UEFA meeting Tue 17th March

Sad Chris

I agree with this but something is worth noting, China tells the world what they want us to read/hear and nothing more. I lived there for a bit, I know they do. Here's an example - when it first broke in Wuhan I was telling my mates "this is way worse than Wuhan, I know it, they're playing it down". The following day, my former work colleagues told me on Facebook (using a VPN of course) that they were quarantined and their city (where I lived) was being locked down like Wuhan - 800km away.

It took a good few days longer before news starting breaking about other cities being affected.
You’re right. I live in China, about 1200km from Wuhan. The government screwed up initially by trying to quietly deal with it. But once they understood how serious it was, they moved quickly and decisively, under enormous pressure of course by the upcoming Chinese New Year Migration and a possible spreading of unimaginable scale.

Despite the flaws of the Chinese government I think many people don’t or maybe will never realize how big their achievement has been containing this virus. Having lived most of my life in the Western World, I struggle to see Europe or the USA being able to deal with a problem of this magnitude as capable as China has managed up to this point.

Sad Chris

What exactly are They going to do?
1. Not sick - Better stay at home than to go out and risk an infection
2. Sick - Better stay at the hospital so you can recover faster

I'd rather stay at home for weeks or months than visiting nice beaches when Pandemic is a thing and the virus could be all around us. Health > Money. No health no freedom.
It’s good that you have it all figured out for yourself and want to choose to do the smart thing. What about the others though? It’s not about visiting beaches, it’s about where you get your groceries. It’s about where you get your masks. Where you get your paycheck for the next 1, 3, 6 months from. How do you know that your local hospital has enough beds have anybody with symptoms over for a fortnight?

You alone can‘t prevent the virus from spreading. What about all the knobheads that are not going to want to stay at home. Who‘s going to force them. Despite the other games being played behind closed doors, Anfield was packed. If people are aware of the danger of a Pandemic surely they‘ll stay home, you‘d like to think. Because as you said: Health > Money
50-odd-thousand seemingly either didn‘t agree or don‘t understand (yet)

I don‘t think it‘s going to be as straightforward as you suggest.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s good that you have it all figured out for yourself and want to choose to do the smart thing. What about the others though? It’s not about visiting beaches, it’s about where you get your groceries. It’s about where you get your masks. Where you get your paycheck for the next 1, 3, 6 months from. How do you know that your local hospital has enough beds have anybody with symptoms over for a fortnight?

You alone can‘t prevent the virus from spreading. What about all the knobheads that are not going to want to stay at home. Who‘s going to force them. Despite the other games being played behind closed doors, Anfield was packed. If people are aware of the danger of a Pandemic surely they‘ll stay home, you‘d like to think. Because as you said: Health > Money
50-odd-thousand seemingly either didn‘t agree or don‘t understand (yet)

I don‘t think it‘s going to be as straightforward as you suggest.
Even the Paris game was ordered to be played behind closed doors. Thousands of PSG fans still decided to celebrate in the streets after the win.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
First of all, noone knows if it will be fine again next season.

But at some point, a large part of the population will have immunity, so there shouldn't be an exponential spread of the virus anymore by then. There might be more antiviral drugs identified by then, there might even be a vaccin at some point. Hospitals will be better equipped to deal with the more severe cases...

The main issue today is to slow down the infection spread. To try to go from an exponential rate to a more linear rate, so our health system can cope with the consequences better.
What do you mean? next season will be much safer. The infected people would have been recovered by then. Viruses don't live forever, experts believe that come summer it will be harder for Corona Virus to survive unless if They mutate. China only need around 3 months to recover 77% of their infected people, with only less than 20 new cases each day. They will soon be free of it. The main focus now is to limit the spread of the virus because not every country is prepared for a pandemic. Also, the more sick people = business struggling = global economy slowing down, not mentioning the number of deaths.
It's not so much the virus itself that's the issue, it's the impact it has on infrastructure that's causing issues.

People getting sick means taking time off work, which means the economy slowly grinds to a halt. No public transport, no care workers, no food industry or retail workers. Hospitals are at 200% capacity right now dealing with people panicking and genuinely having a bad time due to the virus, this means that cancer, stroke and other emergency treatment patients are getting neglected and are dying as a result.

The stopping of events is to protect the most vulnerable people from the virus. It's more likely that a careworker will attend a football match, catch the virus and go to work and completely wipe out an old folks home, than someone who is vulnerable actually being at a huge public event.

What they're trying to do at the moment is slow down the spread in hopes they find something the virus responds to which will protect the most vulnerable amongst us. Once they do that everything will return to normal.

The virus isn't going anywhere and we'll all most likely get it at some point in the next 12 months but there may be something you can take at that point that will reduce the effects of it.
Cheers it was more the reason they believe the spread will slow enough to resume the normal day to day. I suppose the building of immunity from people slowing getting it rather than everyone getting it at once is the best explanation.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Little point to tonight’s games pretty sure the second legs will be cancelled
Glorified friendlies that’s all.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Little point to tonight’s games pretty sure the second legs will be cancelled
Glorified friendlies that’s all.
They’ll be suspended not cancelled.

Looks like they’ll cancel Euros and domestic/European football will leak into the summer.

Sad Chris

And being the sole reason why the virus could become a full outbreak.

In case you don't know the first virus cases were reported by some chinese doctors in early Dec 2019. The chinese communist party decided to silence those doctors, hide and deny the outbreak. By Feb when they realised how serious this is it was already too late.

There were about just around 10 cases by early Dec 2019, only if they didn't hide the outbreak and quarantine those the whole world would not have to suffer like now.
I‘m very aware of what happened, hence my worry about the lack of urgency around the rest of the world. It’s one thing to have an injury inflicted by somebody else, yet it’s still in your best interest not to let it fester and brew.

Sad Chris

Even the Paris game was ordered to be played behind closed doors. Thousands of PSG fans still decided to celebrate in the streets after the win.
Right. I really hope the realisation kicks in on time, but that window is closing fast.

cyberman

Looks like they’ll cancel Euros and domestic/European football will leak into the summer.
Itll tack on to the start of next season. No need for summer break after this one.
Itll be like the horseracing calender

Alabaster Codify7

You’re right. I live in China, about 1200km from Wuhan. The government screwed up initially by trying to quietly deal with it. But once they understood how serious it was, they moved quickly and decisively, under enormous pressure of course by the upcoming Chinese New Year Migration and a possible spreading of unimaginable scale.

Despite the flaws of the Chinese government I think many people don’t or maybe will never realize how big their achievement has been containing this virus. Having lived most of my life in the Western World, I struggle to see Europe or the USA being able to deal with a problem of this magnitude as capable as China has managed up to this point.

You're right, they have locked it down impressively.

Lynty

No chance USA could quarantine a city. It would be a warzone with the political climate, tendency to over react and average number of nutjobs over there. Not that I expect Trump to make any rational decisions during this crisis.

Okey

Yep. This is the most likely outcome I suspect too. The Euros are the more expendable tournament. Especially with this first edition of the new format.

King_Eric

And being the sole reason why the virus could become a full outbreak.

In case you don't know the first virus cases were reported by some chinese doctors in early Dec 2019. The chinese communist party decided to silence those doctors, hide and deny the outbreak. By Feb when they realised how serious this is it was already too late.

There were about just around 10 cases by early Dec 2019, only if they didn't hide the outbreak and quarantine those the whole world would not have to suffer like now.
I have no reason to believe any of our Western governments (let alone our populations) would have dealt with such an early outbreak in a better way. Especially seeing how Western governments are dealing with it now, knowing what we know. The experiences China and other Asian countries had with SARS really helped in dealing with it early.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Do you know how unbelievably racist that sounds.
Well it's either that or the Chinese government tried to kill a sizeable percentage of the global population. I reckon he chose the mildest option.

King_Eric

Cheers it was more the reason they believe the spread will slow enough to resume the normal day to day. I suppose the building of immunity from people slowing getting it rather than everyone getting it at once is the best explanation.
There is also another factor that could play (and virologists are hoping it will), and that's the weather. Many of these corona and flu viruses typically have their season in the winter (in non-tropical regions at least). Several reasons have been hypothesized for this, including the lower temperature and drier air affecting the mucus in our respiratory system and also directly the characteristics of viral particles and their infectivity. Another possible factor is that people are more confined in small spaces with other people in winter.

So while it's not a certainty, there's a good possibility that the viral spread would diminish during spring and summer anyway. Possibly to come back next winter of course. But by then you have part of the population that is immune and a better preparation (hopefully).

This virus could eventually also become a yearly recurring thing, like the flu. Depending on how fast it mutates I assume. Like flu, this one is an RNA virus, which typically mutates faster than DNA viruses, so it could just be a new seasonally recurring virus.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
There is also another factor that could play (and virologists are hoping it will), and that's the weather. Many of these corona and flu viruses typically have their season in the winter (in non-tropical regions at least). Several reasons have been hypothesized for this, including the lower temperature and drier air affecting the mucus in our respiratory system and also directly the characteristics of viral particles and their infectivity. Another possible factor is that people are more confined in small spaces with other people in winter.

So while it's not a certainty, there's a good possibility that the viral spread would diminish during spring and summer anyway. Possibly to come back next winter of course. But by then you have part of the population that is immune and a better preparation (hopefully).

This virus could eventually also become a yearly recurring thing, like the flu. Depending on how fast it mutates I assume. Like flu, this one is an RNA virus, which typically mutates faster than DNA viruses, so it could just be a new seasonally recurring virus.
Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds promising that we can control this well if we can keep it contained moderately until then.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yep I like the sound of that article too. I'd be happy to relinquish our continued status as European champions to have it replaced with title of English champions. :D

Oh but City will still catch us. Oooo. :nervous:
Void the Premier League and play a mini-EL and mini-CL over the Summer. Then start again as normal in August. Sounds fair to me.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Just had this come up as an alert on my phone from Sky News:

The EU is to introduce temporary restrictions on non-essential travel to the EU for 30 days, says the European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51912634
What about the Champions League?
Four last-16 second-leg ties have been postponed this week. Eight Europa League second-leg ties have been postponed, in addition to the two first-leg matches at Sevilla and Inter Milan that were called off last week. One idea being floated is that from the quarter-finals onwards, games could be played on a one-off basis, as a mini tournament in Istanbul and Gdansk, which is due to host the finals of the respective competitions in May. This is likely to be discussed on Tuesday, although whether a final decision is reached is open to question.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51912634
What about the Champions League?
Four last-16 second-leg ties have been postponed this week. Eight Europa League second-leg ties have been postponed, in addition to the two first-leg matches at Sevilla and Inter Milan that were called off last week. One idea being floated is that from the quarter-finals onwards, games could be played on a one-off basis, as a mini tournament in Istanbul and Gdansk, which is due to host the finals of the respective competitions in May. This is likely to be discussed on Tuesday, although whether a final decision is reached is open to question.
That makes the most sense really.

Get the remaining last 16 games completed then have one legged matches at neutral venues from then on.