UEFA: abandoned leagues go on points per game or current position.

Brightonian

The timing is so frustrating because we were clearly the side with the momentum to claim that fourth spot. 11 game unbeaten run: 8 wins 3 draws; wins against City (twice) and Chelsea; 29 goals for, 2 against. Bruno Fernandes the standout January signing in the league.

Brightonian

Not for me. I still don't like the way we play. We win with 5 defenders scoring on a counter or from set pieces just like Greece won the Euro. No thanks. We've got good players, now we need a good manager.
What nonsense. Possession is not the same as positivity: we had plenty of the former under Van Gaal, but we were much less attacking than we are now. In general. Solskjaer has been the most attack-minded of our managers post-Fergie. And before the virus we were playing our best attacking football too. To quote myself above, 29 goals for and 2 against in our last 11 games.

Robertd0803

No guarantee they would win the game in hand either.

It being awarded on co-effients would be another mess (although it benefits us).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
City, CAS likely won't make a decision in time cause of this
They were never going to make a decision in time - but City probably could have got any ban suspended during an initial hearing as they set a timetable for hearing the full case

Im not sure if citys ban will now stand or if CAS will hold a virtual session or write to UEFA asking for a suspension of the ban?

I think if it goes on last seasons standings and city are banned then Arsenal would get the place?

Gut feeling city will throw enough lawyers at the problem and have the ban suspended to allow them to play in next years CL

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People thinking Solskjaer would be sacked are living on a different planet.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What nonsense. Possession is not the same as positivity: we had plenty of the former under Van Gaal, but we were much less attacking than we are now. In general. Solskjaer has been the most attack-minded of our managers post-Fergie. And before the virus we were playing our best attacking football too. To quote myself above, 29 goals for and 2 against in our last 11 games.
Attacking football?? now that is nonsense. You havent seen us play attacking football for so long you have forgotten what it looks like. I never mentioned possession football anywhere so i dont know why you are. Ole is in no way attack minded. When ever we play against a "big" team its always the same. 5 defenders counter attack or score from set pieces. Just like Greece in the Euros.

Andersonson

I think I'd be happy with that. Keeping the dippers from winning the league is worth another year of Europa.
You a United fan or a Liverpool hater?
Your reasoning makes zero sense.

I much rather have us in CL and Liverpool winning the league than one more season in EL.

United shouldnt have a loser mentality

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not for me. I still don't like the way we play. We win with 5 defenders scoring on a counter or from set pieces just like Greece won the Euro. No thanks. We've got good players, now we need a good manager.
Well that's absolutely rubbish.

We just won our EL away quarter final 5-0 in our last game, a team that topped the league with Red Bull Salzburg that nearly got a draw at Anfield earlier in the season.

Since Bruno has arrived everything is looking better, if you can't see that then you're choosing to.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You a United fan or a Liverpool hater?
Your reasoning makes zero sense.
I don't hate Liverpool. I just take huge pleasure in them not winning the title. Playing in the UCL is nice, no question. But we don't really deserve it this season.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Void all European Leagues and let the European spots be decided by co-efficients if we are to have CL and Europa next year.

RUCK4444

Wow what an incredibly narrow minded post.

Some people have lost all grip on reality when it comes to United.

As others have mentioned there has been a big swing in consistency and performances recently, especially with the addition of Bruno.

The team are in a good place, playing for the manager who they clearly like and they back him. Great positivity around the team with injured players coming back into the fold.

That’s before you factor in the next transfer window and the possibility of signing Sancho and one or two others.

Why the feck would you mess with that now? Do you really watch the games and analyse these things or are you just stamping your feet until we magically turn into a prime 08 Barca??

The journey back to the top takes hard work and Ole is making strides, whether you choose to see it or not is another matter.

Brightonian

Attacking football?? now that is nonsense. You havent seen us play attacking football for so long you have forgotten what it looks like. I never mentioned possession football anywhere so i dont know why you are. Ole is in no way attack minded. When ever we play against a "big" team its always the same. 5 defenders counter attack or score from set pieces. Just like Greece in the Euros.
It looks like 29 goals in 11 games.

Big games? In our 2-0 victory against City we had 12 shots to their 7, 6 shots on target to their 4.

cyril C

It would be a play-off in September, as normally happens with Champions League. Perhaps I should have said preliminary.
Schedule and next season's CL / Europa event would have been scheduled already, leaving it blank? Beside, what if there is Europa and CL qualifier, sometimes even pre-qualifier? Will the rest of Europe wait for you? Lastly, how are you going to budget for 2021 season?

cyril C

I'm assuming that there will be a difference between cancelling the season (null and void, all records expunged, no title winner, no promotion or relegation) and using the current standing as the final standings. If it's the latter, then those with a game in hand need to be leveled out, either with average points per game, or some sort of form-based decider.

The latter just sounds way too messy and way too unfair on the teams who would get relegated for it to be considered though. Finish the season, or completely void it. Anything in between is just chaos.
While all outcomes are possible, apparently UEFA's current stand, is finish it, or void, no current standing. In either scenario there is going to be dispute. Void is probably the fairest outcome. Then it comes to WHO should compete in CL / Europa next season, well, UEFA say coefficient which favours MU and Arsenal.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I just read that if the season was voided we would be awarded champions league based off coefficient points. its would go City, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. I can live with that to be honest. I have no doubt Chelsea and Leicester would take legal action though.
What legal action? UEFA makes the rules.

Woodzy

Void all European Leagues and let the European spots be decided by co-efficients if we are to have CL and Europa next year.
I know this benefits us but either way I don’t think I would be totally against this idea.

Whatever route they decide is probably going to upset those that miss out, but at least this way we are going on historic merit rather than a flash in a plan.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
While all outcomes are possible, apparently UEFA's current stand, is finish it, or void, no current standing. In either scenario there is going to be dispute. Void is probably the fairest outcome. Then it comes to WHO should compete in CL / Europa next season, well, UEFA say coefficient which favours MU and Arsenal.
Hasn't there been other leagues in Europe looking to use current standings? I thought that was what Belgium was doing. I definitely don't like that idea though.

I wasn't aware coefficient was being discussed. Probably fair if the leagues are totally voided. Leicester will be raging about it. And probably Chelsea.

Lentwood

Sorry if this has been discussed but UEFA are meeting this week to discuss how CL places are doled out if the season ends prematurely. We are sitting in fifth, which should see us qualify if the City ban is upheld. But Sheffield United sit in seventh place with a game in hand - if they won it, they would be fifth. What a mess.

Oc if Ole didn't make CL, he might get sacked, ushering in the Poch era. So this really matters.
There is absolutely zero, zilch, 0%, 0.00, nil, nada chance that Ole gets sacked before the start of next season, whatever happens and whenever that might be

Lentwood

There is absolutely zero, zilch, 0%, 0.00, nil, nada chance that Ole gets sacked before the start of next season, whatever happens and whenever that might be
Let's face it, as arrogant as this sounds, the Champions League is not supposed to be about the plucky underdog, it's UEFA's premier club competition. Fans in China and the US don't want to see Sheffield Utd vs Atalanta, they wan't to see Manchester Utd vs Barcelona etc...regardless of who technically deserves what!

I have a feeling we're likely to be favoured if qualification does have to be decided off the pitch

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Us all day. Sheffield should cherish their season in Europa before they fade back into obscurity in a couple of years' time.

cyril C

Hasn't there been other leagues in Europe looking to use current standings? I thought that was what Belgium was doing. I definitely don't like that idea though.

I wasn't aware coefficient was being discussed. Probably fair if the leagues are totally voided. Leicester will be raging about it. And probably Chelsea.
Belgium can do whatever they like but will be DQ by UEFA because not following UEFA guideline on season void. According to early information, UEFA doesn't pick current stand.

glazed

I'm not so sure about that. I reckon they might if they have a Poch/Kane deal in the wings - which I think they do. .

jem

I'm still debating enjoying the rest of the season with a fit Pogba/Rashford/Martial/Bruno vs the schadenfreude of watching the dippers get denied by a literal plague. This is funnier than the beach ball, Crystanbul, Slippy G combined.
Given the circumstances, it's really not.

Gasolin

I'm not so sure about that. I reckon they might if they have a Poch/Kane deal in the wings - which I think they do. .
0% is 0% mate... look at the team and the mood within the players! It's just not happening.

Gasolin

I just read that if the season was voided we would be awarded champions league based off coefficient points. its would go City, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. I can live with that to be honest. I have no doubt Chelsea and Leicester would take legal action though.
UEFA coefficients? Really? That sounds very very unlikely.
I think it must be a joke.

I thought they say the sporting merit should be used.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...agues-to-determine-placings-on-sporting-merit

So we are 5th.

I don't understand the ban situation of City but it doesn't seem to be enforced, does it?
While they appealed and the CAS has not ruled, there's no chance there is ban, isn't there?

glazed

UEFA have spoken. It seems that it will be decided on points per game or current position. Either way we finish fifth and dippers are champions. Coefficients are off the table. Games should be played if possible, even as play-offs. But in most cases that's not looking very likely unless it's behind closed doors.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So basically Sheff Utd and Arsenal would move up a place each/?
Edit - I guess they'd be below Tottenham on goal difference, but if they average 1.43 points per game, would they round it down?

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
If we miss CL, but Liverpool miss the PL - I'll take it every day of the week
I will never understand why people put the failures of others over our success. Us reaching the CL will allow us to sign better players, putting us in a stronger position next season, and, you know, Manchester United being in the world's premier football competition.

Please explain to me how Liverpool losing the title helps us next season, or ever.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So if the league games cant be played we are in the CL if citys ban stands

Effectively our fate is on if CAS will suspend their suspension - or I guess more specifically as that seems likely if CAS can arrange a court session to do that between now and whenever the deadline is

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
UEFA coefficients? Really? That sounds very very unlikely.
I think it must be a joke.

I thought they say the sporting merit should be used.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...agues-to-determine-placings-on-sporting-merit

So we are 5th.

I don't understand the ban situation of City but it doesn't seem to be enforced, does it?
While they appealed and the CAS has not ruled, there's no chance there is ban, isn't there?
I believe CAS can suspend the suspension and based on past cases that would seem probable - however in the past I believe this has been done at the initial hearing (basically an overview of evidence and a timescale and then an application to say we believe we have done nothing wrong and the case will prove that so please suspend punishment till final verdict

But will CAS get to sit to have that initial hearing before the deadline for teams being selected for next seasons CL?

My gut feel is city throw enough lawyers at the problem to get a virtual hearing or similar but no guarantees - so id say we still have a shot at automatic cl if the league is ended

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1264472/Man-City-Champions-League-appeal-coronavirus