United’s next manager

Enigma_87

You know who
And then it'll be another season or two before we see success under whoever comes in.

Then there'll be the usual bleating: " Give him time, give him the money, wait until he gets the players he wants...." Heard it before with all the others and it'll be the same with a new coach
And you expect us to see success with Ole for shorter amount of period?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Its a no brainer. Ole isnt the guy to take us forward, we all know he is limited. Us getting Poch IMO is a matter of when, not if. Likely sooner than later not really contingent on anything cuz both parties want to make it happen so its only a matter of time.
Rather Marco Rose TBH

Infra-red

Pochettino looks like he needs a break. I expect he'll take the rest of the season off and look to come back refreshed next year, possibly in Madrid.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This is a natural alignment now - Poch as manager with Ole taking the DOF role. Keeps Ed happy as he won't have a DOF who will upset him and Ole to be fair has made a good start with his signings.

Inigo Montoya

And you expect us to see success with Ole for shorter amount of period?
He's not going anywhere. He's here for the season. We better get used to it.

Poch's sacking will only raise more questions about his coaching than answers

Inigo Montoya

I
Pochettino looks like he needs a break. I expect he'll take the rest of the season off and look to come back refreshed next year, possibly in Madrid.
I think this will be the best move for him. I can see him ending up at RM.

Let's face it, with his severance package why should he rush into a job?

TRUERED89

Speaking on his appointment, Jose said: “I am excited to be joining a Club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters.
--------------------------------------------------------------
GTFOH Jose :lol:... He pissed on our "heritage", apparently all it was, was regularly getting knocked out of the CL. Clown

mancave bear

Is beating some poor teams under a coach that will ultimately fail and be sacked at the end of the season progress?

I'd rather we lose now, appoint Pochettino and actually start building a team.

If anything I'm asking for progress. Short term pain for long term gain.
You are the one who is thinking short term.

We have just started a total makeover with a new manager. In order to get new players Ole had to get rid of a lot of old players, without getting the same amount of players back in. He had to rely on young academy players. That will guarantee you inconsistent results, taking us through some ruff waters.

Thankfully Ole had the guts and backbone to go thru with it, doing the tuff and verry little gratefull job.

And now, after less than a year and only 3 players transferred in, some "fans" start jumping ship.

That is thinking short term ; )

Enigma_87

You know who
He's not going anywhere. He's here for the season. We better get used to it.

Poch's sacking will only raise more questions about his coaching than answers
People were asking what's the alternative when you sack Ole, as one of the main defense points of not sacking him - well there you are - you have a good manager and a coach, with PL experience and playing the way United fans would like.

You are ready to walk on it and continue with the rookie manager at helm which inevitable will fail at some point?

NickSantigo

If we have any serious ambition we need to appoint Poch now. Klopp was appointed this time of year iirc

The season is pretty much written off in the league. Give him time to impose his style of play. We will hopefully see better football in the back end of the season and may even win the Europa League. It also allows him time to identify what our major weaknesses are and allow us to identify targets to rectify this. We will then be in a much stronger position for next season.

As opposed to missing out on him or waiting until the summer and trying to do all of the above in a preseason

We failed to act when Klopp was available, let's hope we don't make the same mistake again

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He wasn't fired for that. He has lost the players in the same way Jose lost them at Chelsea and Utd.

His time had finished at Spurs, he knew it and the hierarchy knew it
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50480860

"We were extremely reluctant to make this change. It is not a decision the board has taken lightly, nor in haste," said Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

"Regrettably domestic results at the end of last season and beginning of this season have been extremely disappointing.

"It falls on the board to make the difficult decisions - this one made more so given the many memorable moments we have had with Mauricio and his coaching staff - but we do so in the club's best interests."

-----------

I wonder how that compares with let say Ole's

Inigo Montoya

No
People were asking what's the alternative when you sack Ole, as one of the main defense points of not sacking him - well there you are - you have a good manager and a coach, with PL experience and playing the way United fans would like.

You are ready to walk on it and continue with the rookie manager at helm which inevitable will fail at some point?
Not me but the Utd board.
I’m cynical to the point where i don’t see success under the present ownership.

I’m not convinced by Poch, I don’t see where he could take us. Spurs didn’t have the same expectation but he did brilliantly. We will be under so much scrutiny, I’m not sure he could cope.

I’m more in Marco Roses camp than Poch but no doubt he will have his detractors

devilish

This is a natural alignment now - Poch as manager with Ole taking the DOF role. Keeps Ed happy as he won't have a DOF who will upset him and Ole to be fair has made a good start with his signings.
Do we need a DOF who unearths EPL proven players?

Inigo Montoya

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50480860

"We were extremely reluctant to make this change. It is not a decision the board has taken lightly, nor in haste," said Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

"Regrettably domestic results at the end of last season and beginning of this season have been extremely disappointing.

"It falls on the board to make the difficult decisions - this one made more so given the many memorable moments we have had with Mauricio and his coaching staff - but we do so in the club's best interests."

-----------

I wonder how that compares with let say Ole's
I don’t understand how the two compare without looking at the bigger picture. They felt he wasn’t taking them anywhere further and all the noises he made suggested that he wasn’t happy with the squad, the spending etc. He clearly couldn’t motivate the side . The results are just one facet, it was his squad,his tactics etc. With Ole we know he needs to clear out a whole lot of deadwood

Enigma_87

You know who
No

Not me but the Utd board.
I’m cynical to the point where i don’t see success under the present ownership.

I’m not convinced by Poch, I don’t see where he could take us. Spurs didn’t have the same expectation but he did brilliantly. We will be under so much scrutiny, I’m not sure he could cope.

I’m more in Marco Roses camp than Poch but no doubt he will have his detractors
Rose and Nagelsmann most likely won't be available until the Summer at least, maybe won't be available after and there is also Bayern in the picture when it comes to an appealing place to be.

We have a real possibility to get a good manager in, being available, without paying a good severance package.

Inigo Montoya

That game against Spurs will be super interesting now. If Ole beats Jose, will Jose meltdown, if Jose beat Ole will the fans turn their fury on Woodward.
It will go either way, guaranteed

We will be well up to beat them but Jose will set up for counter attacking, it’s his way. Thing is with Kane an Son, he’s better set up than he was st Utd

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We will be well up to beat them but Jose will set up for counter attacking, it’s his way. Thing is with Kane an Son, he’s better set up than he was st Utd
Agreed. I think Jose will be very dangerous with Spurs' current squad. Hopefully the match will be too early for Jose to fully put his stamp on the team as I think Jose will be successful at spurs, until he falls out with Levy over transfer funds.

Mr Smith

For me, we need to be working on drawing up a list of candidates to potentially replace Ole for next season. There's always a slight chance Ole could pull things together, but we have to prepare for the worst. Right now there are two genuinely top managers available in Poch and Allegri. We need to decide if we want either, and start making our initial approaches.

We also need to start reaching out to managers already in jobs but that interest us. I for one would want to be tapping up Marco Rose and his situation.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We need to decide if we want either, and start making our initial approaches.

We also need to start reaching out to managers already in jobs but that interest us. I for one would want to be tapping up Marco Rose and his situation.
Because that will really help right now. If Ole is our manager he needs total support until the day comes where he needs to go. Tapping up other managers now is wrong for everyone. Undermining Ole would be a terrible thing to do.

devilish

I don’t understand how the two compare without looking at the bigger picture. They felt he wasn’t taking them anywhere further and all the noises he made suggested that he wasn’t happy with the squad, the spending etc. He clearly couldn’t motivate the side . The results are just one facet, it was his squad,his tactics etc. With Ole we know he needs to clear out a whole lot of deadwood
Well you can compare the two by having a look at the results during the end of last season and the beginning of this season

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
And then it'll be another season or two before we see success under whoever comes in.

Then there'll be the usual bleating: " Give him time, give him the money, wait until he gets the players he wants...." Heard it before with all the others and it'll be the same with a new coach
It will be worse. Posters here continually bash Ole for how we ended last season, so if Poch came in now and kept us limping forward then i can guarantee you most of these same posters would want him gone if he failed to miraculously improve us overnight. Unless you of course hold them to completely different standards and you are a massive hypocrite

Bestietom

It will be worse. Posters here continually bash Ole for how we ended last season, so if Poch came in now and kept us limping forward then i can guarantee you most of these same posters would want him gone if he failed to miraculously improve us overnight. Unless you of course hold them to completely different standards and you are a massive hypocrite
Changing the rebuilding philosophy and different playing styles again will only push us back another 3/4 years. keep Ole and let him do the rebuilding Job he has started.

Mainoldo

Changing the rebuilding philosophy and different playing styles again will only push us back another 3/4 years. keep Ole and let him do the rebuilding Job he has started.
I wonder if Levy was thinking the same thing. Let’s see who’s rebuilding takes place quicker. Ole’s or Jose’s. I guarantee you they finish above us next season if the same managers remain.

lsd

The Oracle
I wonder if Levy was thinking the same thing. Let’s see who’s rebuilding takes place quicker. Ole’s or Jose’s. I guarantee you they finish above us next season if the same managers remain.

How do you guarentee this ?

Mainoldo

Poch is wasn’t given 12 months to contribute shite. He earned his years at Spurs which is why it was a hard decision. Half the fan base wouldn’t blink an eye lid if Ole got sacked tomorrow.

Mainoldo

How do you guarentee this ?
Comeback to me in a year or both managers are in-charge. We’ll be where we currently are blaming 3 summer signing transfer window as usual whilst Spurs will look like a solid team.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Jose is a bizarre appointment for Spurs. He failed the rebuilding job badly with us with much more money available so why on earth would they hire him if that is the goal?

Jose will no doubt improve their results in the short term, but considering Joses personality, the financial restraints hes got there and how Levy likes to run the shop i would say there is a cats chance in hell that Jose will "rebuild" them to any extent

Enigma_87

You know who
Bollocks. First of all some managers have earned their time at a club or even at a new job like Poch. The rest were parachuted to the job due being a former player and having previous stints in Norway and Cardiff.

Of course if a credible manager should have different standard that the one we currently have and is for a reason. Respect and time are earned - not given.

Also according to which standard it is ok United to be on 16 points after 12 games and not call for the manager to being sacked?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm not sold on Pochettino as United's next manager. He had years at Spurs and couldn't win one. They never looked like winning the two cup finals they played in under him and they lost an FA Cup semi against United pretty meekly under him too.

Bestietom

I wouldn't bet on it, mate. Some players might not take to Mourinho, and we've seen how this can pan out.

Sanchez7

Bollocks. First of all some managers have earned their time at a club or even at a new job like Poch. The rest were parachuted to the job due being a former player and having previous stints in Norway and Cardiff.

Of course if a credible manager should have different standard that the one we currently have and is for a reason. Respect and time are earned - not given.

Also according to which standard it is ok United to be on 16 points after 12 games and not call for the manager to being sacked?
Agree with this.

I hope the board can look at the long term picture and realise that a chance to sign a proven manager doesn't come along often. We should have fired LVG when Klopp was available and now we should be in for Poch.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not sold on Pochettino as United's next manager. He had years at Spurs and couldn't win one. They never looked like winning the two cup finals they played in under him and they lost an FA Cup semi against United pretty meekly under him too.
Agree with this largely.

Pochettino hasn't won anything and has failed at every final hurdle (or before) in doing so. Yes he's done wonders on a small budget but so have other managers and won things. The first time in his 5 year stint at Tottenham he's encountered a divided dressing room and poor results, and he's been completely unable to turn it around, despite a large majority of the players owing him their careers. For me that says a lot about how he fairs when times are difficult and I just don't believe he has the ruthlessness or cutting edge to win league titles.

I'd even go as far to say Rodgers is a better appointment than him. At least he has experienced the expectation of winning and the grind that goes with being top of the league and everyone wanting to beat you. It may only be Scotland but he knows exactly how to keep a team on track and focussed.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Its a no brainer. Ole isnt the guy to take us forward, we all know he is limited. Us getting Poch IMO is a matter of when, not if. Likely sooner than later not really contingent on anything cuz both parties want to make it happen so its only a matter of time.
It's not a no brainer.

Uprooting the plan YET again isn't the way forward. Picking YET another manager isn't the way forward. Picking one that has never won a thing and doesn't have the mentality to want to win everything is not the way forward.

There are as many question marks over Poch and his ability as there are with Ole.

People point to the whole 'he did wonders with a small budget' but then they did the exact same thing with David Moyes and look how that turned out.