Unai Emery

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
DEFENSIVE PRESSING

Here, we have a 4-1-4-1 with Rabiot to protect the defence.

Verratti targets Iniesta.

Once again, Cavani on Busquets

Cavani to follow Busquets
Here, Matuidi on Messi
2 central defenders to monitor Luis Suarez

Gomes had freedom because he is a secondary player.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
As much as he is a good manager let's not forget that Blanc had a much harder job re: Barca, who were at their best vs a PSG side who tended to perform very well but lacked the killer instinct to get the job done. One could successfully argue even Blanc would have contrived to cock yesterday up but I don't think yesterday was a result of a tactical masterclass more Barca didn't give two fecks.

Emery will face bigger tests ahead.

R.E.D.

He`s the new version of Benitez, fantastic on cups, not that good in the league.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As much as he is a good manager let's not forget that Blanc had a much harder job re: Barca, who were at their best vs a PSG side who tended to perform very well but lacked the killer instinct to get the job done. One could successfully argue even Blanc would have contrived to cock yesterday up but I don't think yesterday was a result of a tactical masterclass more Barca didn't give two fecks.

Emery will face bigger tests ahead.
1. Sure, Barcelona was an impossible mission in 2015: unplayable Neymar, many unavailable PSG players... Blanc is mainly blamed for his management and performances against a weak City (1st leg-2nd leg) and Chelsea (1st leg PSG won 3-1 at home and second leg lost 0-2)

2. Result of a better preparation. The PSG players will say that Emery pays attention to the details contrary to Blanc.

"The coach knows this Catalan side well and he deserves praise for this performance," Verratti said after the game

"He has worked on it to perfection. Everything went exactly the way we planned it."
Despite the success he enjoyed during his first two seasons in charge, many observers have remained unconvinced by Luis Enrique's abilities as a coach, claiming that his only tactical plan is to let Messi do what he wants and hope for the best.

That is an exaggeration, of course, but the fact Enrique did not even use all his available substitutions in Paris despite a horrendous collective performance suggests he is desperately lacking a back-up if his Plan A - relying upon the MSN forward line - fails to prosper.
Last season, PSG had no back-up if his plan A - relying upon Zlatan - fails.

Laurent Blanc: great CV, good manager but he isn't a coach who loves tactics. Some (psychopath or passionate?) coaches like Bielsa or Emery are capable to watch 4-5 games a day while Laurent Blanc prefers to play golf :D

R.E.D.

nonsense. his league record is pretty good as well.
Sevilla never finished in top 4 with him, with Sampaoli they are in the title race. With PSG they are 3 points behind the leaders in a league that they should walk easily. I didn`t say he is not good i just said his league record is not that good.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sevilla never finished in top 4 with him, with Sampaoli they are in the title race. With PSG they are 3 points behind the leaders in a league that they should walk easily. I didn`t say he is not good i just said his league record is not that good.
Monaco is fantastic this season with 75 goals in 25 games.

This is his 1st season abroad and the team is improving since end December :)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
1. Sure, Barcelona was an impossible mission in 2015: unplayable Neymar, many unavailable PSG players... Blanc is mainly blamed for his management and performances against a weak City (1st leg-2nd leg) and Chelsea (1st leg PSG won 3-1 at home and second leg lost 0-2)

2. Result of a better preparation. The PSG players will say that Emery pays attention to the details contrary to Blanc.

Last season, PSG had no back-up if his plan A - relying upon Zlatan - fails.

Laurent Blanc: great CV, good manager but he isn't a coach who loves tactics. Some (psychopath or passionate?) coaches like Bielsa or Emery are capable to watch 4-5 games a day while Laurent Blanc prefers to play golf :D
Yeah all that is spot on, I mean the truth is Blanc might have still managed to have contrived to feck up against a below-par Barca but for all his lacksadaisical approach, I always felt his PSG was one of the few teams in world football who could go toe to toe with them and give them a good game. He also had to deal with Zlatan, who in my opinion was more of a hindrance in these big games rather than an asset.

If PSG had a Lewandowski up front all these years, they'd have won a CL by now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why should they walk it easily, there is next to no gap between Monaco's and PSG's rosters?

Womp

idiot
This guy is surely the best Cup manager in the world? Between him and Ancelotti, they both just seem to have a knack for European football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Could he be sacked by PSG if Monaco win the league?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely. He was brought in to change their fortunes in Europe.

prarek

Not his fault Di Maria and Cavanni missed 3 great chances. And the team just played scared.

Could he be sacked by PSG if Monaco win the league?
I can see him getting replaced by Wenger if they don't win the league now. And it looks highly unlikely that Monaco will drop points.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bottled it big time tonight. Should have gone with the same tactic as last game. If they had scored one of the first two goals in the match then Barca would never have dreamt of scoring 6.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
He was always terrible against Barça. Honestly, tonight was a sackable offence

Paxi

It's incredible what happened tonight. Especially when you consider that apart from Neymar's free kick, the quality of football wasn't great. Emery got it badly wrong tonight.

WhoDaGOAT

Frauds like Thiago Silva, who is the most overrated defender of this decade, didn't lead the team tonight.

They badly missed the presence of the old head that is Thiago Motta. He would have organised them better in midfield.

Rabiot learned a harsh Football lesson tonight; he needs to learn from it and take it into the rest of his career.

Verratti wasn't as influential as should have been, but did set up the chance of the match. Wonderful weight of pass.

Cavani performed quite well, to be fair. I think that was a really good save by ter Stegen. Just about got his foot to it.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
His celebration at 3-1 down tonight was a disgrace. Half an hour left to play against some of the best players to ever play the game and he's celebrating.
It reflected the mood though, Barca needed 3 goals and even their play dipped for awhile until Neymar jumpstarted things. It's the Emery I have known tbh, can't blame him - you could virtually feel the wind go out of Barca's sails

I noticed too that PSG's energy in the 10 minutes leading up to the Cavani's goal was superior, momentum is an amazing thing in football

Enigma_87

You know who
I always thought he was going a great job at Sevilla. Winning cups, hovering around top 4, considering the top three are probably the best teams in the world. Then comes Sampaoli and looks like he's doing even better, while Emery is struggling a bit at PSG. Still early days and I expect him to stay and change his fortunes next season - win the title at least.

WhoDaGOAT

I always thought he was going a great job at Sevilla. Winning cups, hovering around top 4, considering the top three are probably the best teams in the world. Then comes Sampaoli and looks like he's doing even better, while Emery is struggling a bit at PSG. Still early days and I expect him to stay and change his fortunes next season - win the title at least.
Atlético were a lot more consistent before this season's blip. That's just unfortunate.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Emery did good in Sevilla. Never clinched a 4th spot, and Sevilla ended up with only 52p in his last season in charge. But, it was compensated with all those Europa League wins; and the way the club did progress under his reign.

Can't be compared to Sampaoli because they took over different type of teams. The state that Sevilla was in when Emery took over is different from what Sampaoli took over.

What Sampaoli has done this year is remarkable, but it does not have to erase the great job Emery did in previous seasons.

I really suffer with Emery tonight; that was a historic bottling job. But Barca are Barca, can't ever rule them out. Unfortunately he knows that too well...

Enigma_87

You know who
Atlético were a lot more consistent before this season's blip. That's just unfortunate.
It was to be expected at some point. Simeone can't possibly do all those miracle jobs every season losing his best players every transfer window.

RooneyLegend

Frauds like Thiago Silva, who is the most overrated defender of this decade, didn't lead the team tonight.

They badly missed the presence of the old head that is Thiago Motta. He would have organised them better in midfield.

Rabiot learned a harsh Football lesson tonight; he needs to learn from it and take it into the rest of his career.

Verratti wasn't as influential as should have been, but did set up the chance of the match. Wonderful weight of pass.

Cavani performed quite well, to be fair. I think that was a really good save by ter Stegen. Just about got his foot to it.
What was Silva supposed to do ? Everyone around him decided to have the worst match of their lives.

WhoDaGOAT

What was Silva supposed to do ? Everyone around him decided to have the worst match of their lives.
Sort out the defence? Kurzawa and Marquinhos needed guidance.

He should have been communicating better with Verratti who also failed to lead the midfield.

RooneyLegend

Sort out the defence? Kurzawa and Marquinhos needed guidance.

He should have been communicating better with Verratti who also failed to lead the midfield.
Sort it out how? They made individual mistakes not structural ones.

Paxi

DEFENSIVE PRESSING

Here, we have a 4-1-4-1 with Rabiot to protect the defence.

Verratti targets Iniesta.

Once again, Cavani on Busquets

Cavani to follow Busquets
Here, Matuidi on Messi
2 central defenders to monitor Luis Suarez

Gomes had freedom because he is a secondary player.
Those diagrams reminded me of this for some reason...

izec

Needs to learn from it. He was nearly crying after the Roberto goal, poor guy, badly let down too