UK and ROI Euro 2028 | Official - it's coming home

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59900391

The UK and Republic of Ireland should abandon their 2030 World Cup bid and instead focus on hosting Euro 2028, says Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee chair Julian Knight.

Knight described the 2030 bid as a "giant, expensive vanity project".

He added that England's international reputation means it would likely fail.

The Times reports the five national associations have been advised their 2030 bid would be unsuccessful because of political deal-making at Fifa.

"Everyone knows that the furore over a World Cup bid is a giant, expensive vanity project," Knight told the Press Association.

China, a combined Spain and Portugal bid, plus one from South America, almost certainly involving 1930 hosts Uruguay, are likely candidates for the 2030 tournament.

The UK government has committed £2.8m to a feasibility study into a 2030 World Cup bid and have been reassured that their chances of success have not been harmed after trouble broke out at England's Euro 2020 final against Italy.
So World Cup or The Euros?

Kag

We’re getting absolutely feck all for a very long time.

The cokeheads who stormed the gates at Wembley have put a stop to that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Isn't Wembley hosting another CL final soon? Uefa love corporate side of Wembley so it will always get big events regardless of fan violence.

Think euros makes sense, 2030 should be in Argentina/Uruguay.

Jibbs

Absolutely right… World Cup is a borefest with so many mediocre teams anyways.

Steev

He added that England's international reputation means it would likely fail.
Good point. We should go for the Euros instead because our reputation in Europe is at an all time high (!).

redshaw

Even without the problems at Wembley, the fact that we've had 1996 and the semis/final of the last one held in UK I don't think we'll be considered soon for another Euros. World Cup has been a while but it's very difficult.

Helder-Carvalho

England had alot of Euro 2020 games, including Quarter finals, all Semis and Final, so it doesnt deserve a Euro so soon. Big nations like Spain or Italy are due to host a Euro soon.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
England had alot of Euro 2020 games, including Quarter finals, all Semis and Final, so it doesnt deserve a Euro so soon. Big nations like Spain or Italy are due to host a Euro soon.
In my opinion most of Italy's stadiums are quite old, Juventus have a modern stadium and the San Siro was meant to be rebuilt but I don't know if that's still happening.

Apart from that the other stadiums seem very 20th century.

Spain appears to have more modern stadiums plus the Bernabeu is being rennovated and so will Camp Nou.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

agreed...

Think Denmark, Sweden, Norway Iceland and the faroe isles have looked at a joint bid - think they would be favourites if they did

UEFA seem to like their joint hosts - presumably they make more money

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Lets have something new. Scandinavia.

MUFC OK

Be quite happy for us not to get either. International football has a habit of bringing out the worst in our society; arrogance, no humility, xenophobia, organised chaos. Was embarrassed after that final.

I'll put it politely; I don't give a feck about the Euros. We've had that already. I want to see a World Cup on home soil in my lifetime.

tomaldinho1

Lets have something new. Scandinavia.
I'd like this. They should bring in themed World Cups.

Viking Saga 2030: Scandinavia
Aztecs & Mayans 2034: Central America
Roman Empire 2038: Played all over Europe and north Africa with the final in Rome.

galwayfa

In themselves of venues, rep of Ireland really has one venue to accommodate games, they need go hand and cap to gaa to get another game, madness from fai, money they wasted years ago, its a balls of a situation

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'd like this. They should bring in themed World Cups.

Viking Saga 2030: Scandinavia
Aztecs & Mayans 2034: Central America
Roman Empire 2038: Played all over Europe and north Africa with the final in Rome.
I'd be on board with that. Final has to be in the Colosseum, with lions released into the pitch.

Bosws87

Uefa and Fifa don't care about that whoever shovels the most money will win.

Lets not paint the governing bodies as having any ounce of morals.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Uefa and Fifa don't care about that whoever shovels the most money will win.

Lets not paint the governing bodies as having any ounce of morals.
This. 2034 is blatantly going to China.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
This. 2034 is blatantly going to China.
Yeah, I think that's fairly inevitable.

For 2030, I'd like Morocco or Spain-Portugal. Not a fan of 3+ hosts, despite us benefiting from it in 2026. The South American bid in particular would essentially ruin the qualifying stage for that tournament.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, I think that's fairly inevitable.

For 2030, I'd like Morocco or Spain-Portugal. Not a fan of 3+ hosts, despite us benefiting from it in 2026. The South American bid in particular would essentially ruin the qualifying stage for that tournament.
That is already ruined as from 2026 they'll have 6 from 10 qualify which is just ridiculous.

diarm

Ireland and Scotland could host a deadly Euros.

Dublin
Croke Park - 82k
Aviva - 52k

Edinburgh
Murrayfield - 67k

Glasgow
Celtic Park - 60k
Hamden Park - 52k
Ibrox - 51k

Cork
Pairc Ui Chaoimh - 45k

Limerick
Gaelic Grounds - 44k

Aberdeen
Pittodrie - 21k

Belfast
Casement Park - 35k
Windsor Park - 19k
Ravenhill - 18k

Would be something different as well, rather than going back to Wembley again. I know it's 2 separate countries, but Scotland and Ireland are closer together than parts of France or Germany anyway.

Bertie Wooster

Personally, I prefer the major tournaments - especially the world cup - coming from other countries rather than the UK. As it helps them feel more 'global'.

Already, most of the players are based in the PL or the other top CL clubs / European leagues. If the games are also played in the UK then it just doesn't feel like a major worldwide international tournament to me - just an extension of the PL / CL.

So, to answer the OP, I'm glad the UK bid for the Euros instead and like the World Cup being played abroad - ideally in a different continent to Europe, as that distance really helps create some separation between the international game and the PL / CL.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Surprised at no Anfield or Old Trafford.
It seems like they're going with the most modern

It sucks because two of the most historical stadiums would miss out and they have to play at some of the most sanitised places around

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Just to put this in context… Italy is bidding for Euro 2032 in order to kickstart the stadia revamping/construction with public funds, under the notion of “relevant international event bringing lustre to the country”. Not sure why Old Trafford is not in the list, even as a subsidies/carrot for the prospective new owners.

devil99

I read an article mentioning club withdrew expecting redevelopment or renovations possibly clashing with the dates

Reactions: 711

Dan_F

With half empty stadiums, I hardly think that counts as hosting a tournament. People also mentioning trouble at final, as if the same problems didn’t happen in Paris, meanwhile Italy has its own issues.

The word gets thrown around a bit much on here but this is genuinely embarrassing for us.
Is it also embarrassing for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea? It’s clear that you need some smaller stadiums spread out across the country, better that than half empty bigger stadium, with worse facilities. How could the FA possibly put it forward currently when there has been so many rumours about renovation as well.