United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Manos

Would people prefer Giggs or Kluivert as our assistant manager? Bear in mind Kluivert is an excellent assistant and has cherished working under Van Gaal.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm not sure about that. I think he tends to underperform when things are emotionally based - he tries to do too much and ends up failing at too much and succeeding at next to nothing. Which of course, brings out that 18 year old petulant kid inside of him and turns him into a volatile player. I do agree he'll give it his all, though. I hope he does. He's far too good to sell, contrary to many beliefs. I just can't see him in a different colour shirt too.

Re: RvP and Rooney in one team, van Gaal did play a 4231 with Olic and Muller, and I'm sure he could replicate it with our two, who are in essence superior football players. The only question is what happens to Mata...
Rooney isn't a better/superior player than Muller, at-least not for that position Van Gaal plays him. Muller posseses much higher footballing intelligence than Rooney, although the later is more talented.

Red For Ever

More than likely they saw his post-match interview and have jumped to conclusions. I doubt he's even been asked who he would prefer, let alone offered an opinion on it.

I agree, saying he supports Giggs, who he has played alongside many times, and possibly are friends, is not the same as saying he does not want LVG

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Would people prefer Giggs or Kluivert as our assistant manager? Bear in mind Kluivert is an excellent assistant and has cherished working under Van Gaal.
At some point I can't imagine Giggsy not being a part of United future and team's building process but as usual, new manager will have his last word in choosing his assistant.

Dilemma is still there.

Kag

Apparently he works with two assistants. A few of the articles I've read recently suggest that he will be open to having Giggs as part of his team, as well as Kluivert.

Like everybody, I'm terribly nervous. Van Gaal will be an exciting appointment, it will be a ride, but it's going to be a scary one, and one that will have some heavy bumps along the way. However, I look at the names: Van Gaal, Kluivert, Giggs, Scholes. With these men in and around the coaching staff, how can United fail? The talent is there, the CV's are glittering, my only fear is that they struggle to work together. I really hope they do, because with Van Gaal's possession-based, attacking football, in tandem with the ferocity of the football Giggs and Scholes would look to espouse, there could be a great marriage of football there. On the other hand, there could be a huge clash of culture.

Overall, I think United need modernising on the field. We have needed it for a few years now. By all accounts we're going to improve the squad. We will improve on the manager, regardless. We will see attacking football. It's just a simple - not so simple - case of doing it as quickly and quietly as possible.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Giggs in all fairness doesn't have to be assistant manager, he can still be part of the coaching staff, hell.. he might even still be part of the playing staff next year mind.
Was Guardiola even Barca's assistant manager? he was their B team manager I believe? so if thats the case I'd be comfortable so long as hes still on the staff in some capacity regardless of AM or what not.

itso 7

Good thing van Gaal won't play Rooney just because he's Rooney. If he thinks the team performs better with Mata in the no.10 role, he will play Mata. Look again at Rivaldo situation at Barca.
Yeah I remember Litmanen behind Kluivert, Rivaldo on the left and Figo on the eight . Team shape and the system should come before personal considerations imo doesn't matter who it is be it Rooney, Mata or Van Persie !

Plugsy

The rise of the pink shirts in Europe

More evidence here, he has an army of them now

Kaos

If Rooney doesn't want van Gaal at the club then the first thing I hope van Gaal does is show the overpaid, sulking cnut the door.

Mind you I think its bollocks though.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Rooney will have to give 100% each and every training session or else he will be dropped regardless of how well he does during games. van Gaal dropped Rivaldo, he will drop Rooney if he sees a lack of effort although this season Rooney has really impressed me with the level of effort he's given when all of our players were playing really bad.

Here's a tribute from the gift that keeps on giving. Finally we're getting another exciting manager. :)
There's a few of them, I just found them. He's mad. Brilliant, but mad.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
There's a few of them, I just found them. He's mad. Brilliant, but mad.
Do the players take him seriously? :lol: In some videos some of the players are laughing while he's yelling at someone. I want to know what he's telling them! :lol:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

You've got to say, the man really loves his passing drills and this particular one looks really intense.

Plugsy

Tempo with the ball is what we've been missing. With the players we have we really shouldn't be a side that looks as uncomfortable on the ball as we have done.

SirFergie

Tempo with the ball is what we've been missing. With the players we have we really shouldn't be a side that looks as uncomfortable on the ball as we have done.
I saw a marked improvement yesterday, especially 2nd half. Even in the 1st we played some good, fast-ish stuff without going anywhere but for me, it's quite obvious that Moyes didn't do nearly enough ball training as he should have done.

crossy1686

career ending
The same Dutch media that broke the news that it was a done deal, are now saying Rooney does not want Van Gaal preferring Giggs instead.
Yeah but they're basing that on the the interview he gave after the game surely? Rooney never said that he'd prefer Giggs though, all he said was that Giggs was made to be a manager, nothing more. I seriously doubt Rooney would be upset no matter who came in. Such is his desire to win he'd play his heart out even if we didn't have a manager. Plus, when all said and done, Rooney doesn't get to pick who manages United.

Brightonian

I saw a marked improvement yesterday, especially 2nd half. Even in the 1st we played some good, fast-ish stuff without going anywhere but for me, it's quite obvious that Moyes didn't do nearly enough ball training as he should have done.
Although to be fair, we looked comfortable on the ball against Everton, too. The possession football was excellent, as almost every pundit has acknowledged. It was the total lack of goal threat that was a bit shit (and the defensive mistakes, I suppose.)

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Under Moyes we played really slow and kept the possession well but we never really tried to play in between their defenders. The passing was always in front of the opposition and we rarely tried going through the opposition using fast combination play and most of the time our formation looked like a very flat 4-4-2 with no players in between the lines which makes it very predictable and doesn't really give you that many options as a player when you have possession.

We were too slow and predictable which for me was why he was sacked.

With Giggs in charge it was different. Our passing had purpose, our attackers made runs with purpose and played through their defense instead of just playing it safe and that is the Manchester United way. Without risks you don't get any rewards and Moyes too many times played it too safe.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Although to be fair, we looked comfortable on the ball against Everton, too. The possession football was excellent, as almost every pundit has acknowledged. It was the total lack of goal threat that was a bit shit (and the defensive mistakes, I suppose.)
I think it's the pace on the ball that shows your intent as much as anything. Against Everton we passed it like mugs and created very little. We tried to put more pace on our passes it seems - against Norwich, and that helped our tempo. Even in the first half, we tried to pass it quicker. Hopefully we see that in the next 3 games.

You cannot have that much of the ball and only have a handful of shots on goal (if that) to show for it. All that tells you is that, you might as well have been passing the ball in your penalty area. We should be able to manage 20 or so shots on goal at Old Trafford most games. The players should know this and trust in their quality.

Empire

What we displayed against Everton was ineffective possession. We want effective possession. That means moving the ball quickly and moving around creating space to receive it in dangerous areas. Moving the ball with intent and purpose and then moving into space to receive the ball in threatening positions.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
What evidence is there to suggest that Kluivert is an excellent assistant? Genuine question.

Last edited:

Ralph1386

Giggs in all fairness doesn't have to be assistant manager, he can still be part of the coaching staff, hell.. he might even still be part of the playing staff next year mind.
Was Guardiola even Barca's assistant manager? he was their B team manager I believe? so if thats the case I'd be comfortable so long as hes still on the staff in some capacity regardless of AM or what not.
Giggs can be Reserve Team coach or better, Youth Team Coach. These are two other options for him to learn the trade on.

Plugsy

Giggs can be Reserve Team coach or better, Youth Team Coach. These are two other options for him to learn the trade on.
I'd still prefer if he got some experience away from the club too. van Gaal must have contacts and mates in on the continent. Get him a job at Ajax or in Germany or something for a couple of years, bring him back after two or three and see what he's learned and if he's still up for it.

Ralph1386

Apparently he works with two assistants. A few of the articles I've read recently suggest that he will be open to having Giggs as part of his team, as well as Kluivert.

Like everybody, I'm terribly nervous. Van Gaal will be an exciting appointment, it will be a ride, but it's going to be a scary one, and one that will have some heavy bumps along the way. However, I look at the names: Van Gaal, Kluivert, Giggs, Scholes. With these men in and around the coaching staff, how can United fail? The talent is there, the CV's are glittering, my only fear is that they struggle to work together. I really hope they do, because with Van Gaal's possession-based, attacking football, in tandem with the ferocity of the football Giggs and Scholes would look to espouse, there could be a great marriage of football there. On the other hand, there could be a huge clash of culture.

Overall, I think United need modernising on the field. We have needed it for a few years now. By all accounts we're going to improve the squad. We will improve on the manager, regardless. We will see attacking football. It's just a simple - not so simple - case of doing it as quickly and quietly as possible.
I think that would be the main positive of signing Van Gaal rather than bringing in someone internally. Van Gall would bring something new to United that we've been lacking in recent years, as you said.

Ralph1386

I'd still prefer if he got some experience away from the club too. van Gaal must have contacts and mates in on the continent. Get him a job at Ajax or in Germany or something for a couple of years, bring him back after two or three and see what he's learned and if he's still up for it.
Makes sense, but the question is does Giggsy want to manage elsewhere?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
They are probably just guessing we are going with those players because of the agent guy sat next to Fergie yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.