United’s next manager

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
A sense of reality...……...
So, since SAF left, we have had Moyes/ Van Gaal/ Mourinho and now Ole. If you keep sacking managers you end up with a dis-jointed squad full of different managers types of players. Guess what? We've got that.
Mourinho thinks his greatest achievement in football was getting our lot to 2nd a couple of years ago. That tells you it all. Allegedly one of the greatest managers in the world!
It is a disparate set of players with no common thread. If Ole gets sacked, it would be madness, as it will start all over again.
His 3 signings are the best we have had in 7 years. He knows what it needs. It's not just him, we have Phelan, Carrick and others that are United through and though. He needs 3 or 4 transfer windows to get this shower sorted.
Sacking Ole is by far the worst thing that United could do. We will end up like Liverpool or City were a few years ago. Desperate, but without a plan.
We have a plan. FFS lets stick to it and give him the time to get us back where we all want to see us, and some think we have a divine right to belong. There is no quick fix here. Klopps been at Liverpool for 4 years or so, same with Pep. Let's not forget Pep inherited a Premier League winning side with some outstanding players in - Aguero? Silva?
Sense is required, not impulse.
Good things come to those who wait...………………...
It would be easy to read your post, agree with it all and love your optimism. I'm tempted Jordielaforge :)

Sacking or backing him. Either way, it's nothing more than a roll of the dice. Either way could be a win or either way could be a lose.

lon ball2

Nagelsmann definitely seems to have something about him. Great at developing youth, likes to attack, knows his way around a whiteboard

simplyared

I don't understand why he is SO rated.

Winning Ligue 1 with that PSG side is in no way impressive, and the fact they threw away their lead against us should make us question him also.

I don't see how he is any more "experienced" than Ole.

The only manager that would make me reconsider keeping Ole is Simeone, and even he could prove to only be suited to Atletico.

Our focus should be helping Ole build a squad for the future, so that whoever does takeover after him will have the tools to compete
You need to do a little homework my friend. He took over Mainz and Dortmund after Klopp and had a higher success rate than Klopp with both clubs in the Bundesliga. There's is no better tactician than him in modern day football. He started his coaching career at an early age after his playing career was cut short with a serious knee injury. The man oozes passion and experience, he has an attidude about him which is necessary, and something Ole doesn't have or never will have. There is no better fit for Utd than him!

Winning Ligue 1 with that PSG side is in no way impressive, and the fact they threw away their lead against us should make us question him also.

The only manager that would make me reconsider keeping Ole is Simeone, and even he could prove to only be suited to Atletico.

Our focus should be helping Ole build a squad for the future, so that whoever does takeover after him will have the tools to compete
Someone hasn't done their research.

Judas

Open to offers

Yuck. How anyone could consider Simeone I've no idea.

dev1l

Winning the domestic league with Juventus, Bayern,Psg or Celtic is no big feat. They re very big fish in small ponds

Rafaeldagold

Tuchel, Nagglesman, Simone.

All different managers with different Styles but importantly they all have the talent & character to build an identity at a football club which we need desperately. I don’t think we really know what we are now, we’re just aimlessly going from one game to the next devoid of any soul

AlwaysRed66

No top side would ever consider Simeone, & he probably wouldn't sign as he would be found out. Can you imagine Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Bayern, Man City, Liverpool putting up with his anti football. They would riot. Simeone is a negative manager, who likes being the underdog, which he wouldn't be allowed to consider at a top side. The reason I didn't mention us, was many deluded fans & probably the board would actually consider him, & it would be disastrous. Fans/Pundits/Media all recognise Atletico have quality strike force in recent years, yet despite this they hardly ever create anything or score goals. Even negative Mourinho scored far more when manager. I have the impression even if he had prime Messi & Ronaldo they would have still struggled to score. I know we are steadily sinking, but we would hit an iceberg if we appointed him.

Drz

It doesn't matter. This team will still underperform because 70% of the players are fecking cnuts.
Agreed, we have to eat "sh1t" for the mistakes we have made but no one wants to come to terms with it, they'd rather just pass the buck. Then rinse and repeat.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
A sense of reality...……...

His 3 signings are the best we have had in 7 years. He knows what it needs.

It's not just him, we have Phelan, Carrick and others that are United through and though. He needs 3 or 4 transfer windows to get this shower sorted.
What a load of complete and utter rubbish...

His three signings have played about 10 games - they can't be compared to trophy winners like Zlatan and Pogba or even Rom yet.

Let them settle in before coming out with stuff like that.

And the notion that 'Phelan, Carrick and others' are somehow worthy coaches because they're 'Utd through and through' is a truly pathetic attitude that this club needs to get rid of ASAP.

If they're good enough coaches then great, if they're not - fecking get rid, and get in worthy coaches.

The Utd old boys' network have literally caused nothing but trouble and instability since SAF's retirement, Neville included.

They aren't owed a fecking role at Utd because they 'used to work at Utd'.

Carrick has now coached under two failed regimes, Phelan is AM and the footy is fecking shite.

Stop with the daft sentiment, please.

red thru&thru

We don't need United through and through. We need the best footballing men at the correct positions, firstly beginning with the boardroom.

Mainoldo

We don't need United through and through. We need the best footballing men at the correct positions, firstly beginning with the boardroom.
Well the boardroom isn’t getting fixed. So who do you want as manager?

As in style? Player development and tactics. Who’s your choice.

Jordielaforge

What a load of complete and utter rubbish...

His three signings have played about 10 games - they can't be compared to trophy winners like Zlatan and Pogba or even Rom yet.

Let them settle in before coming out with stuff like that.

And the notion that 'Phelan, Carrick and others' are somehow worthy coaches because they're 'Utd through and through' is a truly pathetic attitude that this club needs to get rid of ASAP.

If they're good enough coaches then great, if they're not - fecking get rid, and get in worthy coaches.

The Utd old boys' network have literally caused nothing but trouble and instability since SAF's retirement, Neville included.

They aren't owed a fecking role at Utd because they 'used to work at Utd'.

Carrick has now coached under two failed regimes, Phelan is AM and the footy is fecking shite.

Stop with the daft sentiment, please.
Rhyme,
Its not sentiment. It's realism. This idea of a quick fix is nonsense. We had 'the chosen one' - it failed. We had 'the dutch master' - it failed. We had 'the special one' - it failed. The revolving door is everything that is wrong. We have had a succession of managers with appalling recruitment records and now a dis-jointed squad. We now have a set-up that is looking long term to correct the nonsense that's gone on before.
Fellaini - not good enough. Sanchez - awful. Lukaku - fat & lazy. Herrera - great. Smalling - not good enough. Jones - not good enough. Dalot - interesting. Young - not good enough. Pogba - hot & cold. Rashford - hot & cold. Valencia - gone. Martial - hot & cold. Mctominay - not good enough, yet. Fred, not good enough.
The list goes on because of the revolving door. We can't say the managers haven't been backed though.
The only player I wish we had kept is Herrera, but he wanted away.

red thru&thru

Well the boardroom isn’t getting fixed. So who do you want as manager?

As in style? Player development and tactics. Who’s your choice.
What is the point of getting a new manager? What will he achieve? Even Pep couldn't sort out our mess.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What is the point of getting a new manager? What will he achieve? Even Pep couldn't sort out our mess.
You have to wonder how other clubs manage to turn things around. It's not uncommon that you change managers until you get it right.

Greck

The notion that no one can do better than Ole as United manager is ridiculous. It only makes sense if you think he's the best manager in world football. That's literally what a better manager is, providing better results if the exact same conditions and environment could be replicated

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I agree with Ogden. The question that needs to be answered is do the owners really care about the football side as long as the stream of money continues? Personally I don't think so, at least as long as we don't end up relegated. Our clueless take on the football aspect of the business, which United clearly first and foremost is at the moment, post Fergie will continue as long as the owners stay. We sack a manager then and now, sign a few players here and there, but there's hard to spot a genuine plan behind it all.

Following this logic it probably doesn't matter who is manager of United. We need new owners, then we can start thinking about who'll manage the club.

fps

Yet another managerial change will just give the players another excuse to down tools.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I agree with Tuchel being the man we need. We would need to give him all the power similar to Klopp at Liverpool.

And please stop this „bringing back United legends“ nonsense.
With all due respect I do not care if anyone has been a great player.
What we need now is the best possible manager with deep knowledge of tactics and a serious plan.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I agree with Ogden. The question that needs to be answered is do the owners really care about the football side as long as the stream of money continues? Personally I don't think so, at least as long as we don't end up relegated. Our clueless take on the football aspect of the business, which United clearly first and foremost is at the moment, post Fergie will continue as long as the owners stay. We sack a manager then and now, sign a few players here and there, but there's hard to spot a genuine plan behind it all.

Following this logic it probably doesn't matter who is manager of United. We need new owners, then we can start thinking about who'll manage the club.
Its not a football club. It's a hyper scale corporate entity. A thriving business.
Money is rolling in.

The thing is the money keeps rolling in despite the product on sale (allegedly football) being poor quality. They are leveraging the brand and the history.

The product is shit and this will eventually become evident in the stock exchange price. It will take a while yet.

People need to forget about the romance of MUFC. Its over. Its now a souless corporate entity.

Ole will be sacked eventually And a new man will come in. Might win a trophy or two but in general the oil money will blitz everything and continue to do so.

Gandalf

The notion that no one can do better than Ole as United manager is ridiculous. It only makes sense if you think he's the best manager in world football. That's literally what a better manager is, providing better results if the exact same conditions and environment could be replicated
Better managers are not coming here in our current situation. Sacking Ole at this point would be a waste of time because we would end up with our fourth choice manager trying to change direction mid season.

We at least need to back Ole until the summer and then take stock. If the plan is not working then you can give him the hook and get someone in to replace him with the benefit of a full pre-season and the opportunity to oversee our summer transfer business. If Ole gets things cooking then he stays in place and we continue. Our worst case scenario is that we end up making the switch in the summer and the new guy benefits from the deadwood having been mostly cleared out and will have lots of film of our youngsters playing first team football so he can decide if they are going to make the grade or not.

I am willing Ole to succeed and will be delighted if he pulls it off but I am also a pragmatist and I love the club more than I love a former player, even a legend like Ole. We should know enough by May to make a final call and one last point, if we do move on please for christs sake can we do it with a bit of dignity and class which is something Ole absolutely deserves.

Withnail

Everyone in football knows Woodward is a chump, the club is a basketcase from a footballing perspective and the owners only care about lining their pockets.

What quality manager in their right mind would take the job?

Greck

Better managers are not coming here in our current situation. Sacking Ole at this point would be a waste of time because we would end up with our fourth choice manager trying to change direction mid season.

We at least need to back Ole until the summer and then take stock. If the plan is not working then you can give him the hook and get someone in to replace him with the benefit of a full pre-season and the opportunity to oversee our summer transfer business. If Ole gets things cooking then he stays in place and we continue. Our worst case scenario is that we end up making the switch in the summer and the new guy benefits from the deadwood having been mostly cleared out and will have lots of film of our youngsters playing first team football so he can decide if they are going to make the grade or not.

I am willing Ole to succeed and will be delighted if he pulls it off but I am also a pragmatist and I love the club more than I love a former player, even a legend like Ole. We should know enough by May to make a final call and one last point, if we do move on please for christs sake can we do it with a bit of dignity and class which is something Ole absolutely deserves.
Actually agree. Don't want to go through another interim. Would prefer to evaluate in the summer. Ole just needs to meet the minimum expectations to pacify the fans till then

George The Best

Nagelsmann or Poch. Need somebody who is going to stand up to the Board and not take no for an answer. Poch might not be strong enough for this though. We need a very strong character, as well as a great coach, to beat Ed into submission. Jose wasn’t even strong enough when Ed refused to go for Maguire, so not sure anyone can succeed with this idiot at the helm.

Revaulx

You think Ole is a better, or even equal coach to Wenger...?
Well I wanted Wenger for interim when Jose was sacked as I thought he’d be able to take a properly objective view of us without the baggage he’d accumulated at Arsenal. My only nervousness was that if he did well, Clueless Ed would give him the job permanently, with inevitably disastrous consequences. Funny how it actually turned out...

Gandalf

Nagelsmann or Poch. Need somebody who is going to stand up to the Board and not take no for an answer. Poch might not be strong enough for this though. We need a very strong character, as well as a great coach, to beat Ed into submission. Jose wasn’t even strong enough when Ed refused to go for Maguire, so not sure anyone can succeed with this idiot at the helm.
Poch might be good so long as we don't have to play Colchester too often. Might also want to play all our games at home seeing as he hasn't won away in the Prem since January and of course we are no longer challenging for trophies so a manager who has ever won anything fits the bill perfectly :lol:

George The Best

Poch might be good so long as we don't have to play Colchester too often. Might also want to play all our games at home seeing as he hasn't won away in the Prem since January and of course we are no longer challenging for trophies so a manager who has ever won anything fits the bill perfectly :lol:
Going to be difficult to attract anybody who has won anything in our current position. Did say that Poch may not be strong enough. Meanwhile, what has Ole won at this level?

Revaulx

The main thing to be taken into consideration when the next manager is appointed will be minimising Ed’s loss of face. Fortunately for him, this summer’s signings have (so far) been decent, so he can claim that the hard-working young British strategy he came up with is a great success and it’s only the detailed execution by Ole that’s not been good enough. So expect an incoming manager who’s experienced at working with hard-working young Brits. Southgate? Seems more likely than most of the names being bandied about here.

croadyman

Can someone give me a proper insight into Nagelsmann because don't really know that much about him.

croadyman

Hopefully the next manager demands more before accepting the job than Ole did. He was just happy to take it whatever the terms he was offered.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can someone give me a proper insight into Nagelsmann because don't really know that much about him.
This article from January 2018 gives a good illustration of the man. Below is a excerpt from the article followed by the link to the article.

Tactically he is a disciple of Tuchel, Guardiola and Rangnick. Adopting a 3-1-4-2 formation which can transform into a 3-3-4 or even a 3-1-6 in certain situations depending on the layout of the opposition. The foundations of Hoffenheim’s gameplan are a high press to cause turnovers followed by attacking overloads and exploitation of half-spaces to unbalance defences and create clear openings for their attackers.

The 3-1-4-2 requires a few key components to be successful. A Goalkeeper with good distribution and organisational skills. A deep centre back requiring good technical skills but also adept at reading the game as he will be forced to squeeze vertically or slide horizontally depending on the gaps that appear during Hoffenheim’s defensive press. It is vital the four attackers are flexible positionally with the two central midfielders drifting wide or running beyond in support of the forwards.

https://breakingthelines.com/uncategorized/julian-nagelsmann-the-tactics-behind-a-pioneer/