That’s not to say I believe we’re being visited by aliens but I think most people would struggle to get a clear shot of something moving in high altitudes at high speeds.

The Firestarter

Cannot disagree with you and that was never my intention.
However, I stand by what I said about the massive distances.
The only particles that travel at the speed of light are those with no mass. The fastest our space probes have travelled is about 10 Km/second. And that is using the gravitational pull of the moon (s) or planets. So way slower than even a fraction of a percentage speed of light.
Yes I accept that this is using what we know. And bear in mind the forces during the Apollo declaration phase.
Just saying...
Well we had already shown in this thread that due to time dillation , actual travel time ar 0.99c is around 5 days from alfa centauri . So , it is still doesnt break the hardest limit we know and what all of our modern science is based on.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well we had already shown in this thread that due to time dillation , actual travel time ar 0.99c is around 5 days from alfa centauri . So , it is still doesnt break the hardest limit we know and what all of our modern science is based on.
Don't understand that about time dilation.
Time is relative. But the only thing which affects it is the speed one is travelling compared to another.
Anyway. As I keep repeating, I have an open mind.

The Firestarter

Don't understand that about time dilation.
Time is relative. But the only thing which affects it is the speed one is travelling compared to another.
Anyway. As I keep repeating, I have an open mind.
The fact is that the object in motion experiences signifcantly less time compared to the time passed in the other frame of reference , and that factor is bigger the more close its speed is to c. You do understand this basic fact about special relativity , correct?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The fact is that the object in motion experiences signifcantly less time compared to the time passed in the other frame of reference , and that factor is bigger the more close its speed is to c. You do understand this basic fact about special relativity , correct?
I understand that time is relative and the closer one is to the speed of light, the slower time passes relative to someone who is static.
But as I believe the likelihood of anything artificial and with mass getting to even a small percentage of the speed of light is extremely remote, I don't see that having much of an effect.
But of course I may be wrong.

Last edited:

nickm

Well yeah for the ships crew, but it's still a ~10 year round trip from the perspective of the people at home (travel + return/return signal). And that's our closest neighbour.

Quite apart from the formidable challenges of accelerating to that speed, shielding the ship from bomb like impacts of dust etc and stopping the crew from being fried by radiation resulting from relativistic speeds.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well yeah for the ships crew, but it's still a ~10 year round trip from the perspective of the people at home (travel + return/return signal). And that's our closest neighbour.

Quite apart from the formidable challenges of accelerating to that speed, shielding the ship from bomb like impacts of dust etc and stopping the crew from being fried by radiation resulting from relativistic speeds.
All completely correct.
These are a number of the realities that some choose to skip over or ignore.
And of course, communication and control from and back to their home planet will take decades.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Actually 230 days, as I mentioned the last time. Assuming instant 0.99c, which would take a monumental amount of energy and a stupidly high G force. Even our sort-of-realistic-but-still-sci-fi ideas involve slow acceleration to the half way point, then flipping around and breaking for the second half of the trip.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
All completely correct.
These are a number of the realities that some choose to skip over or ignore.
And of course, communication and control from and back to their home planet will take decades.
But, what if they brought all of their people with them in an invisible undetectable ship?

Some people choose to skip over why they'd come in the first place.

They will have exhausted all of the resources on their previous world and have come for ours. Big SURPRISE we exhausted it first!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But, what if they brought all of their people with them in an invisible undetectable ship?

Some people choose to skip over why they'd come in the first place.

They will have exhausted all of the resources on their previous world and have come for ours. Big SURPRISE we exhausted it first!
Yes indeed.
Let them sort out climate change.
And how stupid of them all coming here just when were are having a global pandemic.
Oh wait....

The Firestarter

Actually 230 days, as I mentioned the last time. Assuming instant 0.99c, which would take a monumental amount of energy and a stupidly high G force. Even our sort-of-realistic-but-still-sci-fi ideas involve slow acceleration to the half way point, then flipping around and breaking for the second half of the trip.
The speed requirement was 0.999995c for 5 days. Its not a dramatic difference in travel time comapared to time elapsed in the non accelerated frame of reference.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have no idea what all this science talk means. Did these objects do anything that cannot be explained?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have no idea what all this science talk means. Did these objects do anything that cannot be explained?
From what I read and understood, the only thing that was unexplained was that they were not able to identify them as of known origin or known objects.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
From what I read and understood, the only thing that was unexplained was that they were not able to identify them as of known origin or known objects.
And it seems that every one of any note is usually easily explained when looked at by people like Mick West.

The Firestarter

Not provably, no. The ones that appear to do crazy stuff are observed in one way only (radar, camera, human observer, etc), so it's impossible to confirm.
Not true, in 2004 the accelerarions were observed both visually and on radar.

The Firestarter

They are not breaking any physical limit , but since they dont have any visible sign of propulsion there must be science there that is beyond our reach.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
They are not breaking any physical limit , but since they dont have any visible sign of propulsion there must be science there that is beyond our reach.
Can we explain where they come from or where they go?

The Firestarter

At least on some occasion they have been observed to submerge in the ocean. There has been one radar operator on the uss Princeton that claims to have have detected groups of UAP descending rapidly from low earth orbit. This has not been corroborated yet I believe.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And actually, that is, in my view, the most important question. Cause and effect. There has to be a cause in the first place.
As I mentioned recently, if you take a fairly arbitrary distance from our solar system of say 25 light years, there are about 100 stars.
While that may sound a lot, in reality, it is not, given there are about 200 billion stars in our galaxy. And it is 100 thousand light years across
So the likelihood of two stars within such a short distance having species capable of interstellar travel has to be minute at best.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
And actually, that is, in my view, the most important question. Cause and effect. There has to be a cause in the first place.
As I mentioned recently, if you take a fairly arbitrary distance from our solar system of say 25 light years, there are about 100 stars.
While that may sound a lot, in reality, it is not, given there are about 200 billion stars in our galaxy. And it is 100 thousand light years across
So the likelihood of two stars within such a short distance having species capable of interstellar travel has to be minute at best.
I don't disagree at all, having such a species within such a close area would be an incredible coincidence, in truth a habitable planet within such a solar system even having given rise to what we even consider any life let alone intelligent life forms at the same period of time as us would be beyond consideration. Yet we don't know what is possible. Even within our own planet we have yet to discover what there is to know regarding every species.

However, my meaning was more to do with some of the supposed phenomenon seen and from where within the atmosphere they have appeared and whence they have disappeared to within our own Earth's boundaries.

luke511

And it seems that every one of any note is usually easily explained when looked at by people like Mick West.
Mick West recently said he hasn't been able to debunk the Fravor case.

The Firestarter

Do you know what he’s waiting for if they’re usually easily debunked?
I wonder how with his stellar qualifications of video game programming and several pilot training courses he has taken, Biden has not yet invited him to be his special advisor.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In any case, that was apparently not enough to say if they were actual crazy acceleration or not. The last report made that pretty clear. No advanced technology or capability has been proven, or even made very likely.
Any advanced technology or capability still has to work within the universal laws of physics. And in particular the conservation of energy.
F=MA here on earth and everywhere else.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I figured this should go in this thread. Here's a video which shows the danger in assuming professionals always know what they are looking at. That's come up a few times in these UFO/UAP discussions, with people using it as an argument in favour of these things possibly being extraterrestrial in origin, breaking the laws of physics, etc. Often those involved pilots misinterpreting what they were seeing. In this video, a navy team leader misidentifies stars as drones, and the Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence seemingly repeats these claims in the UAP hearings.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
bumping this thread as shit is about to go down