Uighurs seek genocide charges against Beijing

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Utterly abhorrent what is happening to Uighur's in China. I don't see how this is anything other than genocide.

The Uighur exile groups have focused their complaint on cases in which Uighurs were abducted by Chinese agents from Tajikistan and Cambodia, both ICC members, and spirited back to Xinjiang province in China. There they were reportedly sent to “political re-education” programmes in which torture, starvation, rape and sterilisation are used to strip them of their cultural identity. The allegations are broadly confirmed by the UN, Western governments and human rights groups, who estimate that one million Uighurs are incarcerated.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/uighurs-seek-genocide-charges-against-beijing-cq6hdrjcc

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's disgusting but governments are afraid to do much about it because China has its fingers in so many pies.

This is how I imagined the holocaust was allowed to take place.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's absolutely horrific but I doubt that anyone would be able (or even willing) to get into China's business. It's scary that there is such a power in the world that can't be in any way controlled or even significantly influenced by the outside forces. Hopefully I'm wrong and something can be actually done about it, but I doubt it.

FireballXL5

It's disgusting but governments are afraid to do much about it because China has its fingers in so many pies.

This is how I imagined the holocaust was allowed to take place.
I don't think it's that they're too afraid, more like they couldn't give a feck in the first place.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's absolutely horrific but I doubt that anyone would be able (or even willing) to get into China's business. It's scary that there is such a power in the world that can't be in any way controlled or even significantly influenced by the outside forces. Hopefully I'm wrong and something can be actually done about it, but I doubt it.
This is my worry too. Sadly I just don’t see what can be done other than some international ‘pressure’.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not one iota of sanctions were levied against Myanmar for the genocide of Rohingya. China is an entirely different stratosphere.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Any chance a new state will be created for the Uighurs to migrate to?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Last I heard, Donald was holding up the sanctions because he was making one of his famous ‘deals’.

Last I heard, Donald was holding up the sanctions because he was making one of his famous ‘deals’.
Would that deal involve one of his offspring taking a stake in some Chinese real estate project?

China is by now one of the world's untouchables. It will probably descend into some kind of Cold War scenario in the coming years but nobody will ever hold them to account.

MadMike

The Uighurs are a Muslim Turkic tribe. There's plenty of countries with Turkic tribe and Muslim majorities. Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Would that deal involve one of his offspring taking a stake in some Chinese real estate project?

China is by now one of the world's untouchables. It will probably descend into some kind of Cold War scenario in the coming years but nobody will ever hold them to account.
A trade deal, but yeah we’re not exactly trying to avoid another Cold War when we are surrounding them with new missile installations.

I am linking the old thread on this subject as it had some interesting news links:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/detention-camps-targeting-uighars-in-western-china.440788/

Tibs

Its a horrific situation.

feck the Chinese Govt, and all those supporting this attack

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Arabs don't give a flying feck about non-arab muslims. The only non-arab muslim country that can actually help them is pakistan and they're actively deporting captured uighurs to china because china happens to be an ally. So in all probability the uighurs are screwed.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not one iota of sanctions were levied against Myanmar for the genocide of Rohingya. China is an entirely different stratosphere.
This seems to cover it, which is a scary situation.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This seems to cover it, which is a scary situation.
We havn't even been able to stop a country like North Korea from comitting genocide, enslaving and terrorizing their own citizens.

MadMike

Arabs don't give a flying feck about non-arab muslims. The only non-arab muslim country that can actually help them is pakistan and they're actively deporting captured uighurs to china because china happens to be an ally. So in all probability the uighurs are screwed.
Why though? Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan also share a border with China and are also closer in a tribal/ethnic sense to the Uighurs than the Desi people of Pakistan. If anyone should care more to offer these people safe haven, it's surely them?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
We havn't even been able to stop a country like North Korea from comitting genocide, enslaving and terrorizing their own citizens.
Not sure what could have actually stopped any of this except an all-out war, including large-scale loss of life among those meant to be liberated? When I comment on an obvious lack of international interest in inner-state repressions of that kind, it's a critical observation, but not a call for that kind of interest.

I also don't think this "we" exists as an important factor, it's better to understand these things from the angle of national interests in a global arena.

MadMike

It's hard to do so when their regime is offered legitimacy and protection from the behemoth that is China, because of some tenuous Communist ties but mostly for fear of a liberated N.Korea falling under a Western sphere of influence like the South.

As with everything Chinese govt does against minorities, irredentist movements and neighbouring countries... it would take immense global resolve and cooperation to stop them. Such resolve doesn't exist and most countries would be wary of any Western-led effort given how those have panned out in the last 40 years.

I also don't think this "we" exists as an important factor, it's better to understand these things from the angle of national interests in a global arena.
Inclined to agree.

Gehrman

Not sure what could have actually stopped any of this except an all-out war, including large-scale loss of life among those meant to be liberated? When I comment on an obvious lack of international interest in inner-state repressions of that kind, it's a critical observation, but not a call for that kind of interest.

When I meant "we", I simply meant democratic nations with financial and military muscle. I know that one of the reasons we havn't made an intervention is precisely because it would cause a war where everything could go wrong.

Gehrman

Can Turkey help them?
I think the Turks are suffiently fatigued from hosting refugees and migrants. Also being blacklisted by China would go against their economic interests.

MadMike

Can Turkey help them?
How many fronts can Erdogan open? Involvement in Syria and Libya in opposition to Russian interests . In the EU's bad books for wielding Syrian refugees as a political weapon. In confrontation with the US and Trump over weapons acquisitions and Syrian involvement leading to sanctions and an unstable Turkish Lira. Rivalry and tension with Israel-Cyprus-Greece over their proposed Mediterranean gas pipeline.

Now to interfere in Chinese interests too?

It's horrible, but I honestly don't see any hope for them unless they migrate to wherever they can. Even if the one party state collapses at some point 50 years from now, it will be far too late and whatever replaces it might not treat them much better.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
When I meant "we", I simply meant democratic nations with financial and military muscle. I know that one of the reasons we havn't made an intervention is precisely because it would cause a war where everything could go wrong.
I know, but that's the "we" I don't agree with. It's just the power bloc I happen to live in, and I don't identify with it or think it actually works that way.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Uihgurs are fecked because China is too powerful and the west don't give a feck
Palestinians are fecked because Israel has good connections with US and the west don't give a feck
Yemenites are fecked because Saudi Arabia has good connections with US and the EU and the west don't give a feck

And so many other historical examples like belgium and Congo as all colonialism. USA all along the XXth century in the whole world. China with Tibet, Russia with their republics and cold war proxy wars

A combination of powerful and/or don't give a crap (like rohingyas) had always happened and will always happen.

History rinse and repeat

We are privileged and part of the problem

China is a rising superpower and is pressuring gaining territory in India, several islands in the pacific and crippling other countries with external debt (like US in latinamerica in the past). They authoritarian and a clear idea how ideologically they want their country and are stripping Uihgurs from their culture with any means posible as cruel they might be, reeducation, forcing Uighurs woman to marry Han males (as they lack woman for the past 1 child policy) cleaning linages like Australia did with aboriginals in the past

We are a cruel species

Revan

Assumptionman
Can Turkey help them?
How can they? They're far away, and don't have neither political, economical or military way of projecting their power.

In all honestly, Uighurs are screwed. No one can do anything to help them. Unfortunately so.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thought a while whether to answer or not tbh, but the obvious reply for me is:

If this would escalate into the physical extermination of millions of Uighurs, with the rest of the world either unable or unwilling to save them - would you blame them for trying?

izec

They are fecked. Nobody cares about them. And even worse that China is on the other end. They can do whatever they want and nobody will dare to step in, see plenty of examples in the last decade.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
They're not allowed to migrate. There are stories where some have migrated and have been targeted by foreign Chinese agents who harass them. There was a woman who was being stalked and harassed day and night.

And countries tend to send them back to China also.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Uighurs should convert to whatever the chinese want them to convert to. Under threat of life Islamic scriptures allows conversion out of islam. They shouldn't be expected to get exterminated for being muslims if no other muslim country gives a toss about them.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Uighurs should convert to whatever the chinese want them to convert to. Under threat of life Islamic scriptures allows conversion out of islam. They shouldn't be expected to get exterminated for being muslims if no other muslim country gives a toss about them.
They're not Muslim because of reliance on other Muslim majority nations. They're Muslim by choice.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
China is a horrible country, I have no idea why people are still defending them over anything. There are so many bad things coming out of China that it overcomes all the positive ones.

Smores

How can they? They're far away, and don't have neither political, economical or military way of projecting their power.

In all honestly, Uighurs are screwed. No one can do anything to help them. Unfortunately so.
The issue is world powers allowed acts of terrorism to morph into human rights violations in the region over decades and some were committing such acts themselves.

Now that region is key to China's economic future and China tends to steamroll everything and everyone in the interests of prosperity. It's too late to intervene at this stage, the region may benefit but many won't.

There's certainly a worrying trend towards removing the threat of religion across China. I have a muslim friend over there (not Uighur) who in the past has mentioned how things seem to be going backwards again.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What new state though, realistically, who will provide the resources to absorb ~12 million people with a distinct ethnic identity? China has long employed lebensraum-style expansion policies...and wouldn't sanction a mass-migration project or entertain the possibility of ceding even a square inch of valuable land in Xianjing for the creation East Turkestan Republic V2.0 (especially considering that could also have a domino effect in term of galvanizing the Tibetian or Inner Mongolian separatist movements that have plateaued or progressively cooled off). Neighboring Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan would also swiftly reject the idea of a new state to protect their own interests/sovereignty, not least out of fear of devastating retribution from a displeased China. Unfortunately for the Uighurs, they have no genuine allies who can intervene or project any significant form of military/economic influence on the Chinese behemoth, and are going to be pigeon-holed or used as cheap political pawns for the foreseeable future — while having no recourse and bearing the brunt of sinicization.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
They're not Muslim because of reliance on other Muslim majority nations. They're Muslim by choice.
Yes. And they can become non-muslims by choice also. If its death or conversion the option to choose is conversion, even Islam says so provided in your heart you never converted.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Yes. And they can become non-muslims by choice also. If its death or conversion the option to choose is conversion, even Islam says so provided in your heart you never converted.
Uighurs should definitely convert out of Islam if it serves their self interests. They're a turkic muslim culture and there are enough Muslims to carry forward their culture.