United Hour - Sack Ole!!!!

Foxbatt

Bit extreme, at least Young gets what it means to play for United. Fergie had Neville as captain, who was perpetually injured and past it by his own admission. I don’t see it as a big deal.
Gary called it a day the moment he realised that he was not good enough for this club. Big Pete left when he realised that he could not be good enough for this club. Please don't tell me Young is good enough to play for this club? Well, if our ambitions are to play in the Europa he might as well be good enough but I am sure that there are better RBs playing in the PL in clubs that finished below us too.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which is why on the other hand I agree with @Rood on Herrera. @Stobzilla and @That'sHernandez might think he's nothing but a doorstop salesman but, at least when Herrera played, I never felt like he was phoning it in. Our best performance in recent memory, the 1-1 with Chelsea, came with him on the pitch. Even if he was wanting for talent Ander never lacked for commitment. How many of the rest of our squad can honestly say the same? J-Stand sung to him as he left Old Trafford for the final time and IMO he deserved it.
Damn right! A J-Stand favourite and rightly so:devil:

Tiber

The comment about Lyon and others being bigger teams that PSG was a tad surreal.

I admire the sentiment, but in reality PSG is currently a titan in French football. Its a depressing fact, but oil money unquestionably buys respect and prestige in football

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The comment about Lyon and others being bigger teams that PSG was a tad surreal.

I admire the sentiment, but in reality PSG is currently a titan in French football. Its a depressing fact, but oil money unquestionably buys respect and prestige in football
Until very recently both City and Chelsea struggled to be classified as 'big teams' by wider football fans and both teams have more history in the last 20 years than PSG have since they were founded, 50 years ago. Why is that different for PSG, because you don't have a horse in the Ligue 1 race to feel bitter about the money PSG have?

PSG are not a big club, they're a rich club, and if they were to lose their oil money tomorrow you would see a mass exodus of players and they would go back to being sometimes-Europa League-competitors.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Gary called it a day the moment he realised that he was not good enough for this club. Big Pete left when he realised that he could not be good enough for this club. Please don't tell me Young is good enough to play for this club? Well, if our ambitions are to play in the Europa he might as well be good enough but I am sure that there are better RBs playing in the PL in clubs that finished below us too.
I don't think Young is good enough to play for United and I'm not overly convinced he ever was, certainly not as anything more than a squad player. Of the older players we have left, however, he is easily one of the best people to keep around in the dressing room because of his experience, commitment and attitude. People talk about harking back to Fergie with the likes of Jones and Smalling; don't forget Young was a part of our last title winning squad too, and he is injured far less.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Until very recently both City and Chelsea struggled to be classified as 'big teams' by wider football fans and both teams have more history in the last 20 years than PSG have since they were founded, 50 years ago. Why is that different for PSG, because you don't have a horse in the Ligue 1 race to feel bitter about the money PSG have?

PSG are not a big club, they're a rich club, and if they were to lose their oil money tomorrow you would see a mass exodus of players and they would go back to being sometimes-Europa League-competitors.
I was so shocked by the OTT hate for poor Ander that I completely forgot to pick you up on this nonsense!

Whichever way you look at it (trophies, fanbase, finances etc) PSG are undoubtedly a big club right now, obviously that is mostly due to the oil money but in fact they actually have more history than you give them credit for - they had won league titles before Qatar turned up, only French club to win a Euro trophy (CWC '96), most seasons in the French top flight etc

and in fact Lyon who you mentioned as a bigger club are more of a sugardaddy club than PSG and a beter comparison of the French Chelsea - they dominated the 00s in France after spending a lot of money but apart from that decade havent won much.

It's probably Marseille who have the best history of the French clubs, although its still Saint Etienne who have the record for most titles eventhough the last one was in '81!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
We are planning to record an offseason podcast tonight - if you have any questions or topics you want us to cover then shout out

Will definitely be talking out:
- new signings
- Glazers etc
- transfer muppetry

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We are planning to record an offseason podcast tonight - if you have any questions or topics you want us to cover then shout out

- new signings
- Glazers etc
- transfer muppetry
Which one signing that another club has already made so far this window, would you have loved to have seen at United, and why?

Holocene

- new signings
- Glazers etc
- transfer muppetry
Some potential questions for discussion:

What should be the expectations for Ole in the upcoming season?

What kind of reception will Pogba and Lukaku get next season if they stay? (Given they’ve both made comments about wanting to leave)

How much game time will be given to the young players next season? (Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Tuanzebe etc)

Reactions: nimic

Dolf

What formation/tactical style do you think we will play? Since we haven't really been linked to a RW recently will we play with two strikers? Rashford from the right? Will Ole try Martial as ST? etc...

Marcelinho87

I love him and really do hope he succeeds here but honestly I can see it ending in tears. A bad start to the season and it could potentially end up really bad. I really hope he has a good season because quite frankly I'm getting sick to death of this whole process of sacking managers and getting in new ones. I just want us to have one guy for at least 4-5 years. When SAF left I was praying we could avoid becoming a new Chelsea but that dream quickly went to hell....
See I look at it differently, we as a fanbase have an emotional attachment to Ole that we never had with a manager post SAF.

I really think this season the anger will get louder and louder towards the owners and Woodward if things go tits up and I think Ole will be more... felt sorry for.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who is the toast to Rashford's beans? Martial? Lingard? Or are we without toast at the moment?

We need an rvn

I can understand United's apparent new transfer policy of buying young / hungry players, but I feel we are lacking a proper captain on the pitch - I'm talking the likes of Terry / Rio / Keane / Gerrard / Viera etc. With the proposed other transfers of Fernandes and Longstaff perhaps in sight - do you agree in that the club are lacking, and hence need to sign, someone who demands respect on the pitch as they don't let their standard drop nor accept it from others. Pogba is not the answer we hoped he could have been.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I see a lot of talk of us being after Bruno Fernandes, but due to being unimpressed with him on fifa 19 so fsr I cant get excited about this potential signing, can you tell me what type of player he is, how he will fit in and whose place he will take in the starting 11.

witchtrials

Looking forward to this. Quick question on our general approach to recruitment:

What do you think about our reported transfer strategy of targeting young players and trying to develop them, rather than trying to bring in established players already in their prime? What about the alleged "Buy British" component of the strategy?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I can understand United's apparent new transfer policy of buying young / hungry players, but I feel we are lacking a proper captain on the pitch - I'm talking the likes of Terry / Rio / Keane / Gerrard / Viera etc. With the proposed other transfers of Fernandes and Longstaff perhaps in sight - do you agree in that the club are lacking, and hence need to sign, someone who demands respect on the pitch as they don't let their standard drop nor accept it from others. Pogba is not the answer we hoped he could have been.
We have moaned about lack of leaders on the pitch on the podcast for at least 3 years now !

Butty19

If a player doesn’t want to play for the club should they be sold? Will a player who doesn’t want to play for us ever truly give 100%?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
De Gea's contract expires in roughly a year. Do you think he will still be at the club a year from now?

You'll probably be discussing his situation in the transfer muppetry bit.

Gasolin

So I am new to this podcast stuff, I opened my phone and subscribe to the podcast by looking up the name... what time are you guys usually live?

We need an rvn

We have moaned about lack of leaders on the pitch on the podcast for at least 3 years now !
Different transfer policy now apparently with youth the answer to our cause though. If that's the case, instead of signing x global stars every year, surely now is a case more than ever to sign a leader we don't have, no?

I'm all for galacticos if it works but it hasn't with us. Hence youth yes, but God damn have a leader to guide them.

Gasolin

Different transfer policy now apparently with youth the answer to our cause though. If that's the case, instead of signing x global stars every year, surely now is a case more than ever to sign a leader we don't have, no?

I'm all for galacticos if it works but it hasn't with us. Hence youth yes, but God damn have a leader to guide them.
You don't want Lingard as the leader? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

We are going to need someone but I wonder who can even play that role.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So I am new to this podcast stuff, I opened my phone and subscribe to the podcast by looking up the name... what time are you guys usually live?
It's not live - we will record tonight and then @12OunceEpilogue will work his editing magic and release it in next few days

Have a listen to the last episode to tide yourself over to the new one

May do a live episode one day - have thought about it but too much risk of fecking it up !

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How about this. If Dave wants Real, and Real don't want Courtois (who desperately wants to live in Madrid), and Oblak is willing to join United, it could be a merry-go-round that satisfies all parties.

I'm hoping Dave signs a new deal, but this could salvage value.

We need an rvn

You don't want Lingard as the leader? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

We are going to need someone but I wonder who can even play that role.
The thought alone of Jese as leader makes me want to weep as I climb into bed shortly how far we have fallen.

I genuinely don't have an answer as to who I would put as that player who can though...

arthurka

Are we skint or are we just trying to recruit smarter than we have since Fergie's departure? Where are the players that other teams could only dream of?

Celoti23-81

Define Galacticos? Because if I'm not mistaken, galacticos are players that are sought after in the world of football, that are on top of their game, not rejects or has beens.
Real didn't want Di maria, Falcao and Schweinsteiger were finished as top elite footballers because of serious injuries. Sanchez has had personal problems since a good 18 months. Zlatan was 35, but made it. Pogba is the only real one you can call a galactico, but is by far our best player.
Lukaku, mkhitayran, Bailly, Lindelof, Depay, Schneiderlin, Blind, Rojo, Martial were relatively young, and all had or have qualities that would or could have blossomed under the right guidance and system. They had potential to improve. In hindsight, if LVG had stayed another season, it might just have clicked. Cause to date, he is the only one since SAF that has got out a tune out of young players like Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, even Borthwick Jackson looked decent. Since he left, they have all regressed
Pogba is the only galactico we have signed. Period!
No player improved in the slightest under Ole in 6 months. Yet in 8 months, most of Southampton's players improved under hassenhuttl.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Define Galacticos? Because if I'm not mistaken, galacticos are players that are sought after in the world of football, that are on top of their game, not rejects or has beens.
Real didn't want Di maria, Falcao and Schweinsteiger were finished as top elite footballers because of serious injuries. Sanchez has had personal problems since a good 18 months. Zlatan was 35, but made it. Pogba is the only real one you can call a galactico, but is by far our best player.
Lukaku, mkhitayran, Bailly, Lindelof, Depay, Schneiderlin, Blind, Rojo, Martial were relatively young, and all had or have qualities that would or could have blossomed under the right guidance and system. They had potential to improve. In hindsight, if LVG had stayed another season, it might just have clicked. Cause to date, he is the only one since SAF that has got out a tune out of young players like Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, even Borthwick Jackson looked decent. Since he left, they have all regressed
Pogba is the only galactico we have signed. Period!
No player improved in the slightest under Ole in 6 months. Yet in 8 months, most of Southampton's players improved under hassenhuttl.
Pogba looked great, Martial was finally combining in the final third, Lindelof seems more confident on the ball, even Rashford looked fine for a good 2 months so some did improve. But yeah, I suppose for you Ole is a nobody so... and I can understand your point as well. I hope he can teach a thing or two to those players.

Last edited:

Celoti23-81

Pogba looked great, Martial was finally combining in the final third, Lindelof seems more confident on the ball, even Rashford looked fine for a good 2 months so some did improve. But yeah, I suppose for you Ole is a nobody so... and I can understand your point as well. I hope he can teach a thing or two to those players.
It's not that I think Ole is a nobody, I think he can be a good manager. I just don't think the whole package (the coaching staff) is good enough to implement different ideas. I hope I'm wrong, but I think they are all with an ideology of counter attacking and not much more.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Some potential questions for discussion:

What should be the expectations for Ole in the upcoming season?

What kind of reception will Pogba and Lukaku get next season if they stay? (Given they’ve both made comments about wanting to leave)

How much game time will be given to the young players next season? (Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Tuanzebe etc)
What formation/tactical style do you think we will play? Since we haven't really been linked to a RW recently will we play with two strikers? Rashford from the right? Will Ole try Martial as ST? etc...
Who's been the worst number 7 since Ronaldo left?
The club has been silent on the De Gea contract situation. Have there been any offers for him?
Who is the toast to Rashford's beans? Martial? Lingard? Or are we without toast at the moment?
I see a lot of talk of us being after Bruno Fernandes, but due to being unimpressed with him on fifa 19 so fsr I cant get excited about this potential signing, can you tell me what type of player he is, how he will fit in and whose place he will take in the starting 11.
Looking forward to this. Quick question on our general approach to recruitment:

What do you think about our reported transfer strategy of targeting young players and trying to develop them, rather than trying to bring in established players already in their prime? What about the alleged "Buy British" component of the strategy?
If a player doesn’t want to play for the club should they be sold? Will a player who doesn’t want to play for us ever truly give 100%?
De Gea's contract expires in roughly a year. Do you think he will still be at the club a year from now?

You'll probably be discussing his situation in the transfer muppetry bit.
Pog-go or pog-stay?
Are we skint or are we just trying to recruit smarter than we have since Fergie's departure? Where are the players that other teams could only dream of?

Cheers for the questions - we covered most of them and held a couple for the next preseason pod which will be more about seasons' expectations, tactics etc