United legend compares Old Trafford starlet to Gunners' great

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Manchester United legend Arthur Albiston has been extremely impressed with Paul Pogba’s first outings for the Premier League champions’ Under-18 side, so much so, he has compared the controversial youngster to Arsenal great Patrick Vieira. The former United stalwart claims the 16-year-old Frenchman who was signed from Le Havre in the summer, has all the tools to be a brilliant player at the club.

Albiston told the Manchester Evening News: “He was at the centre of that controversy with Le Havre but signed for the Reds in October.”

“When I saw the 16-year-old make his debut for the United academy side at Crewe my first thoughts were: ‘He looks and plays exactly like Patrick Vieira!’”

“He is very tall for a midfielder like former Arsenal player Vieira and is gangly but he has a lovely touch on the ball. He can pick a pass out superbly.”
“The physical side of the English game will be no problem to him.”

“He's got a great strike on him from outside the box and hit a fabulous shot on that debut that cracked against the underside of the bar.”

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
I'm starting to think that it's impossible for a young central midfielder to be tall, thin, black and French and not be compared to Vieira.

Pogba's a class act though, from the couple of games I've seen him in anyway.
If Carlton Palmer had been French, he would have been compared to Vieira

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He certainly is an exciting player. But his passing is so good that a comparison to a Carrick is as valid as a comparison to a Vieira.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
In what possible sense is Arthur Albiston a 'legend'?
Only nine football players have played more Manchester United games than old Arthur.

And along with Ole, he's the only United player to also have played for Molde FK.

Great Hat

In what possible sense is Arthur Albiston a 'legend'?

It's like that other thread about United 'legends' being told they can't watch the match... legends like Lee Martin...
He's one of the best full backs we've ever had at the club; a great crosser of the ball, and a solid ballwinner. Some people seem to fob off great former players too often; with the exception of an apparently golden two or three.

Viera is an obvious comparison to make with Pogba, though not necessarily one I disagree with. Both are strong in the challenge, can trouble the keeper from range, and Pogba seems to have a similar determination and hassling in his game; although it's too early to say he's got the potential to be quite as good as Viera.

I can't find anything to argue with in Albiston's comments though.

prateik

so aside from the similar appearance/stature and the fact that he plays in midfield , what else does he have in common ..

1 academy game enough to judge his strengths and style of play and determine how he will progress .. we should hire him as our scout

rocks13

so aside from the similar appearance/stature and the fact that he plays in midfield , what else does he have in common ..

1 academy game enough to judge his strengths and style of play and determine how he will progress .. we should hire him as our scout
Both their surnames end in a.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

They don't look remotely similar in appearance, apart from both having dark skin i.e. as similar in appearance as David Beckham and Luke Chadwick

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
So Diouf will automatically be considered legend as soon as he sets foot at OT?
If he goes on to play nearly 400 games in 15 years at Utd who knows.

Albiston's status as a legend or not isn't really the point of the thread.