Uefa set to share control of Champions League with clubs

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I feel that this is the start of “legacy club qualifications”. IE United, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Milan and Juventus will be granted automatic qualification at the qualifying round stage.

Clubs where their appearance nets a significant value additive in the form of revenue to the competition.

Making no mistake that clubs like United and Liverpool floating in and out of the champions league is not helpful to the competition.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh look at me I can use an internet search engine:

https://www.football24.news/uefa-eu...-of-the-uefa-champions-league-with-clubs.html

The key bit:
UEFA is in advanced discussions with the European Club Association, a group representing more than 200 teams, about creating a joint venture that would control all media rights and sponsor competitions such as the UEFA Champions League and the Junior League. The European League, according to people familiar with the negotiations. These competitions are currently run solely by UEFA, which distributes approximately € 3.25 billion in prizes and television offers to participating clubs each year. The UEFA Champions League is the one that generates the most money.

The new paradigm will mean a fundamental change in the way the main competitions are carried out in Europe. The talks are designed, in part, to avoid a GB Morgan-backed $ 6 billion backup plan to launch a dissident European Super League, which is being promoted by some of the leading clubs like Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. According to people briefed on the talks, the ECA wants governance changes alongside a plan to revamp the form of the Champions League starting in 2024 and create more matches between the best teams.
Obligatory Woodward quote:
Ed Woodward, Manchester United chief executive, nodded to the talks last month, saying that with any changes to the format he expected “more involvement of the clubs in the management and control of the competitions.”
Fun description of the Europa League as the CL's Junior League btw. :lol: (It's true I guess, but that description is pretty on the nose. :) )

Last edited:

Withnail

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I always called it the Champions League's ugly sister but maybe that's too harsh.
It's all true of course, it's just funny to see it in writing like this. :)
Aren't they talking about the Youth Competition?
I think the period after 'Junior League' should be a comma. Otherwise, the sentence makes no sense; and anyway, what's this 'Junior League'? Plus the correct name is 'Europa League', not 'European'. Probably written automatically or by some very junior copy-editor. If a proper writer had looked at this, the sentence would likely have ended up more like this: '...such as the UEFA Champions League and its junior league, the Europa League, according to people familiar with the negotiations.'

Anyway, the main point is about the CL.

RUCK4444

What does it actually mean though? I can’t be arsed reading it tbh. :lol:

Is it literally anything substantial?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Oh look at me I can use an internet search engine:

https://www.football24.news/uefa-eu...-of-the-uefa-champions-league-with-clubs.html

The key bit:

Obligatory Woodward quote:

Fun description of the Europa League as the CL's Junior League btw. :lol: (It's true I guess, but that description is pretty on the nose. :) )
The Egyptian Chefs Association said: “We see a deeper association and an alignment of interests [with Uefa] As a way forward
Ah yes. Wait what?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
I bet we don’t get a mention or even thought about in this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Everyone who signed off on this will be dipped, inch by inch, into a vat of boiling sulphur, when I seize power
So after all this time you didn't find cannons?

dinostar77

Who the feck wants more matches? I dont especially in a league format which is just boring.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah yes. Wait what?
That tripped me up as well! I still think this was written through some kind of automated process, which figured it should spell out the meaning of ECA here (European Club Association), and went with whatever it found online.

That, or we will soon see Al Ahly in the CL. :D

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I feel that this is the start of “legacy club qualifications”. IE United, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Milan and Juventus will be granted automatic qualification at the qualifying round stage.

Clubs where their appearance nets a significant value additive in the form of revenue to the competition.

Making no mistake that clubs like United and Liverpool floating in and out of the champions league is not helpful to the competition.
which is a shame and taints the competition