UEFA Youth League | Manchester United vs PSV

khoazany

What's the link between these two sentences? Does Butt have a reputation for creating bad vibes?
The incident two years ago where we are booed by the fans in a 5-a-side tournament for only stay in our own half to kill time.

Plus he didn't have the same reputation as McGuinness or Joyce when it comes to coaching so seems the youngsters didn't trust him that much and I guess it shown today with all the reaction reported.

Yeah I kind of agree with you, I just feel they could have used maybe Warren as a centre half for U21. Rathbone could've done with a game instead of Redmond etc.
That match should have been postponed plain and simple.Warren played on Saturday so must be a stretch to expect him to start on Monday, plus he will be eaten alive by that Northern Ireland international forward if he does.Even if we play him we still need to play one more in the place of CBJ for him to be available today and with every age group played on Saturday and U15s played on Tuesday it's impossible to find one even if we want to give up the U21s match.

Even with the line-up today I think Butt will have some questions to answers regarding how the team seems to have performed on the pitch.Why must we have a specialized manager for the U19s anyway?The other English clubs don't need one if I'm not wrong.

Personally I think we can treat this competition as extra 6 games for the U18 lads and some lads that just step up to the U19s really.We don't have enough depth to cope with the schedule especially with the number of injuries we always seem to have at this club regardless of level and I don't see the benefit of having a big squad either if many of them are just making up the numbers and many of them won't be getting anywhere near enough number of games to develop.That's why we still have the likes of James Weir playing at U21s level because he got little to zero game times on his first year in the U21s and still not enough on his second year.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Absolutely disgraceful tbf, there's also a genuine lack of top class talent in our sides to be fair. Doesnt surprise me one bit that only a few of our academy players get called up for their respective international teams. In this age, you'll have to buy youth, even though it sounds weird.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I admit that the fact that our academy players aren't getting called up is concerning but the fact that we still don't have someone running it in almost six months is a failure of management.

khoazany

Don't think I would concern much with the fact that they aren't getting called up.J.Wilson was ignored at U17s and U18s level.Lingard got 1-2 games at U17s level then ignored until U21s.Rothwell was ignored since U17s until he moved up to U20s, same with Harrop except for that was his maiden call.Rashford,Henderson,CBJ and Mitchell are almost totally ignored after U16s level and everyone know the ridiculous reason why they dropped Gribbin.The club isn't playing many ahead of their age groups compared to other clubs is the main reason (Rashford for example as talented as he is still playing mostly at U18s level how can we expect him to get called up when his competitors are all U21s regulars at their club or already out on loan?)

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Don't think I would concern much with the fact that they aren't getting called up.J.Wilson was ignored at U17s and U18s level.Lingard got 1-2 games at U17s level then ignored until U21s.Rothwell was ignored since U17s until he moved up to U20s, same with Harrop except for that was his maiden call.Rashford,Henderson,CBJ and Mitchell are almost totally ignored after U16s level and everyone know the ridiculous reason why they dropped Gribbin.The club isn't playing many ahead of their age groups compared to other clubs is the main reason (Rashford for example as talented as he is still playing mostly at U18s level how can we expect him to get called up when his competitors are all U21s regulars at their club or already out on loan?)
Thats a fair point and it's all true, but realistically most of the players you name arent exceptional talents. They're really good talents dont get me wrong but they arent stand outs in the national age group, Wilson is a proper talent but is he better than the likes Bamford, Kane, Berahino, Ings to the likes of Solanke, Afobe and Tammy Abraham? Lingard looks a late bloomer but he has had to compete with the likes of AOC, Zaha, Sterling, Redmond, Ince who were all highky rated as well. That Rashford and Gribbin arent much called up is a mystery to me, even if I comoare then to the talent here in Holland for example they're big talents.

khoazany

Thats a fair point and it's all true, but realistically most of the players you name arent exceptional talents. They're really good talents dont get me wrong but they arent stand outs in the national age group, Wilson is a proper talent but is he better than the likes Bamford, Kane, Berahino, Ings to the likes of Solanke, Afobe and Tammy Abraham? Lingard looks a late bloomer but he has had to compete with the likes of AOC, Zaha, Sterling, Redmond, Ince who were all highky rated as well. That Rashford and Gribbin arent much called up is a mystery to me, even if I comoare then to the talent here in Holland for example they're big talents.
It's obvious for me that Wilson is an exceptional talent, he's just a bit raw in some department of the senior game and hampered by injuries.Some of the names you mention are more "proven" (and older) but I don't see what they have that Wilson can't achieve with proper development (except for Kane).I think Solanke is overrated so I will reserve my judgement.However the point is simply if even the likes Wilson or Gribbin are ignored as some points I wouldn't surprise to see some of the others like Lewis Thompson getting dropped after a few caps, with the reason being stated.We are talking about England youth team not national team.Some of them won't even play in the PL in the future so of course Wilson is good enough,they even used to call up Weir or Grimshaw.

I would agree that we should have a few more foreign imports for this group, especially need a left back and striker.Hamilton is a decent talent but have a lot to learn defensively to play left back (he's a CM for me) and we would be totally fecked whenever Rashford's not available (sometimes even with him since only one firepower is not enough).Bit unfortunate to have Poole's clearance taking so long to get through.Comparing the number of talents Arsenal signed for their youth teams last summer to us it's a disgrace (some of them were our targets as well such as Fortune or Joal Virginia).Instead of them we signed some okayish to decent English youngsters who improved the quantity but not better than what we have and obviously didn't make England youth teams either.

All in all I think it's not necessarily a bad thing to go out in this competition if we do.We had a clearer picture of where we're standing,things that needed to be fixed and we can afford to send out more players out on loan with the rest having more game times at U21s level.

Last edited: