UK and ROI Euro 2028 | Official - it's coming home

Oranges038

Including Casement Park is baffling. Not a hope it'll be ready in 2028.
No need to be so negative.

It's only been lying there doing nothing for about 10 years, the company appointed to do the work has gone into administration and the costs have more than doubled.

Just over 4 years to get it ready for a major tournament, of course they will get it done in time.

stevoc

Including Casement Park is baffling. Not a hope it'll be ready in 2028.
Indeed, not only because redevelopment hasn't even started yet and doesn't look like it will any time soon. But also it isn't even a football stadium.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Brutal honesty, Old Trafford a a bit shit despite its size.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I get that but this is like having a tournament in Spain and using Atletico Madrid's ground along with Espanyol's instead of the Nou Camp and the Bernabeau
It's a bit of an odd example, considering the Bernabeu refurbishment is finished and it looks like the most beautiful stadium in the planet. Don't think that reasoning works so well.

padzilla

Hipster
It's a bit of an odd example, considering the Bernabeu refurbishment is finished and it looks like the most beautiful stadium in the planet. Don't think that reasoning works so well.
Well I meant in the sense of two of the most iconic stadiums in the world, associated with the country's two biggest and most successful clubs.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Well I meant in the sense of two of the most iconic stadiums in the world, associated with the country's two biggest and most successful clubs.
Yeah but the example doesn't quite work as the stadiums aren't rivalled by local ones that are more modern - although admittedly, I'm not quite sure about Espanyol's stadium, but having been to both the Bernabeu and the Metropolitano, I don't think it makes much sense.

I understand the underlying idea of your point, but the issue isn't the iconic status or past success of the teams in this case, just how well equipped to welcoming an international tournament they are (I guess).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Sounds like something our owners should be seriously pissed off about. They probably didn't even know there was a European Championship for countries though.
Anfield being omitted is an odd one, when you think of hosting a tournament you want it at the biggest and best stadiums. Etihad's a lovely stadium but it doesn't come close to Old Trafford in terms of capacity or history.
I get that but this is like having a tournament in Spain and using Atletico Madrid's ground along with Espanyol's instead of the Nou Camp and the Bernabeau
Everton's new stadium is apparently more accessible and there'll be various new restaurants etc in the area. A bit like why Spurs' stadium is selected over Arsenal's - its newer, better and more money to be made.

padzilla

Hipster
Yeah but the example doesn't quite work as the stadiums aren't rivalled by local ones that are more modern - although admittedly, I'm not quite sure about Espanyol's stadium, but having been to both the Bernabeu and the Metropolitano, I don't think it makes much sense.

I understand the underlying idea of your point, but the issue isn't the iconic status or past success of the teams in this case, just how well equipped to welcoming an international tournament they are (I guess).
Yeah I totally get what you've saying but I can't see any problems when Old Trafford is able to host over 70,000 in a champions league game being any different than hosting a similar crowd for an international tournament.
I am not convinced shinier new stadiums with significantly less history or capacity will add anything it wouldn't.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Indeed, not only because redevelopment hasn't even started yet and doesn't look like it will any time soon. But also it isn't even a football stadium.
Can't Windsor Park find another 10k seats from somewhere or is that impossible? Northern Ireland if they qualify would certainly prefer to remain playing there and it was spruced up a few years back so maybe could fill in some of the corners?

No need to be so negative.

It's only been lying there doing nothing for about 10 years, the company appointed to do the work has gone into administration and the costs have more than doubled.

Just over 4 years to get it ready for a major tournament, of course they will get it done in time.
With a two year building plan and full planning permission the only thing holding it up was finance via Stormont and the DUP. Now the British and Irish governments have promised to fund it it's going to be built and all the so called greatest fans in the world who would follow Northern Ireland to Spain, Mexico or France are having a fit because they might have to cross the Westlink in Belfast. It's great fun watching all their gurning nonsense today.
Personally I can't wait to see Mbappe v Haaland in Andytown. Bring it on

stevoc

Can't Windsor Park find another 10k seats from somewhere or is that impossible? Northern Ireland if they qualify would certainly prefer to remain playing there and it was spruced up a few years back so maybe could fill in some of the corners?
You would think that would be the obvious solution, use a major football tournament being hosted in the country as an excuse and to fund upgrades to the stadium where the national team of said country plays. Well that would be obvious in a a relatively sane country, but seeing as this is Northern Ireland unsurprisingly it went in a completely differect direction. I suspect someone had leverage and diverted that funding to a Gaelic Football stadium instead.

Welcome to Northern Ireland.

Real Name

Also they included Villa park which is an old stadium and Everton one which isn't even built.

CallyRed

Everton's new stadium is apparently more accessible and there'll be various new restaurants etc in the area. A bit like why Spurs' stadium is selected over Arsenal's - its newer, better and more money to be made.
I'd have thought London Stadium would have been a better option in that regard. Tottenham is the better of the two, but is arguably in a much poorer area compared to Stratford. Much more of a money making opportunity, with Westfield being close by. Better transport links too.

Oranges038

With a two year building plan and full planning permission the only thing holding it up was finance via Stormont and the DUP. Now the British and Irish governments have promised to fund it it's going to be built and all the so called greatest fans in the world who would follow Northern Ireland to Spain, Mexico or France are having a fit because they might have to cross the Westlink in Belfast. It's great fun watching all their gurning nonsense today.
:lol::lol::lol:

That's the attitude, a great bunch of lads.

Eric_the_Red99

Why does Cardiff have such a huge stadium?
It’s Wales’ national stadium, specifically for rugby union. Its predecessor, Cardiff Arms Park, only had a capacity of around 50,000, which made it quite a bit smaller than Twickenham or Murrayfield. Most Six Nations matches there are sell-outs, so clearly there was unmet demand for a bigger stadium in Cardiff.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No matter what anyone says in their attempts to uphold the narrative that United have fallen apart (which is true in terms of the football), OT is the second best stadium behind Wembley in terms of size and better in terms of history. It's laughable it's not on the list. I pray no American Arena loving people reply to me telling me it's not.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
No matter what anyone says in their attempts to uphold the narrative that United have fallen apart (which is true in terms of the football), OT is the second best stadium behind Wembley in terms of size and better in terms of history. It's laughable it's not on the list. I pray no American Arena loving people reply to me telling me it's not.
Football stadiums are primarily picked these days for their hospitality offerings. Why do you think Wembley will have hosted 3 Champions League finals by this time next year?

The Emptyhad probably has one of the best hospitality packages out there and I imagine Everton's new ground will also offer really great hospitality too.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
It’s Wales’ national stadium, specifically for rugby union. Its predecessor, Cardiff Arms Park, only had a capacity of around 50,000, which made it quite a bit smaller than Twickenham or Murrayfield. Most Six Nations matches there are sell-outs, so clearly there was unmet demand for a bigger stadium in Cardiff.
Cheers. I already figured it should have to do with a different sport than footy.

CallyRed

Football stadiums are primarily picked these days for their hospitality offerings. Why do you think Wembley will have hosted 3 Champions League finals by this time next year?

The Emptyhad probably has one of the best hospitality packages out there and I imagine Everton's new ground will also offer really great hospitality too.
Bet the the roof doesn't leak.

MegadrivePerson

Yes! Finally ireland qualified for something.
Not necessarily. Only two of the five hosts qualify automatically.

"Per UEFA's bid regulations, the automatic qualification of the hosts can only be guaranteed for up to two host associations.[2] Therefore, it is unclear which host teams may qualify automatically. One plan being considered is that all five host teams may enter qualifying, with two automatic spots held in reserve for a host which fails to qualify. Should three or more host teams fail to qualify, the spots would be awarded to the best-performing hosts.[25] A qualifying tournament will take place to determine the majority of the competing teams"

Sky Blue Red

That’s not really why it’s taken so long to build though is it .
The GAA have themselves to blame for this. All the planning issues were their own fault and if they had of done this properly it would have been built long ago. Now it’s costing twice as much but the GAA have up to this point refused to put more more money in than they originally where.

Also the fans are not ‘having a fit’ about going across the west link as you say. The NISC has said their position is that it should have been in a football stadium not a GAA stadium because where is the legacy for local football after the tournament.

CallyRed

Not necessarily. Only two of the five hosts qualify automatically.

"Per UEFA's bid regulations, the automatic qualification of the hosts can only be guaranteed for up to two host associations.[2] Therefore, it is unclear which host teams may qualify automatically. One plan being considered is that all five host teams may enter qualifying, with two automatic spots held in reserve for a host which fails to qualify. Should three or more host teams fail to qualify, the spots would be awarded to the best-performing hosts.[25] A qualifying tournament will take place to determine the majority of the competing teams"
Why don't all 5 hosts enter the same qualifying group...