United aiming to sell Harry Maguire next summer according to Jamie Jackson

Sviken

He’s worth a lot more than £20m. Only obstacle is his wages.
To who is he worth more than 20m? How many PL teams are going to take him in their starting 11? He's slow, has a strong lapse of judgment, bad concentration and is generally not a very good physical defender despite his size

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
40m should break us even accounting-wise if his asset value depreciation is straight line (he'd have been here for half his 'main' contract).

That would be OK by me.
Next summer there will only be 26m on the books.

Won’t be any negotiation skills involved with selling Maguire. We will put him up for sale, interested clubs will make their bids, the one willing to bid the most at the end of it will get him.

Problem is most teams are looking for ball playing CBs. And especially ball playing left footed CBs. In addition, you can only sell a player to a club he wants to go to. Some teams will show interest in Maguire. To get any more than 15-20m for him, we need to have two attractive teams interested in buying Maguire.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Next summer there will only be 26m on the books.

Won’t be any negotiation skills involved with selling Maguire. We will put him up for sale, interested clubs will make their bids, the one willing to bid the most at the end of it will get him.

Problem most teams are looking for ball playing CBs. And especially ball playing left footed CBs.
Ah, good point on that. Don't know how I got to half a contract... I keep thinking it's still 2022 :lol:

pogbasformerbarber

I thought he was very good for us his first two seasons and a look back at his metrics prove this out (as long as one has some belief in such things). Those saying he was the "worst PL signing ever" or a total bust are a little mad IMHO, and I believe are suffering from some acute recency bias. There's been worse in the very near past.

He's simply declined at a rapid pace recently and doesn't fit ETH's style. Thats really it. He still plays better for the national team system, and should have plenty of interest for a decent fee (I think $40MM is certainly reachable). I think folks forget our CB state before he came. It was a mess, and he actually brought a level of stability.

If we do sell for $40MM I think his play the first few seasons plus his level as a sub for the last few seasons creates a fine/ok purchase, hardly close to a disaster. But even $20-$30MM is a fine recoup. I think its a little crazy to assume you can buy a 26 year old and sell him flat or for a profit 4 season later...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I thought he was very good for us his first two seasons and a look back at his metrics prove this out (as long as one has some belief in such things). Those saying he was the "worst PL signing ever" or a total bust are a little mad IMHO, and I believe are suffering from some acute recency bias. There's been worse in the very near past.

He's simply declined at a rapid pace recently and doesn't fit ETH's style. Thats really it. He still plays better for the national team system, and should have plenty of interest for a decent fee (I think $40MM is certainly reachable). I think folks forget our CB state before he came. It was a mess, and he actually brought a level of stability.

If we do sell for $40MM I think his play the first few seasons plus his level as a sub for the last few seasons creates a fine/ok purchase, hardly close to a disaster. But even $20-$30MM is a fine recoup. I think its a little crazy to assume you can buy a 26 year old and sell him flat or for a profit 4 season later...
Throughout his united career, Maguire has shifted from half decent at best to shit. We must not forget the amount of patience shown as he was 'recovering' from the mess caused in Greece.

He did have some rare solid matches but most came in a very defensive minded Manchester united who played a deep line defence, McFred in midfield and relied heavily on counter attack football.

Looking back Maguire would have failed even as a squad player let alone as an 80m signing

Irwin99

Throughout his united career, Maguire has shifted from half decent at best to shit. We must not forget the amount of patience shown as he was 'recovering' from the mess caused in Greece.

He did have some rare solid matches but most came in a very defensive minded Manchester united who played a deep line defence, McFred in midfield and relied heavily on counter attack football.

Looking back Maguire would have failed even as a squad player let alone as an 80m signing
Agree. We conceded 44 goals I think in his second season and people often used to pick the argument that it was Lindelof that made him look worse, then it shifted the other way and now they're both not good enough, which is probably true.

I think he did alright in his first season but overall it was a disastrous signing, especially with the captaincy thing and the price tag. He's a good defender, especially in the right set up, but his career here has been mostly dreadful on the whole sadly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He had a pretty decent World Cup, he's terrible for us but semi decent for England. He was also pretty good before the episode in Greece for United.

He's clearly worth more than £20m, to suggest otherwise is just absurd and I don't rate the guy at all. Under the right system he's a decent defender, but for us with the system we're using he's clearly not fit for purpose. That doesn't mean his value tanks to the point where we're giving him away. There will be plenty of teams that would go in for him in my opinion and rightfully so.

mctrials23

Hes a good defender...in the right team. There is a reason he was really good in a side that sits deep and hits teams on the counter and is bloody awful in a team that wants to play higher up the pitch and needs its CB to be quick, able to turn and chase and make decisions on the fly.

AlPistacho

To who is he worth more than 20m? How many PL teams are going to take him in their starting 11? He's slow, has a strong lapse of judgment, bad concentration and is generally not a very good physical defender despite his size
I think there are managers in the prem who will want him because he suits their style of play, or they prefer to play a 3 at the back.

Ole signed him without having much of clue at what Maguire was suited to or how he wanted United to play, yet alone having any idea how to coach United to play in any “footballing” way.

So I can see teams with top 6 ambitions, or possibly one or two CL teams abroad finding Maguire interesting but only at a reasonable price.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Maguire is a good defender and good at carrying the ball and playing progressive passes. The problem is pace and agility. He cannot play in a high line - perhaps in a 3 man defence, but not a 2.

He needs to look at Thiago Silva at Chelsea and take some notes on how to defend without being done for pace every time. That probably means going to a team that plays 3 at the back, or that tend to just sit deeper in general.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think there are managers in the prem who will want him because he suits their style of play, or they prefer to play a 3 at the back.

Ole signed him without having much of clue at what Maguire was suited to or how he wanted United to play, yet alone having any idea how to coach United to play in any “footballing” way.

So I can see teams with top 6 ambitions, or possibly one or two CL teams abroad finding Maguire interesting but only at a reasonable price.
It shouldn't be forgotten that we had Bailly & Lindelof as our main centre backs, and had almost minimal aerial ability. Maguire, despite his other faults is an aerial beast.
Throw in the "British" core we were aiming for, and it's not hard to see why we went this way.

Maguire had a reputation as a ball player too.

He did have a good season and half or so here, but obviously last year was woeful beyond belief, and it's best a parting of the ways happens in the summer.

AlPistacho

It shouldn't be forgotten that we had Bailly & Lindelof as our main centre backs, and had almost minimal aerial ability. Maguire, despite his other faults is an aerial beast.
Throw in the "British" core we were aiming for, and it's not hard to see why we went this way.

Maguire had a reputation as a ball player too.

He did have a good season and half or so here, but obviously last year was woeful beyond belief, and it's best a parting of the ways happens in the summer.
His good season was when United were letting teams play and defending deep. Even then if you look at many of the goals we conceded his lack of positioning or situational awareness was a resulting factor. Anyways, can’t blame him for those things that’s the difference between him and players like Varane

PSV

This is just laughable.
How so? Doesn't fit your narrative?

First there's the importance (45 mins or more in 2018-19 league games):

Newcastle with Schar: 12 wins, 5 draw, 7 losses (50% win) - 1,70 points per game - 23 goals conceded (0,96 per game)
Newcastle without Schar: 0 wins, 4 draw, 8 losses (0% win) - 0,29 points per game - 25 goals conceded (2,08 per game)

Leicester with Maguire: 10 wins, 4 draw, 15 losses (34% win) - 1,17 points per game - 40 goals conceded (1,38 per game)
Leicester without Maguire: 5 wins, 3 draw, 1 loss (56% win) - 2,00 points per game - 8 goals conceded (0,89 per game)

Then there's the raw stats:

No point doing this year, Newcastle is undefeated and have conceded a total of 8 goals with Schar in the team. Maguire is benched by a side-back.

SinNombre

Maguire will comfortably go for 30-40m if we sell him in January to a team with money that is struggling, like West Ham.

we just need to bite that bullet and live with the decreased depth.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Inappropriate Content
Samuel Luckhurst at the PC before the Bournemouth game: “You played Luke Shaw at left center back [vs Wolves], Harry Maguire been sat on the bench, Martinez is coming back, what is your reasoning?”

He did not even mention Lindelof, who ETH have preferred many many times over Maguire. This happens almost every single PC. Samuel Luckhurst or someone else bombards ETH with questions about Harry Maguire. Honestly, what is this? Managers tend to think that a fan base have the same concerns as the journalists, ETH must think that this fan base cares more about Maguire than Manchester United. He spends like 30-50% of every PC talking about what literary de facto has been his 5th option CB this year.

And who is this Samuel Luckhurst? He wasn’t around when I followed this team the closest. He just seem to be a bit retarded.

Last edited:

darioterios

Samuel Luckhurst at the PC before the Bournemouth game: “You played Luke Shaw at left center back [vs Wolves], Harry Maguire on the bench, Martinez is coming back, what is your reasoning?”

He did not even mention Lindelof, who ETH have preferred many many times over Maguire. This happens almost every single PC. Samuel Luckhurst or someone else turns keeps bombarding ETH with questions about Harry Maguire. Honestly, what is this?
The most expensive defender in history, the captain of the biggest English football club, coming off a good WC showing for England, only to be back facing the reality of not being highly rated by the club manager, not so hard to imagine imo.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Samuel Luckhurst at the PC before the Bournemouth game: “You played Luke Shaw at left center back [vs Wolves], Harry Maguire been sat on the bench, Martinez is coming back, what is your reasoning?”

He did not even mention Lindelof, who ETH have preferred many many times over Maguire. This happens almost every single PC. Samuel Luckhurst or someone else bombards ETH with questions about Harry Maguire. Honestly, what is this? Managers tend to think that a fan base have the same concerns as the journalists, ETH must think that this fan base cares more about Maguire than Manchester United. He spends like 30-50% of every PC talking about what literary de facto has been his 5th option CB this year.

And who is this Samuel Luckhurst? He wasn’t around when I followed this team the closest. He just seem to be a bit retarded.
Luckhurst is Henderson's brother from another mother. Biased fan of Brexit FC.

VivaRonaldo85

A good solid mid table premier league defender. We hoped by signing him we could turn him into a United player but he doesn’t have all the attributes required IMO. This is demonstrated further by the class difference when Varane and Martinez play.

I don’t see him as bench player. He’ll want to play football. If he goes I’ll wish him well and see him doing very well at a West Ham, Aston Villa or the like.

OhGee

I would imagine Conte fancying Maguire at Spurs. He’s definitely better than Dier and Romero and will be well suited to the deep line that Conte plays at Spurs. It will be nice to negotiate a £50 million transfer fee with Levy but we have a bunch of idiots in our deal making team that will fold as soon as Levy opens his mouth.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
The most expensive defender in history, the captain of the biggest English football club, coming off a good WC showing for England, only to be back facing the reality of not being highly rated by the club manager, not so hard to imagine imo.
So you mean that he should be seen as bigger than the club?

This is not a one time thing, it is asked every PC. It’s been going on for three months now. He has de facto been ETHs 5th option for the CB position. Is not ETHs position pretty clear? And the question wasn’t about if he should remain the captain despite being the 5th option for the CB position, it was why “he was sat on the bench”. I also fail to realize the importance of the price Ole paid for Maguire back in 2019. There isn’t anyone who would not have Harry Maguire on a top 5 list of the worst transfers in the PL ever (due to that price tag). It was a ridiculous amount for him. Right?

Ole also paid a ridiculously high price for AWB. AWB is in fact the 2nd most expensive RB in the Premier League ever. Should ETH have to answer questions every PC about each of Ole’s transfer disasters? I don’t get why we put so extremely much value into signings made by Ole. Harry Maguire has had a very unspectacular career in the Premier League. He was OK for a so-so Leicester team for two seasons and then came here and was just OK, never good/great, never bad, just OK for a struggling Man Utd team. Sure we are a big club but this is some of our worst squads ever he has played on.

My point is just, I get these things when it concerns some legend of the club. This is a so-so CB who has been here 3 years and never achieved anything. He is 29 and only been in the PL, what 5 years, before that he was in League One or the Championship. Just think the manager should be supported. He has made his position pretty clear, enough is enough. It’s not like he came here and benched David Beckham. Or even one of the Neville brothers. Or even Ronny Jonsen. It just really annoys me that ETH should be roasted to this extent for not going with a player who obviously doesn’t fit our style of play at all.

Last edited:

darioterios

So you mean that he should be seen as bigger than the club?

This is not a one time thing, it is asked every PC. It’s been going on for three months now. He has de facto been ETHs 5th option for the CB position. Is not ETHs position pretty clear? And the question wasn’t about if he should remain the captain despite being the 5th option for the CB position, it was why “he was sat on the bench”. I also fail to realize the importance of the price Ole paid for Maguire back in 2019. There isn’t anyone who would not have Harry Maguire on a top 5 list of the worst transfers in the PL ever (due to that price tag). It was a ridiculous amount for him. Right?

Ole also paid a ridiculously high price for AWB. AWB is in fact the 2nd most expensive RB in the Premier League ever. Should ETH have to answer questions every PC? I don’t get why we put so extremely much value into signings made by Ole. Harry Maguire has had a very unspectacular career in the Premier League. He was OK for a so-so Leicester team and then came here and was just OK, never good/great, never bad, just OK for a struggling Man Utd team. Sure we are a big club but this is some of our worst squads ever he has played on. My point is just, I get these things when it concerns some legend of the club. This is a so-so CB who has been here 3 years and never achieved anything.
Not bigger than the club of course, but certainly far bigger than Lindelof in terms of click-bait headlines and traffic generated. Also, I don't know if you see on your social networks, but for me I see quite a number of fans go to great lengths to defend him, as if to make up for the extreme ridicule on the other end. Naturally that attracts press vultures like Sam Luckh.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Not bigger than the club of course, but certainly far bigger than Lindelof in terms of click-bait headlines and traffic generated. Also, I don't know if you see on your social networks, but for me I see quite a number of fans go to great lengths to defend him, as if to make up for the extreme ridicule on the other end. Naturally that attracts press vultures like Sam Luckh.
Fair points, and sorry if I was a little agitated in my reply.

Just that it feels like we had enough drama at this club, then you turn into listen a PC, and the journalists go after ETH with the “YOU sat Harry Maguire on the bench” agenda.

ETH is not an experienced manager. He tries to “handle” everything perfectly. He is threading lightly with Maguire. But this is one of those things that he shouldn’t even have to handle. I root for the guy like many others, but he isn’t a fit for this manager. He is not a club legend, he has been here for 3 full seasons, before that he was at Leicester for only 2 full seasons. Ronny Jonsen played much longer (and better) for us than Maguire have. In light of the price tag, he was a horrible signing by Ole.

IRONTUSK

He will prob go back to Leicester for about 10m.
The most expensive CB ever.......dearie me

RuudTom83

The talk is never about the player finding a new club...its always United should let him go blah blah blah.

Truth is very few teams would want Maguire and out of those that do, none would want to pay him the same salary he currently gets. If Maguire wants to play regularly is on him! to find a new club.

EtH has managed the squad into the Top 4 (currently) and its his job to finish there...if he fails then you can talk about his decisions.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It boils down to one thing - he was never a footballer remotely close to the fee the club paid.

He was doomed from day one, and the idiots who signed it off are all long gone.

I've nothing against Maguire or even him being a United player, but you are judged on what you bring to the table and the impact you have. In a sense I feel bad for the guy, put on a pedestal out of his depth from day one - and then Ole put the armband on him making it even worse.

If he comes here for £35m, or you know, after his days at Hull, no one bats an eyelid. If he's mediocre, it's another move from United that hasn't paid off. At £80m he has to be the best in his position in the league, nevermind at the club.

I do feel like we'll be saying similar things about Antony in a couple of years, though he'll never be our captain so that's one saving grace.

NoPace

Villa have shit CBs, lots of money and just spent 30M on veteran defenders in Digne and Carlos, and supposedly Emery wanted Maguire at Arsenal, so that's my current guess. They might even go in for him in January, which has to be tempting to Ten Hag if he has a CB for 20-25M in mind.

Longlivekeano

If I were Maguire, I would go off to another League like Italy where the forwards are not so pact and pace of the game is not as intense as EPL. Smalling have done a great job in reinventing himself in Roma. Maybe Maguire can do something like him and go off to a club like Napoli, Lazio for like 20-30 million Euros.

darioterios

Fair points, and sorry if I was a little agitated in my reply.

Just that it feels like we had enough drama at this club, then you turn into listen a PC, and the journalists go after ETH with the “YOU sat Harry Maguire on the bench” agenda.

ETH is not an experienced manager. He tries to “handle” everything perfectly. He is threading lightly with Maguire. But this is one of those things that he shouldn’t even have to handle. I root for the guy like many others, but he isn’t a fit for this manager. He is not a club legend, he has been here for 3 full seasons, before that he was at Leicester for only 2 full seasons. Ronny Jonsen played much longer (and better) for us than Maguire have. In light of the price tag, he was a horrible signing by Ole.
Nope it's all good really, I do hope this situation will be resolved by next season at the very latest so that everyone can move on.

BorisManUtd

If I were Maguire, I would go off to another League like Italy where the forwards are not so pact and pace of the game is not as intense as EPL. Smalling have done a great job in reinventing himself in Roma. Maybe Maguire can do something like him and go off to a club like Napoli, Lazio for like 20-30 million Euros.
Mourinho wanted Maguire back in 2018 I believe. Wouldn't rule out a move to Roma then either.

devilish

He is one of the many journalists who think that we owe Maguire an automatic first team place simply because he is an English international

devilish

Mourinho wanted Maguire back in 2018 I believe. Wouldn't rule out a move to Roma then either.
Roma can't afford Maguire. Why would they blow their wage structure for a walking/talking meme?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It boils down to one thing - he was never a footballer remotely close to the fee the club paid.

He was doomed from day one, and the idiots who signed it off are all long gone.

I've nothing against Maguire or even him being a United player, but you are judged on what you bring to the table and the impact you have. In a sense I feel bad for the guy, put on a pedestal out of his depth from day one - and then Ole put the armband on him making it even worse.

If he comes here for £35m, or you know, after his days at Hull, no one bats an eyelid. If he's mediocre, it's another move from United that hasn't paid off. At £80m he has to be the best in his position in the league, nevermind at the club.

I do feel like we'll be saying similar things about Antony in a couple of years, though he'll never be our captain so that's one saving grace.

Good post, i agree

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It was 80m because of who we are. Spurs would have gotten him for 40m max. I bet that’s the value we started with in the negotiation.

Not saying he’s good value even for 40m though.

GoldanoGraham

We paid well over the odds on the back of some good World Cup performances.

Many teams have fallen into this trap and none that I can remember have ever been worth what was paid for them.

Chelsea about to do the same with Enzo Fernandez.

The biggest issue for Maguire is that he was made Club Captain and Southgate is a fanboy so that makes it a bigger media circus for both him and us.

It will be interesting to see how the PR machine rolls with this come April time to see how he can be moved on for as much as possible.