United’s next manager

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Best spell?? The club turned into a toxic mess under him.
Do you want results or do you want us to play happy families?
If the latter, then Jose is definitely not the guy you want.
Results-wise, Jose has been our best manager since Fergie. It's silly arguing otherwise.
Moyes has been our worst BUT Ole seems to be putting together a series of negative records, which would suggest that he may become our worst manager very soon.

red thru&thru

I honestly believe Nagelsmann or Rose would reshape the whole squad even without working with a DoF. Both managers would probably relish the extra responsibility and would bring in some value for money signings from the Bundesliga to close the gap. Woodward has made mistakes for sure but the managers we've hired post Fergie have been a bigger problem as far the wasted funds.

Moyes - Signed Fellaini and Mata who never really fitted into a Manchester United team. Wasted £65m.

LVG - was backed considerably in his first season and we signed 6 players including Di Maria and Falcao. He then started handing debuts to some absolutely average players from the academy (McNair, Blackett etc) and that put us further behind. He also omitted Herrera from the team for large periods and the Spaniards return to the first 11 coincided with our best run of the season beating the likes of Liverpool and City. He also got rid of players like Chicharito, Nani etc prematurely which weakened us further.

Mourinho - He was backed by the club like no other manager before him and we even broke the world transfer record in the process. After being backed with considerable sums he still wanted to sign a 3rd CB after signing two previously (Bailly, Lindelof) which was ridiculous and was quite rightly turned down. He got rid of Daley Blind and bought a inferior CB in Lindelof which was a waste of more funds. Blaming Woodward for such incompetence by the above is very unfair.

I honestly believe Nagelsmann or Rose would use the funds available to them in a more economical way. I don't believe either would've signed a CB for £80m either.
You think all the above managers didn't want more players, such as Moyes? The problem they had was Ed...and we still have the same problem! This isn't exclusive to our club, look at what is happening at Spurs at the moment!

Like I've said before, Nagelsmann and Rose would also be my choice but you could bring in Pep to us, and he'd struggle.

edgar allan

Do you want results or do you want us to play happy families?
If the latter, then Jose is definitely not the guy you want.
Results-wise, Jose has been our best manager since Fergie. It's silly arguing otherwise.
Moyes has been our worst BUT Ole seems to be putting together a series of negative records, which would suggest that he may become our worst manager very soon.
If we give Ole 2 years and 400 million and we are 6th in the league then I would concede that he is in Jose territory.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You think all the above managers didn't want more players, such as Moyes? The problem they had was Ed...and we still have the same problem! This isn't exclusive to our club, look at what is happening at Spurs at the moment!

Like I've said before, Nagelsmann and Rose would also be my choice but you could bring in Pep to us, and he'd struggle.
Moyes did want more players and it was well documented we tried for Baines. But his dithering on the likes of Strootman, Herrera, Thiago was costly if reports are to be believed. Not sure how Woodward is culpable for Moyes' dithering/indecision.

red thru&thru

Moyes did want more players and it was well documented we tried for Baines. But his dithering on the likes of Strootman, Herrera, Thiago was costly if reports are to be believed. Not sure how Woodward is culpable for Moyes' dithering/indecision.
But in all the years Ed has been in charge, where would you say we've got our targets in early? He's always dragged his feet...no matter who the manager.

Crashoutcassius

Be interesting to do a recap on that next manager thread with the pool. Most of the high up managers ie poch, zidane, jardim have seen their stock fall dramatically in less than 1 year.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think one of the Caf posters should apply. There are a lot of experts here who seem to know exactly what to do in any situation.

lysglimt

Scout
Even the best managers have bad spells, I can still remember us under fergie losing 5-0 to Newcastle, then 6-3 to bloody Southampton the next match and I'm pretty sure that's not the only time when we have some heavy defeats in a row under fergie.

It's probably for the same reason fans still wanted Mourinho after his awful last season with Chelsea, what they had done previously with the temptation being we may get these managers to reach those heights at our club.

Where as what does Solskjear have on his to back up his awful spell as manager at the club, struggling to handle even the championship with Cardiff? Winning a Mickey mouse league? That's it, poor managers like keane, Hughes and McClaren have had more success in management.

Potchettino wasn't my first choice to make it clear, conte was when Mourinho left but I would sure as hell have more confidence in potchettino taking us in the right way than Solskjear.
As for the Southampton-game, that was a very special game where Keane was sent off after 20 minutes - and still we were only 3-2 down when 9 minutes left to play.

People don't want OGS - fine .. but there were people almost celebrating that Spurs lost 3-0 because that would mean it would be easier to get Pochettino. Tottenham are worse than they ever been under Pochettino - and people still want him as a manager ? So my problem isn't that people don't want OGS (even if I dont agree) - my problem is that they want to replace him with a manager who in fairness has performed really poorly for the last 18 months.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But in all the years Ed has been in charge, where would you say we've got our targets in early? He's always dragged his feet...no matter who the manager.
Getting players in early would've been great and Woodward got quite a few in early. But some big money transfers were complicated hence taking longer than expected to complete.

The bigger issue is the players that weren't deemed good enough and were let go in favour of players that were inferior. Nani, Hernandez, Rafael, Januzaj, Evans, Blind etc would be starting games for us currently. Their exits were managerial decisions.

Then look at the players that were bought, with Mourinho's purchases in particular being awful with the exception of a few. Matic, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof, Bailly, Fred etc and it's pretty clear to me that our managers have cost us big time with their decision making with Woodward the scape-goat.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

That’s Manchester United not Only Ed. We’re still waiting for Benzema, Robben and Ronaldinho to arrive. Not to list a numerous of other targets. Remember the Sneijder saga. That wasn’t Ed’s reign. I don’t rate our board but I wish people would stop lying.

Caesar2290

the jury is out on poch being able to take that next step up in football but basing it on the idea of losing 3-0 to Brighton is a bit of an overreaction, even great managers like fergie and gaurdiola have lost by 3 goals or more to mid-table sides.
Yeah, but neither of them had all of these results in quick succession. Whenever they did, they bounced back. Only winners know how to bounce back. Poch doesn’t know how to bounce back because he’s not a winner.

Whilst I am hesitant about the idea now, remember klopp had a bad season with Dortmund and Chelsea under Jose in his last season left them down in the second half of the premier league table.
People bring up Klopp in his final season as an example, yet the same people fail to mention that he lost Lewandowski and Goetze to Bayern and Reus and Gundogan to injuries.

Poch not only added new players to his team, but he also kept Son, Kane and Ericksen. There is no comparison. Poch isn’t the man for job simply because he doesn’t know how to arrest a slide. And recently, United have been in free fall.

P. fecking S. I’m so pissed that we won’t be challenging for a Top 4 this season with Spurs being out of it and Chelsea being coached by a novice and Arsenal being Arsenal.

Instead we’re headed to a midtable finish at best. The Top 4 is there for the taking and yet we have to write it off because our manager is completely incompetent.

This is why you need a winner as a team manager, for that extra boost in moments like these.
/rant

Mainoldo

Poch.. but Caf would have demanded him fired if they had been supporting Spurs atm, so.. who knows.
He should be fired by Spurs. Reality check. Not every manager is going to last 20 plus years like Fergie.

red thru&thru

Getting players in early would've been great and Woodward got quite a few in early. But some big money transfers were complicated hence taking longer than expected to complete.

The bigger issue is the players that weren't deemed good enough and were let go in favour of players that were inferior. Nani, Hernandez, Rafael, Januzaj, Evans, Blind etc would be starting games for us currently. Their exits were managerial decisions.

Then look at the players that were bought, with Mourinho's purchases in particular being awful with the exception of a few. Matic, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof, Bailly, Fred etc and it's pretty clear to me that our managers have cost us big time with their decision making with Woodward the scape-goat.
I totally agree. Managers have made some horrendous decisions and should take blame. But my issue with Ed is, he's seen this. He's not thought to modernise the structure and get in line with the way football has moved. Instead, we are trying this old model of the manager choosing his players and then also coaching them. Like many have already said, Fergie was in essence a DoF. He very rarely coached. He was a brilliant man manager. Even his tactics he pretty much left to his 2nd in charge, especially Carlos.

But as Ed is in charge of the football decisions, he rightly has to take the flack for this. He's the man who makes the decisions.

red thru&thru

That’s Manchester United not Only Ed. We’re still waiting for Benzema, Robben and Ronaldinho to arrive. Not to list a numerous of other targets. Remember the Sneijder saga. That wasn’t Ed’s reign. I don’t rate our board but I wish people would stop lying.
Lying about what?

red thru&thru

Benzema, Robben and Ronaldinho all went to their respective clubs early enough and we either brought other targeted players in, such as CR7, or we never brought anyone in. Not exactly unheard of. Especially at that time when we were a winning team and we didn't need to bring in raft of players.

Mainoldo

Benzema, Robben and Ronaldinho all went to their respective clubs early enough and we either brought other targeted players in, such as CR7, or we never brought anyone in. Not exactly unheard of. Especially at that time when we were a winning team and we didn't need to bring in raft of players.
If we didn’t play sporting in that friendly we would have been happy to watch Ronaldo for another 12 months like most clubs in Europe. So we would have not got Ronaldinho and brought no one. We lost out on Eden Hazard and then Lucus and we brought in Who Obertan? So once again not doing our job. Shall we continue this debate?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I totally agree. Managers have made some horrendous decisions and should take blame. But my issue with Ed is, he's seen this. He's not thought to modernise the structure and get in line with the way football has moved. Instead, we are trying this old model of the manager choosing his players and then also coaching them. Like many have already said, Fergie was in essence a DoF. He very rarely coached. He was a brilliant man manager. Even his tactics he pretty much left to his 2nd in charge, especially Carlos.

But as Ed is in charge of the football decisions, he rightly has to take the flack for this. He's the man who makes the decisions.
I'm in favour of us appointing a DoF and believe it would help us in the long run. But having said that, I also believe our current way of doing things could work aswell if a Manager with the potential of Nagelsmann or Rose is given the reigns. I'm also led to believe that our recruitment strategy is in the process of shifting to a committe style approach which will be interesting.

red thru&thru

If we didn’t play sporting in that friendly we would have been happy to watch Ronaldo for another 12 months like most clubs in Europe. So we would have not got Ronaldinho and brought no one. We lost out on Eden Hazard and then Lucus and we brought in Who Obertan? So once again not doing our job. Shall we continue this debate?
Yes, please let's debate. Under Fergie, after 92, what was the longest period we went without a title?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The manager that has impressed me as much as any is Brendan Rogers. He’s transformed Leicester since last January.

I know I’ll get pilloried for this view but he’s clearly a bloody good manager. His players are smashing it for him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
A very good chance of getting Poch. I hope the clowns running the club are keeping tabs

red4ever 79

The manager that has impressed me as much as any is Brendan Rogers. He’s transformed Leicester since last January.

I know I’ll get pilloried for this view but he’s clearly a bloody good manager. His players are smashing it for him.
Of course he is a good manager, That season at Liverpool when they came close with Sterling, Suarez and Sturiddge was impressive. Ok Celtic is not such a difficult job but you can see all his teams play the same style, identity and you can clearly see they have been coached and they are playing for their manager

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Of course he is a good manager, That season at Liverpool when they came close with Sterling, Suarez and Sturiddge was impressive. Ok Celtic is not such a difficult job but you can see all his teams play the same style, identity and you can clearly see they have been coached and they are playing for their manager
It is interesting to compare the fortunes of Leicester and Utd in the last 10 months. Both new managers. One has imposed his quality on a team the other has shown he isn’t up to the job.

I guess what I was saying is I’d take Rogers over most of the other managers being mentioned here any day of the week, even taking into account his association with Liverpool.

Bestietom

He is certainly getting the best out of his players now.

red thru&thru

Not outside the top 3
So we had a team there or there abouts. Only needed a few additions and not wholesale changes like the squads under Ed's time.

After all, we have been a failure as a football team under Ed's reign. He is in charge, he has to take the responsibility.

Mainoldo

So we had a team there or there abouts. Only needed a few additions and not wholesale changes like the squads under Ed's time.

After all, we have been a failure as a football team under Ed's reign. He is in charge, he has to take the responsibility.
You built me up for this :lol:. We finished 2nd the previous year when Ole took over... He decided to get rid of everybody!

Nikelesh Reddy

A very good chance of getting Poch. I hope the clowns running the club are keeping tabs
He’s my first choice as well,but Spurs will not sack him.Even if Spurs finish 10th this season(unlikely) they will still stick with Pochettino.Our only hope is if Pochettino does with Klopp did to Dortmund 4 seasons ago....If Pochettino feels that he can’t acheive more at Spurs and if he decides to walk away,then we may be in with a shout....

red thru&thru

He’s my first choice as well,but Spurs will not sack him.Even if Spurs finish 10th this season(unlikely) they will still stick with Pochettino.Our only hope is if Pochettino does with Klopp did to Dortmund 4 seasons ago....If Pochettino feels that he can’t acheive more at Spurs and if he decides to walk away,then we may be in with a shout....
Spurs will probably not sack him, as they'll probably know we're after him and will want compensation! But will be interesting to see what Spurs will do?!

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Jose’s first year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You want Poch or Allegri?
I don't really know, I'm tempted to say Pochettino because he is still relatively young and from a club stature United would a step up, we have worse than Tottenham but United is still the richer and bigger club which means that it would be a new challenge for him. When for Allegri United is just an other big historical club after Milan and Juventus. Neither are particularly attacking, so I don't really take style into account and they have both shown good man management skills.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I don't really know, I'm tempted to say Pochettino because he is still relatively young and from a club stature United would a step up, we have worse than Tottenham but United is still the richer and bigger club which means that it would be a new challenge for him. When for Allegri United is just an other big historical club after Milan and Juventus. Neither are particularly attacking, so I don't really take style into account and they have both shown good man management skills.
Guess I'm looking for answers as I really don't know myself. Tempted by Poch whereas Allegri has his teams playing a type of football I'd rather we don't. Solskjær is surely on the brink regardless.

Guapa

No one will improve us with the Glazers and Woodward in charge.We need a sugar daddy/super fan/oil state intervention here.