UK Richest Man to buy Nice

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He could do it in London easily with the money for brand recognition. Less competition in Ligue 1 also means less revenues and the team is not competitive enough to challenge in CL. This is counter productive for their investment. They can expected much better ROI elsewhere
I think you are thinking about it solely from a market size/revenue standpoint. In London he's a) competeting with 3 other large clubs and b) there is way more competition for the Champions League (which is linked to brand awareness) and the price would most likely be higher c) I would think the price would be higher for any London club playing in the PL than what PSG were bought for. Also less revenues doesn't mean the team is less competitive since they will be pumping money into the club, however it's nice to know they get a guaranteed 30m+ cushion and a worldwide audience every year.

Yakuza_devils

But you asked why they picked PSG, it's not my fault if the answer isn't in football. I get what you are trying to say but their goal isn't to have a sustainable club, it was to have a popular foothold in Paris, the goal with PSG is to gain sympathy with the locals and exploit Paris real estate and hospitality industry. The last part is the key and where you can try to make comparisons with London in terms of real estate and tourism. PSG and Ligue 1 are by themselves meaningless for QIA.
But surely if their main intention is to get sympathy from the locals to exploit real estate and hospitality they are overdoing it by France standard spending over more than 1 bil in players. This is out of the world spending not only in Ligue 1 standard but the whole of Europe top leagues.

From the reports I read in the Internet, the Sheikh want the CL and will not stop spending until he got the trophy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But surely if their main intention is to get sympathy from the locals to exploit real estate and hospitality they are overdoing it by France standard spending over more than 1 bil in players. This is out of the world spending not only in Ligue 1 standard but the whole of Europe top leagues.

From the reports I read in the Internet, the Sheikh want the CL and will not stop spending until he got the trophy.
Not really, from the moment they own a club they can't let it fail, there is a matter of pride. That's why from the beginning it was a better idea to spend less than 100m when purchasing the club and then spend a billion in the team. Regarding the PL, it was probably best to not be in the same league than Abu Dhabi, they hate each others and would have gone as far as possible to one up each others, which is counter productive when the all thing is supposed to be about business. Now the rumour is that the only expensive club that they were willing to buy was United but after talking to intermediaries, they decided that it wasn't worth it to pay what the Glazers wanted.

Full bodied red

Ask Sarkozy and Platini

Take a look at the world cup in qatar

This !!!!

Either you believe the Conspiracy Theories or you believe in Father Christmas and Fairyland.

I know which one I believe - Psychozy and Platini wanted a French team that would challenge the best in Europe....Let's just say it's a French thing....

Without the Arab's money, that could never, ever have happened, so Scratch-My-Back-And-I'll-Scratch-Yours.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
This is a whole different topic altogether where PSG/Ligue 1 being used by the Sheikh to gain recognition/benefits in their other investment. :rolleyes:

In this case, the Sheikh need to keep pumping his own money into the club indefinitely.

Man City is in EPL ans its more sustainable business model.
Not sure why you think this when a) they face more competition in their league b) are in a smaller market and most importantly c) in their market they have to compete arguably the world largest club.

Full bodied red

Not sure why you think this when a) they face more competition in their league b) are in a smaller market and most importantly c) in their market they have to compete arguably the world largest club.

Citeh, or Abu Dhabi Athletic, take your pick. is only sustainable as long as Mansour bankrolls them.

We, on the other hand, really are a sustainable business model - both for the club and for the Glazer family.

There's a huge difference betwen Athletic and ourselves in terms of sustainability - always has been and for the foreseeable future we always will be.

If, however, we can find a Sugar Daddy, like Chelski, PSG, Athletic, I wouldn't say no.

Yakuza_devils

EPL revenues is about 5 bil pound. Ligue 1 revenues is about 1 bil pound. The EPL is also the fastest growing in term of popularity and revenues. Hence, if the Sheikh spend billions in EPL, naturally their returns will be much higher and future potential growth is also much better. Their spendings are comparable to City and City is the best team by far in EPL now.

Like what JPRouve said maybe the Sheikh main intention was not to generate income from football related businesses.

Yakuza_devils

Not really, from the moment they own a club they can't let it fail, there is a matter of pride. That's why from the beginning it was a better idea to spend less than 100m when purchasing the club and then spend a billion in the team. Regarding the PL, it was probably best to not be in the same league than Abu Dhabi, they hate each others and would have gone as far as possible to one up each others, which is counter productive when the all thing is supposed to be about business. Now the rumour is that the only expensive club that they were willing to buy was United but after talking to intermediaries, they decided that it wasn't worth it to pay what the Glazers wanted.
How I wish Qatar own United to compete with Abu Dhabi City. They will compete and outspent each other. We will be one of the best team in the world in no time. Their spending will be much more than what they had spent now.

RM, Barca, Juv, Bayern, Liv, Chelsea will be struggling to catch up :devil:

Red00012

Why didn’t he come to meet our friends the Glazier family ?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
EPL revenues is about 5 bil pound. Ligue 1 revenues is about 1 bil pound. The EPL is also the fastest growing in term of popularity and revenues. Hence, if the Sheikh spend billions in EPL, naturally their returns will be much higher and future potential growth is also much better. Their spendings are comparable to City and City is the best team by far in EPL now.

Like what JPRouve said maybe the Sheikh main intention was not to generate income from football related businesses.
Hindsight is a great thing to have and your timelines are off. City were ALWAYS at more risk from their rivals than PSG (from 2015-2017 they were no more than 3 points away from 5th). With two consecutive years of not making the CL (and it was very possible for a while) who knows where City would be right now. On the other hand, with City already splashing the cash in the PL and Tottenham showing there were capable of getting a top 4 spot it would have been an even bigger risk for the Qataris to purchase a PL club (7 teams for 4 spots). Not only that but I highly doubt 100m wouldn't get you any London club at that time and I think both City and PSG's owners bought the right respective clubs at the right time. The total revenues of each league are just a small component but you must factor in competition which effects the amount a team has to spend to compete.

EDIT: Poorly written post before. I was drinking a bit :D

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout