Uefa president hints at luxury tax and transfer changes to rein in rich clubs

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I don't know enough about the internal politics of UEFA to know if Italian or Spanish FA power was the obstacle in the past, but if so, so what? If it makes things fairer (which it seems like it would) and would be possible to implement (which maybe it wouldn't - hard to judge the will of clubs to actually break away from UEFA/FIFA in retaliation) you can't just keep refusing to take action now because you never took action in the past. Following that principle you would never change anything.
So then we go to a US based draft system.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They draft from colleges, universities and high schools. Their kids play for said organisations and are not attached to a professional outfit. Our kids end up in club academies and are not even allowed to represent their schools. How would that work?

VanGaalyTime

Lentini went for around 13m in 1992. He was unfortunately injured in a car accident and never regained his ability. More to the relevant subject, UEFA needs to go after sugar daddy clubs - they're the ones accelerating the transfer spending gap. Chelsea, City, PSG have forced the traditionally bigger clubs to spend more to keep up. Without these clubs spending their owner's nation's wealth, they'd likely be group stage CL teams at best, arguably where they belong. Sanctioning all wealthy clubs due to the behaviors of the few makes zero sense and will lead to a significant mutiny, causing UEFA irreparable harm.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Except that, even in North America, the football clubs here get most of their young players from academies with the drafts being a supplement.

Ultimately, I'm not sure if this would be well-received, overall. It seems like UEFA are just dropping the idea to see how it will be received, but I doubt that they'd take that route as it will receive lots of negative responses from not just the bigger clubs but all clubs in general depending on how they would use the money.

Billy Blaggs

They draft from colleges, universities and high schools. Their kids play for said organisations and are not attached to a professional outfit. Our kids end up in club academies and are not even allowed to represent their schools. How would that work?
It wouldn't is my point. (Although it could if Europe went that route)
My argument is the double standards. Madrid not to long ago made three world record transfers and not a thing was said about it. Barcelona made another crazy transfer with all kinds of tax issues
Before that Italy was taking the piss with what they were spending.

As soon as the premier league could out spend them. FFP. Came into fruition.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Chelsea's 35 players on loan would be a great thing to start putting an end to. Limits on the number of players you can loan out, how long and how many times would prevent clubs from stockpiling players and encourage players to seek other opportunities.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Squad limits are the way to go. Allow a team a squad of 30 players, four have to be youth, and a max of three can be loaned out. One big problem for "smaller" clubs is the new asset management of clubs like Chelsea. Just buy 10 players at age 19/20 with the goal to loan them out and then either bring them back or turn a profit, while the other clubs have no chance to grow organically, cause their best players are controlled by the big boys.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea's 35 players on loan would be a great thing to start putting an end to. Limits on the number of players you can loan out, how long and how many times would prevent clubs from stockpiling players and encourage players to seek other opportunities.
LOL. Same name, same ideas.

witchtrials

My argument is the double standards. Madrid not to long ago made three world record transfers and not a thing was said about it. Barcelona made another crazy transfer with all kinds of tax issues

What's your point though, ultimately? Seems like you're saying we can never make things fair because some associations have benefited from things being unfair in the past. Surely you just have to say you're drawing a line somewhere and saying you're going to make things fairer from now on.

Don't really see how drafts come into this discussion - UEFA doesn't seem to be suggesting this and I don't see why a taxation system would lead to a draft system. They're different systems, surely. Maybe I'm missing your point.

DizeeGorilla20

In other words, "We need to think about reigning in the English clubs before they become dominant again, what with the risk of there being 5 teams in it next season and at the same time, let's give ourselves more money for organising the Champions League and Europa League fixtures"

How would they even enforce a limit on "talent hoarding." What is "talent hoarding" anyway? Big teams don't have a responsibility to share talented players with other teams in the league. These players are all adults (for the most part) with massive support circles in the form of agents, family, friends, entourages, mentors and whatever else.

The fact that a young, talented player decides to join Chelsea for big money, knowing full well that John Terry was the last youth player to make it, then only goes on to be loaned out to Abramovich's vast network of cr̶o̶n̶i̶e̶s̶ associate clubs, before being sold on at age 23 without ever making a senior appearance is down purely to that players naivete/greed/foolishness.

Where do Uefa step into all of this so long as the players are receiving the wages they were promised?

DomesticTadpole

I definitely agree about the double standards.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Billy Blaggs

What's your point though, ultimately? Seems like you're saying we can never make things fair because some associations have benefited from things being unfair in the past. Surely you just have to say you're drawing a line somewhere and saying you're going to make things fairer from now on.

Don't really see how drafts come into this discussion - UEFA doesn't seem to be suggesting this and I don't see why a taxation system would lead to a draft system. They're different systems, surely. Maybe I'm missing your point.
My point is the point I made. It's only become an issue since the premier league can out spend it's counterparts.
Fair is fair. You win you make money. Then you get to spend.

DizeeGorilla20

I would like to see a max wage cap and transfer fee cap etc., they already earn enough as it is, and it would give less incentives to 'move solely for money'. Some money might even go towards affordable ticket prices.
If that was the case, I would be all for it but unfortunately it's not.

My opinion over the last few years has been, I would rather see £60 million being wasted on a flop like Di Maria than see a owner declare a £60 million dividend.

cyberman

Spot on, I called this years ago. As soon as the major European countries started feeling the pinch of the financial might of English football then they would do all they can to keep the status quo.
Money money money, apart from England where is this money they speak of?
They brought in FFP to hamper us yet the rising tv deals killed that when we could show legitimate income, that was suddenly benched and now it's a luxury tax...

Billy Blaggs

Spot on, I called this years ago. As soon as the major European countries started feeling the pinch of the financial might of English football then they would do all they can to keep the status quo.
They brought in FFP to hamper us yet the rising tv deals killed that when we could show legitimate income, that was suddenly benched and now it's a luxury tax...
Right.
And now they see themselves falling behind and have to do something about it.
FFP didn't pan out because PSG got around it so they made it sound different.

DomesticTadpole

Luxury tax would be fine if you could guarantee it being spent on the team. In baseball the big spenders want to put the best product on the field for their fans. So then they get punished and have to pay luxury tax, the teams who are on the receiving end still put bad sides out and the money never goes near strengthening a side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I agree that UEFA is in a strategic position from which it would struggle to pull this off, but don't understand the "rightfully so". Aside from the reality of the big clubs' power to block this, can't see what's wrong with the idea.
Because football club earns money and pays taxes to the government like any other organization, why should they pay those taxes twice? And who will receive those money? UEFA themselves? I doubt that they would be spent on small clubs

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Oh no, now their little babies Real Madrid and Barcelona are no longer the richest clubs, oh diddums, put the dummies back in UEFA and accept your favourite clubs won't always be top dogs.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It it depends whether you think that sports are to some extent about teams competing on an even playing field, or if you get more enjoyment from tracking the fortunes of the playing arms of leading competitors in the global sports market. Each to their own.

Don't see how this bit is an objection - presumably these kinds of details could be agreed and specified in the policy.
The first point is simply related to something akin to progressive tax that I'm very much against really. There are other ways or regulations that can be introduced such as % of transfer fees going to the home-growing clubs, those that lay at the very bottom yet are the most important for the development. Those clauses are sometimes included in the deals but not always, you could always make them mandatory et voila, the minnows of the football world would indeed get the cash for further development but it would be a cash earned, not gifted.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How do you define rich club?

Big revenue = bigger turnover
Small revenue but big profit?

Do they set a nominal criteria? Based on what? Milan is a skint poor club nowdays compared to us, but compared to the iceland football club they're a damn rich club.

How do you define one as rich?

cyberman

Luxury tax would be fine if you could guarantee it being spent on the team. In baseball the big spenders want to put the best product on the field for their fans. So then they get punished and have to pay luxury tax, the teams who are on the receiving end still put bad sides out and the money never goes near strengthening a side.
But English football as a whole has never been in a better financial state, the league with the most money has one of the most competitive leagues in world football. He's basically telling us that he wants English football to fund football in other countries so UEFA doesn't have to.
We received 5b on our last tv deal. Premier League clubs signed over 1b of that for lower league clubs and charities.
We've already taxed ourselves.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I made the point about making sure it is spent on the clubs, because otherwise it would be a good way to make some cash for yourself, if you could afford to buy some club in a small league, get your half a million dollar check from the big leagues, pocket it for yourself. Win.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
Italian clubs will not have that....they loan out just as many and in some cases a lot more.

Not sure how sending players on loan affects tax proposals on super rich clubs though?

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
But English football as a whole has never been in a better financial state, the league with the most money has one of the most competitive leagues in world football. He's basically telling us that he wants English football to fund football in other countries so UEFA doesn't have to.
We received 5b on our last tv deal. Premier League clubs signed over 1b of that for lower league clubs and charities.
He didn´t said nothing about England, Real, Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico or PSG probably do not want to hear this, besides for all the money the EPL has they are not dominating the Champions League until now.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Us financially putting RM in check mate when it came to Pogba probably was the last straw. Can't have the two favourite teacher pets in Spain not being the financially dominant ones anymore.

Didn't they come out and whine about the financial disparity between the PL and the other leagues as well? Not sure who it was, might have been Perez.

Word of advice: if you want people to watch your league then start out by sharing the tv money fairly.

cyberman

He didn´t said nothing about England, Real, Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico or PSG probably do not want to hear this, besides for all the money the EPL has they are not dominating the Champions League until now.
Who there spends money though? Juve only because of Pogba but they and Bayern are famous for building squads on the cheap. Even PSG are mild to what was expected.
When people mention money, when they mention high transfer fees its always with England in mind. Those sides minus PSG were the top dogs 10/15 years ago and nothing radical was proposed. All of this has become a thing since English clubs financials blew up. The timeline is there to follow.

Philadelphian

I don't know enough about the internal politics of UEFA to know if Italian or Spanish FA power was the obstacle in the past, but if so, so what? If it makes things fairer (which it seems like it would) and would be possible to implement (which maybe it wouldn't - hard to judge the will of clubs to actually break away from UEFA/FIFA in retaliation) you can't just keep refusing to take action now because you never took action in the past. Following that principle you would never change anything.
Sports can be viewed through many different lenses. You are looking through the competitive lens, trying to achieve parity much like American leagues. This of course ignores the fact that in the bigger picture, sports is an industry, and the industry of football employs more people and pays its labor much better than the American leagues could claim. While the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB can say, "look at all the different teams that win here" UEFA can look across all of its leagues and say, "look at how well our professionals in the second, third and fourth divisions are paid." There is no second division NFL, lower league baseball players earn what kids can earn selling ice cream in the summer, and second division basketball earns similar to what League 2 footballers earn.

UEFA should tread lightly and consider the overall health of the sport before regulating its growth any further. There will always be a market reaction to any new regulation, and that reaction looks quite obviously to be a move by the biggest clubs to break off into a Super League, crushing all of the strength that football derives from its lower leagues.

Reactions: jojojo

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Who there spends money though? Juve only because of Pogba but they and Bayern are famous for building squads on the cheap. Even PSG are mild to what was expected.
When people mention money, when they mention high transfer fees its always with England in mind. Those sides minus PSG were the top dogs 10/15 years ago and nothing radical was proposed. All of this has become a thing since English clubs financials blew up. The timeline is there to follow.
And do you believe those clubs want to be taxed?

Don´t believe that anti English conspiracy, only if English clubs start winning massively again, those clubs mentioned if anything I suspect some of them even want to sell some of their players to England because they pay more, it is good to have more money but on the other side when an English club wants to buy an normal player today they are paying more than those clubs and ultimately who will pay that bill is English fans.

If it was me instead of this tax what I would do was to impose limits on the prize of transfers, and wage caps, football transfers are out of control and this is nothing more than financial speculation, one just needs to look not only to England but China also, this is madness and has nothing to do with quality of football, is just deregulated transfer markets where a few agents and third party ownerships are enriching themselves.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sports can be viewed through many different lenses. You are looking through the competitive lens, trying to achieve parity much like American leagues. This of course ignores the fact that in the bigger picture, sports is an industry, and the industry of football employs more people and pays its labor much better than the American leagues could claim. While the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB can say, "look at all the different teams that win here" UEFA can look across all of its leagues and say, "look at how well our professionals in the second, third and fourth divisions are paid." There is no second division NFL, lower league baseball players earn what kids can earn selling ice cream in the summer, and second division basketball earns similar to what League 2 footballers earn.

UEFA should tread lightly and consider the overall health of the sport before regulating its growth any further. There will always be a market reaction to any new regulation, and that reaction looks quite obviously to be a move by the biggest clubs to break off into a Super League, crushing all of the strength that football derives from its lower leagues.
Great point that people fail to realize.

DomesticTadpole

We are being perceived as the problem, when it is some of the other leagues who don't treat their members fairly.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Failing to regulate that current market has been diminishing that strength for years now. There are happier mediums between the US system and the Euro superclub free-for-all.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Seems Real have seen the prices branded about for Mbappe and they don't like the fact they can't compete, just like with Pogba, so they call their cronies up and whinge!

Where was this talk when Real Madrid were smashing records during their galactico era? It's funny how they haven't said anything regarding the TV deal in Spain when lower Spanish league sides can barely pay their players. Pretty obvious that Spanish football are their darlings.

Philadelphian

Failing to regulate that current market has been diminishing that strength for years now. There are happier mediums between the US system and the Euro superclub free-for-all.
Don't think it's hurting MK Dons and the like to be getting fees like $5M for the players they develop. Not hurting them that the Premier League attracts the most viewers worldwide either, which sends more money down the line. Neymar coming to the PL would mean even more money for clubs like them after the next TV negotiations.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don't think it's hurting MK Dons and the like to be getting fees like $5M for the players they develop. Not hurting them that the Premier League attracts the most viewers worldwide either, which sends more money down the line. Neymar coming to the PL would mean even more money for clubs like them after the next TV negotiations.
Which is all lovely for the English game, but has little benefit for clubs in other leagues.

binary bot
I don't know how more isn't made of financial disparity.

Bayern Munich are on their way to 5 leagues in a row.
Juventus on path for 6 in a row.

Would it really be a surprise if both won 10 leagues on the bounce?

Then you have PSG who have 4 in a row. Monaco come along to breathe some life into the league and their squad will be decimated in the summer. Normal service will resume for PSG.