UEFA Youth League | Manchester United vs Wolfsburg

Brightonian

And since the equaliser we've been right back on top. Honestly, the individual quality of our players is undeniably better, we just didn't look bothered after the restart.

Brightonian

All United at the moment. Redmond, having looked one of our worst players for most of the match, is now suddenly running the game. Spraying great passes all over the pitch.

Brightonian

Scott on for McTominay, Gribbin off from Kehinde.

Gribbin deserves a talking to after his total disinterest today.

Brightonian

Wolfsburg's Putaro had a similar game to Gribbin: obviously got some quality, but didn't get involved enough.

So in your opinion which players are the ones to keep an eye on?

TBH i only know a bit about Fosu mensah and Cribbin
Some would disagree, but I don't think this batch has as much quality as the last few. Gribbin is ridiculously talented, but there are already loads of worrying signs about his attitude. Fosu-Mensah is a slam-dunk top prospect, one of the best defensive players to come through for a while in my opinion. I prefer him as a CB but the management don't seem to agree, seem to see him as a defensive or even box-to-box midfielder. Rashford is good, hard to predict how far he could go because he's changed so much as a player, gone from a tiny, pacy, flair midfield dribbler to a fast, powerful direct striker. Axel Tuanzebe's a promising CB, got the physical tools and very composed on the ball.

Fosu-Mensah's the only one I'd put money on at the moment.

Sid234

Poor pass from Scott there, could have cost us a goal there. I was just about to praise him and Kehinde for their control on the midfield

Brightonian

Poor pass from Scott there, could have cost us a goal there. I was just about to praise him and Kehinde for their control on the midfield
Kehinde's been decent but Scott's done more wrong than right, that was his third misplaced pass.

Brightonian

United free kick in a dangerous area, you'd have bet on Gribbin to score this but he's rightly off the pitch. Rashford wastes it.

Brightonian

Wastes that too :lol:

Full time. Half-baked performance from us. We looked comfortably better player-for-player, but just never really got going. Never looked in any danger of losing either, to be fair.

Sid234

Ends 1-1. Poor 2nd half from us. very scrappy game

Terrible FK and corner at the end from Rashford.

khoazany

FT:1-1.Always hard to break Wolfsburg down when you pack the midfield with all central midfielders.

Warren has been impressive and comfortably our best defender in the second half.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Only saw the second half but we didn't look much of an attacking threat at all.

Defensively we went to sleep until they equalised which was dissappointing, especially as I see defence as the strength in this group.

Enjoyed watching kehinde in his cameo appearance.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
FT:1-1.Always hard to break Wolfsburg down when you pack the midfield with all central midfielders.

Warren has been impressive and comfortably our best defender in the second half.
I think the problem with that is that we generally don't have the creative options available. There are so few forward / attacking players at the club at that age group. They are all defenders and central midfielders. As far as I can tell there is only Dearnley, Gribbin, Rashford and not a lot else without looking at a lower age group.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Two games and two really poor performances from us, have to say i expected more even though they won 4 points which is good but.....shame that Gomes is to young and Demi is injured, with those two we would look much better. Our squad is pretty unbalanced at this level so when we play poorly offensive wise i can understand it but we are also looking terrible on the other end and that part of the game/team should be our main strength.

bucky

Worth noting that Wolfsburg has one of the best youth setups in Germany these days.

SirFergie

Two games and two really poor performances from us, have to say i expected more even though they won 4 points which is good but.....shame that Gomes is to young and Demi is injured, with those two we would look much better. Our squad is pretty unbalanced at this level so when we play poorly offensive wise i can understand it but we are also looking terrible on the other end and that part of the game/team should be our main strength.
Worth noting this is not a regular group whereas most continental academies have regular U19 squads.

khoazany

I think the problem with that is that we generally don't have the creative options available. There are so few forward / attacking players at the club at that age group. They are all defenders and central midfielders. As far as I can tell there is only Dearnley, Gribbin, Rashford and not a lot else without looking at a lower age group.
Didn't help that Mitchell,Willock,Makela and dare I say Buffonge are all injured.Obviously Willock is another CM but he can do a fine job on the wing.We're really unbalanced with Dearnley the only winger.Kenyon,Boonen and Roberts the options from the bench are all 16.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Worth noting that Wolfsburg has one of the best youth setups in Germany these days.
They used to but have regressed. They had fantastic youth players about 3-4 seasons ago; they won the German youth championship with Maxi Arnold who plays for the 1st team now and Julian Brandt who moved to Leverkusen and was hardly 17 years old at that time.