UEFA: abandoned leagues go on points per game or current position.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Sorry if this has been discussed but UEFA are meeting this week to discuss how CL places are doled out if the season ends prematurely. We are sitting in fifth, which should see us qualify if the City ban is upheld. But Sheffield United sit in seventh place with a game in hand - if they won it, they would be fifth. What a mess.

Oc if Ole didn't make CL, he might get sacked, ushering in the Poch era. So this really matters.

Remember the geese

Sorry if this has been discussed but UEFA are meeting this week to discuss how CL places are doled out if the season ends prematurely. We are sitting in fifth, which should see us qualify if the City ban is upheld. But Sheffield United sit in seventh place with a game in hand - if they won it, they would be fifth. What a mess.

Oc if Ole didn't make CL, he might get sacked, ushering in the Poch era. So this really matters.
Absolutely no chance that Ole gets sacked.

glazed

If season is ended, it is probably declared void and last season's table continues to be honored.
I think I'd be happy with that. Keeping the dippers from winning the league is worth another year of Europa.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think I'd be happy with that. Keeping the dippers from winning the league is worth another year of Europa.
I'm still debating enjoying the rest of the season with a fit Pogba/Rashford/Martial/Bruno vs the schadenfreude of watching the dippers get denied by a literal plague. This is funnier than the beach ball, Crystanbul, Slippy G combined.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If season is ended, it is probably declared void and last season's table continues to be honored.
If UEFA is the one who makes the decision then PL being void won't matter for the UCL Qualification decision. Let's say if the league is void but UEFA declares that the UCL Qualification is based on whatever the current league table then last season's table ain't matter anymore right?

So there is a hope that we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

If the season stops now, we are also ahead on average points per game.

Be interesting to see if we allow them to keep Henderson for the extra months of the season. Assuming the Premier league continues into the summer.

glazed

If UEFA is the one who makes the decision then PL being void won't matter for the UCL Qualification decision. Let's say if the league is void but UEFA declares that the UCL Qualification is based on whatever the current league table then last season's table ain't matter anymore right?
But then do you have a play off between Sheffield United and Manchester United?

cyril C

If the season stops now, we are also ahead on average points per game.

Be interesting to see if we allow them to keep Henderson for the extra months of the season. Assuming the Premier league continues into the summer.
If a season is void, it is cancelled, how can there be average points, extrapolate or any guesstimate?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Let’s be honest, the powers that be would rather have us in the Champions League, so whatever happens Sheffield Utd ain’t getting a free pass.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If a season is void, it is cancelled, how can there be average points, extrapolate or any guesstimate?
I'm assuming that there will be a difference between cancelling the season (null and void, all records expunged, no title winner, no promotion or relegation) and using the current standing as the final standings. If it's the latter, then those with a game in hand need to be leveled out, either with average points per game, or some sort of form-based decider.

The latter just sounds way too messy and way too unfair on the teams who would get relegated for it to be considered though. Finish the season, or completely void it. Anything in between is just chaos.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There are lots of permutations that they can apply and I think government bodies even suggested a "creative" approach may be required?

That means we can't rule anything out - I don't think a snapshot will be applied. It can be a play-off for European spots perhaps, akin to the Championship play-offs.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...senal-chelsea-man-city-champions-league-spot/

The sun claims that UEFA chiefs might push to use the coefficient scores of the clubs in the UEFA rankings to decide which teams play in the UCL next seasons if the leagues will be voided. This will make us and Arsenal in UCL and will see Spurs taking city's spot in UCL. Chelsea and Leicester will play in europa league.
Doesn't make sense. Are they going to relegate teams based on coefficients too?

fps

I would love to see a play-off set between the four teams with more realistic chances of qualifying below the certainties. Say Chelsea, Wolves, Man Utd, Sheffield United, randomly drawn? (Though we know two of those teams would be kept apart.)

cyberman

It kind of does make sense if this season is void and the beginning of next season takes too long to commence. How is relying on 2019 results in 2021 any fairer than coefficents?
Somebody is getting screwed here regardless if everything is voided.

James Peril

Absolutely no chance that Ole gets sacked.
The season has been a travesty from the start, and as mentioned, we are potentially behind Sheffield United after 32 games. How is there absolutely no chance of him being sacked as he should be? We are Man Utd, not West Ham.

El Zoido

The season has been a travesty from the start, and as mentioned, we are potentially behind Sheffield United after 32 games. How is there absolutely no chance of him being sacked as he should be? We are Man Utd, not West Ham.
It has not been a travesty, stop talking nonsense.

rotherham_red

With how this is going, a serious question has to be asked if there is even going to be a UCL to compete for next season. Intercontinental and international flights will almost certainly be difficult to justify with the nature and contagiousness of Covid-19

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Itd be better for UEFA to just let city play next year and press the charges a year later.
Save them a load of headache and legal drama over the 5th place situation.

Remember the geese

Yes, let's sack our manager. It's not as if we are showing any signs of improvement or anything. We are in desperate need of Sancho. If we can get him and a couple of others to compliment the team, we will have the perfect nucleus in place in order to challenge for the highest honours. The only thing then we may or may not have to wait for is the maturity of the group, as it is a young emerging team.

glazed

If it is safe to play play-off, why can't you finish the season?
It would be a play-off in September, as normally happens with Champions League. Perhaps I should have said preliminary.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Don’t see us getting CL unless we are allowed to play our next game. We are likely to get screwed over some way.

KennyBurner

I just read that if the season was voided we would be awarded champions league based off coefficient points. its would go City, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. I can live with that to be honest. I have no doubt Chelsea and Leicester would take legal action though.

glazed

Why not? If the season ends with all games completed and he doesn't get CL he should go.
They were planning to sack him for Poch I think. Bit harder to do that now but they still might. It will mess up their 'failure to qualify for CL' cheap dismissal contract clause though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why not? If the season ends with all games completed and he doesn't get CL he should go.
Because it's not so cut and dry as that is it? We were ending the season strongly. Why derail that and ruin potentially a good season next year?

All the players seem happy and the club is being ran well. Ole stays unless next season falls apart then.

Remember the geese

Don't agree. I think we're really onto something right now. Ole is doing a very good job in laying the foundations for an exciting new team. Our recruitment has been very good under him. We are a few additions (as well as some of the kids maturing) away from developing into a side which is capable of competing for the biggest prizes. I see a potential sacking of our manage as sabotage.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Because it's not so cut and dry as that is it? We were ending the season strongly. Why derail that and ruin potentially a good season next year?

All the players seem happy and the club is being ran well. Ole stays unless next season falls apart then.
Not for me. I still don't like the way we play. We win with 5 defenders scoring on a counter or from set pieces just like Greece won the Euro. No thanks. We've got good players, now we need a good manager.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I understand the idea is the cancel the season to start the new one in September. But who says they are going to be able to start a new one in September??

it might take 12 months of stop-start restrictions before we get out of this mess. Just keep going as best you can

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not for me. I still don't like the way we play. We win with 5 defenders scoring on a counter or from set pieces just like Greece won the Euro. No thanks. We've got good players, now we need a good manager.
I think this post will look silly in a years time.

always_hoping

The obsession with Poch is still strong with some. If and when Ole leaves other and better options are out there to come in.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

The United chiefs have fully commited to this project, and despite a rocky season, 2020 has been a VERY good year for Manchester United in terms of stability and results. If they backed the manager halfway intot he season with all the problems, they're not going to fire him when Manchester United is one of the most in form team in Europe.

Player harmony is high, the staff is doing something right.

Tibs

If we miss CL, but Liverpool miss the PL - I'll take it every day of the week