United’s next manager

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sometimes I have arguments with my wife, and I see the neighbor's new wife is fitter, can both iron and cook without complaining, and she even still got her own teeth, but I'm sticking to my current, hoping for better times once again.
I think it's more likely your wife will grow new teeth than it is that Ole will turn this around, if that helps at all.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Streich is a great coach and even greater human being. The most liked and respected coach in the whole country. But, nothing could be more impossible than Streich at United.
Yep, I think he will go back to coaching at youth level when his time as a first team manager at Freiburg eventually comes to an end.

DRM

Cant even beat Brighton with the team he has. How hopeless would he be with our squad?
About as hopeless as we were against the following:
West Ham
Palace
Alkmaar
Huddersfield
Wolves
Southampton
Rochdale

Lee565

Cant even beat Brighton with the team he has. How hopeless would he be with our squad?
Whilst I am hesitant about the idea now, remember klopp had a bad season with Dortmund and Chelsea under Jose in his last season left them down in the second half of the premier league table.

AshRK

Poch is a good manager, very good I would say but it would be dangerous to hire him now. Let the man have some break and bring him next season if he wants.

edgar allan

Whilst I am hesitant about the idea now, remember klopp had a bad season with Dortmund and Chelsea under Jose in his last season left them down in the second half of the premier league table.
Thats why it was madness signing Jose.

Lee565

People want Poch as our manager...scary
the jury is out on poch being able to take that next step up in football but basing it on the idea of losing 3-0 to Brighton is a bit of an overreaction, even great managers like fergie and gaurdiola have lost by 3 goals or more to mid-table sides.

Lee565

That has been our best spell post fergie though. I would have preferred to have kept van Gaal on though.

Madness was employing a manager who's previous experience in English football was struggling badly in the championship league with Cardiff.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Signing Jose was a good idea, and it was something we simply had to try.
He should’ve been sacked during last season’s pre-season when it all went too far, but he won a European trophy here, got is to second (!) which sounds almost unbelievable from where we are today and his team showed character plenty of times.
But until changes, he’s the best we’ve from the last four.

AshRK

the jury is out on poch being able to take that next step up in football but basing it on the idea of losing 3-0 to Brighton is a bit of an overreaction, even great managers like fergie and gaurdiola have lost by 3 goals or more to mid-table sides.
It's not a one off scenario. Poch has been struggling for some.time now. I am not saying he is finished, he is not but he needs some time off. Hiring him now if he leaves spurs won't be the smartest decision by our board.

edgar allan

West Ham
Palace
Alkmaar
Huddersfield
Wolves
Southampton
Rochdale
Yes indeed, so back to the point if Ole is so bad because we only won one nil in the EL, why is Poch our saviour?
That has been our best spell post fergie though.

Madness was employing a manager who's previous experience in English football was struggling badly in the championship league with Cardiff.
Best spell?? The club turned into a toxic mess under him.

MUFromLTU

West Ham
Palace
Alkmaar
Huddersfield
Wolves
Southampton
Rochdale
Nice comparison. We were the better team in all of those except Alkmaar (not surprising knowing our squad for the match), and Tottenham were absolutely dominated today with not a slim chance to take points. Playing with way younger squad + way more injuries.

We'd score 2 of those penalties or at least once of 5745 chances and we'd be sitting at 4th, but because we didn't - Ole out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Best spell?? The club turned into a toxic mess under him.
The club has been a toxic mess since 2013, it’s all cliches.
“A toxic mess”, give me a break, so he didn’t get along with Pogba and threw a couple of players under the bus, they’ve had it coming anyways.

He didn’t manage to get us where we hopes but he did better than the other three, it is what it is.

Lee565

It's not a one off scenario. Poch has been struggling for some.time now. I am not saying he is finished, he is not but he needs some time off. Hiring him now if he leaves spurs won't be the smartest decision by our board.
It would seem like the best thing for potchettino to take a break for a spell as a lot of top managers are doing this these days like Guardiola, Klopp and currently Allegri.

AlwaysRed66

Whatever is said of Pochettino, what you cannot deny is he has taken a club into the Champions League the last five season, & reached the final of it. With the resources of Spurs (Transfers & Wages) there is no way he should have been competing with the other top six sides, who have had far more resources in that time than Spurs. I think Spurs fans are soon go to realise how lucky they were to have him, though just going on their forums the vast majority want to happily ditch him & bring in the likes of Mourinho; Allegri; Benitez; Simeone; Conte, who would bore everyone to death, & wouldn't compete with Liverpool & Man City anyway. Good luck Spurs fans, you will need it.

edgar allan

“A toxic mess”, give me a break, so he didn’t get along with Pogba and threw a couple of players under the bus, they’ve had it coming anyways.

He didn’t manage to get us where we hopes but he did better than the other three, it is what it is.
If by better you mean having wasted near 400 million and left a midtable team then yes

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We should put Poch in as DoF till end of season so he can get a rest, shape things without being responsible for the mess we're currently in. Then take over as manager in summer 2020.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Julian Nagelsmann and Marco Rose would be my two picks. Both managers are considered tactically very good with a very high ceiling. Both managers also play a very progressive brand of football that would fit in well with our ethos and traditions.

It's time to think outside of the box and bring in one of the aforementioned who have the potential to reach the very top IMO.

Karlos PFC

No, it would be the best decision the club made for years

red thru&thru

Julian Nagelsmann and Marco Rose would be my two picks. Both managers are considered tactically very good with a very high ceiling. Both managers also play a very progressive brand of football that would fit in well with our ethos and traditions.

It's time to think outside of the box and bring in one of the aforementioned who have the potential to reach the very top IMO.
Unfortunately I just can't see either coming, especially as they've only just gone in to their current jobs.

Also their is another caveat, guys like Rose, Naglesmann and Poch are used to working with DoF's. There's nothing to suggest they would succeed with our current set up.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes but have they done 4 Days after losing 2-7 to Bayern at home ?

lysglimt

Scout
Do you find anything scary about our current manager, no?
That's not really the issue - OGS has had 1 transfer window to fix a team that was at least not stronger than what Pochettino took over 5 years ago. But my reaction was to the number of people who want to replace OGS with Pochettino.

Brighton (a) 0-3
Bayern (h) 2-7
Southampton (h) 2-1
Colchester (a) 0-0 lost on penalties
Leicester (a) 1-2
Olympiakos (a) 2-2

I can understand people criticizing OGS for Uniteds results - but why the same people want Pochettino as manager...?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think we need to push Woodward away from football matters as fast as we can. I'd say create a football ceo with woody moves as the financial ceo. After that I'd go for this strategy

Football CEO: Marotta. One of the most shrewd and experienced Ceos in football. He's got a knack in wheeling and dealing which we will need to sustain 2-3 years of high turnover

DOF: Mitchell. A Manchester lad the guy did a great job with Southampton, spurs and in Germany. He will do well with us as well

Manager: Eddie Howe. Great young manager whose capable to do wonders with few resources at hand

Id say keep Phelan as no 2, sack Carrick and demote mckenna. The latter two had been useless in the past 2 admins.

Shark

@NotShark
That's not really the issue - OGS has had 1 transfer window to fix a team that was at least not stronger than what Pochettino took over 5 years ago. But my reaction was to the number of people who want to replace OGS with Pochettino.

Brighton (a) 0-3
Bayern (h) 2-7
Southampton (h) 2-1
Leicester (a) 1-2
Olympiakos (a) 2-2

I can understand people criticizing OGS for Uniteds results - but why the same people want Pochettino as manager...?
Because he's proven himself capable of building, motivating top players and achieving regular CL football with next to zero backing. Ole has proven that he can win a couple of titles with Molde, who are thriving at the top of the table without him there. We are literally going down the Roy Hodgon path that Liverpool did, but we can still save our season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Unfortunately I just can't see either coming, especially as they've only just gone in to their current jobs.

Also their is another caveat, guys like Rose, Naglesmann and Poch are used to working with DoF's. There's nothing to suggest they would succeed with our current set up.
I honestly believe Nagelsmann or Rose would reshape the whole squad even without working with a DoF. Both managers would probably relish the extra responsibility and would bring in some value for money signings from the Bundesliga to close the gap. Woodward has made mistakes for sure but the managers we've hired post Fergie have been a bigger problem as far the wasted funds.

Moyes - Signed Fellaini and Mata who never really fitted into a Manchester United team. Wasted £65m.

LVG - was backed considerably in his first season and we signed 6 players including Di Maria and Falcao. He then started handing debuts to some absolutely average players from the academy (McNair, Blackett etc) and that put us further behind. He also omitted Herrera from the team for large periods and the Spaniards return to the first 11 coincided with our best run of the season beating the likes of Liverpool and City. He also got rid of players like Chicharito, Nani etc prematurely which weakened us further.

Mourinho - He was backed by the club like no other manager before him and we even broke the world transfer record in the process. After being backed with considerable sums he still wanted to sign a 3rd CB after signing two previously (Bailly, Lindelof) which was ridiculous and was quite rightly turned down. He got rid of Daley Blind and bought a inferior CB in Lindelof which was a waste of more funds. Blaming Woodward for such incompetence by the above is very unfair.

I honestly believe Nagelsmann or Rose would use the funds available to them in a more economical way. I don't believe either would've signed a CB for £80m either.

Lee565

Yes but have they done 4 Days after losing 2-7 to Bayern at home ?
Even the best managers have bad spells, I can still remember us under fergie losing 5-0 to Newcastle, then 6-3 to bloody Southampton the next match and I'm pretty sure that's not the only time when we have some heavy defeats in a row under fergie.

Brighton (a) 0-3
Bayern (h) 2-7
Southampton (h) 2-1
Leicester (a) 1-2
Olympiakos (a) 2-2

It's probably for the same reason fans still wanted Mourinho after his awful last season with Chelsea, what they had done previously with the temptation being we may get these managers to reach those heights at our club.

Where as what does Solskjear have on his to back up his awful spell as manager at the club, struggling to handle even the championship with Cardiff? Winning a Mickey mouse league? That's it, poor managers like keane, Hughes and McClaren have had more success in management.

Potchettino wasn't my first choice to make it clear, conte was when Mourinho left but I would sure as hell have more confidence in potchettino taking us in the right way than Solskjear.

edgar allan

Because he's proven himself capable of building, motivating top players and achieving regular CL football with next to zero backing. Ole has proven that he can win a couple of titles with Molde, who are thriving at the top of the table without him there. We are literally going down the Roy Hodgon path that Liverpool did, but we can still save our season.
Just like Jose had done previously. We got him on the slide and look what happened.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

No other manager has publicly shat on the club man utd and it's players as much as Jose. Being crap is one thing, but José took it to a whole new level.