UEFA have lifted Sat 3pm TV blackout

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
if you dont go and actually watch live football then clearly you are not going to understand, where ever you live. Wherever you live, I couldn’t care less. The rule is there to protect our lower league clubs, and it works - most fans of lower league clubs also follow a top tier team as well.

we have far too much football on the TV as it is.

if you really want to watch football on Your TV at 3pm GMT then you can - no matter where you line. Besides if you don’t reside in the UK, then this restriction doesn’t apply so, how does it affect you? and why the hell would you even care?
So you can't have an opinion about something that doesn't impact you directly now, that's interesting...

I do watch live football, a first division team and my local team. If Liverpool plays, I stay home whether it's on TV or not. Otherwise, I don't. It's just an outdated rule and abandoning it would have little to no impact.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's an ancient, outdated rule. If I wanna watch a 3pm kickoff instead of my local team, I simply will in these times, just as others have pointed out. Attendances in lower leagues in other countries where no such rule is in place also proves the point. If people want to stay at home to watch a 3pm kickoff, they just will. If they wanna watch their local team, they will. There's so many options available these days that a "TV blackout" doesn't make sense anymore.

Now you'll probably get back at me with the argument that I don't live in the UK and don't understand how different the football tier structure is over there, but it's really not. Abandoning this ancient rule wouldn't make much of a change, simple as.
If you don't live in the Uk, surely you can already watch 3pm sats? (Or whatever the time is where you are?)

GazTheLegend

You know the answer surely?

it’s a good rule. What I’ve seen over the past few weeks is a complete disregard for the lower leagues in English football. Perhaps a lot of this comes from overseas fans who only see the PL. but we need to protect our leagues, they are the lifeblood of football. We can all do without watching more PL football at 3pm on a Saturday.
Yeah agree here.

I find the cosmopolitan nature of football forums sometimes goes against what you'd actually hear in Manchester. People arguing it wouldn't hurt attendances are in denial. Yeah it might be fine elsewhere but English football in the lower leagues absolutely thrives at the minute why would you jeopardise that.

England:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2019-2020/1/

(the well run with brilliant fans) Germany:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/3-liga-2019-2020/1/

Spain:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/esp-segunda-b-grupo-2-2018-2019/1/

Although this is maybe more an argument agains B teams in general, Englands attendances in the lower leagues are fantastic (as are the Germans) but this goes down to the conference. I've been to watch Aldershot, Stafford Rangers, York, Shrewsbury and there is DEFINITELY a section of fans that simply wouldn't show up as Liverpool or whoever are their second teams.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
if you dont go and actually watch live football then clearly you are not going to understand, where ever you live. Wherever you live, I couldn’t care less. The rule is there to protect our lower league clubs, and it works - most fans of lower league clubs also follow a top tier team as well.

we have far too much football on the TV as it is.

if you really want to watch football on Your TV at 3pm GMT then you can - no matter where you line. Besides if you don’t reside in the UK, then this restriction doesn’t apply so, how does it affect you? and why the hell would you even care?
There is no proof it works. Most fans of lower league clubs will also prefer to watch live football than on tv because the whole point is they want to attend live football. I haven't met a single person while attending matches that would start skipping matches because they can watch 3pm Premier League matches. There is no basis for it making any tangible difference.

Too much football on TV. What the feck does that even mean?

PL clubs and the overarching organisation don’t give two shits about any form of football outside the PL. Would be great if they shared the wealth, it they don’t and they won’t.
The average League Two club brings in 4m in revenue, 12.5% of which comes directly from payments from the Premier League. The lower leagues are a financial disaster which are already propped up and kept alive by the top of the game. The English game is also the only country in the world who provide these payments to prop up lower league clubs.

So you can't have an opinion about something that doesn't impact you directly now, that's interesting...

I do watch live football, a first division team and my local team. If Liverpool plays, I stay home whether it's on TV or not. Otherwise, I don't. It's just an outdated rule and abandoning it would have little to no impact.
I didn’t say you can’t have an opinion did I. Don’t be so juvenile. I just struggle to understand why you are bothered about something that has no effect on how you consume football because clearly you can watch games at 3pm GMT on a Saturday.

I go and watch local matches, and go and watch Wimbledon - I don’t support them, but they are my local team and I now live in London. Simply put if Utd were on the TV at the same time I wouldn’t go and watch Wimbledon.

There is no proof it works. Most fans of lower league clubs will also prefer to watch live football than on tv because the whole point is they want to attend live football. I haven't met a single person while attending matches that would start skipping matches because they can watch 3pm Premier League matches. There is no basis for it making any tangible difference.

The average League Two club brings in 4m in revenue, 12.5% of which comes directly from payments from the Premier League. The lower leagues are a financial disaster which are already propped up and kept alive by the top of the game. The English game is also the only country in the world who provide these payments to prop up lower league clubs.
it’s ridiculous to talk about proof when there no proof that is doesn’t work. We can both smash out anecdotal evidence based on our own personal experiences.

as for too much football on TV - isint that obvious, you can watch football every day of the week and at midday and 5:15 on a Saturday. We can all survive a 3 hour window without it.

Brightonian

Everyone acting as if this is a permanent change... it's presumably just for the duration of the coronavirus crisis. As soon as it is deemed safe for games to be played in front of full capacity crowds again, I imagine the blackout will be reintroduced.

Personally I support it (both the temporary removal and the presumed reintroduction). It's not just about the financial impact on the lower leagues, of course, but also the existential impact - football matches exist to be watched by crowds, as well as being funded by those crowds. Match-going fans are football's lifeblood for more than just their ticket fee.

I do think all matches should be made available to watch in full later that evening or the next day, though, on whatever channel/service the subscriber is paying to watch other matches during the week. At that point, there is no potential clash with attending a local match. I haven't owned a TV for years now so I don't know if that's already the case, apologies if it is!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If you don't live in the Uk, surely you can already watch 3pm sats? (Or whatever the time is where you are?)
Yes, I can. But even if I couldn't, and say Liverpool were on at 3pm and my local team played at the same time, I'd simply stream it. There's no difference anymore... People have acccess to whichever game they want to these days, one way or another, and it's their choice to stay at home or not.

I didn’t say you can’t have an opinion did I. Don’t be so juvenile. I just struggle to understand why you are bothered about something that has no effect on how you consume football because clearly you can watch games at 3pm GMT on a Saturday.

I go and watch local matches, and go and watch Wimbledon - I don’t support them, but they are my local team and I now live in London. Simply put if Utd were on the TV at the same time I wouldn’t go and watch Wimbledon.
But Utd are on the internet at the same time right now all the time? One Google search and you have a HD stream on your TV in half a minute, what's the difference?

Didn't mean to come across as juvenile by the way, apologies if it sounded that way!

But Utd are on the internet at the same time right now all the time? One Google search and you have a HD stream on your TV in half a minute, what's the difference?
It’s never the same quality, and is a phaff and I’m certainly not going to watch a stream with non English commentary. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong places :houllier:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Doubt it, nothing beats going to a Saturday afternoon game.
People do say things like "feck it I'll stay at home it's on the tele" hungover on a wet Saturday lunch time though. Figures won't be an issue for teams like United, Liverpool as can always find buyers, but I can see numbers taking a hit elsewhere in the league. That's why the broadcast ban existed, but obviously there's too much money involved for it to continue.

ajay1002

I understand the Saturday 3pm blackout rule, but what I don't get is why the Premier League doesn't just play all of their games on a Sunday?

GodlovesUnited

None of us know how the lower league teams would be affected by lifting the blackout. However, I think there's more to it than the players' wages and putting money into infrastructure for clubs in the National League or non-league football.

Say they received a 40% increase in their payments from the Premier League, but their attendance fell by 30%. The clubs might be able to pay the players a bit more and invest in their grounds, which seems great. But that dip in supporters would have knock-on effects on vendors at the stadium and the entire match-going experience. And what's the point in investing in a stadium that might be hosting fewer and fewer fans each year?

GodlovesUnited

I understand the Saturday 3pm blackout rule, but what I don't get is why the Premier League doesn't just play all of their games on a Sunday?
If they can spread the games out across more days, they can air more of them at different times, which means more money from broadcasters.

ajay1002

If they can spread the games out across more days, they can air more of them at different times, which means more money from broadcasters.
OK, but they could still avoid 3pm Saturday and spread the games out. For example, PL kick-off times could be 12:30pm, 5:30pm and 8:00pm Saturday; 12:30pm, 3:00pm, 5:30pm and 8:00pm Sunday; and 8:00pm on Monday. That's 8 different kick-off times for only 10 matches per week, meaning nearly all could be shown without viewers having to choose between matches, it protects the Saturday 3pm slot for clubs lower down the pyramid who need fans at the stadium and allows all PL matches to be shown on TV in the UK.

GodlovesUnited

OK, but they could still avoid 3pm Saturday and spread the games out. For example, PL kick-off times could be 12:30pm, 5:30pm and 8:00pm Saturday; 12:30pm, 3:00pm, 5:30pm and 8:00pm Sunday; and 8:00pm on Monday. That's 8 different kick-off times for only 10 matches per week, meaning nearly all could be shown without viewers having to choose between matches, it protects the Saturday 3pm slot for clubs lower down the pyramid who need fans at the stadium and allows all PL matches to be shown on TV in the UK.
Well, sure. But you initially asked why the Premier League doesn't play all of its games on Sunday. There's your answer.

Cal?

CR7 fan
There's an issue with the police not liking night games on weekends, so I'm not sure they're ok with Sat/Sun 8pm every week.

vidic blood & sand

MUTV should be licensed to play all games live at all times. No more pointless subscriptions to Sky & BT.