United’s next manager

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A good structure and being well run is important but it is worth pointing out that Liverpool weren't a particularly well run when Klopp took over, the year before they had sold Suarez and replaced him with Balotelli and Lambert and the summer before sold the best English talent of his generation to a rival. What they did was get themselves a brilliant manager which gave them the room and time to sort themselves out.

The issue for United is that badly run clubs make bad managerial appointments and we have done that every time (it's nonsense to suggest Mourinho didn't fail despite him aiming for short-term results and still never making us look like a coherent team despite scraping a few wins against shite teams in the Europa League). If we do somehow make the right appointment next time, personally I would go for one of Rose or Nagelsmann for their potential and ability to bring more modern ideas, then they would solve a lot of problems and would potentially push us to sort out the structural problems.
Liverpool changed their structure to suit Klopp.

Nagelsmann or Rose would force a change in structure but it remains to be seen if they can replicate Klopp's success. But i'd be much more confident if either/or, were in charge due to their potential and body of work which hasn't gone unnoticed.

Runaway Sue

And the Ole love is based on getting the next SAF.
Would any noggie take Magnus Haglund as a manager after Ole? He has spent a lot of time in norway so you should be well aware who he is and that he is clearly the better managert. Hows your though?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Liverpool changed their structure to suit Klopp.

Nagelsmann or Rose would force a change in structure but it remains to be seen if they can replicate Klopp's success. But i'd be much more confident if either/or, were in charge due to their potential and body of work which hasn't gone unnoticed.
Will we really change our structure though? I mean our CEO promised us a DOF when he made Ole permanent. HE LIED. TO OUR FACES. And also got away with it. No matter what we fans think we are about as influential in the decisions that really affect the club as a fly in the matter of being swatted. I mean we are only club, in the PL which does not have a DOF, other than bloody Newcastle. We have refused to change over time. The concentration of power in the hands of non footballing people at our club is unlike any other major club in the world right now. If we can consider ourselves major i.e.
Rose/ Nagelsmann/any modern manager worth their salt will want a modern set up before they say yes to us. Will we do that? Will Ed relinquish his vice like grip over our footballing affairs? I don't think so. If we had a DOF, OLE would have been fired long back.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Poch will be the boss on first day of next season I reckon. They will give Ole till May and move him on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Will we really change our structure though? I mean our CEO promised us a DOF when he made Ole permanent. HE LIED. TO OUR FACES. And also got away with it. No matter what we fans think we are about as influential in the decisions that really affect the club as a fly in the matter of being swatted. I mean we are only club, in the PL which does not have a DOF, other than bloody Newcastle. We have refused to change over time. The concentration of power in the hands of non footballing people at our club is unlike any other major club in the world right now. If we can consider ourselves major i.e.
Rose/ Nagelsmann/any modern manager worth their salt will want a modern set up before they say yes to us. Will we do that? Will Ed relinquish his vice like grip over our footballing affairs? I don't think so. If we had a DOF, OLE would have been fired long back.
I don't think the structure will change under someone like Poch due to his reluctance to work under a sporting director. So for that reason alone, I hope we stay away from him. And I can't see any other big club giving him anything more than a head coach's role either.

I don't think Woodward would be against a DoF at all tbh with you. The issue seems to be our managers who seem to prefer a more hands on approach and Woodward caters to their needs. I think it would take someone like a Nagelsmann, Rose or Tuchel etc to be appointed to see a change in our structure because I believe they'll ask to work with a DoF type figure to plan for the immediate/longterm. It's also been reported in recent years that we've shown interest in the Atletico Madrid DoF Berta whilst Mourinho was in charge so I do think we've seriously contemplated bringing one in.

AshRK

No, he failed.

His transfer dealing were borderline atrocious and he was fired for underperformance. He failed
If we were expecting him to win title or CL then yes he failed but looking realistically he was our best manager since SAF retired. Now that does not say much as I also feel Jose of all the managers since SAF's departure was the biggest disappointment.

Craig Ward

If we were expecting him to win title or CL then yes he failed but looking realistically he was our best manager since SAF retired. Now that does not say much as I also feel Jose of all the managers since SAF's departure was the biggest disappointment.
At the bare minimum i'd expect any manager to leave the club in a better state at the end of the reign than it was at the beginning to be considered a success.

Jose failed, big time

AshRK

At the bare minimum i'd expect any manager to leave the club in a better state at the end of the reign than it was at the beginning to be considered a success.

Jose failed, big time
Jose was never that type of a manager to leave his team in a better shape. He was a wrong appointment then, but hindsight can be funny. Jose was appointed to give us a short term success and he somewhat did that but his 3rd season eradicated everything. Had he left at the end of second season people would have a different opinion of his stint.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No, he failed.

His transfer dealing were borderline atrocious and he was fired for underperformance. He failed
He somewhat failed, yes... however Zlatan and Pogba are best players this club had in years and he was able to get them while being in Europa League thanks to Louie van Gaal's truly atrocious transfer dealings.

After 10-20 years people will only remember the success in club's trophy room and Jose delivered with unbalanced squad, something that Ole may not even remotely come close to.

Jose pretty much never leaves the club without a one or two trophy celebrations, the failure lies in decision to appoint such type of manager when team was begging to be built from scratch.

Mainoldo

Jose failed, big time
If a manager gets sacked more than likely they’ve messed up somewhere. But Jose didn’t not fail; If Jose failed.. what the hell is Ole doing?

I think Poch is our best bet, i dont think the likes of Rose, Nagelsmann and Ten Hag would come here under this current structure, they're used to working with a DOF and we dont appear to be getting one anytime soon.

Thepinhead

I think Poch is our best bet, i dont think the likes of Rose, Nagelsmann and Ten Hag would come here under this current structure, they're used to working with a DOF and we dont appear to be getting one anytime soon.
Couldn't you say the same about Poch? I might be wrong but I just can't see what Poch or any manager could do much better with this squad. We have been through Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Solskjaer and none of them have figured it out. Doubt Poch will either.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Cant see any of the top tier managers coming to United.

They all want a few hundred million to build a team these days.

It will be some manager on a downward spiral like Blanc or some unproven manager like Howie.

Couldn't you say the same about Poch? I might be wrong but I just can't see what Poch or any manager could do much better with this squad. We have been through Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Solskjaer and none of them have figured it out. Doubt Poch will either.
Poch doesn't like working with a DOF apparently, we know he can improve players and get us playing cohesively which is what we need.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Feels like the end is near now.

Managers? I’m certain that Ed won’t even bother looking beyond Poch and I’m not certain he’s the best choice either.

TheGodsInRed

Of course they would do better with someone who can implement a style of play and coach the players effectively.

It would unlikely improve the woeful player recruitment, so I am not staying we would win the league. But we can be top four.

spiriticon

Marcelo Bielsa if Ole has to go. I mean, we've at least GOT to be an upgrade on Leeds right?

L1nk

Would take either one of Marco Rose or Pochettino, would prefer Marco Rose.

L1nk

Hopefully the glazers are thinking alike. I'd also thrown in Naglesmann / Tuchel.
I'd take Nagelsmann as well but i get the feeling he will be 100% Bayern bound at some point soon. I wanted Tuchel when he was free, and would still gladly take him, but feel like Marco Rose would be a better option and more attainable

podurban2

Even if we get Marco Rose, the state this club is run is scary. Something needs to fundamentally change.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Feels like the end is near now.

Managers? I’m certain that Ed won’t even bother looking beyond Poch and I’m not certain he’s the best choice either.
I want Poch but this is what I'm worried about.

There is no guarantee that - if we sack Ole - Poch agrees to come here, and it could see us/Ed scrambling for a last minute appointment with no long term plan. Again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I want Poch but this is what I'm worried about.

There is no guarantee that - if we sack Ole - Poch agrees to come here, and it could see us/Ed scrambling for a last minute appointment with no long term plan. Again.
I want us to go through a proper process next time, not just give the job to the first person that comes to mind.

I’m not convinced by Poch, particularly his record in big games. I’ve never liked his midfield choices either and that worries me as we need someone to see how cack our midfield is. We need fresh eyes

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
I'd take Nagelsmann as well but i get the feeling he will be 100% Bayern bound at some point soon. I wanted Tuchel when he was free, and would still gladly take him, but feel like Marco Rose would be a better option and more attainable
I think as long as United has little to no structure and this mess what should be "a concept", no DOF etc, there will be no way to get coaches like Nagelsmann or Tuchel. That Klopp laughs his ass off and said "no thanks" some time ago says all. This will continue.

Btw: Liverpool seems to have a new sponsor or shirt deal which is bigger than the current of United. Things starting to show consequences..the tide is turning. Woodward and the Glazers never realised that no club is too big too fail and are thinking they can run the club by just being lazy and let the things happen, that United is good is some force of nature. God Woodward must be so clueless and lazy, how this club is running is like watching a car accident where you feel the pain but can't take your eyes off.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I want us to go through a proper process next time, not just give the job to the first person that comes to mind.

I’m not convinced by Poch, particularly his record in big games. I’ve never liked his midfield choices either and that worries me as we need someone to see how cack our midfield is. We need fresh eyes
I completely agree with your first point.

As for your points about Poch, I share your concerns about his records in big games, and the fact that he's seemingly never took the domestic cups seriously, but I personally have liked his midfield choices. If memory serves me correctly, he's always had a defensively sound player alongside a press resistant CM who recycles the ball well, with a proper playmaker in front.

At Southampton, he had Wanyama and/or Schneiderlin as the defensive ball winners, Cork/Davies as the press resistant recyclers, and Lallana as the primary playmaker just ahead.

At Spurs, he had Wanyama/Dier/Sissoko as the defensive ball winners, Dembele/Winks as the press resistant recyclers, and Eriksen as the primary playmaker just ahead.

For me, I've always thought he got the midfield balance of his team right. He favours CMs who are strong on and off the ball, who work hard in their pressing, and who can unleash the forwards/attackers with quick balls forwards, and just by virtue of giving the forwards more freedom to attack by how well the cover the ground behind them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think as long as United has little to no structure and this mess what should be "a concept", no DOF etc, there will be no way to get coaches like Nagelsmann or Tuchel. That Klopp laughs his ass off and said "no thanks" some time ago says all. This will continue.

Btw: Liverpool seems to have a new sponsor or shirt deal which is bigger than the current of United. Things starting to show consequences..the tide is turning. Woodward and the Glazers never realised that no club is too big too fail and are thinking they can run the club by just being lazy and let the things happen, that United is good is some force of nature. God Woodward must be so clueless and lazy, how this club is running is like watching a car accident where you feel the pain but can't take your eyes off.
They renewed shirt sponsorship deal which is worth 40 million per year, ManUtd signed with Chevrolet which was back in 2012 or 2013 which is worth even more.

If it's Nike deal, there is no fixed number, Base fee is way less, around 30 million + 20 percent royalties for merchandise sales, five percent for footwear. It's worth around 70 million +.

Last edited:

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
They renewed shirt sponsorship deal which is worth 40 million per year, ManUtd signed with Chevrolet which was back in 2012 or 2013 which is worth even more.

If it's Nike deal, there is no fixed number, Base fee is way less, around 30 million + 20 percent royalties for merchandise sales, five percent for footwear. It's worth around 70 million +.
Its not a reliable source, but Sportbild (citing a english newspaper) says:
94 Million Euros for Liverpoool per year, more than Uniteds 88 Millions per year.

My point is: Woodward and Co never were thinking of a concept, a DoF or only the slightest thing which is important to and how to run a football club. They simply let things happen. The money comes in so why do something? React some time some little when its obvious and too late, and try to keep the fans calm for example by hiring an old United player as a coach, speaking about some major transfers (but doing nothing in the end or face the fact that they are already without a chance cause everybody in the football world sees what happens with the club, like the case Haaland, or Sancho in the future. Also not getting Kloppp in the first place is a consequence of that) and so on.
Now the financial impacts of this rotting way of runing a club are slowly coming around the corner.

roonster09

Scout
Its not a reliable source, but Sportbild (citing a english newspaper) says:
94 Million Euros for Liverpoool per year, more than Uniteds 88 Millions per year.

My point is: Woodward and Co never were thinking of a concept, a DoF or only the slightest thing which is important to and how to run a football club. They simply let things happen. The money comes in so why do something? React some time some little when its obvious and too late, and try to keep the fans calm for example by hiring an old United player as a coach, speaking about some major transfers (but doing nothing in the end or face the fact that they are already without a chance cause everybody in the football world sees what happens with the club, like the case Haaland, or Sancho in the future. Also not getting Kloppp in the first place is a consequence of that) and so on.
Now the financial impacts of this rotting way of runing a club are slowly coming around the corner.
Woodward lacking in many areas is not something new, the numbers I shared was reported by Liverpool journalist.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Woodward lacking in many areas is not something new, the numbers I shared was reported by Liverpool journalist.
So do you think that these numbers are like a alarm sign for Woodward and Co?
My thesis is: They never were thinking of ambitious football, but only of money. And somehow believed that United is too big to fail and money will continue to float in no matter what. Now they face the truth that Uniteds decline leads also to a decline in money, slowly but surely.

roonster09

Scout
So do you think that these numbers are like a alarm sign for Woodward and Co?
My thesis is: They never were thinking of ambitious football, but only of money. And somehow believed that United is too big to fail and money will continue to float in no matter what. Now they face the truth that Uniteds decline leads also to a decline in money, slowly but surely.
I don't think these numbers are alarm or anything close to that. The deal ManUtd signed was long back, it was around 6-8 years back. Any big club that signs new contract now would be close or should be more than what was signed back then.

It's not that they think only about money, we spent more than any club except City and spend 2nd or 3rd most in wages. It's just that we have incompetent people running the club.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ten Haag, Tuchel, Rose, Pochettino and Nagglesman are the blokes I think you should look at. Just don't look too hard at Ten Haag as I'd like him at Barcelona when the board sees sense and ditches Valverde.

podurban2

Ten Haag, Tuchel, Rose, Pochettino and Nagglesman are the blokes I think you should look at.
That would be great and all, but as long as the board and Ed Woodward are making decisions at this club we are doomed.

arthurka

Marcelo Bielsa if Ole has to go. I mean, we've at least GOT to be an upgrade on Leeds right?
He would be a massive step in the right direction. At least you would see who is up for a fight quickly as he drills players to hell and back. Him or Poch would be a massive upgrade on the Smiling Noggie .

Denis' cuff

Eight from top ten threads right now are more or less focussed on the manager

fecking unreal.

Yes, I'm sure we could recruit a better coach/manager, maybe - but what better coach/manager would come here, now, under these fecking parasites who have zero interest in the clubs football? Klopp already turned us down as did Pep in NY and again has made it quite clear he wouldn't come near the place. It's a lot worse now than back then and still getting worse. Their pure focus is to bleed every cent out of the club as possible. They sit around in Florida, remote and untouchable whilst LVG, Jose, Ole and yes, even EW do their bidding and cop the flak. They want fecking shooting, never mind flying planes and banners over the ground. They need a fecking straightener.

We could get Poch in, though. That'd work.

Mainoldo

Why haven’t we been linked with anyone. That’s the worrying thing!