UEFA Youth League - Benfica vs United

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Puigmal away with Spain U17 for their Euro qualifiers according to @jb8521.

Have to say I'd like to see Burkart given more chances ahead of Bohui.

lysglimt

Scout
Been watching parts of this game - and from what I have seen, we have been completely outplayed. We are lucky only to be 2-0 down, and we have offered very little going forward. In addition Burkart should have been sent off just minutes after the second goal. How he managed to avoid getting the second yellow...God knows!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
W
Been watching parts of this game - and from what I have seen, we have been completely outplayed. We are lucky only to be 2-0 down, and we have offered very little going forward. In addition Burkart should have been sent off just minutes after the second goal. How he managed to avoid getting the second yellow...God knows!
With Gomez away too, we are little short in creativity

Classical Mechanic

Benfica were runners up last season and even with our best eleven we are inferior to City and Chelsea and that is just in England.

KM

Benfica were runners up last season and even with our best eleven we are inferior to City and Chelsea and that is just in England.
Well it's a good thing that we've came from two goals behind and it's 2-2 now!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Guess we're on the up, so :smirk:

I'm not watching the game but from following it on twitter sounds as though the ref is being a homer, big-style. So I don't know why anyone who is watching the game would be complaining about Burkart not being sent off.

spenzo

Great fight back from the lads! Good result. Need to get something in the return fixture too now though.

Classical Mechanic

Guess we're on the up, so :smirk:

I'm not watching the game but from following it on twitter sounds as though the ref is being a homer, big-style. So I don't know why anyone who is watching the game would be complaining about Burkart not being sent off.
Think Chelsea will win the CL competition again this year. They are completely dominating their league again, played 7, won 7, Scored 23 conceded 3. They look outstanding again.

spenzo

Presumably we’ll have a stronger team in that one, with Gomes back from England duty.
Yep, plus Puigmal should be back in contention although he hasn't been played in this yet. I fancy us to get a result.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Think Chelsea will win the CL competition again this year. They are completely dominating their league again, played 7, won 7, Scored 23 conceded 3. They look outstanding again.
I'm no expert but academy seems to be stronger this year than it has been in ages. Maybe since Pogba last played for them. They might still be a little young to dominate in this competition though. Most of our best players will be eligible for another year or two.

Where we do seem to have a dearth of talent is in the 19-21 age group. Been a while since there's been literally nobody in that age range to get excited about (Tuanzebe and Williams being the only real exceptions)

KM

Class from Bohui

lysglimt

Scout
Well done to United in the last 20 - we were lucky only to be 2-0 down- superb fightback.

But we should be honest enough to admit that we should have been down to 10 men - not that it matters now :)

Classical Mechanic

I'm no expert but academy seems to be stronger this year than it has been in ages. Maybe since Pogba last played for them. They might still be a little young to dominate in this competition though. Most of our best players will be eligible for another year or two.

Where we do seem to have a dearth of talent is in the 19-21 age group. Been a while since there's been literally nobody in that age range to get excited about (Tuanzebe and Williams being the only real exceptions)
I think we are at a similar level to last year but once the new signings bed in and we have Gomes back that might move us up a bit.

jb8521

Well done to United in the last 20 - we were lucky only to be 2-0 down- superb fightback.

But we should be honest enough to admit that we should have been down to 10 men - not that it matters now :)
There was very little in the first booking and the 1 where they tried to get him sent off for a high foot the Benfica lad had his head down below waist height. Considering some of the tackles and professional fouls the ref let Benfica away with it would have been very harsh

jb8521

I'd say we have a lot more strength in depth than we have had in previous years, for example the u18s game at the weekend we won 6-1 without O'Connor, Laird, Chong, Gomes, Traore, Ercolani, Bernard, McGhee and Mellor involved at all and with Puigmal, Galbraith and Ramazani coming on as subs. We're lacking a bit in quality at CB and strength in depth at striker but apart from that we're very strong in both quality and depth.

KM

What you're saying is right and it's even more promising when *supposedly* extremely talented Aliou Traoré who has signed for us hasn't got his international clearance yet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'd say we have a lot more strength in depth than we have had in previous years, for example the u18s game at the weekend we won 6-1 without O'Connor, Laird, Chong, Gomes, Traore, Ercolani, Bernard, McGhee and Mellor involved at all and with Puigmal, Galbraith and Ramazani coming on as subs. We're lacking a bit in quality at CB and strength in depth at striker but apart from that we're very strong in both quality and depth.
Great to hear!

khoazany

CM is the weak spot of this U19s group though. Hamilton is the only decent one. Garner, Puigmal etc a bit young.

jb8521

:lol: how does he get a yellow in the 90th minute, and a second in the 95th minute when he was subbed off on 62?
First was for running onto the pitch to celebrate the equalizer. Presumably the second was for saying something to the ref after the final whistle or something like that

Nick7

First was for running onto the pitch to celebrate the equalizer. Presumably the second was for saying something to the ref after the final whistle or something like that
:lol: that's mental. wonder what he said

Prodigal7

Can we add players to the squad in January? Or is the initial squad submission list unchangeable?
Would like to see Gribbin back in this squad as one of the overage players. I remember last year when he completely destroyed the entire Barca defence :lol:

Sid234

Can we add players to the squad in January? Or is the initial squad submission list unchangeable?
Would like to see Gribbin back in this squad as one of the overage players. I remember last year when he completely destroyed the entire Barca defence :lol:
Isn't Gribbin out with a long term injury? or am I confusing him with someone else