Film Uncut Gems (2019)

2E_MUFC

Was surprised this didn’t have a thread, unless I’m being blind. But anyway, I watched this tonight and thought it was brilliant.

Nice to see Adam Sandler play a different role and thought he was excellent througout. Imo one of his best films, could be his best.

Worth a watch for the absolute babe aswell :devil: Julia Fox her name is. I think this was her first film.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Knowing it’s starring Adam Sandler, and the filmed is named Uncut Gems always makes me chuckle.

Glad to know you like it because I’m thinking about seeing it for myself.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m literally watching it right now. Very good so far.

Tarrou

good interview with the Safdie brothers (watch the movie first)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's been discussed in the movie review thread.

Sandler was mega. Really good film. Anxiety inducing and frustrating but its ability to make you feel something and the way it builds tension is incredible.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm guessing everyone fell in love with Julia when they have the argument on the way to the taxi? Just hazarding a guess.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very good film, better than I expected.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That’s Adam Sandler’s best work (not saying much I guess). The music was interesting, sounded a bit 1980’s at times.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why is he playing John Turturro? I've watched the trailer but didn't know what to make of it. Is it a typical Adam Sandler comedy, just disguised as another type of movie, or is it actually something different worth watching?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why is he playing John Turturro? I've watched the trailer but didn't know what to make of it. Is it a typical Adam Sandler comedy, just disguised as another type of movie, or is it actually something different worth watching?
It's not a comedy. He's sublime in it.

Hoof the ball

It's incredible when you see typecast guys like Sandler come into their own. I felt that way when I saw Matthew Mcconaughey in True Detective after being in goofy Ron coms for years. Why's it taken Sandler this long? He's got some great acting chops.

Sweet Square

It's incredible when you see typecast guys like Sandler come into their own. I felt that way when I saw Matthew Mcconaughey in True Detective after being in goofy Ron coms for years. Why's it taken Sandler this long? He's got some great acting chops.
Mostly money and a easy life, I guess. Apparently the awful comedies Sandler makes and stars in are actually brilliant for the cast and crew, they spend all day drinking on a tropical island and then do a bit of half arsed filming, with the end result being millions of dollars. Why bother changing that ?

Sandler has said in interviews that in the end it was his kids who forced him into taking Uncut Gems(He's known about potential of the film for years now but never bothered to read the script). So people could be sending him a ton of interesting stuff but he's never reading it. Also he has done some serious film stuff but this movie - Funny People and Punch Drunk Love.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I generally can’t stand his movies - is this a sufficient departure that he becomes bearable?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I generally can’t stand his movies - is this a sufficient departure that he becomes bearable?
Very much depends on what you mean by bearable :lol:

I haven't willingly watched an Adam Sandler film in about a decade but this was excellent.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Phenomenal movie. Can’t remember the last time a movie fcuked with me so much. It’s anxiety inducing, they don’t break the tension at agreed and acceptable standards of time. It just ratchets up throughout.

I loved it. Whole cast was great. Sandler was brilliant.

9/10. Will definitely never watch it again.

Heardy

completely different character to his standard Happy Madison character.

agree with others about anxiety - the pace of the dialogue was stressful as hell! You had to feel for Sandlers character.

his girlfriend in it is fit as feck too

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
completely different character to his standard Happy Madison character.

agree with others about anxiety - the pace of the dialogue was stressful as hell! You had to feel for Sandlers character.

his girlfriend in it is fit as feck too
She was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. The film seemed to move at 100mph but didn't really get anywhere. I found the dialogue to be very fast & extremely irritating with far too many 'f**k you's' for it to have any significant impact.

NinjaFletch

She was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. The film seemed to move at 100mph but didn't really get anywhere. I found the dialogue to be very fast & extremely irritating with far too many 'f**k you's' for it to have any significant impact.
I sound like such an old man, I know, but the dialogue all just sounded mumbly to me. I think I probably gave up just as it was about to get good, but I found it a chore to follow for the first 50 odd minutes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The film seemed to move at 100mph but didn't really get anywhere.
I think the whole point is the build of tension. He's a twat but you want him to get a win at least to end the tension for yourself, and as soon as it does BAM he dead.