UEFA deal with 9 Super League clubs; 3 rebels face sanctions | 9 clubs will make combined payment of 15 million

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
UEFA must be pretty damn sure of their position for them doing this. If this goes to ordinary justice, I don't think their case is as solid as they think it is. They are a monopoly after all.
Does them being a monopoly really mean anything? They aren't prohibiting other tournaments, they are basically just saying that clubs have to choose: Found an own organization OR stock with us, you can't have it both ways. And probably ask for a compensation since the clubs didn't fulfill their contractual duties/the contractual way of leaving or something like that.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This would also put an asterisk next to whoever wins the champions League though.
Why? None of them got to this year's final and we won't asterisk that?

Also, none of them could win their domestic league, so don't see how some 2nd/3rd placed teams missing out devalues anything - it can't be because "yeah but it's Barca/Real/Juve, they're different". They're not.

ReddBalls

UEFA must be pretty damn sure of their position for them doing this. If this goes to ordinary justice, I don't think their case is as solid as they think it is. They are a monopoly after all.
The UEFA might be a monopoly of sorts, but they are also a part of the ruling body of the association of football, in which all countries of the world, and thereby their national associations are member. Every association do have their represenative to the general council. Why associations? In sports you have to have a set of rules that everybody plays by and a place to discuss them.

Thinking of UEFA as a "monopoly" in market terms does not quite cut it when it comes to UEFAs position, as everyone involved in football is a part of FIFA, and UEFA if they are involved in European football. You know, like most democratic nations who has a hint of corruption (presumably all of them). But that is maybe not what you meant?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Broadcasters would also want a rebate. Can't see it happening.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Broadcasters would also want a rebate. Can't see it happening.
Even if broadcasters could actually legally withhold money it might be a price worth paying if it sets a precedent that protects UEFA from future breakaway projects. And the economic damage would still be way worse to the clubs in question, at least relatively speaking. So one would assume that they will cave in, before things go that far.

ReddBalls

Ah gotcha. Yeah that’s fair enough actually.
Not really. There is no way there are clauses in the contracts between UEFA and their broadcasters stipulating specific teams participating.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They were pretty sure with City's FFP indiscretion and that did not go as they planned it

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not really. There is no way there are clauses in the contracts between UEFA and their broadcasters stipulating specific teams participating.
There won’t be explicit language but there will be language that could be interpreted as such and it won’t be about specific (named) teams, it will be stating that teams which achieve certain objectives are not representing their competitions.

So rather than thinking of it as asking why “Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus aren’t present” they will be asking why LaLiga positions 2 and 3 and Serie A positions 4 are absent from the competition

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Barca and Real really are going to struggle over the next decade or so. Money troubles, aging squads and now a potential ban/financial hit. If i was a player i would seriously be evaluating whether either side would be capable of building a top side in the immediate future.

The money seems to suggest the PL is where the future lies, i can only see a prolonged period of dominance for the English sides now.

ReddBalls

There won’t be explicit language but there will be language that could be interpreted as such and it won’t be about specific (named) teams, it will be stating that teams which achieve certain objectives are not representing their competitions.

So rather than thinking of it as asking why “Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus aren’t present” they will be asking why LaLiga positions 2 and 3 and Serie A positions 4 are absent from the competition
What is your source for this?

If the question you're posting at the end for some reason ever would be put forward, the answer would probably be: "As you are aware of, these teams tried to set up a competing competition, which is against the rules because it would devaluate the competition you guys are paying hundreds of millions to broadcast".

SaboTaj

The same broadcasters who were against the idea of the Super League? They ought to be prudent enough to realise that a UCL without these 3 clubs is more beneficial to them than a breakaway league leading to a devalued UCL.

Devil81

Barca and Real really are going to struggle over the next decade or so. Money troubles, aging squads and now a potential ban/financial hit. If i was a player i would seriously be evaluating whether either side would be capable of building a top side in the immediate future.

The money seems to suggest the PL is where the future lies, i can only see a prolonged period of dominance for the English sides now.
I agree, the sad thing is it's likely City that will benefit most from this.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What is your source for this?

If the question you're posting at the end for some reason ever would be put forward, the answer would probably be: "As you are aware of, these teams tried to set up a competing competition, which is against the rules because it would devaluate the competition you guys are paying hundreds of millions to broadcast".
Source? It’s just logic, something that is completely lacking from your next paragraph.

So you’re saying that admitting that trying to set up a rival competition “devalues the completion they are paying hundreds of millions to broadcast” while expelling those who legitimately qualified for the competition doesn’t “devalue the competition they paid hundreds of millions to broadcast”?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The same broadcasters who were against the idea of the Super League? They ought to be prudent enough to realise that a UCL without these 3 clubs is more beneficial to them than a breakaway league leading to a devalued UCL.
Yes, the same broadcasters who want the biggest teams to remain part of the product they pay millions for will want compensating if the biggest teams are not a part of the product they pay millions for.

cyberman

They were pretty sure with City's FFP indiscretion and that did not go as they planned it
But there were legal issues with hacked material, time barred etc. These sides have set up a break away league and still havent backed down. Its like being caught with the murder weapon while standing over the murder victim

ReddBalls

Source? It’s just logic, something that is completely lacking from your next paragraph.

So you’re saying that admitting that trying to set up a rival competition “devalues the completion they are paying hundreds of millions to broadcast” while expelling those who legitimately qualified for the competition doesn’t “devalue the competition they paid hundreds of millions to broadcast”?
Yes, but I should probably chose my words wiser. "Destroy" would be a far more apt verb than "devaluate".

How is your fiction logic? It's pure conjecture based on a premise you've dreamt up yourself and not at all based in reality. The UEFA and the broadcasters are in this together, and there is in no way any clauses in the contracts between them that let's the broadcastes dictate who is eligible for participication in the tournament or even meddle in the rules of the competition. Which is what your logic propose they can do by imposing financial penalties on UEFA if they exclude clubs based on the very rules of the competition. Furthermore, how to you even measure if it is devaluated?

Edit: Besides, the product the broadcasters pay to televise is the competition, not the clubs, as whoevere participates are evolving.

Feel free return with a reply the day the lawsuits are starting mount up. They won't.

Hulksmash

Barcelona and Madrid have 2 Problems they want to defeat. They can't spend crazy anymore

1) The Premier League
2) UEFA

It's their mission to destroy it.

RoyH1

Exactly. It seems to me to be pointless ego move by Ceferin to punish and humilliate does who dared poke at his money pot. It's not like they're less likely to try again just because you ban them. They'll just try even more.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Exactly. It seems to me to be pointless ego move by Ceferin to punish and humilliate does who dared poke at his money pot. It's not like they're less likely to try again just because you ban them. They'll just try even more.
be interesting if they played a round robin against each other and invited teams from South America and see what the audience figures would be

DoomSlayer

How can any Manchester United fan try to find excuses for these 3 twattish clubs? We shouldn't care in the slightest, throw them out so they can learn their lesson, some of their fans need it as well for being so smug and acting like they deserve by divine right to be in a Super League.

The Purley King

If this sticks and Barca/Madrid don't get their £50-60m champions league money, combined with a possible loss in sponsorship money for not being in CL, that will really throw a hand grenade into some already fairly parlous finances.
If they don't back down, surely they must be banned, not sure what they are playing at tbh.

MU655

If this sticks and Barca/Madrid don't get their £50-60m champions league money, combined with a possible loss in sponsorship money for not being in CL, that will really throw a hand grenade into some already fairly parlous finances.
If they don't back down, surely they must be banned, not sure what they are playing at tbh.
Barcelona also have the issue of losing Messi. I doubt he would stay with no Champions League. And with Messi bringing in so much money through sponsorships etc., it will have a massive impact on their operations.

I think this could be the end of Barcelona as a top club if it goes through.

They have some promising players, but it is looking more likely that they are going to have to sell one/some to raise funds.