UEFA Youth League 2023/24

Amsterdam Devil

Why the feck did Mainoo play with the u19? I want to see him with our first team. But we will get McTominay again I guess.

stealthy

I was critical previously about calls to rush young lads with potential into what should be aiming to be an elite level UCL team.

whilst Mainoo clearly appears to have first team potential, genuine question is he dominating youth league games and cruising hence the calls for first team, I’ve not watched?

I thought Gore looked class above against Galatasaray but not watched since

Bigsid

Why the feck did Mainoo play with the u19? I want to see him with our first team. But we will get McTominay again I guess.
Given the perilous position ETH finds himself in be some call to promote youth for a while.

goalscholes

Many managers would hesitate to throw youngsters into our toxic first team environment. They might learn the wrong lessons. Better to protect them, especially in the absence of natural leaders.

Mickson

Many managers would hesitate to throw youngsters into our toxic first team environment. They might learn the wrong lessons. Better to protect them, especially in the absence of natural leaders.
Considering we say this every season, I think it's best to close the academy for good.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
No reason to throw the Kobbie in if he's not at full match fitness.

stealthy

Couldn’t find a stream but 1-0 defeat leaves us bottom with 1 game to go. Always felt would be too big a step up for a team of first and second years. Shame they couldn’t sneak through And experience knock out football

Bigsid

Couldn’t find a stream but 1-0 defeat leaves us bottom with 1 game to go. Always felt would be too big a step up for a team of first and second years. Shame they couldn’t sneak through And experience knock out football
The cut off for eligibility is 2005. 9 of the 15 that played for us today were born in 2005 with 6 starting.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
didn't realise we were already out of the competition... but shouldn't be surprised that the whole club is rotting under the vampires

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
f*cking hell - the kids have been watching the first team defend...

saik

but shouldn't be surprised that the whole club is rotting under the vampires
Just because we struggled in Europe it doesn't mean its all bad. The u-18s have been very good this season domestically. I'm sure others can put this into better perspective in regards to difference of the age groups of the opposition teams in Europe but this is a very good bunch of talented players.

Bigsid

Just because we struggled in Europe it doesn't mean its all bad. The u-18s have been very good this season domestically. I'm sure others can put this into better perspective in regards to difference of the age groups of the opposition teams in Europe but this is a very good bunch of talented players.
Given resources at club of our size would expect European competition to provide us with a baseline of where we are at. In u18s NW league can see clearly same clubs dominate most years given financial backing.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
They've done really well. It's a big step up to the European levels at this age but they've certainly impressed domestically and it's nice to see.

Bigsid

They've done really well. It's a big step up to the European levels at this age but they've certainly impressed domestically and it's nice to see.
With regards to age 3 of the players starting will still be eligible next year. 7 of the Munich team will be so they are a younger side than us with the majority born 2006/2007.

Last edited:

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Not too mention they had to play in that tsunami a few weeks ago they win that if passes weren't held up by the small oceans in the area

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Given resources at club of our size would expect European competition to provide us with a baseline of where we are at. In u18s NW league can see clearly same clubs dominate most years given financial backing.
And we’re dominating this year. Which is good, right? I don’t see how being top of a league table that features Liverpool and City gets disregarded because we lost a few cup games in Europe?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
And we’re dominating this year. Which is good, right? I don’t see how being top of a league table that features Liverpool and City gets disregarded because we lost a few cup games in Europe?
Be interesting to see how it develops for me. Nice to be excited about something haha.

stealthy

Looks like U18 will be league champions unless the wheels seriously fall off. City look too far off already maybe the winds of change heading to manchester

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Well, it's good if you're anyone not named Bigsid.

Mickson

Bayern were younger than us on average. Always the same excuse here, just say that United came up short. It's okay. However, we are doing very well (with a different coach and somewhat different players) in the league, I don't think I've ever been impressed by United in the Youth League. We are far behind the best in the world and it shows. IMO, we need to do something about that even though Brexit doesn't help.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bayern were younger than us on average. Always the same excuse here, just say that United came up short. It's okay. However, we are doing very well (with a different coach and somewhat different players) in the league, I don't think I've ever been impressed by United in the Youth League. We are far behind the best in the world and it shows. IMO, we need to do something about that even though Brexit doesn't help.
We were pretty decent for one season when Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Garner were all eligible but that was a good while ago, must be about 5/6 years ago now.

Bigsid

Well, it's good if you're anyone not named Bigsid.
Tbf City have put 8 u18s up in u21s. FfS we should be top in a league with so many Championship sides. A look at the Youth champions league shows you the difference. Our u18s are better than in previous seasons for sure but still wsy behind the top sides.

Hester_manc

We may struggle in Europe with our U19 team, but as some wrote earlier our U18 is doing very well in England. And remember that Copenhagen plays with U19 team in their home country, and not a U18 team.

flameinthesun

didn't realise we were already out of the competition... but shouldn't be surprised that the whole club is rotting under the vampires
Bit of a weird post seeing as the u18s overall have been in a very good place in recent seasons, including this one.

lysglimt

Scout
Tbf City have put 8 u18s up in u21s. FfS we should be top in a league with so many Championship sides. A look at the Youth champions league shows you the difference. Our u18s are better than in previous seasons for sure but still wsy behind the top sides.
The performances in Europe have been really poor - no need to make excuses there. But one of our problems with this seasons teams is that the age-group that should be our core isn't good enough.Our biggest talents are the 16 and 17 year olds, and if we are being honest here - our biggest problem in the U18s is the striker-position. Are Musa and Wheatley good enough ? Well they havent been this season - and today we played both from the start. Would it be better to drop one and play Missin' ? I didn't see the game - but I am sure it wouldn't have weakened us to put it like that. But give Amass, Lacey, the Fletcher-boys and a few others an extra year, and we will look a lot better

Archer

Indeed,look at City's academy,got knocked out from Youth champions league group stage 3 seasons in a row from 2019/2020-2021/2022, must be the worst academy ever to entered this competition.