UEFA Youth League 2023/24

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Love to be back in the UCL but one of the best things about it is participating in the UEFA Youth League.

Young players need more pressurised moments and matches in order to develop and this competition is one of the best in providing that. All academies missed gaining the important international experience due to covid so it's good to see us taking part in multiple tournaments across the globe this summer.

Historically we haven't done particularly well in the UYL with our best achievement being reaching the last 16 in 2017/18, 2018/19 and 2021/22. In 2022 we got knocked out by Dortmund after penalties. Topped the group both in 2018 and 2021 ending the group stage with 15 points. It's good to remember that those came with both teams featuring some top talents in Gomes, Kovář, Laird, Garner, Chong, Greenwood, Williams, Levitt, Ramazani, Mengi etc. (2018/19) and Garnacho, Hannibal, Elanga, Iqbal, Mainoo, Oyedele, Fernández etc. (2021/22)

Our UYL history so far:

2013/14: Group stage
2015/16: Group stage
2017/18: Round of 16
2018/19: Round of 16
2021/22: Round of 16

//

This season the age cut is 1/1/2005. So players born 2005 or later are eligible. Any player who is fielded in three or more UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and/or UEFA Europa Conference League matches (as of the group stages of those competitions) in the course of the 2023/24 season ceases to be eligible to play in the UEFA Youth League.

All clubs are also allowed to add up to five players born on or after 1 January 2004 on the list of 40 players, provided the following criteria are fulfilled:

- The player has been eligible to play for the club concerned without interruption for the two years immediately preceding 19 September 2023, or has been eligible to play for the club concerned for two of the three years immediately preceding 19 September 2023 and registered with a maximum of one other club from the same association for an uninterrupted period of up to one year for the other one.

At least four out of the 40 players must be goalkeepers.

//

So how will our squad look like?

GK: Wooster, Myles, Harrison, Murdock

RB: Ogunneye, Kamason, Lawrence, Nolan
CB: Fredricson, Jackson, Kingdon, Munro, Kukonki(?)
LB: Williams (could play as a LB due to lack of options), Amass, Mantato, Murray**

DM: McAllister, Fitzgerald
CM: Mainoo*, Jack Fletcher, Tyler Fletcher, Moorhouse, Baumann, Devaney, Curley(?)

RW: Lacey, Sharpe, Ennis**
AM: Scanlon, Berry
LW: Missin, Mather**, Ibragimov (if we can sort out the visa issues)

ST: Wheatley, Musa, Biancheri, Kaba

* Eligible, but very unlikely to feature

** In terms of the five overaged players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray included due to the lack of LB options (Amass and Mantato being pretty young). Mather could be one for sure. Oyedele, Gore, Hansen-Aarøen, Forson, Ennis, Jurado, Aljofree & Kambwala are the other options. We've got enough CBs, but quality-wise we could perhaps use Aljofree or Kambwala there. We've got plenty of CMs both in numbers and in quality so the bolded will probably not be playing UYL this season. Don't know what the situation with Ennis is, but if he's fit or about to get fit he's in dire need of games.

Some of those players are probably going to leave permanently, some are going on loan and we might still get a few more academy signings. We've got a lot of versatile players so the positions are naturally fluid.

So that's 37 players I've listed if we exclude Kobbie. We'll most likely fill the squad with the maximum five 2004-born players which takes it close to a list of 40 players.

//

In my opinion the best XI would be something like this:

Harrison

McAllister - Nolan/Fredricson - Munro - Amass

Fitzgerald - J.Fletcher/Curley

Lacey - Moorhouse - Williams

Wheatley
We've got some very talented players in the squad but going further than before would require the key players staying fit and/or some of the younger players (Ibragimov, Kukonki) stepping up and bringing quality to positions we're not that strong in.

Last edited:

stealthy

Can play a number of overage as well I think. Will need them, that very young team would really struggle at that level imo.
Pretty sure 3 or 4 2004 born will be allowed. Man City went out in last 16 or 1/4 I think with a team including Carlos Borges, Shea Charles, Oscar Bobb etc who will all be first team players in PL or championship next year.
Would do no harm to put Gore and Mainoo in squad as leaders, wouldn’t be beneath them.

khoazany

That team above will be hammered in the UEFA Youth League, we need at least 2 of Mainoo/Gore/Oyedele and 2-3 of Kwambala/Jackson/Fredricson/Aljofree/Murray.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That team above will be hammered in the UEFA Youth League, we need at least 2 of Mainoo/Gore/Oyedele and 2-3 of Kwambala/Jackson/Fredricson/Aljofree/Murray.
I don't think Mainoo will be there. Gore/Oyedele might be although I think Gore should be sent out on loan.

top1whoisman

Scout
If Kambwala doesn't leave yeah he'd be a good option to shore up the defense, adding that physical presence we will most likely be lacking.

Last edited:

PS18

Centre-back doesn't look like a strength but I'd be amazed if we played Fitzgerald there. Kambwala-Fredricson or something like that would be ok.

Think the team in general will look a fair bit stronger than that suggested lineup, be that with overage players and/or some of the younger lads making an early impact and grabbing a place (wouldn't be surprised if Amass starts strongly enough that he looks a better LB option than Williams for example).

top1whoisman

Scout
Centre-back doesn't look like a strength but I'd be amazed if we played Fitzgerald there. Kambwala-Fredricson or something like that would be ok.

Think the team in general will look a fair bit stronger than that suggested lineup, be that with overage players and/or some of the younger lads making an early impact and grabbing a place (wouldn't be surprised if Amass starts strongly enough that he looks a better LB option than Williams for example).
Can’t disagree with any of that. In terms of progress in the competition it’s crucial we pick the right overaged players and hope they stay healthy.

top1whoisman

Scout
Group A

Bayern
United
FC København
Galatasaray

An interesting group for sure. Two very good academies, one with great scouting around the world and one giant who sign a lot of hot prospects from European clubs. And Galatasaray, who I have no idea about.

top1whoisman

Scout
Bayern have some big talents in the squad, as expected. Paul Wanner probably the standout, while Mathys Tel fortunately has been promoted to the first team squad permanently. Winger Arijon Ibrahimović (not related) is another interesting name.

FCK have the two Højlund brothers in their ranks. Oscar is very much integrated in the first team squad, but Emil might even feature in the UYL this season. They both make the age cut by four days. Another tricky winger we might face in the group stage is 18-year old Noah Sahsah.

Of course it could very well be the case that just like us the other clubs use mainly U17/U16 players instead of the most promising players born in 2005.

Edit: Wanner will spend the season on loan in the 2.Bundesliga. And Ibrahimović at Frosinone.

Last edited:

khoazany

Gore, Kwambala, Hansen, Oyedele and one of Mather/Forson would be my pick of overage players. So the XI can be potentially:

Harrison

Ogunneye - Kwambala - Jackson/Fredricson - Murray/Nolan

Oyedele - Gore

Forson/Lacey - Hansen - Williams/Mather

Wheatley/Musa

Slightly lack of firepowers on the attacking three but otherwise fine line-up.

Or we might have Collyer as overage player instead and do:

Harrison

Collyer/McAllister - Oyedele - Gore

Hansen/Lacey - Wheatley/Musa - Williams

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gore, Kwambala, Hansen, Oyedele and one of Mather/Forson would be my pick of overage players. So the XI can be potentially:

Harrison

Oyedele - Gore

Forson/Lacey - Hansen - Williams/Mather

Wheatley/Musa

Slightly lack of firepowers on the attacking three but otherwise fine line-up.

Or we might have Collyer as overage player instead and do:

Harrison

Collyer/McAllister - Oyedele - Gore

Hansen/Lacey - Wheatley/Musa - Williams
I believe only 3 of the 5 overage players are allowed to be selected in match day squads.

top1whoisman

Scout
20/9 Bayern (a)
3/10 Galatasaray (h)
24/10 FCK (h)
8/11 FCK (a)
29/11 Galatasaray (a)
12/12 Bayern (h)

Sometimes UYL games can be played a day earlier than the first team CL matches though.

Borninthe80ts

Nice work on the opening post.
We are lucky to have a lot of options in the midfield area and I see this as our strength.
I hope we do go with an experienced spine while rotating over the group phase. Give as many a chance as possible to impress and improve.
Good experience for the young lads.

top1whoisman

Scout
UEFA have on their website moved the games to same dates as our first team matches are being played. That's the norm so I guess these are correct.

Wed 20 Sep 15:00 BST | Bayern (A)
Tue 3 Oct 14:00 BST | Galatasaray (H)
Tue 24 Oct 14:00 BST | FC København (H)
Wed 8 Nov | FC København (A)
Wed 29 Nov | Galatasaray (A)
Tue 12 Dec | Bayern (H)

Thinking of going to the away game at Copenhagen. Just waiting on the confirmed info from the hosts.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
The groups in the Champions League path are identical to those in the senior competition. The group winners will progress directly to the round of 16, with the runners-up going into the play-offs.

The domestic champions path teams compete in two rounds of two-legged knockout ties. The eventual eight second-round winners then progress to the play-offs.

The knockout phase consists of one-off ties starting with the play-offs, where the eight domestic champions path winners will each be at home against one of the eight Champions League path group runners-up.

The eight play-off winners then join the eight Champions League path group winners in the round of 16. The semi-finals and final are, as always, played at a single venue.

My hometown club HJK had a decent draw. Avoided some of the top sides (Dinamo and Midtjylland to name a couple) but Malmö has quite a nice line of production too, there were many easier options in the draw. It'll be a tough task to even get to the next round.

United fixtures

top1whoisman

Scout
Confirmed dates for our UYL fixtures. Home games at Leigh.

Wed 20 Sep 15:00 BST | Bayern 2-0 United
Wed 8 Nov 15:00 GMT | FC København (A)
Wed 29 Nov 09:00 GMT | Galatasaray (A)
Tue 12 Dec 14:00 GMT | Bayern (H)

Last edited:

Mickson

Confirmed dates for our UYL fixtures. Home games at Leigh.

Wed 20 Sep 15:00 BST | Bayern (A)
Wed 8 Nov | FC København (A)
Wed 29 Nov | Galatasaray (A)
Tue 12 Dec | Bayern (H)
No time set for the last three games yet?

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Good group for United.

Bayern Munich was eliminated the last 2 years in the group stage. I watched the games against Barcelona and they disappointed me a bit.
Even very promising players like Kenan Yildiz (18, Juventus) are gone.

Confirmed UYL squad

top1whoisman

Scout
UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE SQUAD

Cameron Byrne-Hughes
Elyh Harrison
William Murdock
Tom Myles
Tom Wooster

Harry Amass
Daniel Armer
Tyler Fredricson
Louis Jackson
Jaydan Kamason
Willy Kambwala
Jack Kingdon
Bendito Mantato
Finley McAllister
Albert Mills
Reece Munro
James Nolan
Habeeb Ogunneye

Zachary Baumann
Ruben Curley
Jacob Devaney
Jayce Fitzgerald
Jack Fletcher
Tyler Fletcher
Daniel Gore
Isak Hansen-Aarøen

Kobbie Mainoo
Jack Moorhouse
Maxi Oyedele
James Scanlon

Gabriele Biancheri
Omari Forson
Amir Ibragimov
Sekou Kaba
Shea Lacey
Ashton Missin
Victor Musa
Malachi Sharpe
Ethan Wheatley
Ethan Williams

Bolded are the over-aged players we’ve included in the squad.

Last edited:

Gungerz

Adam Berry nowhere to be seen. Possibly out with a long-term injury then.

stealthy

I remember watching U16 final at Altrincham and Adam Berry looked our only player with the intelligence and creativity to produce anything, and did in fact score our only goal in a 3-1 defeat, yet he has barely featured for some reason.

KevinJoh

Harrison, Ogunneye, Kambwala, Jackson, Nolan, Hansen, Oyedele, Gore (Fitzgerald), Forson, Williams, Wheatley

I think this is the best team and probably will start tomorrow. Gore won't if he is needed with first team to get on bench.

Gungerz

Harrison, Ogunneye, Kambwala, Jackson, Nolan, Hansen, Oyedele, Gore (Fitzgerald), Forson, Williams, Wheatley

I think this is the best team and probably will start tomorrow. Gore won't if he is needed with first team to get on bench.
You're only allowed 3 overage players in a matchday squad. Also think Amass probably starts at LB.

KevinJoh

You're only allowed 3 overage players in a matchday squad. Also think Amass probably starts at LB.
did not know that. I would not bet on Amass as Nolan is playing U21 football, also Kambwala, Jackson and Ogunneye, so I guess they will stick with them. Probably U21 players with addition of a few that are more with U18. Hansen, Oyedelle are playing U21 so I doubt Fitzgerald and McAllister will get a chance above them for example, also Williams and Weathley upfront.

top1whoisman

Scout
Wouldn't be surprised. McAllister probably at RB too. Will be interesting to see which of the overaged players will play tomorrow, with the first team injury crisis and 12 subs allowed in CL matches.

Pericles

GK:Harrison
RB: Ogunneye
CB: Kambwala, Jackson
LB: Amass
CDM: McAllister
CM: IHA, Moorhouse
LW: Williams
RW: Forson
CF: Wheatley.

Gore will be with the senior team. Kambwala and IHA are certainties in my opinion, so it will be between Forson and Oyedele for 3rd overaged player and I think we have more underage options in CM than at RW.

Pericles

Forson and Gore are with the senior squad so it would be Kambwala, IHA, Oyedele as the overaged players.

Gungerz

Travelling squad for the game:

GK: Harrison, Myles, Byrne-Hughes

DF: Kambwala, Amass, Kamason, Ogunneye, Nolan, Jackson

MF: McAllister, Curley, Oyedele, Scanlon, Fitzgerald

FW: Sharpe, Wheatley, Musa, Williams, Missin, Lacey

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
FT

Galatasaray 1-5 FC København

Emil Højlund scored one after a hattrick last weekend for the FCK U19s.

Noah Sansah is a big talent as well. Five goals in seven UYL matches so far.

top1whoisman

Scout
MUTV subscribers in the UK can watch the game live on the app too. Anyway it's free on UEFA.tv for those who are not able to watch it on MUTV.

top1whoisman

Scout
United XI:

Harrison

Ogunneye
Kambwala
Jackson
Nolan

McAllister
Oyedele (C)

Lacey