UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm actually quite surprised that my Dad and his mrs haven't voted for the guy that's actually changed his name to Mark Brexit-Smith.
You know something's wrong when that pleasantly surprises you. Also a sorry state of affairs that people will have voted for him. We should probably take their ability to vote away.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm actually quite surprised that my Dad and his mrs haven't voted for the guy that's actually changed his name to Mark Brexit-Smith.
You know something's wrong when that pleasantly surprises you. Also a sorry state of affairs that people will have voted for him. We should probably take their ability to vote away.
Do you parents live in Chorley? I’ve got a mate who lives there who got those leaflets from Mark Brexit Smith :lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
It seems bizarre that Nick Robinson is pushing Boris on his lies more than Corbyn is.

I'm not sure I can watch this either, everything is dire; the two candidates, the format, the questions, the answers, the weird stage set up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Do you parents live in Chorley? I’ve got a mate who lives there who got those leaflets from Mark Brexit Smith :lol:
Both my dad and my mum live in the Borough of Chorley, which covers a pretty large area. I just leave myself registered to vote at my dad's so I got him as a choice too. Thankfully we get no Tory cnuts because we have the speaker as our MP, so the only other option is Green.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's shit or bust, Jez. You've got to call this cnut a liar to his face.
Yep. It’s what I stated yesterday. But he’s already blown his chance. Corbyn had to start on a brutal offensive and exposenBJ but he hasn’t.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm unsure how much Corbyn's NHS attacks are sticking here. For as much as Labour have got a fair point that plenty of Tories would/will/are decimating the NHS when they get the chance, it's an attack-line against the Tories that's so old and so regularly used you get the impression it's perhaps lost some of its power. And I'm not sure the US trade negotiation stuff is really resonating with the public all that much.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Boris getting a few more claps
They shouldn't be allowed an audience. The claps are meaningless because it may be that they get some gung ho clappers in on one side, but that might actually influence people, especially as we know how easily people are influenced.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm unsure how much Corbyn's NHS attacks are sticking here. For as much as Labour have got a fair point that plenty of Tories would/will/are decimating the NHS when they get the chance, it's an attack-line against the Tories that's so old and so regularly used you get the impression it's perhaps lost some of its power. And I'm not sure the US trade negotiation stuff is really resonating with the public all that much.
It really should be, Brexit is the distraction this time round. It's the NHS's future that will be decided upon in this election imo.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The billionaire point that Jeremy keeps mentioning recently is a valid one, but I don't think it lands with anyone. Too many people seem to not care, or very strangely - actively stick up for them

F-Red

He's not been electric but does that matter? It's not X Factor.
It does matter, it's a leadership debate. There's people out there undecided and some will make decisions based on what they're seeing.

On this showing, both of them are useless.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It does matter, it's a leadership debate. There's people out there undecided and some will make decisions based on what they're seeing.

On this showing, both of them are useless.
Useless at debating perhaps, or at least turning into something of a bout, which I'd rather not have. I'd rather they just answered the questions personally.
Those undecided should decide on what they stand for.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It feels a bit autopilot with Corbyn
Indeed. It's very weird. His message is fundamentally correct in many respects but just isn't really coming across in a way that's particularly strong. Maybe his message just feels a bit...obvious? Most people agree that poverty and inequality are, broadly speaking, very bad, but you've got to be able to sell people on the policies you're putting forward to alleviate those measures.

F-Red

Useless at debating perhaps, or at least turning into something of a bout, which I'd rather not have. I'd rather they just answered the questions personally.
Those undecided should decide on what they stand for.
No, they're useless at being leaders. They're both weak.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Indeed. It's very weird. His message is fundamentally correct in many respects but just isn't really coming across in a way that's particularly strong. Maybe his message just feels a bit...obvious? Most people agree that poverty and inequality are, broadly speaking, very bad, but you've got to be able to sell people on the policies you're putting forward to alleviate those measures.
Except that people actively vote against stopping those things by voting Conservative. So while it might be obvious that those things are bad. Most people don’t genuinely give a damn.

EwanI Ted

I disagree with the criticism. As someone who in the next 5 years may well invest a mid 6 figure sum in starting a business it would certainly put me off making that investment in favour of sticking with where I am.

This relief has contributed to several working class entrepreneurs that I know being able to have a solid and secure retirement.

Disincentivising something that is great for the economy, great for job creation, great for innovation and is also something incredibly risky for the individual in my view is stupid.

I'd have no issue increasing the share requirement from 5% to maybe 10-15% which would stamp out many speculators.

/Edit: it's also comparatively inexpensive at around 0.1% of GDP and in my view it more than generates its own revenue through greater investment
Research shows very little evidence of this relief incentivizing activity. Research commissioned by HMRC showed that just 8% of respondents who claimed the relief were influenced by it at the point of investment (page 24).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_data/file/663877/HMRC_Report_456_CGT_ER.pdf

And the OTS found " ... no evidence that Entrepreneurs’ Relief encourages further investment in new business ventures." Page 41.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...99972/OTS_Business_Lifecycle_report_final.pdf

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Except that people actively vote against stopping those things by voting Conservative. So while it might be obvious that those things are bad. Most people don’t genuinely give a damn.
If you believe in Corbyn's agenda or believe in a Corbyn-led government, then you've got to hold some sort of hope that there's a general decency to the public and that they're willing to elect someone who wants to alleviate poverty and reduce inequality. Otherwise there's not really any point.

Broadly speaking, a lot of Corbyn's policies are popular. People want to see the NHS properly maintained and value it. In many cases they're broadly in favour of public spending and like the idea of, say, nationalised broadband. But people liking those policies and actually being sold on someone being able to implement them in a way which will work for the country is another matter. A lot of people just don't seem to buy Corbyn as someone who will improve the country, and at this point his arguments feel like they're presented in a way that's fairly repetitive and unimaginative. I dunno, there just seems to be a lot less enthusiasm to him compared to 2017.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
He's not been electric but does that matter? It's not X Factor.
The problem is, if we want Labour to win they have to play the game and get in first before changing anything.

It's all well and good wishing they'd just answer the questions, then do their job, but that's not how it works.

Does it suck? Yes. But I'd rather a leader who will win and then worry about it, then one who loses and we can all say "oh well at least he kept the highground" whilst the tories are busy fecking everyone harder.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I think I was overly harsh on this debate. It's actually been fairly engaging, and has managed to show the clear differences between the two parties. Definitely better than the others we've had in this campaign, Nick Robinson has been pretty good at asking direct questions.
I've found that throughout this campaign - he just seems to have lacked the energy he had in 2017. Not sure if he's been weighed down by talking about areas he hates - anti-semitism and Brexit.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Why does Corbyn just seem like he's holding back? Even with all the ammunition he has on Johnson's failings and past comments?

You just want to give the guy a shake and tell him to get stuck in.

F-Red

No, that doesn't make them useless as leaders or weak. You want someone good at rousing a crowd. I want someone that looks out for us.
It's not a crowd rousing type event, this broadcast never has been. Trust me, i'm not making my judgement based on tonight, but on the last 2-3 years. There's no politician that looks out for 'us'.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The problem is, if we want Labour to win they have to play the game and get in first before changing anything.

It's all well and good wishing they'd just answer the questions, then do their job, but that's not how it works.

Does it suck? Yes. But I'd rather a leader who will win and then worry about it, then one who loses and we can all say "oh well at least he kept the highground" whilst the tories are busy fecking everyone harder.
I agree that they may need to unfortunately, but I don't agree it makes him a crap candidate for doing the job. People should be able to make their mind up without needing a Hitler level speech though.

Classical Mechanic

It’s called charisma and he’s completely devoid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.