UEFA deal with 9 Super League clubs; 3 rebels face sanctions | 9 clubs will make combined payment of 15 million

tomaldinho1

Exactly. As I said in another thread, if I buy you a present with money you gave me didn't you just buy it yourself?
They adding icing to the cake with this whole fan's can buy shares idea as well - no one should touch them with a barge pole until they tank.

UpWithRivers

Joke. Yeah I get the backlash from fans and players etc. but UEFA are not the friggin mafia. How can they impose sanctions for leaving unless its a contractual obligation. If I was any of the owners Id tell them to fk off. Whats next BBC and Sky fine them 500 mill for talking to Amazon. They purposely set it low and probably with the owners permission to look like they are being reprimanded for the sake of the fans but they all know they have no grounds to start imposing massive sanctions. I get the fans might not be happy with this but there has to be some kind of legality and morality and not a dictatorship body like UEFA who is the God and self imposed Law of football.

always_hoping

A mere slap on the wrist. Next I'd hope UEFA have the sense to scrap that 2024 CL format and come up with something more suitable

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
A mere slap on the wrist. Next I'd hope UEFA have the sense to scrap that 2024 CL format and come up with something more suitable
i’d keep largely the same format but have owner foxy boxing to replace the traditional coefficient seeding. joel glazer and bruce buck, oiled up in bikinis, five 3 minute rounds. first to lose their top loses.

this would ensure a more exciting group stage, with the top teams drawn against each other in groups of death, and smaller sides progressing further in the competition. we will also get the added bonus of seeing joel’s greased up nips, which will go a long way to building trust with the fans again.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is nothing but a "show of good faith" fine and acceptance to pay it.

The clubs never broke and rules of the sport. Their mistake was the enormous societal upset they were trying to advance, and that is why they have agreed to pay a symbolic lump sum.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No CL money and a big find to boot for Barca. That would be a big financial blow for them.

Paxi

CAS will overturn it.
I don’t think they will. All other clubs accepted fines for their involvement whilst the 3 still continue with this ESL nonsense. Can’t have it both ways and I’m sure CAS would see it this way too.

OverratedOpinion

CAS will overturn it.
I think you are quite right that they would if any of them appealed. It seems they won't though, I think after the bad press it would be worse for them to try and fight it and essentially walk back on all of the faux guilt they came out with. UEFA also know they have very tenuous legal standing here which is why they have made it such an inconsequential amount. Face saving exercise all around.

FatTails

Napoli were so close to qualifying and bottled it last minute. I expect this to happen, Napoli to qualify, and then for CAS to overturn it and take it away from Napoli again :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This would also put an asterisk next to whoever wins the champions League though.
No it wouldn't, those clubs are a level below right now. The best clubs and those favourites would be in England, France & Germany anyway.

Why on earth are these clubs still persisting? Without anyone any other clubs, it’s obviously futile and not going to happen.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have to imagine that this is statement case for UEFA. The rule of law will be paramount and you’d imagine that their lawyers will have poured over the legality of their decision prior to announcing it. Obviously it would be appealed but unlike FFP, I don’t expect this is a slam dunk reversal on appeal. This will all come down to technicalities that we can only speculate about on here. If UEFA can’t expel clubs as a sanction, they will lose a lot of power. It’s riskier to do this, IMO, and lose, than not do this at all. So again, I’d like to think they believe they are on rock solid ground to do it.

stevoc

Real, Barca & Juve: ''Fine we're going to start our own Champions League with Blackjack and Hookers.''

stevoc

If these 3 clubs are banned from the CL next season then what's stopping them setting up their own competition and inviting other clubs to play in it?

As much as I hated the format of the Super League I don't see why UEFA should have a monopoly on organizing European competitions.

The Firestarter

If these 3 clubs are banned from the CL next season then what's stopping them setting up their own competition and inviting other clubs to play in it?
You mean...what they literally tried to do a month ago and got a pushback of galactic proportions?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

As much as I hated the format of the Super League I don't see why UEFA should have a monopoly on organizing European competitions.
After the pathetic mess they made of their ESL project no one in their right mind is going to join them.

RedDevilzFox

Why on earth are these clubs still persisting? Without anyone any other clubs, it’s obviously futile and not going to happen.
I am not sure either, maybe they are hoping to force some kind of "sweet deal" from UEFA in terms of prize money or some kind of leeway. But that wouldn't fly by other clubs (I hope) so it is hard to say what is their end game.

Paxi

Have you been living under a rock this past while? :)

stevoc

You mean...what they literally tried to do a month ago and got a pushback of galactic proportions?
Yeah but then they were trying to replace the Champions League and have a closed shop, that's why they got push back.

This time they'll have been banned by UEFA from European competition, so there's nothing stopping them setting up an exhibition tournament and inviting a few teams not in Europe to take part.

After the pathetic mess they made of their ESL project no one in their right mind is going to join them.
I think you'd be surprised for a start Arsenal would say yes. :lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe Florentino and Madrid are more liable to JP Morgan than they revealed and can't back out without penalties. Someone's name had to be put on first. The big banks surely include a "no backsies" clause, they don't care who it is as long as they gain something.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
The rest of the Spanish League clubs should demand greater % of the revenue in the next round of negotiations, that will really hurt Barca and Madrid where it hurts looo|. They're hurting so bad because of financial mismanagement and now shared TV revenues loool

RoyH1

UEFA must be pretty damn sure of their position for them doing this. If this goes to ordinary justice, I don't think their case is as solid as they think it is. They are a monopoly after all.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Don't think they will expel them, it's a scare tactic to force them to leave and then slap them with the same pathetic fine, they need these clubs.

Wonder what will happen if they still don't leave and UEFA don't expel them as let's be honest, CAS will overturn it.

Cloud7

Can the CAS actually overturn this decision? After all, is participation in the CL not by invitation by UEFA so technically they can ban whoever they please? Or am I wrong in this?