Under 21 Euros 2019

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Öztunali hits the crossbar. This team is way too much for the Serbian one at the moment.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Surprise surprise. Germany is strong collectively and Serbia is on self implosion mode. Nobody would predict that.

But hey I heard some guys a couple of months ago swearing Germany youth football is decadent, imagine if they were competent...

Sea-Cow

How has Philip Billing been this tournament? I've thought he was decent the few times I've seen him. I thought of him as a Mourinho signing, in that he is tall and athletic, and with a decent touch.

They were relegated too, so he could be a cheap option to upgrade the squad, but not necessarily the starting 11?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
When and where and why was that?
It was a conversation a couple of months ago I had with a guy from Germany who follows youth football. He was predicting a big crisis coming for German football because they weren’t competitive at the under 17’s, 19’s or 20’s.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It was a conversation a couple of months ago I had with a guy from Germany who follows youth football. He was predicting a big crisis coming for German football because they weren’t competitive at the under 17’s, 19’s or 20’s.
Interesting. I don't feel many people here think like that, but then again, not many follow youth football closely. I know I don't.

Inspire

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hmm.

Sane, Havertz, Werner and Brandt could all play for germanys u21:houllier:

Last edited by a moderator:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Interesting. I don't feel many people here think like that, but then again, not many follow youth football closely. I know I don't.
I think he was being influenced by a couple of factors here. First, the fact that recently Bundesliga clubs are bringing more foreign players to their academies, then the fact some Germany under 17’s or 19’s were less dominant at UEFA tournaments.

And last but not least, he probably was panicking after the WC, and the Nations League added with being a Low hater.

And I thought I was a pessimist regarding Santos here. :lol:

Classical Mechanic

It’s lower down where some have voiced concerned. Most of their players out here tonight are 22, 23 so are beyond that. I think Sammer was one who has said something.

They’re after quite a few dual English/German nationals that have come through our system currently.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It’s lower down where some have voiced concerned. Most of their players out here tonight are 22, 23 so are beyond that. I think Sammer was one who has said something.

They’re after quite a few dual English/German nationals that have come through our system currently.
Sammer and I read something last year, think it was Kuntz making some comments regarding that.

I guess they’re just being Germans. Predicting the troubles ahead to improve for the future.

Classical Mechanic

4-0, Dahoud scored

Cue Nmecha coming on for Richter :D
Thing is Lukas isn’t very good. The real prize is Felix his younger brother who is much better. Weirdly he was with Germany but more recently started playing with England mostly. Then Germany just happen to call up the less talented Lukas who has loads of England caps but had been out of favour for a while and behind guys like Bowen and Adams for the 21s.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Their u17s are poor currently in fairness, one of their worst gens for a while but it happens. Germany's strength is at older levels as they integrate players into first team football so much better than basically every other country. Their development post u19s is probably better than anyones. England have the exact opposite issue.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Their u17s are poor currently in fairness, one of their worst gens for a while but it happens. Germany's strength is at older levels as they integrate players into first team football so much better than basically every other country. Their development post u19s is probably better than anyones. England have the exact opposite issue.
And they have top youth coaches added with great managers to develop them on the Bundesliga environment.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
And they have top youth coaches added with great managers to develop them on the Bundesliga environment.
Yup, probably an argument that their coaching/system is actually a lot better than the natural talent level of the kids. No surprise to see English youth and others going there nowadays. I'd definitely be trying to do the same if I was a young player.

Classical Mechanic

The players in this side did alright in the younger age groups, some of these players reached the final of the U17s in 2015 and went out at the group stage in the 19s in but their group was crazy strong and they all ended on 4 points each.

They failed to qualify for both tournaments this year so there is a difference in achievements.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There have been quite a few people who said that the German youth setup needs improving. Zorc did so, too. You also see clubs themselves working on this. Bayern built a new youth campus a few years ago, Schalke are (or at least were) about to make significant investments into their infrastructure and Dortmund aren't entirely happy either with their academy, despite probably being the most successful club at u17 and u19 level in recent years.

I don't really think this has much to do with u21 football though. The top talents (Tah being the exception) aren't bothered with it. It's a competition that's more about the depth of your talent pool and how good your first division clubs are at integrating them into their teams.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
A lot of factors play into it but one thing should be highlighted in this discussion: Coaching.
Kuntz has been a revelation as u12-coach. He excels at putting a cohesive unit on the field that even manages to play good football.
That's imo also a major difference to our younger teams, the U17 and U19 have been handled badly in recent years. From weird player selections to bad tactics and stupid formations, it's often been a mess and we tend to underperform with those teams even if they do have very good quality (which certainly not all recent ones had but still...).

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
@Classical Mechanic Can imagine England line up has got you riled up.

Dowell in at CDM it appears, Foden and AWB both dropped. Imagine Foden must have some sort of knock or something, seems very odd to drop him. Isn't like fatigue will be an issue for him, hasn't had a particularly grueling season.

Classical Mechanic

Dowell in at CDM it appears, Foden and AWB both dropped. Imagine Foden must have some sort of knock or something, seems very odd to drop him. Isn't like fatigue will be an issue for him, hasn't had a particularly grueling season.
Yeah, he's bottled it a bit with AWB but I suspected he'd drop him for Kenny. Kenny is pretty good at this level in fairness and does offer more attacking threat. He's joined Shalke for next season.

Dowell is what it is, we knew it would happen because there aren't any other options. We played Romania last year in a friendly and beat them in a hard fought 2-1 win. They let us have a lot of possession in that game so Dowell is OK in that situation, its when the opposition want to play football he's just lost there.

The team leaks before the first game had Mount starting over Foden but he picked up a knock supposedly and Foden started so who knows. It would be odd if he dropped Foden if he isn't injured but you never know what goes on in the mind of Boothroyd.

Expect a tough game.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

no injury, just dropped to the bench

Ekeke

Maddison's concentration and touch seems off today. Maybe the manager is right about the transfer speculation, but he's not playing his best. Gray has been England's best so far