United contact Gary Neville and other ex players in the media

L1nk

According to Daniel Taylor and Ornstein we've contact Neville, and other players, I imagine Scholes and Rio to apparently ask their opinion on how we can do better, or to maybe even ask them to join the club. I think asking them back is a stupid idea and it's basically United DNA all over again. But the likelyhood is getting them to shut up and stop slagging United and the board off in the media

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This club is a joke shop.

"Bridge-building" Why? We need to move on from the "United Way" bolloxology and pandering to the past.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

According to Daniel Taylor and Ornstein we've contact Neville, and other players, I imagine Scholes and Rio to apparently ask their opinion on how we can do better, or to maybe even ask them to join the club. I think asking them back is a stupid idea and it's basically United DNA all over again. But the likelyhood is getting them to shut up and stop slagging United and the board off in the media
Rio and Scholes shouldnt come near our board as an advisory. Same for Evra.

Neville would be more pragmatic.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Why is it a bad idea?

these people know football, and know the club, not sure its such a bad idea myself.

But doubt they are being asked to come back, moreso just the club wanting ideas on moving forward, which shows willing and positive moves from the club.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's a move so the club (more specifically, Arnold) gets to control the narrative.

red4ever 79

Literally quoted Goldbridge from his morning show.

Ixion

So I think Neville does usually talk sense but lots of pundits don't. Why would we reach out to Scholes, Rio, Keane etc just because they're on TV? To win a bit of favour with them?

macheda14

This is perfectly fine. Arnold knows he has limited knowledge when it comes to football. All this is is just canvasing ex players on what they think could be fixed. He'll then just take what they say over to Murtogh and Fletcher. I doubt he's bringing any of them in to enact any change.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is perfectly fine. Arnold knows he has limited knowledge when it comes to football. All this is is just canvasing ex players on what they think could be fixed. He'll then just take what they say over to Murtogh and Fletcher. I doubt he's bringing any of them in to enact any change.
Doing something for their ego so that they speak favourably about United.

Not a wrong move but not a very important development either.

studs

Might as well throw Ole in there if it's going to be a rewind.

Revaulx

Why is it a bad idea?

these people know football, and know the club, not sure its such a bad idea myself.

But doubt they are being asked to come back, moreso just the club wanting ideas on moving forward, which shows willing and positive moves from the club.
They knew a very different club to the one that exists today, sadly. If we want to move forward we need to respect the past without trying vainly to replicate it.

I’m all for having them “on board” in a broader sense though. Contrary to what some seem to think on here, I’m sure they aren’t idiots and have the best interests of the club at heart. If the club explains to them why simply trying to replicate what worked a quarter of a century ago isn’t possible, they might be more understanding and portray the club in a better light. Which will cut down on a lot of unnecessary drama.

I can’t see it working with professional contrarian Roy Keane but the rest should be fine.

Edit: what @NinjaZombie said :)

romufc

Everyone takes this news in a negative way. Why?
We have seen it from various former players that they were not treated well at the end. Rio, Evra and the like when it came to end of their career.

Doesn't mean they will be invited to join the board.

jeff_goldblum

When done right, having ex-players around the club isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that's not really what this is about. This is a business making a PR move.

Newstyle

Didn’t we do this with Ole?
It apparently didn’t work.
Let’s do it again for good measures :nervous:

RuudTom83

Not sure what the motive for this is? the tweet doesn't make it very clear.

binary bot
This wouldn't be a report at any other club, or even here at another time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Kinda everything Neville said about United in the last 8-9 years has been wrong, so it makes sense to ask for his opinion.

As long as the plan is to do the exact opposite of what he says.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Probably bollocks but if it happens at least I see a reason behind it. It's to shut them up. After Ole left these pundits will be very critical of Ralf or any other new manager who isn't an ex United player. They can be given non important roles for all I care. As long as they stay away from actual management and coaching, it should be fine.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Unhappy fans = loss of $$$. Ex players influence fans but can be bought off quite cheaply.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They knew a very different club to the one that exists today, sadly. If we want to move forward we need to respect the past without trying vainly to replicate it.

I’m all for having them “on board” in a broader sense though. Contrary to what some seem to think on here, I’m sure they aren’t idiots and have the best interests of the club at heart. If the club explains to them why simply trying to replicate what worked a quarter of a century ago isn’t possible, they might be more understanding and portray the club in a better light. Which will cut down on a lot of unnecessary drama.

I can’t see it working with professional contrarian Roy Keane but the rest should be fine.

Edit: what @NinjaZombie said :)
I think people need to get away from this belief that the club is trying to replicate life under Sir Alex, it's quite clearly not, Hence the complete restructuring that has happened over the last 18 months or so, if not longer.

Asking ex players advice or just general feelings on where the club can improve is a good thing in my opinion. What better people to ask than people who know, love and want the best for the club.

It's quite clearly a case of United wanting to reach out to high profile ex players in order to curry a bit of favour with them, also would expect whoever actually may be conducting these calls (Arnold?) to gather some feedback on potential improvements.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Unhappy fans = loss of $$$. Ex players influence fans but can be bought off quite cheaply.
Just pay them more than Sky pay them to be MUTV pundits. Then they can keep going about United way. Problem solved.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"despite losing 5 on the bounce, I think Rangnick's doing a great job. Oh good, my laundry is done"

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
By all means do it...just don't leak it to the press. Now it just seems like they're pandering to them.

LARulz

Rio and Scholes shouldnt come near our board as an advisory. Same for Evra.

Neville would be more pragmatic.
Depends on their roles. Rio and Evra are well known and respected around the world in the football circle and clearly have a lot of contacts. I trust them to get more players to the club than I do anyone working behind the scenes right now

Smores

These people know a lot about the mentality and type of dressing room it takes to be serial winners. I always laugh when i read caf posters dismiss their knowledge as if they know better.

Ole was a poor manager but that doesn't mean he didn't have useful experience, it's just that being manager is far bigger than that.

Take on their ideas, consume it in the context of our new structure and direction. Just don't hire them with any significant remit.

newgiz

I am hoping this isn't more a 'Jobs for the Boys' but more a 'We are bringing you into the process, so that you don't complain about the Ways of Working later in the media'.

We have appointed Rangnick, who has specific expertise in the area of club building and setting up a framework on the Ways of Working in terms of recruitment etc. I fail to understand the value of bringing ex-players into the equation to discuss on that process who have no previous experience.

With all due respect to Neville, he was a great player for the club, but the question here is what value he brings onto the table and does he have the competence to be making key decisions on recruitment and so on? Knowing Neville, he will be the first to admit, that he is not the right man for it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Depends on their roles. Rio and Evra are well known and respected around the world in the football circle and clearly have a lot of contacts. I trust them to get more players to the club than I do anyone working behind the scenes right now
They're just bandwagon merchants, get carried away and are biased. I wouldn't trust them with anything outside of ambassadorial. We shouldn't need them to convince players either.

Revaulx

I think people need to get away from this belief that the club is trying to replicate life under Sir Alex, it's quite clearly not, Hence the complete restructuring that has happened over the last 18 months or so, if not longer.
Let’s hope you’re right. There certainly seem to be indications, but you can hardly blame people being sceptical.
Asking ex players advice or just general feelings on where the club can improve is a good thing in my opinion. What better people to ask than people who know, love and want the best for the club.
Maybe. I’m not sure they really understand how much the PL has changed over the past decade though.
It's quite clearly a case of United wanting to reach out to high profile ex players in order to curry a bit of favour with them, also would expect whoever actually may be conducting these calls (Arnold?) to gather some feedback on potential improvements.
Indeed. And I’m all for it. Not all PR moves are a bad thing.

JB7

Why is it a bad idea?

Because people on here seem to think anything to do with the academy or our past is a terrible thing and is to be avoided at all costs.

In reality, it's the club reaching out to legends of the club, with a view to having a better relationship with them going forward than we did under Woodward. Not sure how anyone in the world can possibly construe that to be a bad thing.