United’s next manager

Corwin

Poch seems to be the obvious choice but he didn't win any trophies with Tottenham. Ideally we need a young version of Pep/Klopp/Fergie. Tuchel may be?

Kweku Amonoo

Julian Nagelsmann for me. Done wonderful at Hoffenheim and is now doing even better with Leipzig. Tactically astute and plays a beautiful brand of football. Passionate as well.

Reactions: Penna

Revaulx

Does not really matter unless we got a proper structure in place and get rid of that twat Woodward.

May sound weird, but our fitness coaches and physios also needs upgrading. Why the feck do we have so many muscular injuries six games into the season?
Doesn't sound weird at all! Why do we also have so many players struggling to control their weight? And I mean a lot further back than Lukaku.

tomaldinho1

As long as they have a brand of football that's easily identifiable, I'm in
We all have opinions but something I assume we'd all agree on is the top managers out there (Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Allegri, Jardim, Tuchel etc) have a style of play that you can see in their teams, they have certain beliefs they stick to. We need someone like that who can imprint their tactical ideas onto the team so fans can see some kind of evolution, even when things get tough.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How do you know he wasn't?
I don't for certain, but there's been nothing reported about an approach.

I can't for a minute believe that, had he been offered the job, no rumour etc wouldn't have leaked out or even an official statement. I just feel that due to Ole's early success culminating in the win over PSG, the board made a hasty decision ruled by sentiment

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't for certain, but there's been nothing reported about an approach.

I can't for a minute believe that, had he been offered the job, no rumour etc wouldn't have leaked out or even an official statement. I just feel that due to Ole's early success culminating in the win over PSG, the board made a hasty decision ruled by sentiment
I don't think he was offered any job per say, more a would you be interested.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Poch seems to be the obvious choice but he didn't win any trophies with Tottenham. Ideally we need a young version of Pep/Klopp/Fergie. Tuchel may be?
I dunno Poch's stock is pretty low right now, it's the same as when buying players you dont want to buy them when they're at their lowest at their current club or being forced out the door because what you buy is someone low on confidence. Look at Chelsea when they signed Torres from Liverpool, us when we signed Mata from Chelsea, when we appointed Mourinho after his disastrous season at Chelsea

Whoever we appoint next has to be someone their existing club wants to keep and someone who's obviously doing an amazing job at said club. Right now that aint Poch

I dunno Poch's stock is pretty low right now, it's the same as when buying players you dont want to buy them when they're at their lowest at their current club or being forced out the door because what you buy is someone low on confidence. Look at Chelsea when they signed Torres from Liverpool, us when we signed Mata from Chelsea, when we appointed Mourinho after his disastrous season at Chelsea

Whoever we appoint next has to be someone their existing club wants to keep and someone who's obviously doing an amazing job at said club. Right now that aint Poch
Do you think Poch is on a decline? He's still very young, I think it's just a rough patch.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do you think Poch is on a decline? He's still very young, I think it's just a rough patch.
Not so much of a decline but he's gone stale at Spurs and needs a new challenge. I'm not sure for us though it's a good time to be getting him

Not so much of a decline but he's gone stale at Spurs and needs a new challenge. I'm not sure for us though it's a good time to be getting him
We would be a good challenge, I think Ole is tryna get us to play similar to how spurs played in their 16/17 season. Poch could work with this squad he would just need a few addition in midfield and attack.

Poch likes having a young squad and we currently have that.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not seeing much clamour for Eddie Howe
Not a big enough name. Not from a foreign league. Not a chance. Ridiculous.

I'd love to see what he could do at a big club and I'd like to see him here. I think he's be an instant upgrade on Ole. Eddie Howe has had a fantastic managerial career on the face of it.

I still think Ole should get the next window and the rest of the season though.

Tuchel was my #1 choice, I don't think he'll come now. Truthbetold the time to get him was the end of Jose 2nd season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Heard a rumour Ole is getting sacked..

Absolutely can't see it but someone who works for the BBC was talking about it whilst filming in the city yesterday.

Obviously what do they know but just thought I'd mention it.

redshaw

Not a big enough name. Not from a foreign league. Not a chance. Ridiculous.

I'd love to see what he could do at a big club and I'd like to see him here. I think he's be an instant upgrade on Ole. Eddie Howe has had a fantastic managerial career on the face of it.
Well he got a lot of mentions here last season so that's why I said it. He's also had a good start this season.

But yes, people are probably ready to go for a name again, like a Poch or Tuchel.

Our previous big name managers had huge flaws in one was retiring and the other was playing with fire with huge warning signs.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Well he got a lot mentions here last season so that's why I said it. He's also had a good start this season.
He has a had a really good and mostly consistent career, getting promoted twice and still keep bournmouth in the prem with good results. He's no less qualified than some of the other names banded around. Pretty annoying.

redshaw

He has a had a really good and mostly consistent career, getting promoted twice and still keep bournmouth in the prem with good results. He's no less qualified than some of the other names banded around. Pretty annoying.
Yes he's done very well. He should get a chance at a bigger club soon. Maybe not United although I wouldn't have a problem giving him a go.

red thru&thru

What's their structure?
They have an identity on how they want to play. They then buy and develop youth and introduce them into the first team. They identify the best youth talent around and nurture them.

They have Ralph Rangnick leading the DoF role at Salzburg and Leipzeg. Paul Mitchell is now the Technical Director of RB's soccer division.

Basically, they have a great model, which they apply to all the teams that they purchase, not just in football but sports in general and it works. Their teams are more often than not successful.

Shalashaska

Must be Tuchel!
I don't understand why he is SO rated.

Winning Ligue 1 with that PSG side is in no way impressive, and the fact they threw away their lead against us should make us question him also.

I don't see how he is any more "experienced" than Ole.

The only manager that would make me reconsider keeping Ole is Simeone, and even he could prove to only be suited to Atletico.

Our focus should be helping Ole build a squad for the future, so that whoever does takeover after him will have the tools to compete

redshaw

Heard a rumour Ole is getting sacked..

Absolutely can't see it but someone who works for the BBC was talking about it whilst filming in the city yesterday.

Obviously what do they know but just thought I'd mention it.
Ole is on very thin ice but I'll be amazed if he doesn't get at least 10 league games. A sacking is probably imminent if we have no wins in the next four.

They have an identity on how they want to play. They then buy and develop youth and introduce them into the first team. They identify the best youth talent around and nurture them.

They have Ralph Rangnick leading the DoF role at Salzburg and Leipzeg. Paul Mitchell is now the Technical Director of RB's soccer division.

Basically, they have a great model, which they apply to all the teams that they purchase, not just in football but sports in general and it works. Their teams are more often than not successful.
Sounds very modern! BVB have a similar setup too I think.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nuno was in the same boat last season and suddenly he looks shit now. So its best to at least let the league adjust to him before making any judgements.
Nuno did a great job last season and I agree there. But Farke seems to have a bit of a track record for doing a good job in previous roles. And the difference is he's got Norwich playing good football, whereas Nuno focused on counter attack more. It will be interesting to see how they do anyway, they look very well coached, have a clear style of play and he's got some run of the mill players playing football better than our players look like they're even capable of.

Greck

Ole is on very thin ice but I'll be amazed if he doesn't get at least 10 league games. A sacking is probably imminent if we have no wins in the next four.
Honestly don't want him sacked because getting an interim to finish 6th isn't too enticing but Ole isn't doing himself any favours as he isn't even doing the bare minimum to buy himself time till the end of Christmas. Even a false dawn result every now and then would do

Jordielaforge

A sense of reality...……...
So, since SAF left, we have had Moyes/ Van Gaal/ Mourinho and now Ole. If you keep sacking managers you end up with a dis-jointed squad full of different managers types of players. Guess what? We've got that.
Mourinho thinks his greatest achievement in football was getting our lot to 2nd a couple of years ago. That tells you it all. Allegedly one of the greatest managers in the world!
It is a disparate set of players with no common thread. If Ole gets sacked, it would be madness, as it will start all over again.
His 3 signings are the best we have had in 7 years. He knows what it needs. It's not just him, we have Phelan, Carrick and others that are United through and though. He needs 3 or 4 transfer windows to get this shower sorted.
Sacking Ole is by far the worst thing that United could do. We will end up like Liverpool or City were a few years ago. Desperate, but without a plan.
We have a plan. FFS lets stick to it and give him the time to get us back where we all want to see us, and some think we have a divine right to belong. There is no quick fix here. Klopps been at Liverpool for 4 years or so, same with Pep. Let's not forget Pep inherited a Premier League winning side with some outstanding players in - Aguero? Silva?
Sense is required, not impulse.
Good things come to those who wait...………………...

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I would give Ole until the end of the season before re-evaluating, and unless the wheels come off completely, as in relegation fight, I won't mind giving him another summer to try again if we can get at least RW, DM, AM (if possible, an experienced backup striker as well) and see him work with a more complete squad. Yes, the squad is weaker today than it was when he took over but that's down to his clear out and unfortunately not bringing in enough replacements for the players who have left (not his fault).

The first question to ask ourselves when looking for another replacement is why have the previous managers post-SAF failed? Moyes was overwhelmed by the job, LvG was passed it and Mourinho was never a good match in the first place. That's not even factoring the inept board and limited ability of those in charge of securing transfers. What I like about this thread is the fact that everyone is giving names of people who have done a decent job at smaller clubs with less pressure to deliver week in week out, and who met a better club structure in place to work with. I'm not sure if any of the names commonly mentioned practically built a competitive squad from scratch like Ole has been required to do from his first summer transfer window. Neither has experience working in the sort of environment which is Manchester United FC. The reasons which made Moyes fail woefully here are the same which will make many of the names I've seen here so far to fail. You can blame Ole for many things but he doesn't look overwhelmed by the job of managing Man United. As for the experienced names, who is available or would be a realistic target to come in if Ole is sacked? Allegri would be another misfit à la Mourinho and Poch doesn't really feel like he would realistically come here and fare well in our current environment. Maybe Tuchel (although I have serious doubts about him) but he won't leave PSG unless he's sacked there.

I say, have some patience. We all expected this was going to be a tough season, so I don't get why everyone suddenly sounds surprised. Or let's keep trying to copy Real by chopping and changing managers when we don't have the same transfer strategy nor the same acumen when it comes to securing transfers of the players we want. We end up with a new manager every two years with a mishmash of players wanted by different managers, and an aborted half-cooked rebuild process which will be started all over again. Rinse and repeat.

Before anyone asks why Ole deserves the patience (and not Mourinho, for example), I'd say it's subjective, like most of these things. I think Ole is a (more) likeable guy and believe he's doing things the right way (in my opinon), especially in face of the difficult environment. Both performances and results are shaky but I see and like what he's trying to do. I'm willing to give him (and neither of the previous three) more time to see if he can succeed to make it work. After all, there is no guarantee the next guy will actually do any much better with this squad. He, too, will need to buy more players before we can start dreaming of any trophies.