United Hour Podcast - Transfer Window Special

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Hot on the heels of the last show - me, Imran @Annihilate Now! and Ashwin @AR87 assess the summer 2020 transfer window and try to work out why we always leave our business to the last minute.
A detailed look at our new signings Cavani, Telles, Pellistri and Traore. And the one that got away, Jadon Sancho.
How much has COVID19 and the lack of matchday revenue impacted our transfer budget?
Have Woodward and the Glazers failed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

Stream or download here: https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/transfer-window

Cheers to @12OunceEpilogue for the super speedy turnaround (this was actually out yesterday !)

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Good pod gents

I was surprised not to hear more question or critique on Traore. To me, 20m on a player with not even half an appearance is absurd when the club are peddling that they have no money. We don't want to bloat the squad but take a risk like that? Seems an absurd punt considering we apparently aren't secure in our financial position, and have gaps that the money could have been better spent on.

Otherwise agree with majority. As usual a real lack of cohesion, planning and direction.

AR87

I was surprised not to hear more question or critique on Traore. To me, 20m on a player with not even half an appearance is absurd when the club are peddling that they have no money. We don't want to bloat the squad but take a risk like that? Seems an absurd punt considering we apparently aren't secure in our financial position, and have gaps that the money could have been better spent on.
For me it was just that I read a lot about him after we signed him and I buy the idea that they paid up for somebody that is broadly considered one of the best talents in the world. I also think our finances are tighter due more to the wage bill, which the club has done a good job of managing over the last year or so, in particular managing the incomings, and I can't imagine Amad is hurting us much at all in that instance.

It's a definite gamble given his lack of top flight football, but it's one I guess I'm just not too concerned about. We've seen Real spend big on relatively unproven talents in recent years with mixed results, so I also think this type of gamble may be something we'll see more of moving forward from top clubs.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Good pod gents

Otherwise agree with majority. As usual a real lack of cohesion, planning and direction.
I will admit that Ive been seduced by a few youtube vids and scouting reports that suggest he's a major talent - although there are questions marks over why he didnt get more gametimes at Atalanta (they dont play with wingers apparently), as I said on the pod I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the first team before the end of the season.

and anyway, have the club been peddling that they have no money? Clearly our finances have been hit by COVID19 but we arent broke just yet

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Good listen, cheers guys. Well argued points on the Cavani signing. Signing him earlier could have been alot more costly but i still think it stinks of poor planning and going against the supposed transfer strategy we were now adhering to, but we should have got him in much earlier so that he was fully prepared for the beginning of the season instead of this stale squad we look like we currently have.

Infact, i thought more credit should have gone to the signing of the younger players and highlighting that these are the types of signing we are more likely to see from now as the clubs realises we are not going to be able to buy success anymore and that the long term vision of signing up the world's best talent, like the two young spanish lads, shows the club are still moving in the right direction on that long term strategy at least.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Good listen, cheers guys. Well argued points on the Cavani signing. Signing him earlier could have been alot more costly but i still think it stinks of poor planning and going against the supposed transfer strategy we were now adhering to, but we should have got him in much earlier so that he was fully prepared for the beginning of the season instead of this stale squad we look like we currently have.

Infact, i thought more credit should have gone to the signing of the younger players and highlighting that these are the types of signing we are more likely to see from now as the clubs realises we are not going to be able to buy success anymore and that the long term vision of signing up the world's best talent, like the two young spanish lads, shows the club are still moving in the right direction on that long term strategy at least.
Well we have @Alock1 saying we give too much credit for the youth signings! It's only in a couple of years that we will see if it's a good long term strategy - the hit rate for foreign youth getting to our first team is very low. But Ole has a good record with integrating young players so hopefully he gets the time

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cracking episode lads, enjoyed that. To clarify, Sancho is still coming :lol: :drool:

For me, it's not so much not making the signing of Sancho that made me re-evaluate the expectations this year, it was the window overall. As you lads discussed, we desperately needed recruits for the starting 11 not just for depth. A centre half for sure, a deep lying midfielder and a right winger. Now, while it's exciting signing young players for the wide position, we needed a real 'lay a marker down' kind of signing there, not depth. We haven't signed a starting right sided attacking player for years and it borders on negligence to not do it again. Also, a deep midfielder and a centre half both of real quality were needed and the positions have been ignored (CB I get though, needed to get rid of 3 at least and it's been murder moving players on).

Great points made on moving onto other targets too. If the club knew Sancho was a signing that was not going to happen, say in the middle of August, then move on to other targets you have identified. This scrambling around for a player at the end of the window has to stop, it's no good for anyone.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Cracking episode lads, enjoyed that. To clarify, Sancho is still coming :lol: :drool:

For me, it's not so much not making the signing of Sancho that made me re-evaluate the expectations this year, it was the window overall. As you lads discussed, we desperately needed recruits for the starting 11 not just for depth. A centre half for sure, a deep lying midfielder and a right winger. Now, while it's exciting signing young players for the wide position, we needed a real 'lay a marker down' kind of signing there, not depth. We haven't signed a starting right sided attacking player for years and it borders on negligence to not do it again. Also, a deep midfielder and a centre half both of real quality were needed and the positions have been ignored (CB I get though, needed to get rid of 3 at least and it's been murder moving players on).

Great points made on moving onto other targets too. If the club knew Sancho was a signing that was not going to happen, say in the middle of August, then move on to other targets you have identified. This scrambling around for a player at the end of the window has to stop, it's no good for anyone.
I dont think Ole was even looking for a defensive midfielder this summer, we are pretty well stocked in midfield now - but RW was obviously a priority and probably CB, hoping for kids (Tuanzebe, Mengi, Traore) to step up to fill the gap now

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I dont think Ole was even looking for a defensive midfielder this summer, we are pretty well stocked in midfield now - but RW was obviously a priority and probably CB, hoping for kids (Tuanzebe, Mengi, Traore) to step up to fill the gap now
Don't forget Super McT plays RCB for Scotland too! :drool:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
For me it was just that I read a lot about him after we signed him and I buy the idea that they paid up for somebody that is broadly considered one of the best talents in the world. I also think our finances are tighter due more to the wage bill, which the club has done a good job of managing over the last year or so, in particular managing the incomings, and I can't imagine Amad is hurting us much at all in that instance.

It's a definite gamble given his lack of top flight football, but it's one I guess I'm just not too concerned about. We've seen Real spend big on relatively unproven talents in recent years with mixed results, so I also think this type of gamble may be something we'll see more of moving forward from top clubs.
Yeah, it is definitely the Real Madrid approach. When they signed Vinicius Junior he had played just 17 minutes at the time and he cost €45m.

In Diallo's case, we had scouted him for years. Wouldn't have been something they'd take lightly bidding that much. Biggest concern is the work permit.

Hughie77

I realy hope he does the business, even if he does it won't be enough, he could score 30 + goals and he would still be a panic buy, even though he said he was looking at his options before taking another club. I hope he can bring some energy up front some nastiness to our play, bully the defences.

Hughie77

Don't forget Super McT plays RCB for Scotland too! :drool:
Agree, I think he was looking for a winger, and a striker, CBs we have to many of them, Can't get rid of Jones, Rojo, Tuenzabe is back from injury, he needs to stay fit.

Mr PG

Good pod gents

Would you have paid £20m for Greenwood after 2 appearances on the first team?(Amad Traore looks more developed than Greenwood at this point btw)

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Would you have paid £20m for Greenwood after 2 appearances on the first team?(Amad Traore looks more developed than Greenwood at this point btw)
Probably not no. Not whilst there are weaknesses in other areas that need addressing here and now and part of not addressing them is because of the cost.

Plenty of top talent don't make it. Most don't. It's very hard to identify talent and recognize their level when every kid is playing in different leagues.

Even full first team professionals at peak can't always make the step up so it's clearly a risk.

I don't mind the approach if we have cash burning. But a last day of the window purchase after not getting key targets doesn't suggest huge confidence in what even with the perfect circumstances can be a big risk.

We have been burnt on talent before (think Januzaj - even if not in retrospect everybody claims it was clear he wouldnt make it, that wasn't the narrative at the time). Maybe it's that.