United in talks to buy Central Coast Mariners & relocate them to Sydney

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Another point: we have one of the best academies in the world but 99% of the players won't make it here. Having a secondary club at a lower level allows the club to not have to release all the players but some of them can be moved on to the secondary club.
That's right, and we're seeing that with City, who are stockpiling on the best young players around.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Hasn't been a hotbed of talent in recent years so could be due a big wave. Either way we won't see anything beneficial short term. I get the feeling this is the Glazers way of making the United portfolio more impressive without having to do an awful lot.

Teja

What happened to the good old parent / feeder club model? Maybe to bypass loan requirements? (e.g., if a player is fully transferred to another club you own, then they don't count as being "on loan"?)

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
This is stupid and moving clubs is evil. If United have to buy a club or invest in one, it should be one in the EU to help deal with the impact of Brexit.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I dont see what benefit this has to fans of Man Utd - I'd prefer all our resources to be focused on improving the playing squad or the stadium

Tarrou

why not just buy one of the Sydney clubs instead?

this would be a really bad PR move from the club IMO

stevoc

Could this mean there would finally be a club out there willing to take Phil Jones?

Red_toad

No they need to buy Perth Glory and leave them where they are..... Then I can go see whomever they loan to the club and support my local team etc :drool:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I bet it was some technical exchange programme that somehow spun out of control into some rumour of a United buyout. It serves absolutely no strategic interest for United to invest in the Australian league as its first foray.

POF

I'm all for it. I wouldn't worry about all 200 fans of the Mariners either. They're a no mark club going absolutely nowhere. I would miss their ground on the roundabout with the giant ketchup and mustard bottles though.

It would be a huge move for Australian football. Imagine a club team getting to play a Manchester United club in the FFA cup.

MinGin

Would it finally turn to Glazer own that club in 100% right of ownership but Man United paid all the money by a debit ?

TsuWave

Surely this is a joke, right?

You would expect this from one of the evil trifecta who have ruined football, not one of the noble knight traditional big clubs...
the idea of noble knight football clubs :lol:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really not seeing much of a benefit to this one other than marketing.

I'm not sure I like the idea of relocating a club either, if we want a sydney based club, just buy one of those. Otherwise you are just deleting all the existing fans and starting from scratch.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It will help is lure the best Asian talent, which is a market that we need to exploit. It would prove to be a lucrative one to exploit if we end up signing the next big thing from Japan, South Korea or China etc.
SEA talents is more likely.

The top talents in Japan, South Korea and China won't be going to Australia. They're better off getting scouted and brought over to the European football academies directly than having to go through Australia.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
SEA talents is more likely.

The top talents in Japan, South Korea and China won't be going to Australia. They're better off getting scouted and brought over to the European football academies directly than having to go through Australia.
They will join Man Utd's sister club, with United coaches at the club. And it would be more beneficial for the youngsters to participate in the A-League and Asian champions league under the supervision of United coaches, rather than play in our 23s, which is a much weaker competition IMO.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I know nothing of Australian geography. How far a relocation would that be?
Depending where they play on the North shore. There are two possible locations for games, Brookvale oval which is 73kms south of their current ground by road and North Sydney Oval is 80kms south. Their purpose built training facility is a further 20kms North of the stadium - no idea if that would be retained. The current club is about half way between Newcastle (Jets) and the proposed Sydney sites.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
why not just buy one of the Sydney clubs instead?

this would be a really bad PR move from the club IMO
None are for sale though. Central Coast have in effect been for sale for some time. The PR might not be great but how many will really care? After years of being shit but now top of the table they still have only had home crows in the range of 3-5000 per game. Capacity is 20k although the maximum is less during covid. I'd assume a move south is trying to at least match the larger crowds Sydney FC and Western Sydney get.

A bid minus for me is they will move to playing on ovals which have shit line of sight for football.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
None are for sale though. Central Coast have in effect been for sale for some time. The PR might not be great but how many will really care? After years of being shit but now top of the table they still have only had home crows in the range of 3-5000 per game. I'd assume a move south is trying to at least match the larger crowds Sydney FC and Western Sydney get.
One of the Sydney clubs has taken issue with the potential relocation plan, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure how credible this particular news is, but United buying a sister club would be beneficial in the long run IMO. There's a number of 17/18 year olds at the academy who would've benefitted playing in higher level competitions regularly against grown men.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
One of the Sydney clubs has taken issue with the potential relocation plan, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
Sydney FC I'd assume as Western Sydney won't draw from the North Shore.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It was always bound to happen with CFG, RedBull and other type of deals happening.

Btw I think one of the best Aussie prospects right now Alou Kuol, plays for CCM right now.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I've always wanted united to own a secondary club but I always thought it would be a NASL or USL side in the states. I can't really see the benefits of owning an Aussie club, then again what do I know?
You need to look at it from a business perspective. Not a football fans.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
How about using the money to invest in the stadium/squad you feckers!
The club itself won't buy Central Coast Mariners, it would most likely be the Glazers themselves.

The club (CCM) is cash strapped so most likely won't cost anywhere near a prem club, CCM were founded in the early 2000's, I don't think they'll cost anywhere near a Jesse Lingard (£20M), So I wouldn't expect it to put anywhere near a dent in Man Utds finances if they were to purchase them with the clubs money. (Which I highly doubt)

City paid more than $11 million for an 80 per-cent stake in Melbourne Heart in 2014 before buying the remaining 20 per-cent for $2.25 million. A price tag for the licence of the Mariners is yet to be agreed upon with United but any fee would be but a drop in the ocean for one of the wealthiest sporting brands in the world.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...t-mariners-and-move-them-20210412-p57ijh.html

That being said who cares? City have got loads of clubs from around the world, 10 in total, no one knows how much it has helped them but you could assume it has helped the finances of their main asset, City themselves.

I'm all for it if it's the first step on the rung for a collection of clubs that United can build a franchise on as it would only help United in the long run.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I see no issue with buying another club. It's likely to be good in the long run for brand exposure etc.

But I do have an issue with the relocation plan and the likely rebrand. Yes the clubs only been around 15 years, but assuming it changes location, name and colours and become like Sydney United, thats just really horrible for the fans they do have? Their current stadium looks pretty cool as well.

I just disagree with the moving on teams in football.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm not sure how credible this particular news is, but United buying a sister club would be beneficial in the long run IMO. There's a number of 17/18 year olds at the academy who would've benefitted playing in higher level competitions regularly against grown men.
Maybe it would be beneficial but a sister club somewhere in Europe or even North America makes more sense - this is literally the other side of the world

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe it would be beneficial but a sister club somewhere in Europe or even North America makes more sense - this is literally the other side of the world
It's beneficial for numerous reasons as mentioned earlier in the thread. But from a football perspective, it would open up the asian market to us potentially with Australia being part of the Asian Confederation. And from my observation of watching youth football over the years, nations like Japan and South Korea have some very talented young players that we should position ourselves for. It's about creating a pathway to exploit a potentially very lucrative market.

That doesn't mean we can't do similar elsewhere in the world, similar to what City and the Red Bull club have done. This won't affect our transfer budget.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
One of the best logos in football. As long as that doesn't change.

'77FACup

Glazer’s must think Usain Bolt is still at the Mariners and are thinking how many shirts they can sell or maybe our next RW

red thru&thru

Absolutely agree.

This should've happened earlier, but it's good to hear we're looking into it. The location is also good due to the potential of picking up top young talent from Australia/Asia.
And it's an area that Mick P has good connections. Irrespective of what people think, what City Football Group have done is reall astute. Not only building connections for players etc, the fan base they will grow with all these connections will be really important too.

red thru&thru

What about the supporters of the club in question? Clubs aren't there to be bought and sold by Man Utd and the Glazer mafia just because it further enhances the franchise. This is gross.
I understand what you're saying. Pretty sure this isn't the way the people connected would want this to happen. However, it is vital for the future of our club to make these type of connections/purchases.