United in talks to buy Central Coast Mariners & relocate them to Sydney

OverratedOpinion

I think it would be quite fun, I doubt I would watch all of the games but it would be a third United team to have an interest in.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I am surprised at the positive reaction to this, particularly when the ownership of the club is detested. Why would we wish the leeches upon another club?

cyberman

If theyre happy, why not? We can't project ourselves onto other fanbases.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well the original article states the team will be moved across the country so cannot imagine they will be happy? :lol:
Looks more like 50km, right next to Sydney to me. Like relocating Southend to London.

KiD MoYeS

Looks more like 50km, right next to Sydney to me. Like relocating Southend to London.
Fair enough. We probably need more Australians in here or actual fans of the club to gauge their feelings towards this. Just feels weird to me that we're discussing another football club as if it was a commodity to be bought and sold to further enhance a franchise.

AkaAkuma

They will join Man Utd's sister club, with United coaches at the club. And it would be more beneficial for the youngsters to participate in the A-League and Asian champions league under the supervision of United coaches, rather than play in our 23s, which is a much weaker competition IMO.
Japan and Korea have stronger leagues than Australia, it would be a waste to move there.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Fair enough. We probably need more Australians in here or actual fans of the club to gauge their feelings towards this. Just feels weird to me that we're discussing another football club as if it was a commodity to be bought and sold to further enhance a franchise.
Well, I definitively wouldn't say that proximity of football clubs means less rivalry :lol:
Usually, the closer clubs are located the fiercer the hatred, so yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that fans might not hate it if their club is moved from close to Sydney into Sydney..

KiD MoYeS

Well, I definitively wouldn't say that proximity of football clubs means less rivalry :lol:
Usually, the closer clubs are located the fiercer the hatred, so yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that fans might not hate it if their club is moved from close to Sydney into Sydney..
Good point definitely. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Sure nothing at all may materialise!

stu_1992

Don't like this at all, and I don't get the excitement. I'm really opposed o the idea of teams owning other teams. It makes things far less exciting when each club doesn't have it's own identity or story. This model just leads to clubs that feel like soulless shells of other teams. It's scummy. Even worse in this case, is that the proposed takeover will be ripping a club out of it's community and relocating it elsewhere. I see some people mention that it's only 50km, but that makes a huge difference to the people who are used to people to go to the games just down the road. Local fans may no longer have a reason to identify with the team which is a sad situation.

I see no real benefit to Manchester United either. Will the club really want to send it's loan players there? The most promising would want a higher level you would think. I also don't want a Chelsea situation where we're hoarding players for loans to sell at a profit, a similarly scummy tactic. Also not to be offensive to Australian players, it's hardly a hotbed of young talent so I can't imagine the intention it would result in many promising youngsters coming through. The only people I see this benefitting are the Glazers, some other way for them to cash in on the clubs name. I can't be excited for that.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Gosford is about 50 miles from Sydney depending on what part of Sydney you are talking about.

Someone mentioned the Northern Suburbs (North Sydney/Manly area) which is very much Rugby League territory and there isn't a big soccer culture there at all. Not saying that couldn't change but there is a different dynamic on the North Shore compared to other soccer hotbeds in Sydney.

Most historic soccer teams in NSW are from the south, and west of the city CBD.

There are about 15,000 players in the Central Coast region and many teams have been around since the 1960's. I would have thought it was a great catchment area for an Academy...so Central Coast Mariners would be have access to all those talented juniors. The move doesn't make any sense to me...at least on the surface.

As for United's U/23's going on loan there...really can't see that happening at all. The likes of Mengi, Garner and others need Championship football to develop. The younger lads like Elanga and our U/18's are still developing in our own Academy, under the watchful eye of our coaches. So sending them 12,000 miles away to play and then trying to integrate them into our first team makes no sense at all. The really talented ones need to be on the fringe of training with our first team.

I would have thought developing a relationship with a team in Europe would make a lot more sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Japan and Korea have stronger leagues than Australia, it would be a waste to move there.
England has a stronger league than Germany and Austria, but it didn't stop Upamecano and Haaland joining RB Salzburg/Dortmund.

If United did take over at a Australian club with our coaching staff. It would provide the young Japanese/South Korean players a direct path to Europe, which would appeal to the young players.

hungrywing

England has a stronger league than Germany and Austria, but it didn't stop Upamecano and Haaland joining RB Salzburg/Dortmund.

If United did take over at a Australian club with our coaching staff. It would provide the young Japanese/South Korean players a direct path to Europe, which would appeal to the young players.
Don't the Australians/Koreans not like the Japanese because of WW2 (yes, still). As in there'd be a considerable amount of 'don't go there that league is for the _______ bastards/don't sign those ______ bastards' especially if this part is true:

Are the Japanese/Korean leagues really better than the Australian league?

fadetoblack944

Supports
Central Coast Mariners
Hey Guys
As a fan of CCM myself and many other fans of the club we would welcome Man Utd in buying us except for the Relocation of the club, We have had a tough couple of years but the club has been struggling with funds from our current owner. Back in our Early days we filled the Stadium (which is 20k) but yeah recent years of results dropped us down to between (5-10k). Central coast is in Between Newcastle and Sydney with our main rivals being Newcastle there's no hope in hell i'll be supporting the relocation. The owner in the past has played games out of North Sydney due to not getting his way regarding a spat with the Central Coast Council due to Stadium Cost's (which is still one of the lowest in the league).

Australia has a fair bit of Asian Immigration so Players from Asia are fair welcome and often praised in Australia due to there Technical Ability (compared to us anyway) where we are a lot more Physical. Just came here to see what you guys opinion was and found this thread and thought i'd reply

Reactions: Rood

AkaAkuma

Japanese and Koreans already have a path to Europe via there own leagues and coaching infrastructure. They don't need to side step to Australia to achieve this.

How many have gone to Melbourne City and then gone on to Europe?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Japanese and Koreans already have a path to Europe via there own leagues and coaching infrastructure. They don't need to side step to Australia to achieve this.

How many have gone to Melbourne City and then gone on to Europe?
How many would join United's sister club, with United youth coaches at the club?

It wouldn't be a side step move, but rather a stepping stone move which would allow young players to play at the highest level in Asia (Asian champions league) which would better prepare them for a move to Europe and specifically to England, which if I'm not mistaken is the most popular league in Asia.

DOM6284

I don't think it'll be that big an issue. Australian's are well used to travelling considerable distances because the country is so vast. My brother lived there about 30 years ago and used to travel about 50km to get his groceries a few times a week.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't think it'll be that big an issue. Australian's are well used to travelling considerable distances because the country is so vast. My brother lived there about 30 years ago and used to travel about 50km to get his groceries a few times a week.
Yeah 50km is probably right next door in Australian terms. I was answering that to a post speculating it would be cross-continent or something.

Matriac

Yeah 50km is probably right next door in Australian terms. I was answering that to a post speculating it would be cross-continent or something.
Maybe take a look at the actual Mariners fan who replied a few posts over you (quoted below).

Hey Guys
As a fan of CCM myself and many other fans of the club we would welcome Man Utd in buying us except for the Relocation of the club, We have had a tough couple of years but the club has been struggling with funds from our current owner. Back in our Early days we filled the Stadium (which is 20k) but yeah recent years of results dropped us down to between (5-10k). Central coast is in Between Newcastle and Sydney with our main rivals being Newcastle there's no hope in hell i'll be supporting the relocation. The owner in the past has played games out of North Sydney due to not getting his way regarding a spat with the Central Coast Council due to Stadium Cost's (which is still one of the lowest in the league).

Australia has a fair bit of Asian Immigration so Players from Asia are fair welcome and often praised in Australia due to there Technical Ability (compared to us anyway) where we are a lot more Physical. Just came here to see what you guys opinion was and found this thread and thought i'd reply
While 50km might not be that long by Australian standards, it still messes with locations of where rival clubs are based.

Imagine if United fans living in Manchester had to travel to liverpool to watch their team play.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don't the Australians/Koreans not like the Japanese because of WW2 (yes, still). As in there'd be a considerable amount of 'don't go there that league is for the _______ bastards/don't sign those ______ bastards' especially if this part is true:
I can't speak for South Koreans, but Australia and Japan have had a friendly relationship for decades. In fact I'd say Japan is probably the average Aussies favourite Asian country, and both countries always have a lot of tourists from the other.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It will help is lure the best Asian talent, which is a market that we need to exploit. It would prove to be a lucrative one to exploit if we end up signing the next big thing from Japan, South Korea or China etc.
Who are? Asia is hardly famous for producing WC talent. Maybe Son and 1 or 2 others but I don't think spending so much money on another club when we need to be revitalised ourselves is the way to go. Knowing the Glazers they won't be spending their own money and will be borrowing against the equity they already have. Namely us. Having a few million more supporters who for the majority probably won't spend a penny seems more of a whim than an actual money making plan. They've proved with us they've no idea of how to run a top level football club. Why would it be any different at a lower tier club?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Who are? Asia is hardly famous for producing WC talent. Maybe Son and 1 or 2 others but I don't think spending so much money on another club when we need to be revitalised ourselves is the way to go. Knowing the Glazers they won't be spending their own money and will be borrowing against the equity they already have. Namely us. Having a few million more supporters who for the majority probably won't spend a penny seems more of a whim than an actual money making plan. They've proved with us they've no idea of how to run a top level football club. Why would it be any different at a lower tier club?
Takefusa Kubo , Takehiro Tomiyasu , Daichi Kamada etc are just some of the players that have been bought by clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany for peanuts and start games for their respective clubs in major European leagues. And that's just from my observation of watching football. There's a lot of talent in South Korea and Japan that we need to position ourselves for IMO. And it would also prove to be very lucrative for the club in the long term.

The Glazer's buying a satellite club won't have any impact on our transfer spend. Or do you really think the reported £8m it will take to buy the Central Coast Mariners, will have a impact on our transfer spend?

The Glazer's seem to be running their NFL team quite well at the moment. Tampa bay Buccaneers are the Super bowl champions, and have only ever won the title twice, both times under the Glazer's. And at United (United kingdom too) we've had a way of doing things for a very long time, where the first team manager controls the footballing side of the club, when it comes to recruitment. So old habits die hard and now we've got a structure in place which is similar to what we see at other European clubs.