United draw LASK (from Austria) in Europa League

Foxbatt

Is it a good fixture to play against LASK? It is their first time I think in the EL.

Resch

Would be nice to get tickets..... just 120 km away!
Ugly stadium, the away sector is awful. But LASK is as good as Salzburg this year. Could be a though match against a small team.

Tiber

I know nothing about them. But it's got to be better than drawing the likes of Inter

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Being from Austria this is fantastic. Need to figure out how to get tickets for the game in Linz.
Any idea where to get some for United away games?

I have not watched too much Austrian football the past few years but the newspapers are always full of praise for LASK and how they became the main challenger of RB Salzburg. Partially this is due to the big Vienna clubs Rapid and Austria having been awful for years.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
First time I've heard of them if I'm being honest.

Anduin

They are a very decent side. Confident, organised, efficient and tactically astute. I refer to them as a tiny budget version of Liverpool, in terms of how their overall play is much better than their individual quality. If we take it easy in terms of team selection, we might be in for a surprise here. Forget about their results against Brugge at the start of the season, they are a much better outfit now and were a bit unlucky back then.

I think we will go through, but if Ole decides to play the likes of Lingard, Pereira, Chong or James in both legs (due to our congested schedule), this will be a close tie. You may not have heard of them, but they probably had their best 2 1/2 years in the club's history, one Championship title in the 60s aside.

oynutta

Being from Austria this is fantastic. Need to figure out how to get tickets for the game in Linz.
Any idea where to get some for United away games?

I have not watched too much Austrian football the past few years but the newspapers are always full of praise for LASK and how they became the main challenger of RB Salzburg. Partially this is due to the big Vienna clubs Rapid and Austria having been awful for years.

Let me know if you find any thing! Living in Innsbruck at the moment and would love to make the trip!

Theo88

Are they any better than Club Brugge?

I'm already thinking about who we could play at the quarter finals.

van Hooijdonk

Good team. Valerien Ismael is doing fantastic job over there. They have very good chance to end the Salzburg domination in Austria this year. It will be an interesting tie.

davidmichael

Never heard of them til 20 minutes ago but looking at everything we couldn’t have probably asked for a better draw, one of Inter and Getafe will be gone as will one of Sevilla and Roma too.

lysglimt

Scout
Good team. Valerien Ismael is doing fantastic job over there. They have very good chance to end the Salzburg domination in Austria this year. It will be an interesting tie.
Is he in charge ? One of the biggest transfer flops in P.L-history. :)

redmanc

Yeah happy with this, i really didn't want one of the Italian teams with having some of our former and current players, you can just imagine the scenes with Lukaku when/if he scored against us.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Should cruise through. If we are worried about playing the likes of LASK then we should probably not bother competing. With all due respect to LASK, of course.

Decomposing In Paris

Our second choice midfield might be Fred, McTominey, & Mata by then. Which just seems weird considering how they’ve been playing!

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Let me know if you find any thing! Living in Innsbruck at the moment and would love to make the trip!
There will be a sale for season ticket holders at the LASK homepage and the remaining ones will be sold to anyone else starting from 6 March at 10 am.
Is there something like a site where United away tickets are sold? I would assume that maybe not all tickets are sold as the opponent might not be that attractive?

Btw I just checked their fan forum at austriansoccerboard.at

They are going completely nuts

doomy20

Would also be glad if someone could PM me ticket information. I never bought tickets before, is it possible to buy them without club membership? Or directly from someone with membership? Thanks!

Concerning their quality: They are on fire and full of convidence atm. Should Play our best 11

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Should cruise through. If we are worried about playing the likes of LASK then we should probably not bother competing. With all due respect to LASK, of course.
I really hope the coaches does not think like this, because Lask is a really hard team to play. They may not have players of the best calibre, but they are so underrated. They play very rough and press insanely hard, lungs made of iron on these lads. If you have an off day and do not work hard against these guys they will punish you. But if the team works hard, and the selection is ok, United should go through, yes. They beat AZ Alkmaar in both matches, something United did not do. And they also beat Bruno's Sporting Lisbon 3-0 and PSV Eindhoven 4-1 during the group phase so they are not so bad.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I hadn't heard of them but they're top of the Austrian league and just eliminated AZ Alkmaar. I'm not expecting a walk in the park, which is as it should be in the last 16 of a European competition.

K_Ash

Just pushing that inevitable Inter's matchup (and Lukaku's revenge) as far down as possible

Allas8

Looking at the team starting against AZ, 9 of 11 players are Austrian, with a total of 11 caps for the Austrian national team, where the young striker Marko Raguz got 5 of them. They also have experienced Australian midfielder James Holland with a total of 15 caps. In January they signed the big Brazilian forward Klauss on loan from Hoffenheim until the end of the season. 2 of their CBs face suspension for the first leg against us after picking up to many yellow cards. So for the people saying they never heard of them, I guess thats something.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Not happy to read on here that they are a pressing side - never feel confident that we cope at all well with such teams.

lysglimt

Scout
I hadn't heard of them but they're top of the Austrian league and just eliminated AZ Alkmaar. I'm not expecting a walk in the park, which is as it should be in the last 16 of a European competition.
Nope - but it is as easy as you can expect to get at this level. If we cant beat Lask Linz - we dont stand a chance against teams like Sevilla and Inter. And if we play the way we did at home to AZ and Club Brugge - this should be fairly Easy.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That just shows your LASK of humour.
Stop prAustituting yourself (? not really very good at all that)

Nope - but it is as easy as you can expect to get at this level. If we cant beat Lask Linz - we dont stand a chance against teams like Sevilla and Inter. And if we play the way we did at home to AZ and Club Brugge - this should be fairly Easy.
True, we've no business being in the tournament if we can't get past this lot over two legs (nor Olympiacos for that matter, whammy).

dalriada

I really hope the coaches does not think like this, because Lask is a really hard team to play. They may not have players of the best calibre, but they are so underrated. They play very rough and press insanely hard, lungs made of iron on these lads. If you have an off day and do not work hard against these guys they will punish you. But if the team works hard, and the selection is ok, United should go through, yes. They beat AZ Alkmaar in both matches, something United did not do. And they also beat Bruno's Sporting Lisbon 3-0 and PSV Eindhoven 4-1 during the group phase so they are not so bad.
I think the coaches will absolutely not think like that - they will analyze LASK's performances and choose the squad for the matches accordingly.
This is the last 16 now, we're not playing sides like Astana. The bookies have us as one of the favourites and a realistic prospect of CL qualification is in view.
We shouldn't be worried, but we definitely shouldn't approach it assuming we will cruise through, as we can see from some of the posts here from Austrian supporters.

dutchred

dont underestimate them. They beat AZ in the last round and AZ are a pretty good team this year

EwanI Ted

Reminiscent of when we won under Mourinho, the other favourites draw each other and we pull one of the bottom seeds.

Chairman Steve

Just glad it wasn’t fecking Wolves. I was half expecting it to be. They’ve been magnetised to us in a draw ball pot this past year.